Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Going Nuclear

The group sure seems to be taking the long way to get Murphy to California -- it doesn't make sense to take a sidetrip to South Dakota.  WTF ?   Was it just so that they could show the graffiti-strewn Mt. Rushmore -- because that fictional ailing nuclear reactor could have been located anywhere.

Mack and Addie should be well into Nevada by now -- how are these two groups ever going to hook back up ?

It's very plot convenient that they showed up just as the reactor was about to meltdown -- 3 years into the zombie apocalypse.
How was the nuclear plant getting electricity to power everything -- as the external grid would have been down for a long time and the plant wouldn't have been making power in the state it was in.

That golf cart is not going to take the group very far, regardless of the battery pack that Roberta found -- that's actually a worse choice than that VW bug they had a few episodes back.  They will be lucky to get a mile or so down the road with the load of people, guns and booze onboard. Seriously, there have to be some cars somewhere that they can patch into working order, though gasoline should be getting scarce since it does degrade over time and it's been a couple of years since any new gasoline has been produced.

Citizen Z didn't do much except eat this episode -- and the dog still doesn't have a name.

Not to ask a silly question, but a satellite phone connects to a satellite -- why would Citizen Z be conducting a tiny grid by grid search for a working satphone transmission ?  He doesn't have to point a satellite at the phone to get it to work.

Lot of pop culture references in this episode:

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

Much better than last week!  I guess it was a matter of time before we have radioactive/glowing zombies.  We have had zombienado and zombietyphoon so where else do we go?  I was really worried about 10K when he went into the reactor.  This show has not bee shy about killing people off and, after they took Jim, I don't think anyone is safe anymore.  I am still trying to figure out why Amelia didn't attack the others when she and Murphy came walking up.  All the zombies are aggressive and hungry when they come across a live person....did Amelia not attack because she was still mirroring Murphy and HE didn't attack?  And what the hell was up with that mirroring thing anyway?  Have we seen Zs do that with Murphy before?  It was almost like she was imprinting on him, like a baby animal does it's mother.

• Love 8

Mack and Addie should be well into Nevada by now -- how are these two groups ever going to hook back up?

The description for next week's episode, "Sisters of Mercy," says

The two groups of survivors reunite in Utah, where they come upon an all-female commune that seems like paradise—that is, until someone ends up dead.

• Love 2

One thing I forgot to mention -- there is a real Edgemont, South Dakota, but it's 60 miles south from Mt. Rushmore so there is no way our intrepid gang saw it on their walk to Edgemont (of course, Edgemont doesn't actually have a nuclear reactor either, so we'll just call it a draw).

• Love 1

Well, Hannibal, Missouri is on the Mississippi River, on the other side of the state from that 87 miles to Kansas City sign, so they're being a little sloppy about the flyover zone.  It's still fun, though.  This is one of the things I really enjoy about this show, that they're in a new locale every week. 

And yeah, SD is not really on the way to California, but I'm assuming they can't go straight through because of the billion zombie horde.  This show isn't really going for solid realism, so I tend to nitpick it less than TWD.  It's just a different animal.  I did question whether you could even start an airplane using vodka for fuel, but whatever, it was entertaining!

As far as the golf cart not lasting long, if that's all ya got, then even if only goes 100 yards, it's 100 yards you didn't have to walk..  I love all the funny modes of transportation.  This show has so much quirky charm to me.  I liked the episode when different gangs kept taking the big, black truck.  I thought it would have been a funny theme to have that truck show up from time to time, having them get it back occasionally, and lose it again.

• Love 4

Heh, that was great. Loved the radiactive zombies. It was interesting to watch what would happen with the nuclear plants in a ZA situation -or any kind of apocalypse, actually-.  Now I wonder if what they did is really a long-term solution. Or are they just delaying the inevitable?

The part where zombie Amelia started mirroring Murphy and following him was a total surprise. 

It was almost like she was imprinting on him, like a baby animal does it's mother.

