Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Wow Me

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Severide returns to Firehouse 51, but he is clearly not his usual self. Dawson counts down the weeks until she gets started as a candidate at the Austin Firehouse. Mills learns more about his father’s family. Herrmann asks the rest of the Molly investors to come up with some new ideas to turn the business around.

Thread opens at 11:00 p.m. ET after the east coast airing.

I LOVED the Molly's 2 storyline. a fun B plot to help alleviate the overwhelming sadness. I heart Hermann. Could the new guy's little girl be any cuter??? (And where does she sleep overnight when he's at work regularly?)

The Chief - so worried! love!

Severide continues to break my heart. Love him and Lindsay.

I'm not sure what the new EMT's deal is - are we supposed to think she's got a side deal as a drug dealer? Or prostitute?

Foreshadowing that Mills has a heart condition? I couldn't care less about his family search.

Gabby didn't bug as much only because I thought her scene the morning after was pretty true to life. Having lost a best friend, I can relate to waking up mornings and not remembering right away. PS: Hellllooooooooooooooooooooooo shirtless Casey!

• Love 2

I LOVED the Molly's 2 storyline. a fun B plot to help alleviate the overwhelming sadness. I heart Hermann. Could the new guy's little girl be any cuter??? (And where does she sleep overnight when he's at work regularly?)

The Chief - so worried! love!

Severide continues to break my heart. Love him and Lindsay.

I'm not sure what the new EMT's deal is - are we supposed to think she's got a side deal as a drug dealer? Or prostitute?

Foreshadowing that Mills has a heart condition? I couldn't care less about his family search.

Gabby didn't bug as much only because I thought her scene the morning after was pretty true to life. Having lost a best friend, I can relate to waking up mornings and not remembering right away. PS: Hellllooooooooooooooooooooooo shirtless Casey!

The only thing I took from the EMT's place is that, EMTs don't make very much money. My cousin was one in Chicago, and her neighborhood was fairly sketchy. Not pissing in the entryway sketchy but still.

I find Mills' family search funny just because I can easily imagine racist White Joliet family not liking the Black girlfriend. I find it weird though, that nobody ever came out and said that's why we don't talk to that side of the family.  Even though that's less of a thing nowadays, it's still not all that rare. His parents should have told them(Mills & sis) why they don't speak to that side of the family.

I wonder if the ratings will come down much today...

They did a little, but not seriously. Ratings are weird anyway, almost every show on Tuesday night was down last night. 

I thought this was a pretty weak episode anyway and I don't want to watch Severide spiraling out of control the way Shay did last season after that diabetic guy shot himself. We've already been down that road. 

I'm so bored with Gabby and her out of the blue need to become a fire fighter. That just came out of nowhere and I was hoping they would have dropped it by now.

Next week looks like it could be pretty awesome though.

• Love 1

Loved the Molly's business plan presentation - yay for Molly's food truck!

I'm amazed at Casey and Gabby's self-centeredness in not even realizing that Severide is on the edge when he is staying at their place.  I'm glad Hermann made a point of bringing it up to Casey.

Soon-to-be-baby-daddy Chief is hilarious and sweet at the same time.  Love the Chief!

• Love 2

The only thing I took from the EMT's place is that, EMTs don't make very much money. My cousin was one in Chicago, and her neighborhood was fairly sketchy. Not pissing in the entryway sketchy but still.

But why the big stack of money in her front room? Plus EMT's have to make decent money at least in the world of the show. I mean look at that awesome 2 floor apartment Shay and Severide used to have.

The Mills thing was weird. So he goes to meet his cousin and the guy is an asshole, but Mills is nice. Then the guy tries to reach out to him come to his work and possibly be nice, and Mills is an asshole. I get what his mom said but maybe the family is different now and is there any point holding a grudge for your long dead father?

The Mills thing was weird. So he goes to meet his cousin and the guy is an asshole, but Mills is nice. Then the guy tries to reach out to him come to his work and possibly be nice, and Mills is an asshole. I get what his mom said but maybe the family is different now and is there any point holding a grudge for your long dead father?

