Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Sex And Violence

DittyDotDot
  • Start Topic

Men are killing their loved ones while under the influence of a siren.

I think I might be one of only a handful of people who actually like this episode. I know it's angry and ugly, but I think these things needed to be said and it needed to be angry and ugly. And I think Jensen and Jared are so very good at the fight scenes with each other that I usually don't mind it when they tussle. I do however wish that the things said wouldn't have been brushed off as being under the siren's spell so they could continue to fester and fester for a few more episodes and then get to say them all again in the penultimate episode, but whatever, right? My other main complaint about this episode is that in hindsight Sam makes sense here, but as a first-time viewer I remember being totally surprised at Sam's love-'em-and-leave-'em attitude. Of course, with the knowledge of what's to come I see what they were trying to do and it does make sense, but it's a little jarring as a newbie considering they really didn't give us any context for Sam at this point in the season. Just as they never really gave us good context for Dean's torture storyline. And this would be why I find S4 so frustrating to re-watch, but I'm digressing again.

Anyhoo, I thought the idea of the siren and the angle they took was interesting. I always prefer when they take a creative twist to the lore and this one worked for me. And the strippers all being named after Disney princesses is hilarious to me. I also find it amusing that the doctor was so into Sam and totally ignored Dean--which is probably one of the reasons why Dean was so sure she was a monster. And this would also be a one of the very few times I actually found a sexual encounter on this show to be hot. The lesson here show...less is more!

I thought the actor that played Nick was great and I loved Dean and Nick hanging out at a strip club playing musical Trivial Pursuit. How fudgin' awesome was that!? And, I loved that Dean was so excited to be on a case with actual strippers. See, I don't mind Dean being a horn dog when it's not skeevy; in-fact, it's something I absolutely adore about him.

Anyway, I think it's overall a fairly good episode.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I unabashedly LOVE "Sex and Violence".  All of it.  It's ugly and creepy and the boys are horrible but that's precisely why I love it.  I thought Dean making friends with the siren played by Jim Parrack was wonderful and I so wish they hadn't killed off his character.  That was just a fantastic pairing.  Dean needed a new friend because he felt abandoned by Sam because of Ruby and it was a delight that Dean found someone that liked some things he liked.  But nope. It's a ruse.

To this day, I think this is the boldest episode they ever aired and certainly the most homoerotic. How the siren spitting the venom into Jared's mouth out of an appendage that was about as phallic as it could be, ever made it past the censors is beyond me.  But I'm glad it did. That was just all manner of awesome fucked-up-ness. 

And yes to the boys fighting. Jared and Jensen are such great stunt performers. They can still act during the fighting and its all completely believable. Love it

Yup. Love me some "Sex and Violence"  

I haven't gotten to this episode on my rewatch yet, but now I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

From what I remember, I really disliked this episode. I don't think it was the ugliness per se, I think it was because the tone for me seemed maybe biased? I could be remembering it wrongly, so I'll have to rewatch while trying to give the episode a more open-minded eye.

Until then here is what I remember dislliking and maybe someone can show me the error of my ways.

I thought the actor that played Nick was great and I loved Dean and Nick hanging out at a strip club playing musical Trivial Pursuit. How fudgin' awesome was that!?

It was awesome - and that's why I disliked it. I don't want to be shown the monster with an insinuation saying, "see if only Sam was like this, poor Dean wouldn't be so lonely, vulnerable. See the monster is giving Dean what he really needs." There are several problems with this for me 1) It was shown to be awful the way this monster treated the other victims, so I didn't much like the "awww" implication with Dean. 2) In many ways, I didn't like what this was hinting about Dean. The message seemed to be that Dean wanted a Sam who was more - compliant I guess. Trust was thrown around a lot, but part of it boiled down to Sam being less questioning, and more like Dean and less like Sam. I wasn't sure that I liked the implication that Dean wanted just someone who would agree with him all of the time, and that seemed to be the vibe I was getting from the Nick/Dean interchanges. 3) Dean really did get duped too easily in my opinion. And really? After what happened in "Dream A Little Dream" Dean's still sharing his beer with strangers. *Sigh.*

