Type keyword(s) to search

The Show: Sad Pibbles and Happy Tails

On 8/12/2018 at 5:34 PM, Maharincess said:

You're so sweet, you've made my day.  My offer is a standing offer, you are welcome any time. 

On 8/12/2018 at 5:58 PM, chenoa333 said:

I will hold you to that! As the song goes "happy trails to you, until we meet again (someday) " 

Your kindness and compassion for all living beings shines through your tough armor!! Lol

Awww  Both of you are so sweet !  : ) 

• Love 2

I chose to have Villalobos as my birthday fundraiser on FB. It was a spur of the moment decision, made by the fact FB donates $5 to whichever cause you pick. It was a difficult decision because there are so many worthy causes. It's been a week, there's still a week left and I've raised $95! A small drop in the bucket for what they need. I was shocked that it was that much. Most of my friends are like me, broke, but love animals. If my Quark understood what the excitement was about, he'd be happy too, but he'd want all the food and toys for himself.

• Love 5
On 8/20/2018 at 9:51 AM, friendperidot said:

I chose to have Villalobos as my birthday fundraiser on FB. It was a spur of the moment decision, made by the fact FB donates $5 to whichever cause you pick. It was a difficult decision because there are so many worthy causes. It's been a week, there's still a week left and I've raised $95! A small drop in the bucket for what they need. I was shocked that it was that much. Most of my friends are like me, broke, but love animals. If my Quark understood what the excitement was about, he'd be happy too, but he'd want all the food and toys for himself.

That is so cool! $95.00 seems like a small amount but maybe there are 100 other FB pet lovers who have done (or will do) the same as you. and that makes $9500.00. Animal lovers are the best people! 

• Love 3

I don't know if the wolfdog rescue that was just on was a repeat or not, but, what a great episode!  One sad thing, though, is I thought Tia was struggling to keep up.  She's getting too old to do those kinds of rescues.  Good thing her kids are all on board to help her.

• Love 3

Tia went back to her rescue roots with the wolf dogs.  M2 deserves a bonus for this one!   She sure earned props from Tia.  Not that she didn’t already have Tia’s respect, but what she put herself through physically, the risk she took, the faith she had in Tia’s instructions when she could not see what was coming at her, and the fact M2 immediately credited the whole team – that was a new level.

My friend who follows Tia’s and VRC’s Facebook pages says there was a lot about these wolf dogs at the time they took them in and figured out what to do with them, but I think that would be a lot of scrolling to find those details.  She said she remembers a lot of “oy, the wolf dogs” posts but also happy ending posts and thinks they found homes (whether forever or foster through other rescues) for all of them, but if not, most.

It was a tough situation trying to figure out how to allocate their peoplepower; there’s work needing to be done at the facilities, and there are three pit bulls loose on a busy street, so can they really pull any more people onto the wolf dog rescue given how many are already there – but, on the other hand, the sheriff has said they’ll shoot anyone VRC can’t catch.

Similarly, Tia’s anguish over how stressful and frightening the rescue was to the wolf dogs, but that they had to do it that way, because they had no time – either terrify these poor dogs temporarily and then help them on the flip side, or the dogs get a bullet.

Going ten years without a bite is a pretty damn good record for Tia given her work!  It goes to show she really knows what she’s doing, and is further proof that the “pit bulls are vicious killers!” hysteria is bullshit.

The city dogs so scared they just wanted to hide their heads and pretend none of this was happening was sweet and sad, and I love the last one running right into the crate once they opened it up to he could be with his sister.  And then the one who was most aggressive under stress conditions turning out to be the most adoptable, asking for belly rubs within a matter of days.

• Love 6

Those were two of the more harrowing rescues last night.  I've got to hand it to all these people - working all day and into the night in the heat, mud, brush, bugs and precarious buildings must've been so daunting and totally exhausting.  But not one of them ever gave up.  They were amazing.  Same goes for the stray pit bulls rescued from the street - they were going to save those dogs, no matter what.  