I kind of understand why Mills acted the way that he did toward his cousin. Mills has always seen his dad in a very positive light, and with his mom (and dad) not telling him why they don't talk to his dad's family anymore, he was unaware of how bad the relationship really was. I think the initial anger toward his dad's family being probably racist is what makes Mills somewhat justifiable in his actions toward his cousin the second time around. I think it doesn't help that the cousin said that the grandfather basically gave Mills permission to see him, implying that he holds all the cards as to whether or not they see Mills. Of course, we don't know if the grandfather has tried to contact Mills and his mom, and we don't really know that side of the story, especially after his father's death (although I'll admit to have skipped a couple of episodes last season, near the start of this storyline so I could very well be missing some pieces). Right now, all Mills knows is that his father's family didn't approve of his black mom, they are (or were) probably racist, his mom was trying to protect him and his sister and with his cousin's cold behaviour in the first scene, followed by 'I talked to Leonard Mills. You can see him', I absolutely can see why Mills would give the cold shoulder back. It gives him some power that he hasn't had. He hadn't gotten to see his dad's side of the family because his parents didn't want him to. And with everything he found out about his father and Boden last season, I could imagine some pent up anger over lies. I'll bet once he hears that side of the story, he'll either grow even angrier or he'll calm down, depending on what the story is.

I do like where Mills' story is going this season. Poor Peter; finally getting a storyline of his own, and it's racial issues within his family AND a possible medical condition. 

I feel bad for Severide, but I also liked what Lindsay said to him, about wanting to be his friend but knowing she can't be his girlfriend right now. It's not a 'no, I don't ever want to date you' but it's more like 'I can't date you right now but I will still be around for you'. I loved the hug she gave him at the end, too. It's weird because for a crossover couple, they work really well together and I've grown to actually like them. Also, better than Dawson/Casey because they're actually not too cliched.

Speaking of, I liked Dawson in this episode, surprisingly. I liked the moment when she's in bed and actually starts crying about Shay. It is very realistic and I appreciated that moment. I don't know if I like Straight Shay, though. She looks way too much like Lauren German and I get the feeling like Dawson will stay as a paramedic and become her best friend, which, uh, no thank you. 

Oh, Molly's. Those storylines aren't too bad. I'm not sure if I'm loving the food truck idea, but maybe I will.

But why the big stack of money in her front room? Plus EMT's have to make decent money at least in the world of the show. I mean look at that awesome 2 floor apartment Shay and Severide used to have.

Gotta admit; I totally missed the stack of money. Pet rescue saga is so addictive smh.

• Love 1

Oh, Molly's. Those storylines aren't too bad. I'm not sure if I'm loving the food truck idea, but maybe I will.

Yea I am not sure about it either. I mean I have never once heard anyone say they go to Molly's for the food. They go there for the drinks and the atmosphere (cool cop/firefighter bar). Neither of those things can really be reproduced on a truck.

Shay and Severide had been on the job for years when we first meet them. Severide was already a lieutenant when the show started. Isn't the EMT brand new to Chicago? Being new to the Chicago system, the new EMT might not be making that much. Since she was kind of a runaway bride, maybe she's got money tied up paying off her wedding that never happened? Still doesn't explain the stack of money in her front room though. 

I do miss Shay so very much but her death has done the impossible and made me... like Dawson again. I don't know what it is but I don't feel she's been nearly as full on as she was last season. I know it's only two episodes in and that's likely to change but so far she's been great to watch. I'm also not hating the firefighter storyline this season either.

Taylor Kinney is killing me with Severide's grief over Shay. I always would have pegged him as the pretty boy and not that strong of an actor but he is absolutely fantastic this season.

I don't mind Sylvie but she's not making a huge impression on me either.

Does anyone know whether Chicago food trucks can sell alcohol?  I did a little googling but couldn't find anything.  I know a lot of cities don't allow it, and I believe Chicago is pretty draconian in its food truck regulations.

I live in Chicago, and I've yet to come across a food truck that sells alcohol.  I'd guess no, just because of the open container laws, and also, to your point, the laws for food trucks here are really stringent - can't be closer than 200 ft to a brick and mortar restaurant, have to submit to GPS tracking, etc.  Up until 2012, they couldn't even prepare the food on the truck.

So, if they wanted to push the food aspect of Mollys, the food truck idea totally works.  But as far as I can tell, they can't have liquor on the food truck.

Thanks Princess Sparkle!  I suppose we'll just be adding more suspension to our already long-suspended disbelief that anything in the show is based on reality.  I just can't imagine them launching a Molly's 2 that isn't basically a bar, since that's all we've ever seen regarding Molly's 1.  Have we ever seen anything food related except Severide complaining about the bar snacks?  Must be that these doofuses (doofi?) are suddenly going to be chefs.

Molly's 2 is clearly an opportunity to get Peter Mills and/or his mother involved in the business. Or have Katie come back. The Mills have plenty of food industry experience, and Katie is/was a chef.

Plus their restaurant blew up, and as far as anyone knows it never got rebuilt.