I guess I also didn't like that even though both were ugly with the fight, what the writers had Sam say seemed so much ugler. For me, Dean did say a sort of ugly thing - "what is with you and banging monsters?" (and bringing up Madison in that regard was kinda low) - but that was skipped right over. Most of the emphasis was put on Sam calling Dean weak, Sam saying how much smarter and better he (Sam) was, and of course the "boo hoo." That coupled with the entire tone of the episode seemed to make this all about how awful a brother Sam was. It went beyond Sam was being influenced and making bad decisions into "Sam is such a crappy brother that Dean preferred spending time with a monster rather than Sam." Well - I didn't like that message and hated what they did to Sam's character in order to get there. It was over the top - like much of later season 4 - and I really can't think of much I liked about that. I didn't like what it was saying about Dean either - as mentioned above - so really there wasn't much for me to like about the messages in this episode. And since for me there was very little joy that wasn't almost immediatey taken away or tangled up with mixed messages... yeah I'm really not seeing the good here, but as I said, maybe I'm missing something...

Even the somewhat sexy sex was marred by "ooh look, Sam's just having a one-night stand. See how wrong he's acting for Sam." And somehow they managed to make Sam doing it seem callous and wrong. When Dean used to have one night stands, the tone was generally light-hearted and fun. Just not a fun episode for me that I remember.

• Love 2

I didn't think they were saying that if only Sam were more like Dean, Dean would love him or that Sam would be a better brother. I took it that Dean just wished he and Sam could share those things. But not that it would make Sam a better brother. 

• Love 1

I would agree if they'd left out even some of the venom they had Sam spew towards Dean under the siren's influence, but that was not subtle in my opinion. For me, there wasn't much reason to have that in there but to point a huge neon arrow at "Sam is a crappy brother." It covered most of the bases of that: Sam insults his brother ("you're too weak" and "I'm stronger and better than you"), doesn't have compassion for him ("boo hoo") and considers him a burden ("you're holding me back"). The most they have Dean do is question Sam's choices in women and question Sam's lying, with part of that coming from a sense of concern.

It's not saying directly that if Sam were more like Dean, Dean would like him better and he'd be a better brother, but the two messages together kind of conflate that - it also doesn't help that this isn't the only time in the show they do this kind of thing. Later on we have

"Swap Meat"

with a similar type message. And I think in both cases, it's a stupid even if subtle message, because first I don't think it's true that Dean thinks that way and second we never get the reverse message - i.e. an episode where we get a "Dean" more like Sam with Sam seemingly happy about it and how great that would be. Usually Sam things - like the I-pod in the Impala with the moody music - are shown as "douchy" and worthy of being chucked in the back seat, so I think it's telling that they'd imply even subtly that Dean would be happier and better off with a Sam who wanted to be more like Dean - even the siren seemed to think that was what Dean wanted: a Sam of old "A little brother who looked up to him (Dean)." I'd thought that Sam and Dean had moved past that and more towards them being partners - until season 4 destroyed that at least. And for me, this episode was part of that.

I wish I could see it more positively, but I can't unsee what they made Sam into in this episode - and I thought it was much uglier than it needed to be.

And it's not that I mind Sam and Dean fighting, but I want a good resolution to it afterwards. For me "Scarecrow" did it well.

"Slash Fiction" / "The Mentalists"

did it very well. Even "Houses of the Holy" did it well. This episode just didn't for me, because it seemed so one-sided towards "see how wrong and crappy Sam is."

• Love 1

This is what I was talking about Sam's behavior making sense in hindsight. I think it's their attempt to try and seed in what was happening with Sam. The problem here for me is I think they needed to show some of their hand earlier in the season concerning Sam so it doesn't feel so jarring here.

