Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 11/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, legaleagle53 said:

My favorite will always be the one where Alex comes out as gay. You can see that she's already had a couple of glasses of wine on an empty stomach to steel her nerves and is therefore already a bit blotto -- and that's before Cisco and Barry Allen interrupt by trying to breach directly into Kara's loft from Earth-1!

Chyler was brilliant in that Season 2 storyline, both in Alex's gradual coming out (even to herself) and the persistent theme that she can't be around her mother without some liquid courage prep.

And speaking of Chyler... (Insta wouldn't embed for some reason)

Edited by MarkHB
  • Love 4

Screenrant has an opinion article that argues that Alex's story should conclude with her adopting an alien child in season 6. I guess that would be ok if it happened in the series finale and/or as an epilogue but they should not make a big story about it. 

Edited by Oreo2234
On 9/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

That's unfortunate I liked this show. They should replace it with one about Powergirl and reuse some of this cast. Let the hunt for a young Pamela Anderson lookalike begin! 

So, how would you end it?

Mon-El returns and she goes off with him.  I've been waiting for this since the disaster that was Season 3.

9 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

Screenrant has an opinion article that argues that Alex's story should conclude with her adopting an alien child in season 6. I guess that would be ok if it happened in the series finale and/or as an epilogue but they should not make a big story about it. 

Isn't that how Lois and Clark ended?

On 12/25/2020 at 1:20 PM, Trini said:

Wish they had used a pic that included Kara, though.

Indeed! (And, for the record, we actually got somewhere near 2" of rain yesterday, banishing almost all the snow by Christmas morning.)

• Love 1

Screenrant has an article of The Flash's Barry and Iris and how they compare to other Arrowverse romances. I really disagree with his opinion on Alex/Kelly vs Alex/Maggie. Alex and Kelly are just as rushed as Maggie and Alex but with less chemistry. And I wouldn't call Kelly a strong addition to the show. She's the most underdeveloped character on Supergirl.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:37 PM, Oreo2234 said:

Screenrant has an article ...

Well, that's the first problem right there. I've been trying to ignore Screenrant these days since they let anyone write opinion pieces and clickbait listicles.

But the article itself is written in the biased format of 'everything right with [A], and eveything wrong with [B, C, D]'. They weren't interested in any real analysis anyway with Kelly & Alex only mentioned in one sentence.

• Love 1

They occasionally make good points but it is true that there is too much underwritten clickbait. 

According to a TVline article the crossover between Batwoman and Superman and Lois is cancelled. In it the Batwoman showrunner also mentions Supergirl. It's too bad we never got to see a Supergirl/Batwoman crossover. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2

A bummer, I enjoyed the Kate/Kara dynamic and would have loved for there to be a friendship built between Kara/Ryan. Also just a bummer overall that with so many Arrowverse shows ending (and Legends typically opting out) we may not have any more crossovers in general.

• Love 1

According to this Deadline article some of the CW shows may lose some episodes in order to be able to start production on the next season's earlier. Though the article does say that they are "on track to deliver their full orders". I assume this likely won't impact Supergirl since its in its last season. Unless maybe they want their crew/directors available earlier to work on other things. The article also mentions Supergirl is set to launch mid-season but still doesn't say what month. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1

According to entertainment weekly Supergirl got nominated for another GLAAD award for some reason. To be honest I don't think it is deserved. Not when the same network has a show with an actual LGBT lead and they didn't give Nia or Alex much to do last season. 

ETA:

According to Deadline Azie Tesfai, who plays James sister Kelly, is co-writing the 12th episode of this season. I think David Ramsey (Diggle from Arrow) is also directing this episode. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1

Congrats to Melissa

The actress has signed a multiple-year overall TV deal with the indie studio and launched her own company, Three Things Productions. Under the pact, Benoist will develop and produce new projects for Warners. While there is no talent component included in the deal, that won't exclude the Glee grad from starring in a new project that she also produces.

• Love 3

Jeremy Jordan did an interview with etonline where he talks a little about Supergirl. 

Spoiler

He doesn't think Winn will be returning for the final season but he'd love to come back if the opportunity arose.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

'Azie Tesfai reveals how she came to write an 'epic' Kelly episode'

excerpt:

"I love Kelly Olsen so much and I'm so protective over her. And truly the fans, over the years, have made me step into being more protective over her and they've kind of empowered me to fight for her and speak up for her," said Tesfai, who is co-writing the season's 12th episode with supervising producer J. Holtham. "I actually wrote a spec script during the break, during COVID when everyone was home, just to kind of show Kelly's voice and maybe some ideas, and that led to me writing the episode."

For Tesfai, seeing the show from this angle was a reminder of how important representation is both in front and behind the camera. "It's been great, I think, the nuance of not just representing the Black voice, but the Black female voice, and every Black experience is different," she said. "To have David Ramsey directing the episode... that makes me really excited. Ramsey and I had dinner the other night and just talking about his perspective and experiences; they're very different than mine. So, I think to have such a well-balanced [group] between me, J., who I'm writing the episode with, and David Ramsey, I think fans will feel really excited and hopefully seen and heard."

• Love 2

It's annoying how they are scheduling it. We'll get 6 episodes then nothing until summer. I may be wrong, but it sounds like it will be back after S&L ends - which is a while.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

It's possible that they might move it to another available timeslot rather than wait until Superman and Lois ends.