• Love 8

Just a stray thought - pretty irrelevant - but how many freeking nails does it take to secure plywood to floor joists? I swear those sheds were built to last - just sad to think about the use they were put to.

• Love 4

I cry almost every time I watch this show. But I'm an addict and I just can't quit! I wish Animal Planet would have a series on cat rescue groups. Cats are the "underdogs".  Now AP has a new dog rescue show..Amanda to the Rescue. I respect any and all animal rescue groups. But I don't get the overlooking of cat rescue and finding them forever homes.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2018 at 6:43 PM, chenoa333 said:

I wish Animal Planet would have a series on cat rescue groups. Cats are the "underdogs".  Now AP has a new dog rescue show..Amanda to the Rescue. I respect any and all animal rescue groups. But I don't get the overlooking of cat rescue and finding them forever homes.

Testify!  Sadly, it's typical -- people spend more on caring for dogs than cats, more dogs than cats get adopted out of shelters/fewer dogs than cats come into shelters to begin with (and shelters get more volunteers to work with dogs than with cats), medical research is done on dogs first (and sometimes only; so many veterinary drugs are prescribed off-label for cats, because the only testing done was on dogs), etc.  If you ask me (and even if you don't), it's one of the countless things affected by living in a sexist society - cats are stereotypically associated with women, and dogs with men.  So, like women compared with men, overall, cats get treated worse compared with dogs.

At its country location, VRC takes in/adopts out cats.  We saw the episode with Jackson Galaxy (star of Animal Planet's one cat-centered show) helping design the cat condos, and helping Tia and crew capture a colony of community cats (ooh, I love alliteration, and I created it in spades without even trying), so I hope we will see a few more cat rescues/adoptions in future episodes.  Yes, it is called Pit Bulls & Parolees, and given how poorly pits/pit mixes fare compared to dogs as a whole, I fully support that focus.  But they also are inundated with hounds, and the show reflects that, and we see occasional stories about "random" breeds as well, because that's the reality of VRC.  Since cats are part of that reality, I want to see it on the show from time to time.

At any rate, I was glad to see the show return last week, and very happy for a new episode tonight; I desperately needed something soothing today.

Jed, the vision-impaired hound with burned paws dog Earl and M2 rescued under the trailer, hurt my heart.  The trust these dogs place in strangers, either because they sense they’re being helped or because they’ve just given up, never stops getting to me.  That’s an old dog, who had been someone’s pet; that kind of neglect and abandonment makes me so angry.

Little Boo putting the brakes on when they tried to walk her on a leash was funny, but it speaks to the fact they have so many dogs, and not enough people/time to get everyone the leash walking they need.  They have enough people in the city, but they don’t even have enough employees, let alone volunteers, out in the country.  But she loves her new owners, and they her, and curiosity got the best of her; she'll do fine on a leash.

Matt talking about how the dogs make a bad day better and give peace of mind was sweet, and I like him enjoying flipping the script and teaching his brother, who had always taught him.  It was good to hear Troy’s perspective, how in his ‘hood dogs are trained to protect their people/house at all costs, so he’s afraid of dogs belonging to anyone else.  I love that they started him with puppies as a result (“who can be afraid of a puppy?”), and you could see him getting gentler with each puppy (not that he was rough, just that, as Matt said, he’s not a particularly gentle person naturally).  I hope Troy succeeds there; he’s visibly lost and struggling, and I hope VRC winds up being the life-changer for him it was for Matt.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

Beautiful, well stated post Bastet. I had a friend (who has since passed) She lived most of her life in NYC. She was a cat lover and had a college professor who told her: "most men that don't like cats, don't like women. And most women who don't like cats, don't like themselves." I said MOST. Not ALL.

• Love 2

Mariah’s ever-changing hairdos and everyone’s new tattoos always gave away the timing of when things were shot, and now pregnancies and post-partum bodies do as well.

