Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Brainy getting “aligned” wit he his ancestors was one of my favorite scenes from season 4. And I love that Brainy doppelgänger with the ponytail, he’s always so upbeat and easy-going

• Love 1

Melissa talks about the end of “Supergirl” and not missing flying, what she took from set, writing a novel “The Powers: Haven’s Secret” with her sister, dressing up as Donny Osmond from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for her 13th birthday party, Jimmy’s daughter Jane dressing up as Supergirl for Halloween two years in a row, and Jimmy gives her a gift for her 14-month-year-old son.

• Love 2

You can watch video of New York Comic Con's Melissa Benoist & Thomas Lennon panel (about 30 minutes long) at the following link...

NYCC 2021 | Melissa Benoist & Thomas Lennon: Supergirl Costars and Authors
Thu, Oct 7, 2021 10:00 AM
https://www.findthemetaverse.com/comics/nycc-2021-melissa-benoist-thomas-lennon-supergirl-costars-and-authors 

Join actors Melissa Benoist and Thomas Lennon as they reveal the inside scoop on all things Supergirl and their journey from costars to authors of new middle grade novels. Benoist is publishing The Powers: Haven’s Secret with her sister Jessica Benoist on October 19 and Lennon will publish the third book in his Ronan Boyle series Ronan Boyle Into the Strangeplace in November.

Also, here's some media reporting on that panel:

‘Supergirl’ Star Melissa Benoist “Feeling A Lot Gratitude” For Supe Series & Impact Ahead Of Finale – New York Comic Con
By Alexandra Del Rosario     October 7, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/10/supergirl-melissa-benoist-feeling-gratitude-for-supe-series-impact-finale-nycc-1234851491/

NYCC 2021 – Melissa Benoist & Thomas Lennon: “Supergirl” Costars and Authors
October 9, 2021
https://www.supermanhomepage.com/nycc-2021-melissa-benoist-thomas-lennon-supergirl-costars-and-authors/

Edited by tv echo
On 10/8/2021 at 6:21 PM, Trini said:

Oh, this is going to be fun! Sneak peek at the Supergirl  tribute at Fandome with the cast:

I only just realized that Jesse Rath is still in his Brainy makeup; so they just filmed this the same, last day - wow.

'Azie Tesfai on Success of ‘Blind Spots': ‘There Is a Place for Diverse Stories’'

“When you give people the opportunity to tell stories that aren’t normally highlighted or featured, and you give them the space to do it authentically and fully and you don’t limit them, people will show up in a big way and that wasn’t surprising to me,” she added. “I think the numbers of how quickly and how many people showed up [was]. You know, a lot of these shows on our network, people don’t watch them live. We have a young fan base so they watch them on the app later and they watch them on Netflix, they stream it, so to have almost a 20% increase in live viewership, for me, really just validated not just that they’re interested in the story but they’ll support storytellers that are putting themselves out there.”

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

I mean, bully for Kelly/Azie and the show that there was a ratings bump. But the article claims that "Fans have hailed the episode as one of, if not the best in the series in the weeks following its airing,"

I can buy that there are fans who really appreciated the episode and its message. But I will probably never buy that there are lots of fans familiar with the entirety of the show who believe it to be one of the best episodes in the series or that there are fans who think it was THE best episode of the series. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

SUPERGIRL Farewell Tribute Panel | DCFanDome 2021
DC  Oct 16, 2021

Aw! That was really sweet and funny! It's clearly highly edited, I hope a longer version of that panel is released later.

• Love 1

Honorable mention for Melissa Benoist in TVLine's 'Performer of the Week':

HONORABLE MENTION | If Melissa Benoist is going to do one thing as Supergirl, it’s make you feel like you can change the world, and that was never more apparent than in the Arrowverse show’s heartfelt series finale. Benoist didn’t just deliver for the last episode; she brought the whole Amazon warehouse. Supergirl’s packed sendoff asked a lot of Benoist, who was tasked with action-heavy battle scenes, delivering a game-changing speech that would inspire humans to save themselves, singing with a live band, conveying the Kryptonian’s vulnerability in revealing her secret identity to the world and leaving us with a relaxed Kara after going through what was probably an emotional gauntlet. Sometimes, you can tell when an actor is ready to leave, and their performance feels phoned in. However, Benoist was the antithesis of that and gave fans the proper closure they deserved.

