Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Mortality

Mia Nina

I thought this one was pretty good, actually, even though I'm pretty sure this diseases lowers IQs. But seriously, Dwight, you can't find a less dramatic and risky way to demonstrate the troubles? That vest sure leaves a lot of exposed Dwight parts! And I so knew CDC lady wasn't -- so now I'm looking forward to seeing who she is, which is a nice way to leave an episode these days.

• Love 1

So, if the vision of Audrey dying at the same time as her "twin sister" is accurate, does that mean that the death of either will kill the other or just that a catastrophic event kills them at the same time? Also, could the coughing sickness that is related neither to a pathogen nor to the contagion trouble be the manifestation of Audrey's trouble?

Duke, Duke, I hope you are just giving Mara enough rope to hang herself because otherwise you are being very, very stupid. 

• Love 1

I wish they wouldn't have Audrey be so..... I think the word would be, flat.   They gave all of the spark to Mara and I think that is a huge mistake.  Also they have made her inept in many respects and I am hating that.   This is rapidly becoming the Duke, Mara and Dwight show.  How did that happen?  Audrey and Nathan have become bit players. 

So, what is wrong with Audrey and who is this new Doctor?  But more importantly, will we get any answers before the last episode of the series.  Please don't give me new questions until you have answered more of the old ones.

I thought that Duke wasn't able to take away troubles anymore?  I thought his trouble had changed.  Apparently I am not paying enough attention.  This new season isn't as appealing to me as this show has been in the past.  I think it's the whole Mara thing.  When you spend 4 seasons rooting for your protagonist and then they turn her into the antagonist who has always been evil that pivot is too jarring,  Especially when you try to give us back the protagonist but take all of her mojo away from her.  When you make her stupid and dull and almost simpering are you trying to give us some sort of message.  So good needs evil to be interesting but evil does not need good to be interesting.   Interesting theory.

• Love 2

So what's the deal with Audrey being sick?

With luck, she and Mara will both die (since they die together). The boys will have operatic grief and then get on with their lives.

In other words, I'm finding this season difficult to watch. I hate what they've done with Duke's character since he has,since season one, been my reason for watching. Mara has been boringly one note. Audrey is even more saccharin than ever. Nathan is Nathan. Still like Vince and Dave - would like more from them.

Am mildly interested in who the CDC lady is. Audrey had best let them know that she and Mara are still I some way connected or they are likely to kill Mara and take Audrey out. Unless, of course, the message of you both go together was that they need to reintegrate the evil and good Audrey for her to survive?

• Love 2

So what's the deal with Audrey being sick?

My theory is that Audrey is sick because of her split from Mara. Her symptoms reminded me of the CK when he came out of the Barn. Perhaps Mara is like Audrey's Barn. She can't survive long outside of Mara, after all she was an implanted personality.

Was wrong about Charlotte causing the Trouble, but she is an interesting character. She seems so genuine, don't want her to turn out to be evil. Her appearance reminded me of Audrey's arrival back in season 1, perhaps she thinks she is who she says she is? Otherwise if she is a sinister presence then they'll be in big Trouble.

Was uncharacteristic of Dwight to reveal everything to Charlotte like that, he has been keeping things under wraps for a long time. He is already acting out of character because of a woman he has just met? I guess it's a convenient plot device.

Overall it was good episode, fast paced with a lot action. I think Duke having all those Troubles within him is useful for Mara and she is probably waiting for the chance to manipulate the situation but is gaining Duke's trust first.

I find it interesting that Mara describes releasing of Troubles as venting. William talked about the Troubles being as a release.

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 1

My theory is that Audrey is sick because of her split from Mara.

Same here. I think Audrey is struggling by herself (I could be projecting, of course) and that's why she's so flat. I think it would make perfect sense since a big part of Audrey's previous identity came from her being the latest version of some strange prototype but not exactly knowing who patient zero was, what lives she touched as other people, etc., as well as being immune to the troubles. Now she's just plain Audrey, in her own body, and that's a drastic shift from her first, more mysterious role.

• Love 1

Just thought of something, regarding the prediction of both Audrey and Mara expiring at the same time.

