Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The Time Of Our Lives

WendyCR72

Ha, I thought the same thing. I would love a fanfic with everything that happened in between the proposal and the ceremony.

A lot of fanic is coming out after the wedding of course, tumblr is awash with stories right now so I'm sure one will appear soon. 

The episode was just ok for me, I mean after watching the episode twice I still dont get the AU part. Did Castle hit his head or what? Another small nitpick would it have killed Castle and Becket to have Lanie Esposito and Ryan there, those three are Castle and Becketts best friends.

No he didn't hit his head as far as I'm aware, they seem to have left it up to the audience to believe whatever they wanted to about the AU and what happened which is what they did in Time Will Tell which Miller also wrote. I don't like it, they need to give rational answers to things this is not the Xfiles. 

• Love 1

Interesting. I just re-watched the wedding scene. After Beckett says, "It's Perfect," Castle suddenly gets a worried look as if he disagrees.

Is Castle's past going to get in the way of their fairy tale romance? Or is this just another case of Marlowe inserting crap that never gets any further explanation.

Atrocious CGI aside, I still loved the wedding. I think it trumps the Always end scene. Castle saying "Mrs. Castle" in that husky voice....mmmmm, dreamy.

I think I may be hooked again. But it could mean I raise my expectation level above "doesn't suck". Marlowe doesn't want that.

Edited by TVWithPity
Interesting. I just re-watched the wedding scene. After Beckett says, "It's Perfect," Castle suddenly gets a worried look as if he disagrees.

Is Castle's past going to get in the way of their fairy tale romance? Or is this just another case of Marlowe inserting crap that never gets any further explanation.

It's interesting that you saw a foreboding look there. I saw the opposite - that he seems a bit awed, like he was afraid that maybe she thought the wedding wasn't good enough and now she's saying it's perfect, surprising him again.

I'm still not over the casual-formal of Castle's unbuttoned shirt and the not so meticulously styled hair and now with a ring? Just ... hhngg.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

Great episode. Loved it from beginning to end. It hit all the right notes (apart from the "heaven wedding", but that's a minor nitpick), everybody felt connected, and everybody was at the top of their game.

NF brings so much to the table if he really cares. It completely changes the energy of the episode. More of that, please.

Seriously. For me, you've touched base with what has been missing from the show -- Nathan! Glad he's back, at least for awhile.

• Love 1
Speaking of drinking, still can't get over Jim Beckett drinking what looks like champagne! How could writers/production have missed that?!

I watched that bit again and it does look like that. Doesn't help when they shove a big bottle of champagne into shot either to underscore its celebration time. I'm surprised that no one tweeted Terri about it, they were tweeting about everything else. Or may be some did and she refused to answer those ones!

I feel sorry for Beckett, she only has dad family wise (I'm discounting old Aunt Teresa) but they can't even manage to let her get a few words in with him on one of the most important days of her life. Presumably they did talk but off screen of course which is of no use to me. I know Scott is presumably working on other things a lot of the time but they obviously keep him on call so you would think they would write something more substantial so they can enjoy some father/daughter moments just like Castle does with his family. 

The Time of Our Lives – A Good Cop/Bad Wedding Photographer Review

Melanie noted Jim drinking too as she says that was a "major goof" given this has been a major point driven home throughout the course of the show. I think quite a few would agree with her on that. 

Edited by verdana

I watched that bit again and it does look like that. Doesn't help when they shove a big bottle of champagne into shot either to underscore its celebration time. I'm surprised that no one tweeted Terri about it, they were tweeting about everything else. Or may be some did and she refused to answer those ones!

I feel sorry for Beckett, she only has dad family wise (I'm discounting old Aunt Teresa) but they can't even manage to let her get a few words in with dad on one of the most important days of her life. I know Scott is presumably working on other things a lot of the time but they obviously keep him on call so you would think they would write something more substantial so they can enjoy some father/daughter moments just like Castle does with his family. 

The Time of Our Lives – A Good Cop/Bad Wedding Photographer Review

Melanie noted Jim drinking too as she says that was a "major goof" given this has been a major point driven home throughout the course of the show. I think quite a few would agree with her on that. 