Personally, I don't think they're saying Dean wants a more compliant Sam; I think he wants the Sam he used to ride with before he went to hell. Someone he can trust and a partner. The episode starts with Sam on the phone with Ruby and Dean overhearing. Then Sam lies about it. Granted Dean should have called him out on it right then and there rather than letting it fester, but where would be the drama in that. There's been a lot of tension between them and I I think a good airing can be helpful at times. Granted, nothing stuck but we can't have them work it out yet, right? There's at least six more episodes to get to the end of the season. Sigh.

I think we're supposed to be confused about Sam's words and behavior, jut as Dean is. Only in hindsight do I understand how much Sam was being affected by his addiction. I don't think they're saying that Sam is crappy, but they're trying to say something is wrong with Sam. It's unfortunate that they wanted everything Sam to be such a mystery in S4. I think they thought everyone would applaud them when they got to the end and revealed what was going on and it would be a great surprise. I was just so tired of the mystery and no resolution that I can't really give them that kudos they wanted myself.

So, when I watched this episode the first time, I didn't get it nor did I like it. But viewing now with the knowledge I have, I like it more.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
Only in hindsight do I understand how much Sam was being affected by his addiction. I don't think they're saying that Sam is crappy, but they're trying to say something is wrong with Sam. It's unfortunate that they wanted everything Sam to be such a mystery in S4. I think they thought everyone would applaud them when they got to the end and revealed what was going on and it would be a great surprise. I was just so tired of the mystery and no resolution that I can't really give them that kudos they wanted myself.

(Warning: potential rants ahead. But I think that I finally, finally explain what really bugs me about this episode, so that it makes some sort of sense. You can skip to that end part - or just the entire thing - if you wish).

I agree that leaving so much as a "mystery" was a definite mistake, since it was difficult to understand Sam's motivations.

Unfortunately for me, the answer to the mystery and therefore the explanation for Sam's motivations also wasn't clear. At the same time I think that they wanted to be showing that Sam's behavior - like we saw in this episode - was due to Sam being affected by his addiction, they were also giving entirely opposite messages in the end. In "Lucifer Rising" we get Ruby's

Dumbo speech

which seemed to be saying that the blood aaddicition

had nothing to do with Sam's behavior, that it was just all Sam and his choices

- which in my opinion contradicts the addiction being shown to affect Sam's behavior. So which one is it? In trying to have it both ways, I think they left me with the feeling in hindsight that the behavior they were showing from Sam here was now "just Sam" and that's what I really dislike and thought was damaging to Sam's character.

Personally, I don't think they're saying Dean wants a more compliant Sam; I think he wants the Sam he used to ride with before he went to hell. Someone he can trust and a partner.

I agree this is mostly what they were trying to say, which is why it annoys me when they throw in extra stuff like NIck bonding with Dean over the car, his music, food etc. as well. (Which they also did in

"Swap Meat."

) It just confuses the issue in my opinion. It was also confusing a bit that the trust that Dean wanted and was looking for was Nick just going with what Dean said and "trusting him" because Nick was really only doing it because he was lying to him - because when do either Sam or Dean ever just go with the other brother's plea to "just trust me on this one" in a situation like that? (hardly ever, from what I remember.) The arguing and bouncing different opinions on something is for me part of what makes Sam and Dean work as a partnership - they fill in each other's weaknesses. What Dean used to be abe to trust Sam on was - as you say -  to not lie to him and to have his back - which is a different situation form Dean saying something like "I just have a feeling about this" (which he was wrong), so "just trust me on this one" (which Nick did, but only because he was lying).