Perhaps this is leading to a situation where Mara has to "die"-not get buried beneath the Audrey persona, but gone, dead-or at least, her entity sent back from whence she came, while at the same time Audrey moves back in and takes over the body-the one with the trouble immunity. So the prediction would be right-Mara would "die", and Audrey would take over Mara's body again, with her split self disappearing, i.e. "dying"

I didn't think at first that Duke had used a resurrection trouble to get Audrey back-there seems to be hints aplenty that suggest just that-Audrey questioning whether she's "real", her getting sick in the first place, which was supposedly only to affect troubled people. Audrey is not immune to the troubles, but her trouble is what's keeping her alive-Duke's trouble. Her still being sick seems to indicate that as she exists now, she has a short shelf life. This then forces everybody's hand on dealing with Mara once and for all.

Of course, I could just be talking out of my ass...

Edited by StarBrand
  • Love 1

I thought that Duke wasn't able to take away troubles anymore?  I thought his trouble had changed.  Apparently I am not paying enough attention.

No. Its not that. The show gets too convoluted at times that it trips itself up. That's why my dad stopped watching.

Anyway. Duke killed his brother and lost his trouble. Then there was this baby who's cry kills people at random. Audrey retroubled Duke with his family curse but screwed it up. He's still able to kill people to end the troubles. but, now he has this nifty side effect of releasing troubles. So retroubled isn't a word, thank you spell check.

This episode made me miss the old days of Audrey and Nathan solving troubles, competing and getting snarky with each other. Before I watched the ep this morning, I had  been contemplating Audrey's realness. It was better than thinking about the fact that I needed to take my garbage out. So it weirded it me out when she did it in the episode.  I confess I didn't watch the whole ep. I missed all the Charlotte stuff, I'll read about it later.

I'm not sure why Audrey being an implanted personality on Mara was cool for me, but whatever she is now kinda freaks me out a little. I still have conflicting feelings about Mara. I like Emily's portrayal and watching her, but I'm sick of this storyline. I like the Duke and Mara scenes and the chemistry, but I hate the idea of Duke getting an Audrey consolation prize. You get an Audrey, and you get an Audrey.

I may be crazy, but the way Dwight has been actin, I'm all on the Duke paranoia train. Though I'm hoping he's just putting truth in with lies and he is on top of his game. Though truth be told he's been up for a mental breakdown for a while.

Nathan was Nathany.

Haven why can't I quit you.

• Love 4

I like the Duke and Mara scenes and the chemistry, but I hate the idea of Duke getting an Audrey consolation prize. You get an Audrey, and you get an Audrey.

I don't think of Mara as a consolation prize because she is the real one, the original as far as we know.  I think things will get complicated if Duke does develop something with Mara and then somehow Audrey is reintegrated into Mara.

Audrey questioning whether she's "real", her getting sick in the first place, which was supposedly only to affect troubled people. Audrey is not immune to the troubles, but her trouble is what's keeping her alive-Duke's trouble. Her still being sick seems to indicate that as she exists now, she has a short shelf life. This then forces everybody's hand on dealing with Mara once and for all.

Her existence had been bugging me ever since the split because she did come out nowhere. I think if the Troubles end so will Audrey's existence because she split from Mara as the result of a Trouble. Don't think Audrey is troubled, her illness was different from the others and continued after Pete was dead. I think she does have a short shelf life and may need to reintegrate with Mara to survive which should prove difficult to say the least.

Edited by BlueJay81

...Was wrong about Charlotte causing the Trouble, but she is an interesting character. She seems so genuine, don't want her to turn out to be evil. Her appearance reminded me of Audrey's arrival back in season 1, perhaps she thinks she is who she says she is? Otherwise if she is a sinister presence then they'll be in big Trouble....

Speaking of convoluted (upthread): Since Audrey is no longer a trouble fixer, maybe that power is now in Charlotte, whith Charlotte being a different version/body of a "real" Charlotte who is still at the CDC headquarters--like when Audrey first came to Haven.
  • Love 2

I don't think of Mara as a consolation prize because she is the real one, the original as far as we know

I was thinking more in terms of the writers dealing with the triangle. Duke and Nathan are in love with Audrey. Both Duke and Nathan get to have one. I already mentioned in previous post either here or elsewhere  my interest in Mara's agency as her own person. I'm talking about the creators of the show trying to solve a non-existent  triangle issue problem.

Edited by icandigit
  • Love 1
So, if the vision of Audrey dying at the same time as her "twin sister" is accurate, does that mean that the death of either will kill the other or just that a catastrophic event kills them at the same time?

My guess is she's going to have to be reintegrated, so when that body eventually dies, both Mara and Audrey will die.