A few people did mention to Terri and Andrew about the drinking but they didn't respond to it.

The three quips I had were the drinking, the fake Aussie rugby team (no Crimson Rhinos rugby team here in Australia) and the hideous green screen. The rest I could handle in the scheme of things.

The thing I was worried about was the Sorenson situation. I knew that was going to be in the episode and my concern originally was if you took away the AU how does it play to them getting married after Beckett's concerns at the beginning when they're going into the warehouse. I saw the look on Castle's face more relief than concern to the perfect comment since it bookended the scene at the warehouse (perfect day, etc).

It's interesting that you saw a foreboding look there. I saw the opposite - that he seems a bit awed, like he was afraid that maybe she thought the wedding wasn't good enough and now she's saying it's perfect, surprising him again.

I didn't get the feeling of a worried look either.  I thought a bit of satisfaction, especially after Beckett earlier commented about not wanting to go to Sorenson's wedding and deal with "someone else's perfect day."

ETA: Nadine beat me too it :)

Edited by rspad

I took that as call back to the moment before he got thrust into the AU when she sadly mentions that she can't face dealing with someone else's "perfect day" (the Sorenson wedding) and he looks pained and guilty then he apologises. Her saying it's perfect at that moment was just what he needed to hear from her hence the reaction to her comment. It was one of my favourite moments actually, Fillion did that really well, he's so good at those little reaction shots which can convey so much without him having to say a word. 

ETA Heh yeah what Nadine said. 

Edited by verdana

I didn't get the feeling of a worried look either.  I thought a bit of satisfaction, especially after Beckett earlier commented about not wanting to go to Sorenson's wedding and deal with "someone else's perfect day."

ETA: Nadine beat me too it :)

Especially because she already had a "perfect" day taken away from her when he was kidnapped. So even after all that and she can tell him that this little, intimate, impromptu was perfect to her, I can see him being awed and maybe a bit overwhelmed.

I liked that moment a lot.

• Love 1

Yeah Seamus was on point there.

Here's a handy pictorial reminder of each of her three wedding dresses (surely a record?). Jesus that first one I keep forgetting how bloody awful it really was.  If that had been one she got married in what with all the sparkly bits combined with the saturated sunset colours on the green screen I'm sure it would have given me an instant migraine. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

It was one of my favourite moments actually, Fillion did that really well, he's so good at those little reaction shots which can convey so much without him having to say a word.

I also like his little eyebrow raise to Beckett when they started dancing. "Mrs. Castle, may I have this dance" long shot of Beckett hanging on Castle's left shoulder is probably the best Nathan has looked all season.

That sunset background is now reminding me of the ott sunset background from Soapdish's soap set and the cheesy moving water. So maybe they were going for the late 80s/early 90s soap sets.

Edited by turnitwayup

He called her "Mrs Castle" when asking her to dance but I wonder how she's going to want to be referred to from now on? Will she remain a Beckett at work and a Mrs Castle elsewhere? Stay Beckett? Or go with a trend I notice with a quite a few women in our office of a double barrelled surname which can be a real pain sometimes. 

I know Scott is presumably working on other things a lot of the time but they obviously keep him on call so you would think they would write something more substantial so they can enjoy some

They may have had a scene that got cut.  We're always hearing about Jim's scenes getting cut.

Has anyone Tweeted the writers about the drinking thing though? I wonder if they'd admit it was an error or try to claim it was sparkling cider or something. But it really wouldn't surprise me if they completely forgot the alcoholic thing.

the Sorenson wedding

Speaking of that, who invites their ex to their wedding? It's not like Sorenson and Kate have been in contact or friends in the last six years.  I get that it was a way to set up the AU, but it still seemed surprising.

it would have set her back $3,280.

Well, she's married to a millionaire now.  No reason to worry about that credit card bill.

Beckett-Castle is a mouthful, so I doubt that.

My money's on Beckett at work, Castle at home. It would be weird otherwise, especially on this show because they both go by their last names for a majority of the time.

Speaking of that, who invites their ex to their wedding? It's not like Sorenson and Kate have been in contact or friends in the last six years.  I get that it was a way to set up the AU, but it still seemed surprising.

