Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Welcome to the Fu-Bar

Episode Description:

The survivors come across a gun show that makes the zombie apocalypse look like a cuddly time.

I have to call bullshit on the gun-dealers from the pilot episode showing up 1500 miles away in the middle of Kansas at a random bar.  That is almost as random as the bullet that killed the bartender.

I have to admit that the writers are starting to grow on me -- any time a zombie show can manage to sneak a Glengarry Glen Ross reference into the script gets a chuckle out of me.  And I liked the spaghetti western music scattered through the episode, all it needed was a few tumbleweeds tumbling by.

10K has a girlfriend who's hot and a helluva shot.  Good for him -- awwwwwe, he gave her the BFG and she saved his life with it.

How did Citizen Z find out about Garnett's death ?  Would have been handy if they showed that, even in a flashback, of the group communicating with him.  Maybe they found another drive-through that worked or something, because it looks like no one in the group or at the bar was listening to him.  And where's Citizen Z's dog-with-no-name ?

Roberta talking out her problems to the zombie bartender was all kinds of boring -- it went on for what seemed like forever.  Get over it already, he's dead move on.  Murphy had it right -- everyone has PTSD, Present Traumatic Stress Disorder.

It was just weird that Addy and Mack up and disappeared in the episode after they couldn't find the pickup truck. Odds of them hooking backup aren't really that good if they can't communicate -- they really should get a set of those walkie talkies that have ranges of 30 miles or so just for good measure..

The approaching zombie swarm/dust storm isn't so much a zunami but more like a zombie haboob.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

So I had a couple of thoughts about this episode...

Murphy may be a zombie magnet. It would explain why every time these people are anywhere for any period of time zombies materialize to ruin their days.

The vaccine seems only to require the mass production of Murphy's saliva.

10 k may have received his first kiss from random sharp shooter. I was hoping they would add a couple of new sharpshooters to their group but one got zombiefied and the other went off with her dad. 

• Love 3

That shit was hilarious! 

I don't even know where to start: drunk Roberta, the ice cream truck leading the zombies, that poor bastard in the outhouse.  Even Murphy is becoming funny. 

• Love 1
I didn't understand the shooting contest at all. If they were all shooting at the same target how was it determined who hit it and who didn't?

I know! When they claimed Girl shot the zombie through the hole Kid already put in its head, I was wondering how in the hades they could tell. You cannot see that with a pair of binoculars. She could've missed entirely.

• Love 3
But they'd better hurry up because Murphy's dying/turning into a zombie. A toothless one.

Was his sticking used bullets into his gums to create metal teeth? I saw him take the bullet out of dead-non-zombie guy's chest and stick it in his mouth like he was pressing it into a slot, but I wasn't sure what he was doing.

(edited)
Was his sticking used bullets into his gums to create metal teeth? I saw him take the bullet out of dead-non-zombie guy's chest and stick it in his mouth like he was pressing it into a slot, but I wasn't sure what he was doing.

Actually he was pulling out his tooth from where he bit that guy.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Word of the day:  haboob.  I like it!

Much like Swatch on Project Runway, I neeeed that weekly doggie fix.  Don't let me down, show.  Plus, I enjoy DJ Qualls' wry interaction with his dog more than his dewy-eyed philosophical moments.

Agree about bullet through the head hole--I was waiting for the dustup when everyone assumed she'd missed.  Also agree the bartender scene was way too long.  Geez, was she going through the full five stages of grief?  (The woman can really hold her . . .wheat grass?)

I like having Addie and guy-whose-name-I-don't know separated from the group AND sharpshooter girl/father out there on their own, too.  Now our core team can get into some seriously hot zombie water and **boom** rescue shows up out of the blue.  Deus ex machina.  That shit never gets old.  : )

• Love 2

Warren's sad stupor and drinking were the first time I really was pulled out of the show, because--not sure if it was the acting or the writing--I felt it was just too over the top. In a show where over-the-top is what makes the show. I'm trying hard to put my finger on exactly what I hated about the performance, but it felt off. I've loved the character and the actress all along, so it's not that.

