Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: The Long Honeymoon

maraleia

Actually, I think it's the writers and the wardrobe people who aren't doing Ariel Winter any favours. The kid can act, but she mostly gets snotty intellectual know-it-all bon mots to drop on the family.

And her outfits? I get that Alex isn't into fashion and that Ariel has a stocky, chesty build, but good gawd, but she doesn't have to look like a gab lady.

According to an interview Julie Bowen did last year, the show intentionally dresses Ariel Winter in unflattering clothing like bulky sweaters and loose fitting t-shirts to hide her "sexy" body, because apparently they think nerds don't have breasts, so I agree that it's not puberty that's been unkind to Ariel, it's wardrobe. She's a perfectly healthy weight.

I also agree with the last couple of posters that Ariel is a good actor, easily the best of the "kids" in my opinion, and that includes Sarah Hyland. She does the most she can with the sarcastic nerd shtick they give her, and on the rare occasion they do give her something more to work with, like Alex's nervous breakdown in last season's "Under Pressure", she really shines. 

As for this episode, it wasn't a particularly memorable season opener, but it got a few laughs from me. I normally find Cam's antics amusing, but he was way too over the top here. There's no way that Cam would think that Mitchell would appreciate him showing up to his work function like that.

And I felt kind of bad for Alex. She admitted in therapy last year that she feels like an outsider in her family and at times it seems like they don't even enjoy spending time with her because her interests are different, so this notion that Alex is some kind of dark cloud hanging over the Dunphy household ruining everyone's day was more depressing than funny to me, even if the family decided in the end that she's a necessary dark cloud that keeps them all out of trouble. 

Edited by Everleigh

According to an interview Julie Bowen did last year, the show intentionally dresses Ariel Winter in unflattering clothing like bulky sweaters and loose fitting t-shirts to hide her "sexy" body, because apparently they think nerds don't have breasts,

It is possible to have a "sexy" body without large breasts...just sayin'

And I felt kind of bad for Alex. She admitted in therapy last year that she feels like an outsider in her family and at times it seems like they don't even enjoy spending time with her because her interests are different

I didn't.  She was a snotty, condescending little brat to the therapist, and maybe her family would enjoy spending time with her if she weren't a snotty, condescending brat at home. 

• Love 1

Well, total opposing view here – – I enjoyed seeing Haley and the boy being polite, I've had quite enough of Haleys extreme meanness, to which no one ever seems to think to respond with the word reproach. The Cam thing was over-the-top, granted, that I thought the J inglorious storyline made up for it. Especially where she becomes glamorous Gloria in less than 15 seconds. And her line about, "my husband is older, but he's not old. "Pretty darn insightful, I think for sitcom.

• Love 1

I think Alex started out defensive with the therapist, but the therapist seemed prepared for that, and did manage to get through to her. I wouldn't call her snotty or condescending with him. And Alex is no more disrespectful of her parents than her siblings are. The Dunphy kids are frequently shown as united in being disdainful of their mother. Not that it's behaviour to be modeled, but it's a pretty sturdy, if irritating, sitcom device. 

• Love 3

Aside from the Cam story, I didn't think it was horrible, and I'm not a big defender of the show. Last season wasn't all that good except for the Las Vegas show.

Maybe the highlight of this ep was Gloria in her grubby outfit and messy lipstick. Loved that AND her fanny pack. 

I also loved when Manny opened the fridge, and we immediately hear from the iPad, "MANNY!!!"

I thought seeing the Dunphys so happy and getting along so well was really funny. Realism aside, I also enjoyed how Alex brought a dark cloud upon the house. Yes, IRL that would be mean, but in a sitcom I found it funny, esp how things changed immediately when she walked in or out. Yes, she takes away their fun times, but she also brings common sense and responsibility into the household. 

I loved the little flashback to Phil wearing the giant Valentine's heart that said Be Mine, but saying to Claire, "Clearly you thought this said Be Mean."

However, everything with Cam was cringeworthy. That was really hard to watch, esp when he came to Mitchell's work. 

I agree with you about the overall message with Alex, but since neither parent seems that interested in her, Phil's favorite is Luke and Claire's is Haley, it just seemed overly cruel when the original message was, "We were happier without you."

Edited by FavFable

It is possible to have a "sexy" body without large breasts...just sayin'

Of course it's possible and no one said otherwise. I was simply using the word Julie Bowen used in the interview to describe her co-star and explain the wardrobe issue, hence the quotation marks around it. 