Was wrong about Charlotte causing the Trouble, but she is an interesting character. She seems so genuine, don't want her to turn out to be evil. Her appearance reminded me of Audrey's arrival back in season 1, perhaps she thinks she is who she says she is?

I just had a crazy thought: Could Charlotte be another Haven Saver, sort of Audrey Parker, Mark 2? Only she's one who's flown under the radar so no one remembers her, or else she's new, brought over from the other side to help now that they don't have MarAudrey and given a personality transfer. She was very much like Audrey when she first showed up. If the Chief hadn't been in on it and had called the FBI, they'd have found that the FBI hadn't assigned an agent to Haven, so maybe this is what's going on here. Charlotte thinks she really is Charlotte, who was in the military and now with the CDC, but she's just had the memories of the real Charlotte implanted in her. If she's just an imposter, she really did her homework, since she managed to fool Dwight on the military stuff and Phil and Gloria on the science.

Speaking of Dwight, I think "GI Giant" may be my new favorite nickname for him.

Oh, Duke, what are we doing to do with you? At least he's acting in character, as he has a history of biting at the bait dangled by someone he knows is bad news. The way he's acting with Mara is almost exactly the way he was with the Rev. And if he ends up falling for her, well, he fell in love with Audrey after she manipulated him into killing the organ thief. I guess he's into that sort of thing. But I'm not crazy about him being off on his own plot with Mara, since it means he doesn't interact with Nathan, and that's the most interesting relationship in the show.

I guess killing Phil's Trouble de-activated the Troubles activated by the contagion? Otherwise, I'd have thought that the solution to the oxygen crisis would be to take out Kirk (plus, he's an ass).

It seems like either Mara or Audrey can take an active role in an episode, but not both. If Audrey is doing stuff, Mara gets chained up in the hold. If Mara's doing stuff, then Audrey spends the episode in a hospital bed. Probably because Emily Rose likes sleeping, eating and spending time with her child.

• Love 2

Speaking of convoluted (upthread): Since Audrey is no longer a trouble fixer, maybe that power is now in Charlotte, whith Charlotte being a different version/body of a "real" Charlotte who is still at the CDC headquarters--like when Audrey first came to Haven.

I just had a crazy thought: Could Charlotte be another Haven Saver, sort of Audrey Parker, Mark 2? Only she's one who's flown under the radar so no one remembers her, or else she's new, brought over from the other side to help now that they don't have MarAudrey and given a personality transfer. She was very much like Audrey when she first showed up. If the Chief hadn't been in on it and had called the FBI, they'd have found that the FBI hadn't assigned an agent to Haven, so maybe this is what's going on here. Charlotte thinks she really is Charlotte, who was in the military and now with the CDC, but she's just had the memories of the real Charlotte implanted in her. If she's just an imposter, she really did her homework, since she managed to fool Dwight on the military stuff and Phil and Gloria on the science.

This is the feeling I get from her, she just seems to be really sincere and the role of a CDC doctor would work in a place like Haven. Maybe she is a back up or perhaps there are other Haven saver types.

I was thinking more in terms of the writers dealing with the triangle. Duke and Nathan are in love with Audrey. Both Duke and Nathan get to have one. I already mentioned in previous post either here or elsewhere  my interest in Mara's agency as her own person. I'm talking about the creators of the show trying to solve a non-existent  triangle issue problem.

Oh I agree with that aspect, I think they've had this idea for a long time though. I think perhaps they are trying to suggest that Duke was attracted more to the Mara part of Audrey and Nathan to Audrey, well and Sarah and perhaps other Haven saver personalities. I remember reading the original pilot script and it contained a scene similar to the one in this episode, of Mara being on top of Duke , but then it was Audrey after she'd just arrived. I personally don't buy the whole Duke has a darkness inside him which is the attraction or connection between them but it seems to be what they are going for.

Am also concerned about Mara's agency, in fact I wonder what it was like for her, when all those Haven saver personalities were living their lives in Haven, was she just an observer (like watching tv) or was she experiencing everything as well? If Audrey is reintegrated back into Mara that will create even more issues about her agency.

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 3

I started this episode thinking this wasn't where we left off last week. Unless I missed a part of last week's episode but it's unlikely.

Called Charlotte not being CDC. If she is a HavenSaver, I guess there's no Agent Howard to concern themselves with the minor details like informing her fake employer.

Strange how the aether did not respond to Mara being present.