Yeah. But it had to be an ex (to segue into being saved from dullness; it wouldn't have been the same if it were Maddy or something) and Demming and Josh might have been a bit too fresh and/or a low blow for Castle.

They may have had a scene that got cut.  We're always hearing about Jim's scenes getting cut.

Has anyone Tweeted the writers about the drinking thing though? I wonder if they'd admit it was an error or try to claim it was sparkling cider or something. But it really wouldn't surprise me if they completely forgot the alcoholic thing.

He's been working on Young and Restless lately. But add me to the list who thinks they cut scenes out since we know by Stana's interview that they cut some precinct stuff out of the episode with Seamus.

I mentioned the drinking thing above that people sent them tweets last night but they didn't respond to it.

Edited by Nadine

He's been working on Young and Restless lately. But add me to the list who thinks they cut scenes out since we know by Stana's interview that they cut some precinct stuff out of the episode with Seamus.

I mentioned the drinking thing above that people sent them tweets last night but they didn't respond to it.

Sorry, I must have missed that part.

that was a perfect wedding episode, except for the green screen, no Lani/Espo and Ryan.  But the rest was fun Castle, and the entire cast did such a great job. I loved the pants, when you are tall and elegant like Stana the pants thing totally works.  Thank you show.

that was a perfect wedding episode, except for the green screen, no Lani/Espo and Ryan.  But the rest was fun Castle, and the entire cast did such a great job. I loved the pants, when you are tall and elegant like Stana the pants thing totally works.  Thank you show.

Would have been hilarious if in answer to Beckett's pants, Castle had worn a kilt. Would show who wears the pants in the family, ha.

I still think Castle's end face holds a hint of foreboding. Watched it 3 times, still do. Maybe they cut too soon for me to be able to read his expression properly.

I liked this episode a lot but must admit that in the back of my mind I was wondering if doing the AU was “jumping the shark” into Fringe territory.

What I didn’t like was that this Castle essentially got AU Castle killed and on his return didn’t give it another thought. That’s all very well for him because he jumped back into a living body, but the AU Castle no longer has one and so must die for real. Seeing that the AU Castle has a daughter and Mother too, Castle messed up the AU real bad in order to get his ‘affirmation’ that life together with Beckett was better than without. The writers could have done without having to wring out a big “gives his life for Beckett" scene, IMO.

If it makes you feel any better, I just saw two different fan fics where AU Castle survives the shooting and he and AU Beckett end up together.  Beckett survived getting shot in the chest, so why couldn't AU Castle?

• Love 1

Watching the episode again and the vows were really beautiful! "The moment I met you my life became extraordinary" ... "you are the joy in my heart"?!? Just beautiful and made me teary!  Watching the video (via ABC) of the Castle/Beckett moment over the years really brought those vows into focus .. more so than when I watched it the first time. 

These pictures from Andrew the camera guy are interesting of the BTS work on the wedding. 

https://twitter.com/AndrewBikichky/status/532265824619614211

https://twitter.com/AndrewBikichky/status/532265587339431937

God that picture of Martha like others have said so funny but so her. 

https://twitter.com/AndrewBikichky/status/532261823966613505

As soon as I saw the wedding setup from Monday's episode, I remembered this tweet from Nathan and how at the time I took notice of the fake grass in the background. This must've been the day they shot the wedding. I keep note of when new episodes begin filming, and this was posted right smack in the middle of filming 7.06. 

• Love 1

I truly loved the episode and have already watched it multiple times. I was fine with the short, but very sweet ceremony. Stana looked (typically) stunning! And how nice they remembered to have her wear Martha's earrings. I admit I let out a little awwwww when he called her Mrs. Castle. 

But.....From the pics Andrew has been tweeting showing the warehouse, i just keep thinking that a little less $$  spent on that and maybe a smidge more so as not to have that horrible phony sunset - green screen? - would have been a much better use of the budget. 

And one nitpick, In the second scene with "Captain" Beckett, it looks as though she was wearing jeans? Not appropriate, Captain. ;-)

• Love 1

Luke seems to be seriously into denim at the moment he dresses Stana in it a lot.  I don't find it appropriate at all for her job, far too casual. 

