Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Like A Virgin

• Start Topic

Dean and Bobby anxiously wait for Sam to wake up to see if Death was able to restore his soul without causing Sam to lose his mind. Meanwhile, Dean and Bobby investigate a disappearance of virgins and discover dragons are behind the kidnappings. Bobby sends Dean to a doctor who owns the only weapon in the world that can slay a dragon, but Dean must prove himself worthy enough to take it

At the risk of repeating myself...another S6 episode that's got some good and some not so good, but doesn't offend or endear either.

Lets start with the not-so-good and end on the good, which is my want as of late. It starts out well enough, but the actual case of the week is a little on the slow and boring side, IMO. Confusion levels upon confusion pertaining to what the dragons were actually up to. I get they were taking virgins in order to use them to do a ritual to bust Eve out of Purgatory, but why'd they need so many virgins when one sufficed in the end? They had a whole cage full of girls Sam and Dean rescued and a whole van of girls they took the vessel for Eve out of. Did they need 72 virgins and we only saw them using the one? Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but sometimes it's the attention to little details that sells a plot more than anything. And did I mention the actual case was kinda ho-hum in the end?

I also think there's some out of character moments that seem to be more writer's convenience and set up for jokes than actual organic character beats. Such as Bobby holding a grudge for the things Soulless Sam did and Sam refusing to hug Castiel because it would be awkward. But since these things are now canon, I should probably try to just roll with them, right?

However, I'm pleased as punch Sam got his soul back before I got tired of the soullessness shtick and that hug from Sam to Dean is the hug I expected to see back in Exile On Main Street--which makes my face do things it's not accustomed to and leaves certain muscles a tad sore for a couple of days. I'm rather fond of the exchange between Sam and Dean on their way to Portland. Of course Sam assumes Dean didn't even try to live the life he promised because he looks exactly the same, but learns a lot has happened since he's been gone instead.  I also adore some of the little moments of Dean watching Sam get his groove back. The smile he displays after Sam uses the puppy dog eyes of doom and the whole diary-stealing exchange make me smile, too. But the biggest contributory factor to the facial soreness: that whole scene of Dean trying to pull the sword out of the stone. it's just too funny, IMO. I do have a little head shake about Dean using the C-4 in a room full of priceless antiques, though. One would think he'd have the foresight to remove everything else out of the room. But, I usually quickly forget about this since "you rocks think you're so smart" never fails to elicit a hearty chuckle from me.

I'd say Phil Sgriccia did some really nice work in the direction of this episode. I really like the way he shot the opening sequence of Dean impatiently tapping his finger on his arm while waiting for Cass to report on Sam. The camera moves and focuses on Castiel's arms as he rolls up his sleeves then as Cass moves forward Sam is revealed in the background. It a rather unique way to bring us into a scene while adding some movement to the frame and some depth of field, too. And I like the way he frames Bobby and Dean discussing the case while they're waiting for Sam to wake up. Nice depth of field there too. And I credit Scriggia--and of course Jensen for willing to fully go for it--for the funny in the sword pulling sequence. He always seems to find the little moments of humor that help keep the tone of an episode a little on the whimsical and farcical side that I adore.

Should I also mention the two musical interludes? Yes, yes I think they're worthy of some praise too. The beginning montage to Back in the Saddle fits perfectly with the tone of the episode, but I really love the New Day Yesterday part the best. The way it's playing on the radio as Sam and Dean talk and then Dean turns up the radio and it fills the scene and bridges to the next is really nice. Plus, it was a good song choice, but I might be biased here, I've been in love with Jethro Tull since high school and this is one of their best, IMO. In general, I think the way they used music throughout the season, when they had the money for it anyway, was exceptional. The music isn't a big, loud "look at us using music" moment, but instead feels like it lives, breathes and exists in those scenes naturally. 

Overall, this is an important episode of the season--not just because Sam gets his soul back, but also for the forward movement on the souls/Eve/Purgatory storyline--but it's also kinda a little forgettable when it's all said and done.

