Type keyword(s) to search

Kapow!: Comic Book TV

Kromm

There will be so many shows on air fitting this overall description, I thought it might be nice to have a single place to talk about the overall phenomenon, and do some compare/contrasting.

(What sparked this was the announcement of CBS giving a series commitment to a Supergirl show, which seems like it's going REALLY far out on a limb given how dependent it should be on another character who probably won't ever even appear on it--and the fact that the show is being co-produced by Greg Berlanti but will have nothing whatsoever to do with Arrow and The Flash over on the partially CBS-owned CW network).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

The initial reports of the Supergirl series (when it was being pitched) claimed it had a "new take" on her origin. Just giving her Kal-El's story would be so much better than any of the stupid comic book origins since the 80s. Every Supergirl since then has reeked of not wanting a Supergirl but feeling like they had to maintain the trademark.

All the stories I've seen on the show refer to her as Kara Zor-El... which could mean a lot of things.

Because Fox is developing a Lucifer series, I've been rereading the comic. I have no idea how that will work as a TV series. Not, at least, a broadcast series.

For that other character, you mean Superman? Why not just give her a version of his origin instead? Strikes me as the easiest solution.

I have some definite opinions on that, but since I think this topic is better served comparing shows rather than talking about any specific one, I've requested a new forum for the Supergirl show--and if they make one I'll edit this post and paste a link.  

EDIT - Dedicated forum for Supergirl (2015) -- http://forums.previously.tv/forum/1210-supergirl-2015/

The aspect of the show being from the same producer as The Flash, and Arrow (EDIT - well ONE of them), but on another network and seemingly separate is what I think is most interesting (and relevant here).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

There was a Generation X telemovie back in the 90's, I remember. But that never really went anywhere. Mutant X was produced by Marvel, but it was pretty bad. However, I think the majority of comc-based TV has been on cartoons to date. Maybe if the current new shows do well Fox will give it a shot.

• Love 1

I'm kind of surprised the X-Men franchise hasn't tried to get a live action series going yet, like X-Force or Generation X. There have already been at least three knockoffs; Mutant X, Heroes, Alphas. I'm sure there were more that I can't think of.

It's like with Spider-Man.  In both cases Marvel retains (or has regained) the TV rights but not the movie rights.  Marvel is trying to build a model where all of their TV and theatrical properties are unified. Animated shows are their big exception to that, which is why X-Men and Spidey get animated shows.

There was a Generation X telemovie back in the 90's, I remember. But that never really went anywhere. Mutant X was produced by Marvel, but it was pretty bad. However, I think the majority of comc-based TV has been on cartoons to date. Maybe if the current new shows do well Fox will give it a shot.

I remember that horrible Generation X movie, but I was kind of hoping no one else did. Shame on Marvel for Mutant X. I didn't even know that.

• Love 1

That Generation X movie was a backdoor pilot. Once I saw it, I was relieved it didn't go to series.

Wasn't there a lawsuit over the rights to make Mutant X? Was that ever definitely settled?

Edited by Wax Lion
  • Love 2

Honestly, I'm surprised no one has tried a Sam & Twitch live-action series. At least one of the basic or pay cable nets. Everyone went insane over True Detective, but if you wanted a pretty gritty take on cops and your The Shield spot needed itching, I would think Sam & Twitch would scratch it.

You have cops from Spawn's universe dealing with street crime and the effects of said crime. They aren't white knights, maybe a medium charcoal. I was surprised I enjoyed it, period. (Not a Spawn comic fan. The movie was fun and introduced me to the wonderfulness of Michael Jai White. Anyhoo...)

I love that NBC is at least trying Constantine.  I feel a lot of folks tend to forget the science and magic heroes that have a good, long history to mine.

Gotham's pilot delighted me. Agents of SHIELD may have it's legs under it now, and seems ready to roll. I have drifted from The Walking Dead, but it seems to be going strong. I am anxious for Arrow and The Flash to start up.  iZombie could be fun, but I think it will be on opposite stuff I'm already interested in. Yet, I really like Rose McIver, so I may try to catch episodes next day.

Has anyone heard more about Powers or Preacher? They were announced, had Big Names attached, then went silent.

Also, I have that Generation X movie on VHS somewhere. What? I had a crush on Banshee. Needless to say, I watch Cold Case reruns so I can still watch Jeremy Ratchford (Sean Cassidy/Banshee.)

Edited by Actionmage

Has anyone heard more about Powers or Preacher? They were announced, had Big Names attached, then went silent.

Supposedly Powers is actually and truly going ahead now, because they're actually revealing Cast Members now. So you can probably request a forum here now.  It's medium is going to be the "Sony PlayStation Network", which... um.  Does that mean only people with Sony Playstations hooked up to fast internet will be able to see this show?  Whatever.  There are so many alternate forms of on-demand media these days, so I guess this is just another one.

No clue on Preacher.

And... back to Powers.  Bendis apparently is going to be hawking it, including an actual trailer, at the upcoming NYCC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55725

• Love 1

Krypton, on Syfy. It wil focus on Superman's grandfather.