• Love 2

A bit about Supergirl characters related to the Armageddon crossover, from The Flash showrunner:

Plus, also, the series finale of Supergirl was shooting. It was finishing up right as we were shooting "Armageddon." So we couldn't get Kara, because she physically cannot be in two places at once. But once you take away those practical realities, it goes back to, "Who's best to tell the story we want to tell with Armageddon?"

Then that left Chyler [Leigh], who -- thank goodness, I didn't know we were gonna get Chyler. God bless her. She's such a trooper. She was so busy shooting the Supergirl finale, that I was very worried we wouldn't be able to make it work. But thank goodness, we barely were able to. She's, again, an integral part of the story.

The CWverse Super-Teams, Ranked:

1. The Superfriends (Supergirl)

When it comes to found families, the Superfriends ranks high on many lists. Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers/Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) was a Kryptonian girl adopted by a family on Earth, and this became a pattern throughout her life. During the six seasons of Supergirl, the show demonstrated the importance of found family in so many ways. From the love that Kara had for her adoptive sister, Alex (Chyler Leigh), to the Martian Manhunter/ J’onn J’onzz (David Harewood) becoming a surrogate father to both Alex and Kara, to Alex and her wife, Kelly Olsen (Azie Tesfai), adopting an alien child to complete their family, and the gradual forming of the Superfriends, this was a show about a family finding each other and fighting for each other.

Over six seasons, Supergirl’s team has changed and grown significantly. As Kara and Alex gathered more friends, they brought them in on Supergirl’s secret identity. This eventually led to the Superfriends growing into a bigger team, beyond the Kara-Alex-J’onn trio. They easily added Kara’s friends, James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks) and Winn Schott (Jeremy Jordan). Later, Mon-El (Chris Wood), an antagonistic alien changed his ways to join the team. The Superfriends inspired Brainiac-5 (Jesse Rath), an alien from the future, to accept his emotions. The team was rounded out with Nia Nal (Nicole Maines), a part-alien, part-human transgender superhero, who fought for her city and her community, and finally, Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath), who went from friend to foe back to best friend, and found new abilities through her time with the Superfriends. While protecting Earth from threats, both terrestrial and extraterrestrial, the Superfriends supported each other, learned from each other, and proved time and again that they were a family.

• Love 2

She didn't directly interact with the rest of the cast, but Alex had a couple scenes in Part 2 of 'Armageddon'. Not sure if it will be the same later, but Alex/Chyler is listed to be in Part 3 (Nov. 30) and Part 4 (Dec. 7) also.

'Can They Draw Too?: Six DC Actors Who Became DC Authors'

Helen Slater – Supergirl

Another major Salkind effort to build out the Superman mythology was the 1984 film Supergirl, with its title hero played by Helen Slater. While the movie’s own legacy is complicated, Slater herself has remained a beloved member of the DC family ever since, playing Batman’s beloved Talia in Batman: The Animated Series, Superman’s mother Lara on Smallville, Martha Kent in DC Super Hero Girls and Kara Zor-El’s own adoptive mother Eliza Danvers on The CW’s recently wrapped Supergirl series.

In 2009, in a special story for Supergirl’s 50th issue, Helen Slater returned to the character in a new way: by co-writing a Supergirl adventure herself with Jake Black. In this short story, Supergirl’s own complex legacy is tackled in a televised debate between the Daily Planet’s Ron Troupe and Cat Grant over a backdrop illustrated by Cliff Chiang of what Supergirl truly means to Metropolis.

Nicole Maines – Dreamer

TV’s Supergirl series will certainly be remembered for its mission to address such heady and all-too-real topics as sexism, xenophobia, homophobia and transphobia straight on through a superhero lens. In its later seasons, this mission statement came to life in the character of Dreamer, DC’s first transgender superhero on television, brought to life by actress Nicole Maines. Although an original character to television’s Supergirl, Maines herself showed up for this year’s DC Pride celebration to write the character’s comic book debut. And while the Supergirl TV show has come to an end, Dreamer is far too important a character to leave behind. If we can glean anything from the above post-series teaser image shared by Maines herself, it’s clear we may not have seen the last of Nia Nal or Nicole Maines in the DC Universe.

Reminder that Chyler/Alex guest stars on The Flash tonight; 'Armageddon, Part 4'.

