Type keyword(s) to search

Manhattan Love Story - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was cute but I'm not sure what the problem with it was. Frankly I found it infinitely more watchable than Selfie, and that may in fact be the problem - people tuned in for Selfie just for the better known lead actors (and better promotion) and weren't enamored enough by it to stay tuned for the better show that followed it. That's my theory anyway.

• Love 2

It was cute but I'm not sure what the problem with it was. Frankly I found it infinitely more watchable than Selfie, and that may in fact be the problem - people tuned in for Selfie just for the better known lead actors (and better promotion) and weren't enamored enough by it to stay tuned for the better show that followed it. That's my theory anyway.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  I think a lot of people that tuned in for Selfie were turned off by it and either tuned out during or just after deciding not to watch the next show because they were disappointed, annoyed, or frustrated by the first show of a comedy pair.  I know I tend to get like that sometimes.  The people I know who have been watching both prefer Manhattan Love Story over Selfie.  But I also know people who were frustrated with Selfie and just turned the television off or changed the channel because of it, never giving MLS a chance.

That and the early bad press of course, which considering how bad most of the other new comedies have been, I don't think was deserved at all.

Analeigh was great in this, but so were her co-stars, in my opinion.  I liked that it wasn't cartoonish or gimmicky like the other new romantic comedies seem to be.  The acting here was very good to excellent, and the cast had a very nice, easy chemistry. 

Jake McDorman was very appealing as Peter, who could have come across as a very douchey guy in the hands of a lesser actor. I also really liked Nicolas Wright as his bearded brother David.  (I had to look up all these names.)  How cute was he in the episode with the baby?  So adorable!  Their sister Chloe was a very fun character too, and I could totally buy those sibling relationships.  And Kurt Fuller is always great, as he was here playing the dad.

The actress playing Amy did a nice job with a character that could have otherwise been super annoying.  She did seem to have a bit of a vocal fry thing going on though, which could be grating, but at least it wasn't a constant thing.

I am getting increasingly frustrated watching the other new romantic comedies, and may just ditch the rest of them in protest.   I wanted to see more of this story play out.

Did ABC really have to pull this one so soon?   I guess they will just double up on Selphies, but won't they just end up running out of episodes too soon?

• Love 1
I guess they will just double up on Selphies, but won't they just end up running out of episodes too soon?

Looks like back-to-back Selfies next Tuesday.  Maybe they're going to burn them off and put in a couple of mid-season replacements.

Came here to find out what was up when my DVR didn't record MLS last night. Too bad.  I wasn't particularly invested, but I'd have kept watching.  

• Love 1

I just came over to register my disappointment at this show being cancelled. I thought it was sweet and thoughtful, which is probably what killed it. Of this show and Selfie, I thought Selfie was the weaker show, but it remains. All I can figure is that Selfie has two built-in fan bases (Star Trek and Dr. Who) and that helps its numbers.

• Love 3

I have no idea, but there must be at least a few more episodes filmed.  I really want to see them.  I understand that Selfie filmed all 13 of its episodes, and ABC just pulled that show too.   I am really disgusted with the network.  They should have just let both shows run for the original 13 episode orders and let them wrap up the story for the viewers. (Like NBC is doing with A to Z which has been cancelled.)  I will think long and hard before I ever allow myself to get invested in another ABC show.

• Love 1

Looks like ABC released the remaining episodes on their site (you do have to sign in using your cable provider's verification). They had up through episode 11 listed as available. I haven't seen them yet but plan to do so when I get a chance.

• Love 1

I found all 11 episodes On Demand for free. I haven't finished them yet, but I'm glad to get one last chance to watch. This was one of my favorite new shows, so disappointed it didn't make it.

• Love 1

I'm so disappointed too! I think this show hit its stride around episode 6, they toned down the head-voice overs and I feel like they made the characters a bit more likeable.

I hope they keep it up on OnDemand for awhile, it's such a fun show.

• Love 1

I've just started watching this online, and I'm loving it. I laughed out loud when Dana's friend said that every woman needs a gay best friend - and apparently her husband did, too. 

I loved the bit where Peter decided not to point out that her date was gay. She is adorable. I'm looking forward to the rest of the one season available.

Just came across this on Roku (can't remember if I saw this when it first aired). Binged all 11 episodes and really wish ABC hadn't been so quick on the trigger. Nothing earthshaking; but, intelligent, engaging, reasonably complex characters (although the cast did lack color).

• Love 1