Maybe I'm describing this incorrectly. I think what I'm trying to say is that they didn't do a good job here for me of paralleling what Dean was supposedly missing form Sam. The situation was off. Sam and Dean often disagreed on what is going on in a case - for example both Lenore and Gordon in "Bloodlust"  and what to do about the Rugaru who hadn't turned yet in "Metamorphosis" - and not just trusting each other's first impressions on something like that is par for the course, not something unique to Sam at this particular time in season 4. This was not the trust problem for me - the lying was, but that's not what NIck was not doing that Dean was appreciating. Dean was saying he appreciated that Nick just "trusted him" on his opinion - which Sam often did on battle strategy but not usually on situations like Lenore, even back before Dean went to hell. And it turned out that Nick was lying. So it turned out that Dean in this case was more appreciating an "ideal" rather than something usual Sam - even Sam from before this time - would actually do, and this is where they lost me.

If they wanted a more specicifc parallel, I think they should've had Nick being "caught" in some contrived lie, admittig to it, and Dean appreciating Nick's now supposedly telling the truth - with a "thank you for admitting it." This would've been a parallel/ message that I would get and understand. Not Nick just saying "Yeah, Okay, I guess" when Dean said that he had his reasons about the case, so Nick was just going to have to trust him and that "trust" being what Dean appreciated - since that's not normally how Sam and Dean generally worked anyway. That was giving a wrong message that Dean was wanting more of an "idealized" Sam. Maybe the "compliant" that I used above was too strong a word but it was that "yeah okay, I'll trust your judgement even though it sounds 'crazy on toast'" situation that was throwing me for the reason I gave.

Additionally, because Dean was actualy wrong about wanting Nick to just go with him - because Nick lied and Dean's assumptions were wrong - that would almost mean that they were showing that Dean was almost wrong to want that kind of trust from Sam... which if they were supposed to be showing that Dean wanted trust in general - whcih is a good thing and Dean definitely should - then why did Dean turn out to be wrong? The message was all screwed up for me and not looking at all like what they were trying to tell me... to the point I didn't get at all what they were trying to tell me. I was getting all of the wrong messages.

For me it should've been that Dean wanted a Sam he could trust not to lie to him - so show me that situtaion, so I can understand that Dean really does like Sam, just not Sam with the lying. Don't confuse it with bonding over cars and music and just going with whatever crazy theory Dean had which was stuff Sam on his best days didn't do with Dean anyway, so it looks like Dean wants some idealized Sam that never existed anyway. And don't then make it even worse by showing a Sam being a complete ass to Dean (not respecting him, having no compassion, and considering him a burden) and maybe implying that it's because something's wrong with Sam only to in a later episode state that

nope, that's just Sam and his choices

. This is going to make me think that these guys should not be together in any way, shape, or form - not just that there's some broken stuff that needs to be fixed...

So I take it back. I don't just dislike this episode. I hate this episode.

Sorry DittyDotDot and catrox14... I really tried to understand, but somehow ended up hating it even more. I hope at least my reasoning made more sense this time. *chaneling Castiel*  # : (

Sorry, AwesomeO, I don't have the time to read all of that, so I may have missed something, but I'd say that Dean would of course love to go have a beer and play Musical Trivial Pursuit with Sam, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't love and like Sam the way he is. The bonding was just Nick's way in with Dean, not necessarily what Dean wants from Sam, IMO. The entire episode kept showing how Dean knew Sam was lying to him about Ruby--which again, I think Dean should have just called Sam out on it rather than letting it fester--I thought it was pretty clear that Dean was annoyed about Sam lying to him.

Unfortunately for me, the answer to the mystery and therefore the explanation for Sam's motivations also wasn't clear. At the same time I think that they wanted to be showing that Sam's behavior - like we saw in this episode - was due to Sam being affected by his addiction, they were also giving entirely opposite messages in the end. In "Lucifer Rising" we get Ruby's

Dumbo speech

which seemed to be saying that the blood aaddicition

had nothing to do with Sam's behavior, that it was just all Sam and his choices

- which in my opinion contradicts the addiction being shown to affect Sam's behavior. So which one is it? In trying to have it both ways, I think they left me with the feeling in hindsight that the behavior they were showing from Sam here was now "just Sam" and that's what I really dislike and thought was damaging to Sam's character.