I like this theory. I had the feeling that she was even trying to communicate with him and it's the first time we've seen a zombie with at least a touch of intelligence. I really want to know what's going on.

• Love 3

And what the hell was up with that mirroring thing anyway?  Have we seen Zs do that with Murphy before?  It was almost like she was imprinting on him, like a baby animal does it's mother.

I really loved that part. It reminded me of the goofy ending to Shaun of the Dead. 

All in all I am really liking this show. Apart from the zombie thing it has a totally different feel than TWD. I am pretty jaded but even I can get caught up in the suspense , thanks to the show creators not being afraid to kill off main characters and then turning on a dime for the cheap laughs. Fun show.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 3

So the alcohol conversion didn't work? Warren basically killed Amelia through negligence then? And showed no remorse. Not sure why the plane had to take off with dodgy fuel before they made the last attempt to shut down the reactor. Even if if melts down, it would take time to generate a cloud of contamination.

I didn't really buy them just leaving Amelia, regardless of what Murphy said. They went to great lengths to give mercy to Garnett, they clearly think it's the right thing to do for someone you knew. 

Their radios worked very well inside a shielded containment building.

Nuclear reactors are built to fail safe. Generally, the control rods that suppress the chain reaction are held suspended above by an electromagnet. All you have to do is cut the power to that magnet, and gravity does the rest.

• Love 1

Warren warned Amelia she had no idea what kind of mileage vodka would get.

They let Amelia live because she was so docile—not realizing it was due to Murphy's presence. Now he's driven off in the golf cart, she'll revert to type.

• Love 2

I thought the actress who played Amelia did a really good job after she got zombified.  There were times when she was cracking me up when she was aping Murphy, but then there were times when I felt so sad for her.  I was kind of hoping she and Murphy could hook up and go off together and maybe live as gentle zombies.

• Love 4

Were those zombies really glowing from radioactivity or some kinda of fungus? I think someone told them they really weren't radioactive, like they had been told.

It was "Angel's Glow" caused by nematode bacteria (Photorhabdus luminescens).

Edited to add a link to Zombipedia (just kidding—for now, but it's not a bad idea): http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorhabdus_luminescens

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

This show is THE BEST and I can not wait for each new episode.

The way Murphy walks cracks me up; he looks like a 13 year old having a hissy fit.

I'm a little disappointed at not seeing Citizen Z a whole lot.

Doc always brings the lulz.

And, I think one of the commercials aired during the show....for Enebrel?...has Murphy in it!

I missed it but I did a search - Nexium! On the beach lol.

• Love 1

Total speculation but maybe they let Amelia "live" because the show will go the route of the scientists finding a cure or something.  I can think of only on show that has ever had zombies get better and that is the British show In the Flesh.  It is relatively unmined territory.  It would also open up the can of worms of regret that they gave "mercy" to all their loved ones and if hey hadn't they might have been able to recoop them.

• Love 4

When Murphy first called Warren "Columbus," i wondered if it was a "Zombieland" reference.

Homer and Amelia? No doubt about those jokes. Although somehow I didn't even notice "Amelia," until I read it here. Too much Vitamin V perhaps.

And a cool old guy having a son named Max? I don't think that one was an accident either. Not in the ZA genre.

I liked that they actually found a way to justify the "glowing radioactive monster" trope.

But my favorite thing was Cassandra's choice of weapon. She's a former prostitute, so how does she kill zombies? Hoe-fu.

Well, OK, that was my second favorite thing. First favorite is that it wasn't another dream sequence.

Glow in the dark Zombies! This show is awesome. I just love how much fun they're having with the zombie apocalypse. 

I was so afraid that 10K was going to die. I'm glad he's still around. It was so sad when his replacement dad dropped himself in the vat of radioactive stuff. I mean it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to survive the episode but it was sad for 10K.

ZombieAmelia was cool. I thought the imprinting scene was cool. And I'm glad Murphy wouldn't let the others kill her. I find Murphy so interesting now. It's like he's learning to be human while becoming a zombie. 

• Love 1