---

A couple of interviews with Chyler:

https://www.thewrap.com/flash-season-8-episode-4-armageddon-chyler-leigh-interview-supergirl/

“I’ll be honest, I would go back in a heartbeat. I would,” Leigh, whose own series, “Supergirl,” recently concluded, told TheWrap. “I just love Alex and I love being part of just The CW/DC family and whatnot. And I’m still having a hard time thinking like, ‘How am I ever going to stand the same?’ Because I think I’m always going to have the Alex stance. … I’ve got to think from a physical standpoint, ‘I’m going to have to untrain how to be a superhero.'”

https://www.cbr.com/the-flash-chyler-leigh-interview/

A couple days before I wrapped on Supergirl, they called me about The Flash. After getting a bit of a reset, I thought it would be good because it gives me a chance to really be Alex again, be the Sentinel side of Alex, but still the heart and everything that I love about her so much that was there. I feel like I got a second chance to go out in a way that wasn't as emotional where I could just stand alone and feel like this was a cool way to wrap it up.

• Love 1

---------------

Alex/Chyler had a few action scenes in 'Armageddon, Part 4', but outside of that she was mainly part of a B-plot about the relationship between two Flash supporting characters.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Nicole Maines and Azie Tesfai took part in this panel for the Power Women Summit 2021: 'Onscreen Superheroes on What It Takes to Land Super Roles: ‘Ask for What You Want’'

Stars of The CW's Arrowverse and Pop TV's "Schitt's Creek" came together to talk superheroics at the 2021 Power Women Summit, and they had one simple piece of advice for women -- just ask for what you want.

Sitting down for a discussion on "How To Be A Superhero in Your Everyday Life," Emily Hampshire, Nicole Kang, Nicole Maines and Azie Tesfai reflected on their journeys as superheroes on-screen while speaking with TheWrap's Andi Ortiz. Each one has embodied an original character -- ...

Edited by Trini

Azie Tesfai was interviewed by Michael Rosenbaum on his podcast. She talks about Supergirl and other things. Around the 57-58 minute mark she talks about how they scrapped stories for season 6 when they found out it was the final season. 

ETA: Azie also seems a little ambivalent about her experience filming the show. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

At io9: 'The Fictional Characters and TV Shows We Lost in 2021'

Supergirl

While many first fell in love with Supergirl (whichever version) in the pages of DC Comics or Helen Slater’s live-action Kara Zor-El, a whole new generation got to see what hope, help, and compassion for all really means in Melissa Benoist’s incarnation. This modern Supergirl series had a wild journey that began on CBS and ended on the CW with a whole lot of action and questionable journalism between them. Like pretty much every comic book adaptation, it wasn’t perfect and had its share of weirdness over six seasons, but it also produced a ton of compelling stories with a lot of heart behind them. Not to mention it gave DC characters like J’onn J’onzz, Lena Luthor, Mon-El, and Brainiac 5 a chance to shine. From a plethora of villain cameos and bombastic Arrowverse crossovers to musical episodes and way too much takeout, Supergirl won’t soon be forgotten.

Dreamer Makes Her DC Universe Debut

After making her debut on CW’s Supergirl, actress Nicole Maines is bringing the character of Nia Nal, and her superhero alter-ego Dreamer, to the pages of Superman: Son of Kal-El. Maines will be co-writing Superman: Son of Kal-El #13 with series writer Tom Taylor.

<...>

“Jon Kent and Nia Nal are two characters that have a lot in common, both as superheroes with the weight of the world on their shoulders, and as young people with impossibly big shoes to fill,” said Nicole Maines. “Weaving their stories together for Superman: Son of Kal-El with Tom was a complete pleasure, and there is only a little pun intended when I say that Superman and Dreamer make for a brilliant new Dream-Team.”

• Love 1
(edited)

During the Supergirl panel (with Jesse Rath, Azie Tesfai and Nicole Maines) at Starfury's The Ultimates: Crisis con this weekend, Jesse Rath revealed that their showrunners pitched a Season 7 without Kara to the network...

(This tweet thread includes other cast comments from this Supergirl panel.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Interview: 'Nicole Maines Talks Her Dreamy Visit to ‘The Flash’ & New ‘Yellowjackets’ Gig'

excerpt:

... Oh man, it was wild just to be back and, I mean, I never really left the character because of course I’ve been writing her in the comics. But it felt really good to be back doing it, you know, with my body and not just writing words on a page. Actually getting able to be her again.

Even the fittings were so much fun too, just getting to be like, “Oh yeah, these are Nia clothes,” you know, going through the rack and seeing all the beautiful gauzy fabrics and floral prints. So I was like, “Yes, here she is.”

Nice to see Nia again! The references to Supergirl characters on The Flash have made me happy this season (though I wish there'd be more mention of Kara's friendship with Barry, not just with Iris,) so it was fun to have one of the Super Friends show up in person.

• Like 1