Moving to All Episodes...

• Love 1
Sorry, AwesomeO, I don't have the time to read all of that

Oh, I know - so I summed it up in the final paragraph. My main point - the Nick scenario didn't show lying as an illustration of missing trust. It showed something else - Nick just going with Dean's reasoning - as a show of trust, so the parallel scenario was off/ faulty for me.

The illustration of trust didn't work, but I get that I'm likely blowing that out of proportion. I guess it just bugs me on this show sometimes when they try to make these paralleles and then totally botch the landing, because the parallel just doesn't quite fit. Like trying to compare apples (Sam lying) and oranges (vs Nick trusting/ not questioning Dean's assessment of the case), and arguing "they're both fruit" as an excuse, but they're still an apple and an orange and therefor entirey different experiences.

Edited by AwesomO4000

Nick is the thing that makes the parallel somewhat inapt and I actually think that was more intentional than not. Since they wanted to play with the idea of a man being the siren instead of a woman, they couldn't include the sexual aspect (well not overtly but holy mother of subtext) and have the boys fight over a woman, plus both boys sleeping with the same woman...eep. 

So IMO the only way to make Dean susceptible was for Nick to appeal to Dean's need for a partner and that meant bonding over strippers, music and cars which has never been something Sam was ever particularly interested in doing and Dean never really pushed him to do those things either. I don't think Dean ever resented Sam for not liking those things, he just wished he did.  And IMO Dean doesn't want to control Sam per se, he just wants Sam to stop what he's doing and come to his senses. He misses being able to trust him. And alternately Sam doesn't trust Dean because of Ruby who is influencing how Sam views Dean and his ability to hunt and be strong. 

I guess for me the narrative works because the boys are now at a point where they don't trust each other. And the siren knew how to mess with that lack of trust. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
And the siren knew how to mess with that lack of trust.

Now that I agree with and makes sense.

It was just the Sam lying vs Nick being receptive to Dean's judgement that bugged. Because...

And IMO Dean doesn't want to control Sam per se, he just wants Sam to stop what he's doing and come to his senses. He misses being able to trust him.

Exactly - so I would have preffered that the scenario show that rather than what it seemed to be showing. As I said, a Nick pretending to be caught in a lie and then "confessing" and apologizing would have been perfect. Maybe on the nose, but in this case - for me - on the nose was what I needed on the trust issue if it was going to have all the other added details.

I guess it wouldn't have bugged me as much if Sam and Dean didn't normally question each other's judgement all the time, so that when Dean thanked Nick for not doing that, it made me roll my eyes more than agree, especialy since Dean was wrong, so I didn't get the point they were trying to show there.

Well you have to realize Nick was trying to be the idealized Sam and was being what Dean didn't necessarily really want but rather was fulfilling a fantasy. I always fanwanked that the siren was able to subtly hypnotise people before he poisoned them to get them to keep coming back until she could drug them.

I always do wonder how the jailed widower got on with his request for the death penalty: Iowa doesn't have the death penalty!

I'm gonna keep it simple here, but I am not ashamed to admit I love this episode. Like others have said above, it's dark and icky and doesn't make you feel good... But it still lands in my top 10 or so eps somehow!

It definitely does better on re watch and with all the knowledge of the rest of season 4, though. First time through I was so shocked and dismayed at Sam's actions and words that I didn't know what to do (actually, I needed to write my first ever SPN fanfic after this ep, lol, to get it out of my system). I won't go into all the Nick vs Dean vs Sam stuff. It's well covered above and I see many sides of it. I will say that the boo hoo from Sam and the *personal* attacks from Sam to Dean felt, to me, to be way too harsh, especially on the first viewing of the episode. I get it now.