• Love 4

I think it was too much for Warren to have two mental breakdowns in a row, last week over her dead husband and this week suddenly jumping into bed with Garnett, and then falling to pieces when he died.  It doesn't suit her character.  I was glad, though, when she suddenly snapped out of it, and goes outside to kick zombie butt with music from a western playing.  Was that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?  Sounded familiar.  But I love her and am willing to let just about anything go. 

So if Murphy bites someone, they won't turn when they die?  But Murphy's body seems to be decaying so how long can he last. 

Loved the outhouse guy getting killed, turning, and stumbling out with his pants around his ankles.  Every zombie apocalypse needs a little comic relief.

I missed this ep the first time so I wondered why they didn't show how they reunited with Addy and Dave. Was I too tired to notice their abscence in Znami? OK, it's a silly show, but why would you send two people off to do some scouting and then leave without waiting for them to return?

The shoting contest didn't make any sense either, as did the show seeming to forget they needed a new vehicle which is why they were there in the first place.

Wow, Murphy's changing into... something.

• Love 1

I like the show for what it is, a cheesy zombie show.  The thing that bugged me, and I don't know if it was lazy writing or lazy prop guys, is the scene where they show the prize for the shooting contest.  10k asks "is that an M82 Barrett?"  It's not.  It's an EDM Arms M96.  All the other stuff I can take in stride, suspension of disbelief and all that.  But getting the gun wrong for no reason bugs me.

http://www.edmarms.com/images/845_DSC02720.JPG

http://www.bestfon.info/images/joomgallery/details/armas_5/barrett_m82_20130627_1919519729.jpg

Eh, the way I saw it, the error was kind of an intentional joke. Like, they thought it would be funny if 10K, forever the gun nut, couldn't tell a Barrett 50 cal from an EAD. That's my take anyway.

Oh and here's a possible continuity error for you guys to pour over: when Doc runs over to stop Forman and the other men from killing Murphy, it appears that Cassandra is with him. You would assume that she just ran over from the shooting table. However, when the scene cuts back, it looks like Cass was focused on her shot the whole time, further more, she's not even wearing the same outfit: she's wearing a plaid top, whereas in the previous scene she's has a grey sweatshirt on. This leads me to think that these scenes were shot on different days, and by extention, all the scenes with Murphy are all shot separately (because Murphy's makeup changes every episode to show his worsening condition).

Edit: Aha so it looks like I'm wrong. I watched the rest of the episode and it looks like it was actually a different Asian girl. (they just look all the same don't they)

Edited by fiftynamesofmarduk
  • Love 1

This show cracks me up. The zombie shooting gallery, Roberta slicing down zombies to the western theme, the gun dealer's "Uh guys by the trading tables, try to be more careful with stray bullets", etc. I love that the writers are having fun with the zombie apocalypse. Plus, in a weird way, it makes sense. Humans can adapt to anything and after a while, whatever you're living through becomes your new normal. And then you have good days and things that make you laugh, even if your new normal is objectively terrible.

I am so curious about Murphy and what's happening with him. He really is the cure. But if the cure has to be injected, how are they going to get it to the rest of the survivors?

It's lame that Mack and Addy got separated, but that will open up the story and let the writers focus on one group for an episode and just check in on the others and then focus on a different group the next episode. 

• Love 1

I'm probably too late for this, but why didn't they take the RV that was solar powered? Murphy had the key, right?  Or was that guy just drunk and talking crap?  But I just kept thinking, holy cow, solar powered RV, don't have to worry about gas and then.....we're back in the truck.

All righty then.

• Love 5
On 10/31/2014 at 11:16 PM, BrokenRemote said:

Warren's sad stupor and drinking were the first time I really was pulled out of the show, because--not sure if it was the acting or the writing--I felt it was just too over the top. In a show where over-the-top is what makes the show. I'm trying hard to put my finger on exactly what I hated about the performance, but it felt off. I've loved the character and the actress all along, so it's not that.

I had the same reaction, plus seeing her blinding-white teeth also pulled me out of the show. It doesn't seem like dental hygiene has been a priority for the last 3 years and especially since they've been on the run since the beginning of this show. Also, the teeth of the skinny guy helping to run the shooting contest were so disgusting (and maybe realistic for the situation) that it made Warren's teeth even more ridiculous. I guess I need to fan-wank that she had a super-duper whitening procedure just before the apocalypse began, and it requires no maintenance.