As soon as I saw the wedding setup from Monday's episode, I remembered this tweet from Nathan

That explains the perfectly sculpted hair! I remember that tweet he did "I have an Edward" Heh. 

Her saying it's perfect at that moment was just what he needed to hear from her hence the reaction to her comment. It was one of my favourite moments actually, Fillion did that really well, he's so good at those little reaction shots which can convey so much without him having to say a word.

Like some others, I read Castle's reaction to Beckett telling him that it was perfect to be one of almost overwhelming happiness and satisfaction and some relief from his guilt that he was able to give Beckett a perfect wedding after what happened last time and with this being so spur of the moment.  No sense of foreboding at all. He was happy and at peace on hearing that Beckett was happy with the wedding.  It was a beautiful moment from them both.  I do love when they dance and embrace and whisper in each other's ears like that.  Love the height difference when Beckett's without heels, but they fit so well physically like this as well.  Only wish there had been shots in the episode showing them like they were in the pics released after the episode, with foreheads touching and looking at each other with love before closing eyes together contently.  Seeing the individual headshots of them as they danced was nice, but I wanted one of them close up together where we could see their facial expressions as well before panning out.

Well, she's married to a millionaire now.  No reason to worry about that credit card bill.

Still would love to have a talk about money as newlyweds.  Surely it's bound to come up (or should have already).  Castle's probably issued her a credit card from his accounts, or opened a joint account with both their names.  How does Beckett feel about spending his money?  Maybe he's mentioned the Hamptons house being their house.  There's a lot that goes with being Mrs. Castle and I'd like them to touch on that.  But they haven't been interested in the subject before so maybe they won't be now. 

If it makes you feel any better, I just saw two different fan fics where AU Castle survives the shooting and he and AU Beckett end up together.  Beckett survived getting shot in the chest, so why couldn't AU Castle?

I enjoyed those fanfics.  Glad to see Capt. Beckett find some happiness of her own with AU Castle even if it wasn't the Castle who was already in love with her in the episode.

These pictures from Andrew the camera guy are interesting of the BTS work on the wedding.

They are interesting and really take away the romance of filming heh.  Kudos to the actors for mustering up the romantic vibes whilst standing in front of a blue screen on a fake looking pavilion with an artificial fan blowing at you in a cavernous warehouse.  I wonder what Stana's reaction was to filming/seeing the bluescreen and the sunset in the episode after they abandoned the beautiful location and dress in the finale.

Luke seems to be seriously into denim at the moment he dresses Stana in it a lot.  I don't find it appropriate at all for her job, far too casual.

Still can't get over Capt. Beckett wearing what could pass for a black bra as it was so low cut under her power suit.  I think Luke described it as "sexy business", which I find completely inappropriate for a police captain, or any businesswoman who wants to be taken seriously. ;)

Not surprised the writers haven't responded to either the use of the blue/green screen, or the geography and drinking mess up because they rarely respond to slip ups. ;)

It didn't ruin the wedding for me or anything, but the terrible sunset which if so obviously terrible to lay people must have been beyond obvious to the professionals. So why did they choose that option when they knew there was a risk of marring a beautifully written scene and all too important moment?  They had plenty of time to plan ahead.  They had scouted a beautiful (wasted) location last time.  Was it budget issues?  But if they had enough budget for a 3rd wedding outfit ;) and chose to blow so much on the barely used wedding location in the finale, they should have known to leave enough in the budget for the all important real wedding.

I don't watch Bones or Revenge but imagine those shows have had multiple wedding(s).  Did their wedding locations ever look as fake?

Edited by madmaverick
I don't watch Bones or Revenge but imagine those shows have had multiple wedding(s).  Did their wedding locations ever look as fake?

No idea about Revenge as I have never watched it, but Bones had one wedding in a jail cell (Hodgins/Angela) with a sheriff and judge as the only others there (long story) and their aborted attempt was in a church before that.

And Booth and Brennan wed outdoors in some garden near the Jeffersonian. In their case, it really was outdoors, with everyone present.

So, no fake backgrounds there, anyway.