Why didn't they do this in the first place?

The CW schedule makes no sense this year.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Trini said:

It's annoying how they are scheduling it. We'll get 6 episodes then nothing until summer. I may be wrong, but it sounds like it will be back after S&L ends - which is a while.

16 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

It's possible that they might move it to another available timeslot rather than wait until Superman and Lois ends.

Between this weird AF scheduling and no final crossover (I wanted ONE final scene with Barry), it makes me sad to see Supergirl sort of limping towards the finish. I wish they weren't spacing out this final season so much and prioritizing other new shows over this. Thumbs down!

• Love 4

I hope they treat Supergirl better than they've been treating Black Lightning. They create 1 master promo that they air throughout the week and air no "next week promos" or any promo beyond that.

They should definitely do a smaller crossover with just Barry, it is possible, David is going through multiple sets to direct. 911 filmed a massive crossover. They can get one person whose just around the corner.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I hope they treat Supergirl better than they've been treating Black Lightning.

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but it does feel a bit like the fear that "This is just a placeholder until they can actually get Superman" was actually true

At least it seems like this wasn't the original plan. Per the article @scarynikki12 linked above, Superman & Lois "will go on a brief hiatus due to a COVID-related production interruption that occurred earlier this summer," so it seems they'd initially planned to run S&L's full season, then move to Supergirl. I get that the CW needed to put something in that time slot, but it's a bummer that the start of Supergirl's final season is basically being used to plug the hole in their schedule.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

They might think that a show in the final season doesn't need good ratings and that's why they waited for an opening in the schedule before deciding on a premiere date. But then I also believe that both Flash and Superman and Lois premiered way too late compared to the rest of the CW line-up.

I am not holding out hope for a crossover. If Melissa is available and depending on how Kara's story ends maybe she'll show up on Flash next year.

• Love 1

Awfully Lex-heavy for my taste, but I'm still excited. Kara flipping backwards through a wall was a cool shot, I still like the look of Alex's new suit, and I may or may not have squeed when Nia and Brainy pinky-swore. Bring on next week!

The showrunners talk to The Wrap about why they didn't include a scene of Alex telling Kelly about Kara being Supergirl. I don't even like Kelly and Alex as a couple but I found that annoying.  If you didn't want to include that scene why make a big deal out of the reveal that Kelly didn't know? Why not make it clear that Kelly actually already knew about Kara instead?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

The showrunners talk to The Wrap about why they didn't include a scene of Alex telling Kelly about Kara being Supergirl. I don't even like Kelly and Alex as a couple but I found that annoying.  If you didn't want to include that scene why make a big deal out of the reveal that Kelly didn't know? Why not make it clear that Kelly actually already knew about Kara instead?

Yeah I don't doubt that Kelly would have been understanding about it, but that's still a pretty big moment for Kara and Kelly (and Alex, sharing the secret only because Kara is currently lost in the phantom zone). I can't believe they think we want to see the world's dumbest trial of Lex Luthor for a whole episode or watch William watch tv -- and not actual moments between characters? Are they that out of sync with what makes a good episode? Am I expecting too much? (yes.)

• Love 4

This recently popped up in my recommended videos, and I agree with pretty much all of it. Tonight's episode was especially bad, dialogue-wise (Nia actually used "Cassandra!" as an exclamation at one point).

Something to be happy about: Joint Interview with Melissa and Chyler!

Melissa Benoist: Our first couch scene [Season 1, Episode 3, “Fight or Flight”]. I threw a pillow at Chyler and thought she was going to catch it. It smacked her in the face and we couldn’t stop laughing.

(Chyler) Leigh: The [couch scenes] are such special moments. It brings a reprieve from all the action…and there’s so much of Mel and Chyler in there, I think that makes it even more special. I would say the vast majority of those scenes that we have done, it’s all improv by the end.

• Love 3

Something to be happy about: Joint Interview with Melissa and Chyler!

Interesting that Chyler mentions 

Spoiler

that she isn't in the episode she is directing. I know she's in Prom Night so I think Prom Again will be the first episode she's missed since season one. I think Melissa might not be in one of those episodes as well. Though I understand why its a little unfortunate both Melissa and Chyler might be absent in an episode of the final season. 

It's nice to see the Danvers sisters be part of the promotion of the show. Hopefully we will more of that relationship on the show this season. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2

Re the above spoiler

Spoiler

Melissa said in another interview that she wasn't there for the episode Chyler directed. That doesn't mean she won't be in it at all, though, since I think all of her Phantom Zone stuff was done at once when came back.

TVLine has the CW summer schedule. Supergirl will return from its hiatus on Tuesday, August 24th. It will have 13 episodes left to air. Its amazing that Supergirl is filming later than any of the Arrowverse shows yet will have aired less than half its season before it finishes filming. The show wraps on August 6. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

TVLine has the CW summer schedule. Supergirl will return from its hiatus on Tuesday, August 24th. It will have 13 episodes left to air. Its amazing that Supergirl is filming later than any of the Arrowverse shows yet will have aired less than half its season before it finishes filming. The show wraps on August 6. 

It's not their fault, but, boy, is CW's scheduling messed up this year!

With shows running into the normal fall premiere months, I wonder if the '2021-2022' season will start in January again? (At least for their top shows.)