• Love 3

Just watching this episode again and it still bugs me that Sam had no idea what it was like when he didn't have his soul. I don't remember Bobby being so out of it when Crowley had his. Bobby still knew who he was, unlike Sam, who basically had a blackout. 

6 hours ago, JunebugWA said:

Just watching this episode again and it still bugs me that Sam had no idea what it was like when he didn't have his soul. I don't remember Bobby being so out of it when Crowley had his. Bobby still knew who he was, unlike Sam, who basically had a blackout. 

Bobby was never soulless. He loaned, ::cough:: sold ::cough::, his soul to Crowley so they could find Death, but it was no different to when Dean sold his soul back in S2 to save Sam. Dean still had his soul, the crossroads demon just used the power of his soul to bring Sam back and in return Dean would go to Hell in a year. Bobby wasn't literally trying to get Crowley to return his soul in Weekend at Bobby's, just remove his mark off it so Bobby wouldn't go to Hell when/or if he died. 

But, Sam is only clueless because of the wall Death put up to mask his Hell memories, which also masked his soulless memories. This is a kinda special circumstance here.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

So nice having the real Sam back.

Dean was hilarious with the stone.  Yay for Warcraft shout out.  

I too wondered why so many virgins.  Did they need them to give Mother a choice of a body to posess? What happened after she choose the first one?

• Love 2

Castiel's really good at telling Dean off in his first scene. Sammy! His happiness at Bobby and Cas being alive brings me joy. Soulful Sam reacts differently to Dean's poor decision making. Death doesn't want a fruit basket, Dean. He wants a pizza basket. I appreciate Bobby not being comfortable with Sam right away. It's nice when something realistic happens on this show. Empathic Sam is back. "They're not like the Loch Ness Monster, Dean. Dragons aren't real!" Nessie's real?! Love the music as Dean tries and fails to get the sword from the stone. Aw, Sam sitting down when Cas tries to hug him. You're gonna set his emotional growth back years. I like Sam's metaphor about it not being him in control. 

• Love 3

Yep, you can immediately tell it's regular version Sam again.  And if you couldn't, the show makes sure to drive it home with all the double-takes Dean does when Sam super-puppy-eyes the sister to get them to talk to her and his reaction to Dean stealing the diary.  SoullessSam did not have the PuppyEye Power! of regular Sam.  Sam is crafty though - like Bobby says, he's smart.  He tricks Cas into spilling the beans and he decides to do it fairly quickly, so he caught on that he wasn't getting the whole story right away.  I do like how Sam took responsibility for all the things he did when soulless and wanted to make them right, even though he didn't remember them and could have skated by with writing that chapter of his life off.  

I don't really understand why Sam sat down instead of hugging Cas though.  At that point, Sam didn't have his soulless memories and he didn't know who brought him back.  One of the last things he remembered was (feeling) Cas being blown apart by Lucifer, and he was happy enough to hear that Cas was alive.  I would have thought Sam would be surprised Cas would be agreeable to receiving a hug from him (Sam) not being the one to preemptively shut it down.  

Only on this show, I think, could the 'FBI' get away with asking if the girl was really a virgin.  Oh my.  

I liked Dr. Visyak.  I'll take more comments about her to All-Seasons so I don't have to spoiler tag it.  

I'm still confused about why they needed so many virgins when only one was flung in the pit.  Unless the rest were food for Mom.  Maybe she was hungry after having been locked up for so long.  Like Sam was when he woke up.  

This is at least the third time I've watched this ep, and always see something more.  I like Dean's quips.  "You rocks think you're so smart."  I like the attempt at pulling the sword from the stone.  Good facial expressions from Dean.  That looked like an awful lot of C4 he was using though.  

I agree with @DittyDotDot that the musical montage to Back in the Saddle Again was perfect - especially the shot of Dean pulling the cover off of Baby.  I also agree with @bettername2come that Death wouldn't want a fruit basket.  Pizza basket is good.  Hot dog basket.  Fried pickle chips basket.  Chicken finger basket.  So many better choices.  