Edited by Elsinore

I agree that Charlotte may be the new HavenSaver, this time a volunteer dedicated to fixing things rather than the Troublemaker having to do penance. There have been enough memory blackouts for her to have snuck in through a thinnie.

This one was a fun ride. Not quite the level of cascading-Trouble chaos that I was hoping for, but we did get some. I'm with those who're a little bit 'really?' about Pete's death deactivating the Troubles caused by the contagion.

Potential further evidence for Charlotte being the new Troubles-whisperer: Dave's leg started improving after she dealt with it.

But seriously, Dwight, you can't find a less dramatic and risky way to demonstrate the troubles? That vest sure leaves a lot of exposed Dwight parts! 

Between what we've seen of his Trouble and Mara's comment about one of his ancestors taking a cannonball straight to the chest, it looks like bullets are specifically drawn to his center mass, not just his body in general, and I would expect that Dwight knows this by now. He, like Nathan, knows more than he should about getting shot. Hell, they've probably got a bet going about who can get shot more times in one day and keep on going. I'm also not going to complain about the magic kevlar being a bullet cure-all, because they've got that in common with every TV show ever.

I'm enjoying Mara's manipulation of Duke, in that horrible way that I enjoy things that make characters I love suffer. Mara has enough experience to know how to find the cracks in people's armor, and enough of Audrey left in her to know where a lot of Duke's already were. She's basically going down the list of manipulation tactics with him: isolating him, pressuring him to confide in her, making herself look like the only reliable party, and now making him complicit in a murder.

My Australian's current theory: Audrey is made of Aether that was pulled directly out of Duke, which explains both her lack of vitality and the fact that Duke hasn't needed to vent since she showed up.

• Love 4

I like the Duke and Mara scenes and the chemistry, but I hate the idea of Duke getting an Audrey consolation prize. You get an Audrey, and you get an Audrey.

I couldn't agree more with this. I have to admit the show has made me grown fond of Mara, if only because Emily Rose has dug in and I find her compelling (I also enjoyed most of William's appearances last season), but it is awkward watching her and Duke grow closer considering his feelings for Audrey. Granted, I don't think the show will end with Nathan and Duke both going off into the sunset with their respective Audreys, but even the thought of it is disturbing. I do find Duke/Mara entertaining and interesting mostly because unsurprisingly the onscreen chemistry between ER and EB continues to soar, but man.

Anyway, plain and simple I believe the show has neglected "our Audrey" in order to distinguish her from Mara. Our Audrey used to be snarky, sharp and very dynamic, now she's all silent stares, oh and Nathan's loving girlfriend.

But I'm not crazy about him being off on his own plot with Mara, since it means he doesn't interact with Nathan, and that's the most interesting relationship in the show.

Yes, this. He barely interacts with anyone else anymore.

• Love 1

I'm still hoping that Mara is exerting some sort of other worldy influence on Duke because he is being incredibly stupid here.  The problem I have with Mara regaining any  agency is that what agency she has had she's used to straight-up murder people.  So far we've seen her kill 3 people in cold blood (ok Duke probably actually killed the last one but she delivered the fatal blow).  Which is why I don't see the end game being Duke riding off into the sunset with "his Audrey."  She's not just a little bit bad, she's a freaking psychopath.   I do miss snarky feisty Audrey.  Although there was that little funny moment when she asked Nathan if he was going all macho on her, he said yes and she did this little shake of her head that cracked me up.  I want that Audrey back.  The whole thing reminds me of the old original Star Trek episode where Kirk gets split between "good Kirk" and "evil Kirk" and it turns out to be a good captain he needs both.  Yes, I am a nerd, and an old nerd at that. (OK, not quite that old'. I saw it in it's first syndication run so just medium old).

Interesting theory about the CDC lady being the new Haven Saver. Dwight seems quite taken with her, I wonder how he'll feel if she has to get barned. Shoe on the other foot there Dwight.

• Love 1

I am hoping that somehow behind the scenes Duke and Nathan crafted a plan where Duke would try to be on Mara's side. They know she needs a new sidekick/lackey and already expressed an interest in him and his trouble. For once it would mean they're actually thinking and planning and not just reacting. Duke's reasons for alliance with Mara are very contrived and flimsy I just don't buy it.

Audrey is so flat right now that I enjoy Mara much more. Miss season 1 Audrey too but maybe that spark was always Mara.

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 2

I personally don't buy the whole Duke has a darkness inside him which is the attraction or connection between them but it seems to be what they are going for.