Rhino turning into the make-out bandit when he got sick again was sweet.  And, aw, he’s a blood donor.  I liked seeing how concerned Dr. Kristen was that he, of all dogs, was sick.  That it came back in the one bone she could remove was fantastic!  It’s cool that he has an e-collar that isn’t a cone of shame.  I don’t quite understand how it keeps him from reaching his foot, though.  Trying to get his little personal retirement village set up for him, and then the cancer hitting, reminded me of getting the twins’ house set up for Cheech and Chong and then Cheech getting cancer.  I'm glad he has his little pen (and kiddie pool), and that at his age and size that's enough to contain him, given his dog aggression.  He'd have needed a more involved/expensive set-up in his younger, more agile years.

Decker taking off through the office was hilarious.  When he settles down, I think he’ll easily be a dog that wanders through the building getting his cuddles, but also curls up on his office bed when he’s supposed to.  Warehouse dogs going crazy with happiness in their new yards always makes me happy.  Also when they make themselves comfy on the couch; I love how Decker likes to stick his head under pillows.  And that maneuver from behind when he met his new owner at VRC for the first time was adorable.

The two dogs running up to their mommy who’d passed out in the Quarter was so sweet.  Can you imagine coming to, realizing you were in an ambulance/hospital and having no idea what happened to your pets, especially in such a chaotic environment as the French Quarter in general, never mind during a festival?

• Love 7

I only watched during breaks in football, so I'll have to tune in to the repeat later to get the full picture, but I was sometimes a little slow in flipping back and halftime was well timed, so I got all the storylines.

Poor Buckaroo!  I knew he was doomed, and I'm glad he at least died surrounded by caring people, but damn.  I empathize with Tia not being able to get out of her head on this one, imagining what he went through.  I do that a lot and it's tough.

It always gets to me hearing something like Hoolie being so honored at being trusted with something totally mundane, because they've never had anyone treat them with even that basic level of respect before.  If he sticks with Earl, he'll be alright.

I like how the VRC crew often reacts to modest homes/yards with, “Wow, this is so nice!” sentiments.  They're sure not living high off the hog; all these years of "fame" and TV show money, and it's still all about the animals.  These people are aces.

Julliard is perfect for her family.  Did they say how old she was?  They were shown swimmer puppy Hannah (which means this story was shot a while ago), as the perfect way of saying "your 'I want a puppy' desire and your 'we want a mellow cuddlebug' goal are not compatible," and then the second dog was two, but I don't recall hearing Julliard's age.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I only watched during breaks in football, so I'll have to tune in to the repeat later to get the full picture, but I was sometimes a little slow in flipping back and halftime was well timed, so I got all the storylines.

Poor Buckaroo!  I knew he was doomed, and I'm glad he at least died surrounded by caring people, but damn.  I empathize with Tia not being able to get out of her head on this one, imagining what he went through.  I do that a lot and it's tough.

It always gets to me hearing something like Hoolie being so honored at being trusted with something totally mundane, because they've never had anyone treat them with even that basic level of respect before.  If he sticks with Earl, he'll be alright.

I like how the VRC crew often reacts to modest homes/yards with, “Wow, this is so nice!” sentiments.  They're sure not living high off the hog; all these years of "fame" and TV show money, and it's still all about the animals.  These people are aces.

Julliard is perfect for her family.  Did they say how old she was?  They were shown swimmer puppy Hannah (which means this story was shot a while ago), as the perfect way of saying "your 'I want a puppy' desire and your 'we want a mellow cuddlebug' goal are not compatible," and then the second dog was two, but I don't recall hearing Julliard's age.

I believed they said he was one year old with  a bit of puppy still left in him.

• Love 3

Potential adopters usually see more than three dogs, but when the show is edited together, producers pick three of those meetings to showcase and have the participants talk about in their interview segments.  They used to mix it up more as to where they slotted the "winning" dog, but they do seem to be putting them in the number three slot more often lately (not always, just more often).

• Love 4
12 hours ago, friendperidot said:

All during Buckaroo's story, I was petting my own pit bull, that poor baby.