• Love 3
On 18/08/2017 at 1:04 PM, Runswithscissors said:

I don't really understand why Sam sat down instead of hugging Cas though.  At that point, Sam didn't have his soulless memories and he didn't know who brought him back.  One of the last things he remembered was (feeling) Cas being blown apart by Lucifer, and he was happy enough to hear that Cas was alive.  I would have thought Sam would be surprised Cas would be agreeable to receiving a hug from him (Sam) not being the one to preemptively shut it down.  

i agree with this as well, and because cass actually looked a bit hurt that sam sat down so quickly, lol

-----

jared knows sam so well that he can do something so subtle but so obvious with himself to show that sam's soul is back. it's like his eye colour came back or something. sam could do the same amount of dirty work as his brother and yet the show will still pertain him as being the innocent little brother, this i am referring to when sam didn't remember a blessed thing in the cage. i know the wall is there and all, but it's how it was done that i see it as. dean's entire being lighting up when sam fell back to his gentle tone, gentle eyes routine was the best part of the episode.

i don't get it, if the dragons wanted virgins and the dragon tried to catch that woman who wasn't, what was the point? but perhaps why she escaped was because he found out somehow. also how did dean know that woman wasn't a virgin just by looking at her?

i really want sam to brush aside the things he couldn't control just as dean, but sam's got dean trapped good. dean sure as heck would want to make things right regardless of him conscientiously doing his actions or not. in reality i'm sure a lot of us would want to brush it aside but our conscience would get on our shoulders somehow.

P.S. i think sam would have been able to pull the sword out ;)

• Love 1
On 26/04/2018 at 4:51 PM, catrox14 said:

Based on what?

based on the show and what it makes sam as to be. honestly i half thought dean was going to drag sam to the house tbh.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:14 AM, Iju said:

based on the show and what it makes sam as to be. honestly i half thought dean was going to drag sam to the house tbh.

Sorry, I'm not following this.  What is it that you think the show makes Sam as to be here? What would Sam have that would make him capable of removing the sword?

On 4/30/2018 at 11:42 AM, catrox14 said:

Sorry, I'm not following this.  What is it that you think the show makes Sam as to be here? What would Sam have that would make him capable of removing the sword?

you know how sam can get to the heart of others through his spirit or his "puppy eyes", i thought that part of the virtue (?) in him would let him take the sword out.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Iju said:

you know how sam can get to the heart of others through his spirit or his "puppy eyes", i thought that part of the virtue (?) in him would let him take the sword out.

Except Dean's always been the one convincing people to act in their better natures eg.

Spoiler

God, Amara, Gabriel, Cas.

Just by being himself, he inspires much more powerful beings to follow suit. 

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

Except Dean's always been the one convincing people to act in their better natures eg.

Reveal hidden contents

God, Amara, Gabriel, Cas.

Just by being himself, he inspires much more powerful beings to follow suit. 

Agreed 100%.

• Love 3
(edited)

Also, since I'm bitter about a few things in season 6, what the hell was Cas thinking when he berated Dean for getting Sam's soul back? Literally, what was the other option, letting his soul be Lucifer's chew toy for the rest of eternity? Even if the hell memories eventually busted through and drove Sam crazy or killed him, he'd at least be in heaven and free of the cage. I didn't see Cas offering any alternatives, and given that

Spoiler

he was the one who pulled Sam out in the first place without bothering to tell anyone (for some reason) and this whole soulless situation was his fault,

the injustice of it all pisses me off more. 

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

Also, since I'm bitter about a few things in season 6, what the hell was Cas thinking when he berated Dean for getting Sam's soul back? Literally, what was the other option, letting his soul be Lucifer's chew toy for the rest of eternity? Even if the hell memories eventually busted through and drove Sam crazy or killed him, he'd at least be in heaven and free of the cage. I didn't see Cas offering any alternatives, and given that

Hide contents

he was the one who pulled Sam out in the first place without bothering to tell anyone (for some reason) and this whole soulless situation was his fault,

the injustice of it all pisses me off more. 

I agree.