Also, I never judged Deans line "what is it with you and banging monsters?" the first time around. When I re watched today, it didn't sit well with me at all and I realized for probably the first time what a dickish thing it was to say. I think I was always so focused on what the hell is Sam doing/saying?! That I didn't call Dean out for that one.

But, ya know, Dean girl here. Sometimes I think he can really do no wrong.

Edited to add:

I forgot to add... It's right around this time of the season that I had to break out my "bitch" and "jerk" necklaces to remind me that these two really do love each other. Really. They do! But for the rest of the season they're just gonna break my heart.

Clutching necklaces!

Edited by GirlyGeek
  • Love 3
(edited)

Each time I watch this episode I find I like it more. I think it's because, all season Sam and Dean have kinda been living their lives together, but separately. They've been in a sort of holding pattern for months now and this episode breaks that wide open. So, even though Sam is still trying to hold on to his secrets at the end of the episode, Dean is no longer willing to just play along anymore. I feel like we're finally moving forward for the first time all season.

Plus, there's this theme they keep repeating this season about how each of them thinks they know the other, but then show the audience they don't know as much as they think they know. This is the episode where Dean finally sees what we the audience have been seeing for months; he doesn't really know Sam as well as he thought he did. Sam already got that moment back at the end of Heaven and Hell, but instead of seeing he didn't know Dean as well as he thought he did, he instead uses it as an excuse to get back on the drug. He tells himself he has to do it now because he Dean is too weak to do it. 

Anyhoo, I always laugh at Nick using Disney princesses as names for the strippers, but it's also is a very nice touch considering how Nick is wish-fulfillment and a fantasy to his victims. There's actually lots of great little touches in this episode that I didn't really notice the first time I watched it since I was so wrapped up in trying to suss out what the hell was going on with Sam the first time.

As a sidenote, I'm rather sad this was Cathryn Humphis last episode. Aside from Dead Man's Blood and Bedtime Stories, all of her episodes are on my favorites list: The Usual Suspects; Born Under a Bad Sign; Dream a Little Dream of Me; Metamorphosis; Sex and Violence. She wrote some very nice character-driven episodes.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Re-re-watching this episode, I realized that this is where I started disliking Dean. All season he's been almost stalking Sam, waiting for him to do something wrong. This is the point when it changed from Dean worrying about Sam to Dean always being angry. Just look at his face during that scene in the motel where he realizes Sam is talking to someone on the phone. I see anger moving to being angry enough to lash out and hurt. Yes, Sam is keeping his working with Ruby from Dean, but I can relate to Sam not wanting confrontation and lying to avoid it. 

Also trivia: for the first time I heard Dean say that Sam was "c-blocking" him with Dr. Cara. Just bit over-confident there, assuming that all attractive women should belong to him.

• Love 3

I liked the scene with all the 'official' phones when Dean and Sam need Bobby to back them up.  

I was pretty certain the guy was the siren because fibbies always run in pairs (at least on tv).  but it was good misdirect with the doctor.

I thought the use of disney princess names was hilarious.

I was expecting one of the guys to show he was 'faking' it with the siren song until Bobby showed up.

• Love 1

The episode is great just for the wall of Bobby's phones. And the doctor who sleeps with Sam without dying is a hero among women. The FBI agent being the siren is a good plot twist. One of those that makes me feel like an idiot for not seeing it coming. Poor Sam can never break out of those neck holds cause every assailant is shorter than him. I always have such mixed feelings when the boys fight because on the one hand, my heart is breaking, but on the other, I'm always eager to see who wins. Thank God for Bobby being a badass who follows up on FBI agents and gave the boys soda because they were driving. That's so endearing to me, even if it contradicts many episodes in which they drink by the side of the road. 

The middle of season four bugs me for their lack of apocalypse plot. This makes four episodes in a row that veer from the apocalypse. Like are you even trying to stop Lucifer from rising, boys?