"Duke has a darkness inside him" has to be the most ridiculous act of telling rather than showing ever.  As a statement it contradicts every single thing we've seen on screen. If anything, Duke's a sweetie and it's Nathan who has darkness inside him since he's so myopic he's willing to get the whole town get destroyed rather than have to give up his Preeecccciiiiooouuussss.

If Duke isn't playing along with Mara but is actually aligned with her, then this has to be the worst piece of character assassination I've seen.

• Love 8

The whole thing reminds me of the old original Star Trek episode where Kirk gets split between "good Kirk" and "evil Kirk" and it turns out to be a good captain he needs both.  Yes, I am a nerd, and an old nerd at that. (OK, not quite that old'. I saw it in it's first syndication run so just medium old).

I thought the same thing. (I saw that episode, "The Enemy Within," in its original network broadcast, so I really am old.)

• Love 3

I agree that Charlotte may be the new HavenSaver, this time a volunteer dedicated to fixing things rather than the Troublemaker having to do penance. There have been enough memory blackouts for her to have snuck in through a thinnie.

She's not immune to the Troubles though, she reacted to Chris last episode.

• Love 2

Duke was the only one with the sense to open a window when he realized there wasn't enough oxygen in the room, so Yay, Duke! and as a diver, his lung capacity was naturally larger, so continuity, Yay, writers.  Seriously, there were windows in most of those rooms where they stood around gasping like fish on shore and I am yelling at the television like a loon, "Hello, open the windows! Break the windows". "Get outside?" <sigh>  "OK, pass out and fall down."

I am hoping that somehow behind the scenes Duke and Nathan crafted a plan where Duke would try to be on Mara's side. They know she needs a new sidekick/lackey and already expressed an interest in him and his trouble. For once it would mean they're actually thinking and planning and not just reacting.

Oh, me too.  I still have faith in Duke.  He knows what he's doing. (If I repeat that mantra often enough I can stay calm, I hope.)

Audrey is made of Aether that was pulled directly out of Duke, which explains both her lack of vitality and the fact that Duke hasn't needed to vent since she showed up.

Very interesting theory.

• Love 6
If Duke isn't playing along with Mara but is actually aligned with her, then this has to be the worst piece of character assassination I've seen.

I don't know, it's actually pretty consistent with the way he acted with the Rev in season 2. He wasn't exactly aligned, and he thought he was playing along and in control, but the Rev was pulling his strings like a master puppeteer. He knew the Rev was bad news, but he was willing to do just about anything to find out what his legacy from his father was (even though he hated his father). He was so easily manipulated that he believed the "secret" list of people killed by the Troubled that he found "hidden" in the Rev's office and that included Simon's name -- never mind that if the Rev had such a list there's no reason for him to keep it a secret. He'd have been broadcasting it far and wide.

So it's not totally out of character for Duke to think he's in control and that he can use Mara to get something he wants but to end up being manipulated and used by her and end up agreeing with her, especially if he's afraid about what's happening to him.

Exactly.  It was pretty clear in the Wendigo episode that Duke was playing the Rev all along and never bought into his spiel.  The "worst" thing Duke did was point a gun at people with zero intent to shoot.

The Rev was never pulling Duke's strings and the show made that obvious, so ...uhm...yeah...No.  If Duke is buying what Mara is selling it's completely and utterly out of character.

Duke was the only one with the sense to open a window when he realized there wasn't enough oxygen in the room, so Yay, Duke!

The problem with this is that Kirk didn't appear to be changing the amount of air in the building, just its composition. Sticking your head out the window will get you an extra lungful (at least until the area of effect spreads, if it was going to), but it's not going to actually draw oxygen-rich air into the building because there's no vacuum to fill.

The problem with this is that Kirk didn't appear to be changing the amount of air in the building, just its composition.

Huh, I could have sworn Dwight said that Kirk's trouble was to "draw (or maybe pull) the oxygen out of the room".

• Love 1
The Rev was never pulling Duke's strings and the show made that obvious, so ...uhm...yeah...No.  If Duke is buying what Mara is selling it's completely and utterly out of character.