Spoiler

Also with his snarky "what part of I don't know don't you understand" in The Third Man when Sam asked if Cas had any idea of how he got out of the cage and his outright lie to Dean in You Can't Handle The Truth when he asked what was wrong with Sam it's not a season that paints Cas in the best light.

• Love 3
On 8/18/2017 at 12:04 PM, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Yep, you can immediately tell it's regular version Sam again.  And if you couldn't, the show makes sure to drive it home with all the double-takes Dean does when Sam super-puppy-eyes the sister to get them to talk to her and his reaction to Dean stealing the diary.  SoullessSam did not have the PuppyEye Power! of regular Sam.  Sam is crafty though - like Bobby says, he's smart.  He tricks Cas into spilling the beans and he decides to do it fairly quickly, so he caught on that he wasn't getting the whole story right away.  I do like how Sam took responsibility for all the things he did when soulless and wanted to make them right, even though he didn't remember them and could have skated by with writing that chapter of his life off.  

Only on this show, I think, could the 'FBI' get away with asking if the girl was really a virgin.  Oh my.  

I liked Dr. Visyak.  I'll take more comments about her to All-Seasons so I don't have to spoiler tag it.  

I'm still confused about why they needed so many virgins when only one was flung in the pit.  Unless the rest were food for Mom.  Maybe she was hungry after having been locked up for so long.  Like Sam was when he woke up.  

This is at least the third time I've watched this ep, and always see something more.  I like Dean's quips.  "You rocks think you're so smart."  I like the attempt at pulling the sword from the stone.  Good facial expressions from Dean.  That looked like an awful lot of C4 he was using though.  

I agree with @DittyDotDot that the musical montage to Back in the Saddle Again was perfect - especially the shot of Dean pulling the cover off of Baby.  I also agree with @bettername2come that Death wouldn't want a fruit basket.  Pizza basket is good.  Hot dog basket.  Fried pickle chips basket.  Chicken finger basket.  So many better choices.  

Fried oreos? I feel like Death would appreciate the finer nuances of fair food.

It was awesome to have Sam back and I am glad they didn't drag out the lying to Sam part. After having the chemistry out of whack most if the season, there was something comforting about the guys wandering around in a dark place with their flashlight beams shining.

I also loved the rock bit and actually thought the Dragons were interesting. There is some wasted potential there and I hope they are featured again. 

I also appreciate the wholesome after school message that getting laid is a good thing. 😆

Poor Castiel. No hugs. 🥲

Blow up a sword in a stone with C4. What else were you expecting? The sword being broken was what I was expecting, but I didn't think the show would go with the most realistic outcome of such a scenario. Then again, it was still quite early in the episode and would've progressed the plot too early. I kept thinking of Mjolnir though the whole scene; guess Dean's not worthy enough to pull out the sword, and Sam ate demon blood before so he's probably not an option either. Bobby maybe? Castiel?

Of course we're gonna get budget humanoid dragons - and not even fire-breathing ones! I guess even CGI dragons would cost too much for CW. Oh well. I'll take what I can get from this show.

The "Mother of All" plot is okay, I guess. Same lukewarm feeling I had towards the "dragons."

Edited by MagnusHex

I always liked this episode. The scene with Dean attempting to pull the sword from the concrete - complete with the music - is hysterical. Yes, the "dragons" were forgettable to be sure. But I thought that the episode flowed very well and surprise! we got a humble Sam who was so sorry for what he did while soulless toward the end.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I always liked this episode. The scene with Dean attempting to pull the sword from the concrete - complete with the music - is hysterical. Yes, the "dragons" were forgettable to be sure. But I thought that the episode flowed very well and surprise! we got a humble Sam who was so sorry for what he did while soulless toward the end.

I've always enjoyed this episode also. I liked Dean smiling when Sam scolds him for reading a girls diary because it's something that normal Sam would do, which reassures him that he's really himself again. I love little things like that. Also,

Spoiler

with Castiel's later betrayal it makes you go back to this episode and marvel at his hypocrisy. 

• Like 3