• Love 2

I'm still laugh that the scene with the siren's appendage that looks not unlike a tiny penis inside  shooting it's venom at Sam's mouth. It's remarkable that scene made it past the censors because shit doesn't get much more phallic than that. LOLOLOL. 

I do like this episode because it's so darkly twisted.

• Love 1

When you watch as much Supernatural as I do, you focus on the little things.  Like the wife* just starting to tenderize the meat at 8:30.  And using the same hand to touch raw meat and the meat tenderizer.  No wonder her husband murders her.

* Note: not a sexist post. She's just the one cooking in the scene

• Love 2
On 21/09/2014 at 1:11 PM, DittyDotDot said:

Anyhoo, I thought the idea of the siren and the angle they took was interesting. I always prefer when they take a creative twist to the lore and this one worked for me. And the strippers all being named after Disney princesses is hilarious to me. I also find it amusing that the doctor was so into Sam and totally ignored Dean--which is probably one of the reasons why Dean was so sure she was a monster. And this would also be a one of the very few times I actually found a sexual encounter on this show to be hot. The lesson here show...less is more!

i had no idea about that. thanks for pointing that out.

as for the second bolded i lol'd!

-------

"Did you sleep with her?"

"...No."

OMG PLS SAM THAT WAS SUCH A HUGE LIE YOU SOUNDED LIKE THE 5YR OLD CAUGHT WITH THE HAND IN THE COOKOE JAR LMAOOO

anyway this episode was great, especially the ending. you know they totally weren't okay with each other at the end with the brothers' rushed "It's okay you didn't mean it" and then it ended. i liked that.

i wasn't okay with sam and the doctor. not because he was with her but...they were in a glass office. that would have been way too invasive for me. speaking of, dean needs to cut sam a break with him "banging monsters", maybe it's not especially the monsters but the risk that comes with banging them ;)

speaking of banging, dean being all up in his feelings when the girl didn't pay any attention to him throughout the episode was funny because not only is he a ladies man but it's not too unrealistic that he's jealous that sam is giving his wanted attention to someone else. i've said before somewhere that i follow a real brother pair and while it's okay for theirselves to have interest in banging women, if they see the other giving attention to females, they will do all they can to do what dean claimed "c-block". because i mean come on, dean constantly complains of sam being a nerd "with a hookup rate of 0.0" he's so used to it by this point, so when sam ACTUALLY gets pickups it's not too shocking he may be a tad jealous.

i was so sad to see them fighting. i remember when my mother saw the civil war captain america movie, she hated the most anticipated fight of the movie and even cried, because she wanted them to be friends and get along. i didn't mind them fighting but seeing the winchesters fight each other like that just made me so sad, and i hated the siren for turning them and loving it.

i guess i can understand why people's complaints of the blame the sam game that went down, but the siren wasn't being specific on who loved each other the best. he may have said "It was you. A little brother that looked up to him, that he could trust. And now he loves me. He'd do anything for me" but then he said "whoever survives can be with me forever", so he didn't care which winchester loved him because they are pretty hardcore loyal with their love.

i don't think dean wanting a friend was too much a betrayal to sam, i think it just makes us feel all sort of things because we're so used to them being together and fawning each other. that's not to say i didn't feel anything when i saw dean call the FBI bro, but it's just because of those reasons. dean would ditch him if even one of sam's hairs was out of place. and it's not like he hasn't done this before - he befriended gordon pretty quickly as well.

when bobby turned over and said "You know, those sirens are nasty things. That it got to you, that's no reason to feel bad" and the camera went to the boys, sam just looked so guilty and sad, like he was going to cry then and there.

I liked this one, even though I figured out the twist. Sam is talking to the doctor and she is cool and all, but she isn't perfectly suited. Meanwhile Dean has a perfect match. 

The fight was hard to watch, but that also made it good. 

I enjoyed the use of the siren lore. I really enjoyed the take here.