Same here.  I rescued a sweet, snuggly pit bull after losing my Newfoundland and Chihuahua  within 6 months of each other, those 2 were bonded like no dogs I'd ever seen in my life.     I adopted my first Pit, then took her back to the shelter a few months later and she and I adopted her brother. They chose each other, I was just their driver that day, as soon as they saw each other I knew he was the one.   They are my first Pits and I adore them.  Believe it or not, they are great farm dogs, they're out with me every morning checking on the animals.  If it wasn't for this show, I never would have adopted them. 

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 7
On 10/21/2018 at 11:24 AM, friendperidot said:

All during Buckaroo's story, I was petting my own pit bull, that poor baby.

That story broke me, yet again.  I don't know how these people go on doing what they do, except, I do.  Because my heart has been broken into a million pieces SO many times by rescuing animals - one needs to develop a fragile shell to go on with the other lives you CAN save.  And when those sad/bad thoughts threaten to overtake you, you must train your brain to respond to the stupid "La-la-la-la -  I can't HEAR you"  refrain.  And go on to the next one who needs you.  

Edited by walnutqueen
because close quotation marks matte
  • Love 8

if, when we die and all the pets of our lives that have gone on before us meet us at the rainbow bridge, just think how when the times for Tia, how many thousands and thousands will greet her and give her a loving welcome. And Buckaroo will be there too.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

if, when we die and all the pets of our lives that have gone on before us meet us at the rainbow bridge, just think how when the times for Tia, how many thousands and thousands will greet her and give her a loving welcome. And Buckaroo will be there too.

The thought of meeting my beloved animals in some afterlife is the ONLY reason I'm not a die hard atheist.  

• Love 8

Boy, the producers sure love those swimmer puppies, don't they?

I will have to wait until the late-night airing to watch tonight's episode with Hannah, but I finally watched the re-run of last week's, when Caleb went to join Cardigan.  Watching the big sister get down on Caleb's level and then roll over onto her back was adorable!

I like that the new parolee (with the great voice, but I'm blanking on his name already) followed Mariah's instructions to not go into the cage of a few dogs who take time to warm up to new people, but spent the time to let her/him get used to his smell and voice by feeding treats through the gate and chatting.  As she said, it was the perfect balance of taking initiative while respecting the dogs' boundaries (and her instructions). 

I like how they're always happy for the parolees who are able to use their employment history at VRC to get a higher-paying job with more potential, acknowledging this is meant to be a stepping stone, but are also a little bummed when they - and the dogs - have to take a chance on/get used to someone new.  And I love how the person giving the parolee who's leaving (sorry; it's just a day when I'm not retaining names) is his best friend, but he wouldn't hire him based only on friendship; it wasn't until he proved himself reliable at VRC that the friend made the offer. 

• Love 5

Great episode with Hannah the puppy. But it's interesting they do not insist on the fenced yard for this family. The farmers are obviously used to training herding dogs for recall. (I've had two Heelers myself, and I have a soft spot for herding dogs. I never knew anything about Heelers till I found my first one at a NY shelter.) The VIllalobos crew said they were happy for Hannah going to a place where she would have room to run around. 

Once again we are reminded about heart worm. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2

I've often wondered if there is a reason that all of the parolees hired at VRC are men? There also must be female parolees who need a new start in life. I'm not criticizing Tia in any way, it's just my curiosity! So if anyone here can enlighten me, please do.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I've often wondered if there is a reason that all of the parolees hired at VRC are men? There also must be female parolees who need a new start in life. I'm not criticizing Tia in any way, it's just my curiosity! So if anyone here can enlighten me, please do.

Now that you mention it, that is very strange.  Tia and her daughters/clan are mostly female, and from what I've seen, many of the volunteer dog-walkers, etc. are, too.   We've seen how dogs respond to the female energy, yet not a single female parolee qualifies?  What's up with that?