Still would love to have a talk about money as newlyweds. 

I would love this as well.  I really can't believe it hasn't already happened, because it seems like such a natural thing.  There should have been some kind of reference to a pre-nup too.  Not that I think there should have had one, just that it should have been discussed.

Still can't get over Capt. Beckett wearing what could pass for a black bra as it was so low cut under her power suit.  I think Luke described it as "sexy business", which I find completely inappropriate for a police captain, or any businesswoman who wants to be taken seriously. ;)

What I find amusing about it is when we first see Captain Beckett she's wearing a turtleneck under her jacket.  Then she meets Castle and comes in the next day with super low cut top.  It reminds me of all the theories about how Beckett's appearance changed over the years because of Castle.

• Love 1
What I find amusing about it is when we first see Captain Beckett she's wearing a turtleneck under her jacket.  Then she meets Castle and comes in the next day with super low cut top.  It reminds me of all the theories about how Beckett's appearance changed over the years because of Castle.

THIS! I totally agree and noticed that as well.  

I think Beckett's wardrobe changed gradually over the seasons and, yes, I think it had something to do with Castle. I think it was Beckett coming into her own and being okay w. showing this side of herself that was already there. "Don't tell me you dressed like that for Esposito?" Yes, even Castle noticed? lol. 

• Love 1

#No 3 is fantastic, thank you Samantha, black and white is the way to go!

No fake background for the Bones wedding in fact I wonder whether Marlowe deliberately fucked his up just so there would be no comparisons made between the fans and entertainment critics. Okay may be that's reaching but it does make me wonder because there has been some needling there in the past between HH and Marlowe and the Bones wedding was well received as I recall. 

The low cut neckline on Beckett with that jacket was not necessary, the one thing I've always liked about Castle is that they usually avoid that kind of thing.

I would love this as well.  I really can't believe it hasn't already happened, because it seems like such a natural thing.  There should have been some kind of reference to a pre-nup too.  Not that I think there should have had one, just that it should have been discussed.

Based on Amann's recent interviews we might finally be getting to hear about things like this, because lets face it what else have they got on the table to interest the fans if they're not going to delve into their private lives in some way now they're finally husband and wife?  

Although as for the prenup there's no way in hell a wealthy guy like him with lawyers on tap (and the wealthy always do) that he wouldn't have sorted the situation out by now with Beckett. He also has his daughter and mother to think about and secure their futures too not just Beckett. That doesn't mean he would have automatically got one (although his lawyer would no doubt be wanting him to best structure his finances to take account of all eventualities including a future scorned spouse) but the idea he's just got married after two divorces no less without even bringing the matter up is laughable. 

Edited by verdana

Like some others, I read Castle's reaction to Beckett telling him that it was perfect to be one of almost overwhelming happiness and satisfaction and some relief from his guilt that he was able to give Beckett a perfect wedding after what happened last time and with this being so spur of the moment.  No sense of foreboding at all. He was happy and at peace on hearing that Beckett was happy with the wedding.  It was a beautiful moment from them both.  I do love when they dance and embrace and whisper in each other's ears like that.  Love the height difference when Beckett's without heels, but they fit so well physically like this as well.  Only wish there had been shots in the episode showing them like they were in the pics released after the episode, with foreheads touching and looking at each other with love before closing eyes together contently.  Seeing the individual headshots of them as they danced was nice, but I wanted one of them close up together where we could see their facial expressions as well before panning out.

Still would love to have a talk about money as newlyweds.  Surely it's bound to come up (or should have already).  Castle's probably issued her a credit card from his accounts, or opened a joint account with both their names.  How does Beckett feel about spending his money?  Maybe he's mentioned the Hamptons house being their house.  There's a lot that goes with being Mrs. Castle and I'd like them to touch on that.  But they haven't been interested in the subject before so maybe they won't be now. 

I enjoyed those fanfics.  Glad to see Capt. Beckett find some happiness of her own with AU Castle even if it wasn't the Castle who was already in love with her in the episode.