Duke may have never believed in the Rev's cause, but the Rev was totally pulling Duke's strings in making him believe that he was actually going to give him the information he wanted. It actually parallels very well with what's going on with Mara. In both cases, Duke is dealing with someone he hates and knows to be duplicitous but who he also believes has something or can do something he wants, and in spite of knowing he can't trust this person, he believes that this person can and will give him what he wants, so he plays along with it in spite of disagreeing with it and thinks he can get the upper hand. The Rev had Duke pointing guns at his friends and interfering in Nathan and Audrey's case (after declining Audrey's request for help). Mara has him trying to steal the aether and believing that she's the best way to deal with the Troubles. I guess it's a case of a conman being outconned because he doesn't believe that anyone else can outcon him and only realizes too late that he's being played.

• Love 1

Audrey never gave Duke the chance to finish his long con with the Rev, because you know, she shot and killed him.  So we have no idea if the Rev would have given up the goods or not.

Duke pointed a gun at someone with no intention of shooting.  I can't see how that compares to Nathan taking swing after swing and being a violent asshole to Duke over the series.  Having a gun shoved in his face once is nothing compared to Nathan's poor behavior.

The show has been clear that Duke was playing the Rev in hopes to get the information.  Did he think it was going to be a piece of cake?  FUCK NO.  The show made it clear that Duke was the player and not the one being played.

So Dwight doesn't check up on CDC Charlotte to see if she is legitimate. Okay his bad and we can go down all sorts of plot lines.  However Dave pulled in Chris Brody to give her a "reason" for his leg wound and get her out of town.  And Chris "reviewed her CV" so how the heck could he NOT have known the "real" Charlotte's actual location? So the "cliffhanger" hanger of "CDC doesn't have anyone in Have" really doesn't jive. Just saying...

Edited by salaydouk
  • Love 1
And Chris "reviewed her CV" so how the heck could he NOT have known the "real" Charlotte's actual location?

Her CV wouldn't say where she is now, just give her credentials and work history. The fact that he found a CV for her suggests that either she's an imposter and not the real Charlotte or that she's rogue and doing this on her own time while throwing around the CDC name to get access. Or I guess she could be an imposter who's put some time in creating the identity of CDC Charlotte so that there are credentials to check (like the Leverage team used to do).

They might have worried that calling the CDC might have drawn attention to them, and that's why Vince did it the way he did, leaning on a Troubled government official.

• Love 1

BlackberryJam- Just like he played Arla in 3X13. Making her think he was on her side when really he was on Audrey and Nathan's.

Exactly.  That's what Duke does, pretends to side with the baddies so he can figure out what they are up to, only to get close enough to turn on them later.  There's no reason not to think they are rehashing that trope with him again.

Her CV wouldn't say where she is now, just give her credentials and work history. 

I guess I should have been more specific... But for Chris Brody who comes from Haven and knows that if the Troubles becoming general knowledge to the world, it would be a very very bad thing.  If someone like Charlotte waltzes into town, not only would he have reviewed her CV to find out how he could "snow" her but he would also have gone the extra step to find out where she was currently located.  If she was a real CDC "field" doctor, the CDC would always know her location as she would be working on latest outbreaks, etc.  Besides the first clue would be why would a doctor of such caliber have even been in a lab in Roanoke, North Carolina and just "happened" to see this sample and then trek all the way up to Maine instead of having a colleague from Boston go up instead. Just saying....

• Love 1

After rewatching the previous episode, I have to say that if Charlotte is aware that she's an imposter, she's got some serious nerve. It would have been a huge bluff to threaten to call in "the tanks" if she didn't really work for the CDC and knew there were no tanks to call in. She also sent those scans off to someone for analysis.

Possibilities are:

• She's like Audrey and is someone else with implanted memories to make her think she's CDC Charlotte. She may not be exactly like the Mara incarnations because we saw that she was affected by Chris's Trouble, but not all people from the other side were immune. That seems to have had something to do with Mara starting it all. Maybe she has different powers, like healing Troubles, since Dave's leg got better when she treated it, even though she was treating it based on a bogus diagnosis designed to get her out of town. The person she's sending scans to, etc., may end up being "Doctor Howard."
  • She's an imposter posing as CDC Charlotte but part of some secret organization using CDC as a cover, so there really were people she could call in. They just weren't really CDC.
  • She really is CDC Charlotte, but she's a rogue who's also working for some secret organization, using her position with the CDC as a cover.

But I really can't see someone who knew she was an imposter and who was there on her own for some nefarious purpose pulling the "I'm calling in outside help" thing because that would have quickly revealed her as a fake, unless she was really confident in a long con to trick them into revealing the Troubles to her. That seems really risky because the easiest way to deal with her would be for her to mysteriously end up on the bottom of the ocean.

Edited by Shanna Marie