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There are women on staff, but I don't know if any of them are parolees.  I know Tia has answered this question before, I just cannot for the life of me remember what she said.

I googled it and came up with nothing pertaining to the specific search words I used. I don't think the females on her staff are parolees. But what do I know? Lol. Even Google doesn't know!

• Love 1
On 10/22/2018 at 8:10 PM, walnutqueen said:

The thought of meeting my beloved animals in some afterlife is the ONLY reason I'm not a die hard atheist.  

Yes!! Although I have no family still living (and they were awesome and kind people) I don't really care if we meet again. But I damn well better see my beloved pets again or I am going to be pissed off! 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Yes!! Although I have no family still living (and they were awesome and kind people) I don't really care if we meet again. But I damn well better see my beloved pets again or I am going to be pissed off! 

You & me both.  I live for my animals, and I die for them.  Even my dearly departed Mum knew she'd only see me in some mythical afterlife if she followed my critters across that fucking "rainbow bridge".  I used to (semi) jokingly tell her : nevermind the white light & tunnel leading towards your not-so beloved humans; take a hard left & head for the animals.  Since she never could resist the charms of any of my critters, I'm fairly certain I'll catch her eating her beloved toast & jam, with a BIG corner of the toast just left buttered, letting our beloved Beanie Baby lick the buttered end, just like she used to do in this life.  Now I'm fucking crying.  

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

You & me both.  I live for my animals, and I die for them.  Even my dearly departed Mum knew she'd only see me in some mythical afterlife if she followed my critters across that fucking "rainbow bridge".  I used to (semi) jokingly tell her : nevermind the white light & tunnel leading towards your not-so beloved humans; take a hard left & head for the animals.  Since she never could resist the charms of any of my critters, I'm fairly certain I'll catch her eating her beloved toast & jam, with a BIG corner of the toast just left buttered, letting our beloved Beanie Baby lick the buttered end, just like she used to do in this life.  Now I'm fucking crying.  

Oh, WalnutQueen....I ❤ you! Very poetic, sentimental words!

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I think we could be friends ... ?

We already are! You live not too far from me. Maybe we can meet someday at the Cat Cafe in San Diego. 

So getting back on topic.....I LOVE animals! Lol!

• Love 2

You are too damned kind.  Be careful who you befriend, lest she leaves you the keys to Casa de Deplorable and all the critter queendom  ...   :-)

I've longed for a pit bull since forever, but am saddled with cats who've adopted me - and they're fairly intolerant.  As is TeeVee-watching Mama raccoon & her offspring.  I'd hate to saddle Tia et al with training a doggie to tolerate all the critters that co-exist peacefully at my back door.  :=)  Not to mention the VET BILLS - bankrupted me.

(oh - I didn't ignore your Cat Cafe suggestion; it's just that I haven't ventured more than a couple of miles from home base in many years  (hermit!!!) - but I would venture out of my comfort zone for you).

BTW - are you watching Amanda to the Rescue?  I've only seen one episode, but the 2 legged boxer has captured my heart. 

• Love 2
On 11/4/2018 at 6:18 AM, GussieK said:

Great episode with Hannah the puppy. But it's interesting they do not insist on the fenced yard for this family. The farmers are obviously used to training herding dogs for recall. (I've had two Heelers myself, and I have a soft spot for herding dogs. I never knew anything about Heelers till I found my first one at a NY shelter.) The VIllalobos crew said they were happy for Hannah going to a place where she would have room to run around. 

I realized today that I fell asleep not far into the late airing of this one last week, so needed to watch the rerun tonight.  Looking at the property, I, too, wondered about there not being a contained yard within that vast expanse of farmland (that's what all the farmers in my family have), but their previous dog was by his side all day, and then curled up in the house at night. All the farmers in my family have a dog like that, too - in the truck, on the tractor, in the crops, the dog is always right there.  So I think Hannah will have plenty of room to run, but won't be off wandering on her own 50 acres away -- she'll be where she can be called back when need be.  In the update footage, she was on a long leash around the horses, so I think they're easing her into farm life.  Like the woman said, they really don't go anywhere; they're always on the farm/ranch, and she's alone a lot because of the hours he works, so whether at home with her or out with him, Hannah will be a very close companion.