They are interesting and really take away the romance of filming heh.  Kudos to the actors for mustering up the romantic vibes whilst standing in front of a blue screen on a fake looking pavilion with an artificial fan blowing at you in a cavernous warehouse.  I wonder what Stana's reaction was to filming/seeing the bluescreen and the sunset in the episode after they abandoned the beautiful location and dress in the finale.

Still can't get over Capt. Beckett wearing what could pass for a black bra as it was so low cut under her power suit.  I think Luke described it as "sexy business", which I find completely inappropriate for a police captain, or any businesswoman who wants to be taken seriously. ;)

Not surprised the writers haven't responded to either the use of the blue/green screen, or the geography and drinking mess up because they rarely respond to slip ups. ;)

It didn't ruin the wedding for me or anything, but the terrible sunset which if so obviously terrible to lay people must have been beyond obvious to the professionals. So why did they choose that option when they knew there was a risk of marring a beautifully written scene and all too important moment?  They had plenty of time to plan ahead.  They had scouted a beautiful (wasted) location last time.  Was it budget issues?  But if they had enough budget for a 3rd wedding outfit ;) and chose to blow so much on the barely used wedding location in the finale, they should have known to leave enough in the budget for the all important real wedding.

I don't watch Bones or Revenge but imagine those shows have had multiple wedding(s).  Did their wedding locations ever look as fake?

Bones, no. Heck it was downright beautiful.

From the wedding, spoilered just in case.

They did an incredible job.

Yeah, I liked that, but I wish Booth's vows were up, too. Some great callbacks in his.

But on the Castle front, at least the wedding happened. But I guess I'm a traditionalist, because I so wasn't feeling Beckett's pants. The bolero jacket was great, but I'd've preferred a dress or skirt or something. Probably more in line for the fashion thread, but as it is commenting on the episode, I'll split hairs and leave it here.

Yeah, I liked that, but I wish Booth's vows were up, too. Some great callbacks in his.

But on the Castle front, at least the wedding happened. But I guess I'm a traditionalist, because I so wasn't feeling Beckett's pants. The bolero jacket was great, but I'd've preferred a dress or skirt or something. Probably more in line for the fashion thread, but as it is commenting on the episode, I'll split hairs and leave it here.

Yea I was appreciative of that.

Me too. The jacket was nice though.

Looking forward to the next episode.

I don't watch Bones or Revenge but imagine those shows have had multiple wedding(s).  Did their wedding locations ever look as fake?

Nope. Emily and Daniel's wedding on Revenge was at the Frank Lloyd Wright's Wayfarers Chapel. TPTB went all out with showing the wedding pics, 1st dance & cutting the cake. Jack and Amanda's wedding was sweet, intimate and actually shot on a beach (possibly at Laguna Niguel). At least they actually do a decent job not making their effects look obvious fake.

• Love 1

Beckett-Castle is a mouthful, so I doubt that.

Don't ever ever ever double-barrel your name! Take it from one who did way back in 1968 when I married.

And mine is made up of two unusual surnames. If you have my husband's name , you are a relation. Nobody can pronounce either one.

You will never know how the bank/gascompany/dentist/ hydro/phonecompany have you filed- as first name, second name or both. You can't get a hyphen on a credit card so your maiden name will become your first name. You will have an argument about the family name of the babies.

Keep your own name.

Or use his name.

But please don't double-barrel your name.

On rewatch, love how AU Beckett's doing her lip biting thing whilst reading the Castle book and after that theory building chemical interaction with him.  Oh yeah, girl was interested.  It's interesting how AU Beckett was kind of more receptive to Castle than pilot Beckett, or at least, less outwardly annoyed.  Even revealing to him she had loved his books after a day and saying yes to a date.  Maybe she'd been alone and lonely for longer and was really hungering for a deeper human connection, that she could feel was possible with Castle. 

• Love 2
Maybe she'd been alone and lonely for longer and was really hungering for a deeper human connection, that she could feel was possible with Castle.

I think she was terribly lonely and that made her more receptive to him plus they had this fundamental attraction to each other, that's what made it so sad when he died in the AU. 

People were mentioning fanfics and here's a list of them for any one interested in diving in and seeing what they can find.

The Time of Our Lives Alternate Universe fics and one more here.

The Time of Our Lives Post Eps

Edited by verdana