Type keyword(s) to search

The Theory of Everything (2014)

SallyAlbright
  • Start Topic

I gotta say, I found this rather formulaic. I agree with ancslove that Eddie Redmayne was terrific, but as a whole, the film just felt like a conventional bio-pic, and if ever a subject cried out for an original take on an well-used format, it's Hawking. 

And what was with the horrible make up? No one could figure out how to age Felicity Jones believably, so they just stuck her in progressively dowdier hair and wardrobe.  The make up people were completely incapable of convincing me this actress had aged 25 years over the course of the film. 

On an interesting note: Emily "Breaking the Waves" Watson is now playing grandmothers. Wish I was smart enough to make a pithy remark about the nature of time.

Edited by A Boston Gal

Just saw this and was blown away by Eddie's portrayal of Hawking. Just amazing. My husband was placing bets on how many times I would cry in this movie. I'm happy to say that he over-estimated (though not by much). Jane's love and dedication to Stephen was beautiful and heart-breaking. Watching them fall in love and commit to each other despite the spectre of an early death looming over him was so incredibly touching.

I think this is also the only time I have ever seen a 'love triangle' wherein I actually liked all parties and felt there was no villain. I am presuming that Jane slept with the dude when they were camping but I got the distinct impression that Stephen had picked up on their reluctant (and thus far unacted upon) feelings for each other and kind of gave his blessing when he asked the guy to accompany Jane and the kids to France. I'm glad that Jane and Stephen parted on amicable terms and that they both seemed to find their own happiness.

I didn't quite understand the bit with his nurse/assistant. When he said that he would be asking her to travel with him to America, his marriage to Jane basically ended and I was confused. Did he want a romantic relationship with the woman? Or was he saying that he wanted to MOVE to America and therefore wouldn't ask Jane to drop everything and go with him? Or was there something else that I missed?

Also loved his Cambridge friend. When Stephen revealed his illness, I thought the actor did a great job with his reaction. And then much later on in their lives, when they were all drunk and he carried Stephen up a flight of stairs and deposited him into a statue's lap while he went back to retrieve the wheelchair? Priceless. A lovely depiction of a true friendship...

The movie makes me want to read Hawking's books. My understanding is that A Brief History of Time is in layman's terms, so hopefully I will understand it...

• Love 2

Just saw this and was blown away by Eddie's portrayal of Hawking. Just amazing. My husband was placing bets on how many times I would cry in this movie. I'm happy to say that he over-estimated (though not by much). Jane's love and dedication to Stephen was beautiful and heart-breaking. Watching them fall in love and commit to each other despite the spectre of an early death looming over him was so incredibly touching.

I think this is also the only time I have ever seen a 'love triangle' wherein I actually liked all parties and felt there was no villain. I am presuming that Jane slept with the dude when they were camping but I got the distinct impression that Stephen had picked up on their reluctant (and thus far unacted upon) feelings for each other and kind of gave his blessing when he asked the guy to accompany Jane and the kids to France. I'm glad that Jane and Stephen parted on amicable terms and that they both seemed to find their own happiness.

I didn't quite understand the bit with his nurse/assistant. When he said that he would be asking her to travel with him to America, his marriage to Jane basically ended and I was confused. Did he want a romantic relationship with the woman? Or was he saying that he wanted to MOVE to America and therefore wouldn't ask Jane to drop everything and go with him? Or was there something else that I missed?

Also loved his Cambridge friend. When Stephen revealed his illness, I thought the actor did a great job with his reaction. And then much later on in their lives, when they were all drunk and he carried Stephen up a flight of stairs and deposited him into a statue's lap while he went back to retrieve the wheelchair? Priceless. A lovely depiction of a true friendship...

The movie makes me want to read Hawking's books. My understanding is that A Brief History of Time is in layman's terms, so hopefully I will understand it...

I too thought that Hawking's friend (Harry Lloyd) was wonderful. His role was small, but effective enough that I couldn't believe I was watching the same guy who played Viserys on Game of Thrones! He was such an evil jerk to Daenerys but such a sweet and understanding friend in this film. 