Hannah's personality is hilarious; equal parts sweet and wild child, so she might be a bit of a pistol to train, but I'm sure she'll settle into a good pet.  She definitely won't be intimated by the cows and horses, and I don't think she'll bother them, either -- maybe pester them a little bit until she realizes they don't want to play.  She was so excited to see the owners again - she's excited about pretty much everything, which is adorable. 

John Coffey and Jane were both sweeties, too.

The next football game I'm interested in doesn't start until 7:30, so I can watch the new episode right now and not have to worry about conking out later, yay.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

Loved the pups trying the cupcakes. I can't remember the name of the pup that had that cupcake stuffed into its mouth. Hope that activity takes off for them. They could sell them online.

That was Lulu, Tania's pup.  Too funny!  :-)

It was so nice to see Sunshine respond so positively to Melody once they got back home.  That little Westie was a real cutie patootie.

• Love 5

That doggy cupcake party looked like so much fun.  And I love that they tested them on little dogs, because most big dogs will scarf down anything, so they needed the picky eaters to tell them if the cupcakes would be a hit.  I love Lizzie's dog whose name I am forgetting just sitting there watching the world go by while Lizzie says, "Look, there's a cupcake in front of you!"  And then Lulu picking up the entire thing in her mouth - hah.  And the friend's little dog just shoving her/his head in the bowl and going to town while all this laughter is going on - adorable.  Lulu - Tania's "devil dog" - must be mellowing in her old age; I loved when Tania would use her to test how dogs deal with an annoying little menace bothering them.  Maybe she only bothers big dogs - Napoleon complex.

I laughed when Lulu wasn't into the bone cake Mariah made at home, and Mariah said they'd always been buds but now Lulu was doing her dirty.  The sister interaction was fun in this one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

The worker that took the little chi weenie they found at the trailer looked sick or anorexic or something.  Not trying to be judge because I admire and appreciate anyone that helps animals but damn, most of their employees look like their on deaths door.  WTF?????   

On 11/10/2018 at 6:48 PM, GussieK said:

Watching the new episode now. Wifi looks so much like my current dog!  Mine is a Thai street dog rescue. 

You brought a stray dog home with you from Thailand?  You're my kind of (animal lover) crazy!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

You brought a stray dog home with you from Thailand?  You're my kind of (animal lover) crazy!

Well, I can't take credit for it. I've never even been to Thailand. I got her at a local shelter here in N.Y.  Another crazy lady makes trips to Thailand and brings groups of dogs back. There's a very nice dog rescue group there called Dog Rescue Thailand. Some of the dogs go to Sweden because the founder is from there. Everyone posts in a Facebook group. The dogs all have a similar look. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Well, I can't take credit for it. I've never even been to Thailand. I got her at a local shelter here in N.Y.  Another crazy lady makes trips to Thailand and brings groups of dogs back. There's a very nice dog rescue group there called Dog Rescue Thailand. Some of the dogs go to Sweden because the founder is from there. Everyone posts in a Facebook group. The dogs all have a similar look. 

That's the look of " thank you for saving me". It's the most rewarding look animal rescuers can get!

But I do understand what you mean. Although the actual folks involved in the rescues are the true angels in this mission to save dogs (and hopefully cats, too) from a horrible fate.....YOU are the one being responsible for showing this animal what eternal  kindness, compassion and love feels like.

You are so sweet GUSSIEK. I hope your dog brings many years of love, companionship and fun into your world!

• Love 2

Holy fuck! Season 11 Episode 9 "Finally Free". Tia and crew rescuing those 35+ dogs and puppies that were chained up outside with no food or water. Emaciated, some with mange, some near death. 

There's got to be a special kind of hell for this bitch that "owned" those dogs and abused them.

• Love 6