I think Alex started out defensive with the therapist, but the therapist seemed prepared for that, and did manage to get through to her. I wouldn't call her snotty or condescending with him. And Alex is no more disrespectful of her parents than her siblings are. The Dunphy kids are frequently shown as united in being disdainful of their mother. Not that it's behaviour to be modeled, but it's a pretty sturdy, if irritating, sitcom device.

That's how I viewed Alex's interactions with the therapist, as well, and I actually enjoyed their relationship and wouldn't mind seeing more of it. I also agree that all the Dunphy kids can be disrespectful little brats, and I'd add Lily into the bratty group as well, although she at least has the excuse of being very young. But with the exception of Manny, all the kids on the show are often annoying little snots who are constantly rolling their eyes and shrieking at their parents, so I don't find Alex's attitude any worse than the other kids' either. Haley's tendency to shriek and scream at her parents can be particularly irritating to me, especially since she's still doing it as an adult, but it's par for the course.

• Love 2

Of course it's possible and no one said otherwise. I was simply using the word Julie Bowen used in the interview to describe her co-star and explain the wardrobe issue, hence the quotation marks around it. 

The "apparently they think nerds don't have breasts" comment implied it, in my opinion. 

Edited by ByTor

The "apparently they think nerds don't have breasts" comment implied it, in my opinion. 

But, since Alex does have breasts, the comment was on topic. That was the whole point. Just because "A implies B", that doesn't mean "not A implies not B".

Edited by MaryMitch

Where did I say the comment was off topic?  I'll drop it, but I am really sick of the implication that large breasts = sexy (or "sexy"); plenty of large breasted bodies are sexy but many are not.

Not to get too into this but I don't think that's what the poster was saying or ever implied. I think the whole discussion was about Alex's look and they were simply providing some background on why the show dresses her the way they do and part of that is because she's so buxom and they think putting her in anything that shows it will be too sexy, especially as Ariel Winter is still only 15.

So because of that they put her in these frumpy outfits that completely hide her boobs as much as possible. It's not about the posters and others thinking only people with big boobs are sexy or at least I didn't read it as that but rather that the show producers and wardrobe people not being comfortable styling her in anything that makes her look too buxom. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Hey everyone let's move away from the topic of Ariel Winter's body especially referring to her being sexy or not. The actress is still a minor and she's already had far more media exposure than most child actors due to her controlling mom and the ensuing court battles between her mom and sister. Anyone continuing with this line of conversation will have their posts deleted on sight. Thank you.

I think Arial is the best actor of the kids. I can't stand the way Sarah Hyland adds "uh" on to the end of so many words, like in the scene at the table when Luke said "stop kicking" and she said "You have room-uh!"

A little of Lily goes a long way for me; I thought this was the perfect amount.  

I think Arial is the best actor of the kids. I can't stand the way Sarah Hyland adds "uh" on to the end of so many words, like in the scene at the table when Luke said "stop kicking" and she said "You have room-uh!" 

I know-wuh! It makes me insane-nuh, And now Phil is starting to do it too-wuh. Stop it, please-suh!

I enjoy Lily. Sometimes she's the only dry laugh I get. But then, I like Manny and Cam too; so there's that.

I agree with this and the other thing I'd add to that is I would expect most therapists worth their salt would be used to first time therapy patients coming into a session relatively defensive.  I'd imagine it's particularly true with children, since in most cases they are not the ones signing themselves up for sessions.  Though I realize that wasn't the case with Alex and it was all her idea.  But all this to say I'm sure the therapist had dealt with far worse than Alex, who actually opened up pretty quickly.  But of course she had to since this is supposedly a sitcom. 

I'm also in agreement with those that don't really feel Alex is any worse to her parents than her siblings.  They all can be cruel and horrible to their parents in different ways and IMO if I were to classify which one was the worst I'd actually go with Haley.  Just because she's older and should have grown out of her bratty teenager phase by now, yet maturity wise she hasn't really changed since her high school days.

I don't get the plum jokes. Is it a reference to something or is it just funny because of the noise he made was similar to sexual gratification?

I thought Luke calling Haley "milady" and "kitteN" was a little weird. 
Dislike Cam, find him OTT and high maintenance. The work scene was hard to watch and I cringed at every turn; did find their last scene funny with Mitchell unearthing the surprises. 
"Don't pull that thread Mitchell." 
"Don't pull that thread Mitchell!" LOL

Loved Lily's "is fairy time over" and Cam & Mitchell's horrified reaction lol
Loved Jay's reaction at seeing Gloria get ready. 

Overall I liked this episode. 

I could have missed something, but I thought the plum joke was referring to everything (even the fruit) being "better" when Alex was gone. She's back, so bad plums? IDK. Guessing.

I hope they dont' turn Alex into the Meg of this show. [/Family Guy]