I also found the love triangle very sympathetic, as all three people were kind and sympathetic characters. Jonathan truly was a nice man who started out only wanting to help these people and couldn't help falling for Jane. In the same vein, I couldn't fault Jane for developing feelings for a man who is handsome, sweet, kind and so helpful to her family. Perhaps my favorite part of the film was the fact that Redmayne portrayed Hawking's gradual understanding beautifully. I really felt like Stephen "got it" and loved Jane enough to let her go and be happy. It is also my understanding (not 100% sure) that Hawking was eventually romantically involved (married?) with his nurse Elaine. So, with that in mind, I read his telling Jane that she was going to America with him as his letting her know he had a romantic interest too and that it was "okay" to be with someone else now. 

Yes, Hawking left in 1990, but didn't divorce Jane and marry Elaine until 1995; from what I've read his family and staff were concerned about his well-being during that marriage.    In any event, he and Elaine divorced in 2006.   

Edited by jcin617

I just got back from seeing the movie and I loved it.  I was prepared to cry, but didn't do more than tear up.  It was a beautiful movie--both visually and with the superb performances.  I can't imagine Eddie Redmayne not getting an Oscar nomination for this role.  It was so physically demanding and he was excellent.  Everyone was, imo. 

As for the love triangle, I was at times sympathetic and at times bothered by it, but still understood it.  I have a friend who is the caregiver for her husband as he progresses with MS and its exhausting for her. And they don't have kids, nor is MS as debilitating as ALS.  What strength of character Jane must have to do that all those years.  I'm glad they are still friends.

I like the movie a lot.  Both the leads were spectacular.  I found Elaine rather creepy, though, for some reason.  It seemed she just moved right in and pushed Jane out.  I'm sure it wasn't that simplistic, but I didn't like her as she was portrayed.

Bet those scientistics who called it poppycock and left Hawking's lecture(?) regretted that.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this movie. I did kind of wonder, though, how many storytelling decisions were due to its being based on a book that Jane wrote. You know, she is the one who notices him at the party and falls in love with him. She takes care of him all the way through. Stephen ultimately gives his blessing for her and John. Aaand...she remains youthful-looking throughout.

Wow, I finally got a chance to see this, and the acting just blew me away.  Eddie and Felicity are both excellent.

Except for the hair being too long for 1963, the clothes and set designs were really true to the era.

I kept trying to figure out where I knew Stephen's flatmate Brian from - he was Viserys Targaryen from GoT.  But the movie is full of HITG moments - Jane's second husband Jonathan is going to be Daredevil in the upcoming TV series, Jane's mother was Emily Watson from just about anything you can imagine. I know I know Stephen's father from something but I don't know from what.  And of course, David Thewlis.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 1
I kept trying to figure out where I knew Stephen's flatmate Brian from - he was Viserys Targaryen from GoT.  But the movie is full of HIGT moments - Jane's second husband Jonathan is going to be Daredevil in the upcoming TV series, Jane's mother was Emily Watson from just about anything you can imagine. I know I know Stephen's father from something but I don't know from what.  And of course, David Thewlis.

Stephen's father is Simon McBurney. He's been in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Golden Compass; Vicar of Dibley; Last King of Scotland, and lots of other things.

Something that I quite like about the UK entertainment and acting as a whole is that the whole industry is all HITG. Even more wonderfully, UK actors go from stage/TV/movies all the time. I first saw Felicity when she was a young actress on a kids TV show; I'm really glad for her success.

• Love 2

I just saw this last night (I know) and I really enjoyed it. Of course ER got the flashier "oscar bait" role but I thought the subtle choices he made early on to show you the start of the disease were really nice and he did an overall great job especially with just his facial expressions.  I was just floored by FJ though, I knew she was nominated for an Oscar but I had no idea how good she really was with such a different, quieter role.  Of course I was racking my brain trying to figure out why Jonathan looked familiar and not until the credits did I realize it was Daredevil, nice to see a completely different character for him.  Of course Harry Lloyd plays another sweet guy, I think he only ever played evil on GoT. Great cast all around and enjoyable.

I enjoyed the movie, but it was all about Eddie as Hawking, and nothing else really stood up to that. I don't know that I want to see it again. It was interesting, and the performances were terrific, but that was it. Pity because I am a big fan of Hawking even though I have no clue what he's on about; I enjoyed the Imitation Game far more, although I suppose they had more dramatic material to work with.