Years before the Superman legend we know, the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This series follows The Man of Steel’s grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.

Yeah. Strikes me as somewhat uninspiring and pointless. We all know Gotham will continue being a festering hellhole until Batman shows up. Here, we know that no matter how much progress he makes, the planet will explode in a few years!

My daughter started taking archery a couple of months ago and the people there were telling her about how much they loved Arrow.  We all sat down to watch it the other day and have decided to put a lot of our shows that we are recording on hold until the summer and keep watching this one until we're done (the "family with a lot to do" style of binge watching--a couple episodes a night, whenever possible).  Talk about a fun show!  And Steve Amell (Oliver)?  Damn..... ;)

• Love 1

Gotham's pilot delighted me. Agents of SHIELD may have it's legs under it now, and seems ready to roll. I have drifted from The Walking Dead, but it seems to be going strong. I am anxious for Arrow and The Flash to start up.  iZombie could be fun, but I think it will be on opposite stuff I'm already interested in. Yet, I really like Rose McIver, so I may try to catch episodes next day.

(Quoting myself)

I find myself strangely almost at a 180 from when I posted before, back in September.

I still like Gotham, despite misgivings about a couple of characters and some of the writing.

I have gleefully abandoned SHIELD for iZombie, not even watching the episodes later. I may go back and binge what I missed, but I'm not worrying about it. I think part of the switch is that iZombie has a basic straight-forwardness right now that doesn't have comics baggage for me and seems to be a bit lighter than Agents of SHIELD.  Don't get me wrong; I still love the cast of SHIELD, I was just surprised how fun iZombie turned out to be.

As for my CW guys, Arrow is trying my patience, and The Flash isn't too terribly far behind. I think part of the decision to keep with the Flash is a) Gorrilla Grodd being teased and b) Tom Cavanaugh knocking it out of the park every week.  Heroes that fry unknown persons for no good reason with their supersuit ( Arrow, not Oliver) and brag about/threaten a private prison that no one knows about, to a villain that was let go to wander around and thieve- but not kill? Not really heroes in my book.

The Walking Dead? I read about it here, so I guess I'm still drifted.

I watched and enjoyed Constantine, which wasn't perfect, but had a good cast and writing that was getting to cool places and interesting ideas. I hope it gets a renewal or a second life on an NBCU net. If Preacher was closer to airing, I'd suggest AMC, so they'd have a Vertigo block of programing. They could run it opposite seasons of Walking/Talking Dead?

I haven't sampled Powers, but since I do not currently own it's actual platform, I will have to find methods to see it.(If not Hulu or Netflix.)

I am, as usual, hopeful for the upcoming fall season. I just wish I was less disappointed in some of my shows.

Has anyone seen Comic Book Men on AMC?

I have; it's fun, but I'm not missing it. The guys on there are fun and there's Kevin Smith or Jason Mewes dropping by now and then. Kevin and the guys bookend the shows. But it's about a comic book store.  I've worked in a few, so it's not as fascinating to me as to someone else?

If you are a comic geek and haven't tried it, I'd say try it. Start with season 1. I think they're only a half hour and in their fifth season. ::checks IMDb::  They are a half hour ( less minus ads) and on their fourth season.

(edited)

Cross-posting this:

Barely any Emmy nominations for comic book shows; mostly in the technical categories:

iZombie, Arrow, Agent Carter -- 0

Constantine, The Flash -- 1

Daredevil -- 3

Gotham, The Walking Dead -- 4

Constantine

• Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Contemporary Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)

The Flash

• Outstanding Special Visual Effects

Daredevil

• Outstanding Main Title Design
  • Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role

Gotham

• Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Contemporary Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)
  • Outstanding Costumes For A Contemporary Series, Limited Series or Movie

The Walking Dead

• Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or A Special
  • Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie
Edited by Trini

"Outstanding Main Title Design"? I... what is this? Why not just have an "Outstanding Craft Services Table" award while you're at it?

It's a shame Hayley Atwell didn't get a nomination, but I suppose the Emmys would never stoop to nominating someone from a comic book show in the acting categories. At least Tatiana Maslany finally got a nomination, though.

FX tv is developing Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/y-last-man-tv-series-831981

If this comes to fruition and is successful I'd love to see them also do an adaptation Vaughn's Saga after it is all finished.

I can't see anyone adapting Saga successfully. I mean, didn't BKV say he intended for it to be 'unadaptable'. It just seems like a world that could never successfully be put on screen without spending an absolute fortune in CGI.

I'll look forward to Y: The Last Man, though. Loved that series, cried like a baby at the end, was horrified when a movie was being talked about, starring Shia Lebouef. I wonder if they could get Nicole Beharie to play Agent 355. Zach Levi as Yorick, as suggested in that article, would be tremendous as well. He has the charm to pull it off.

NBC orders pilot for Powerless:

“Powerless,” the DC Comics workplace comedy, has also landed a formal pilot order, after being picked up with a pilot production commitment last year.

Set in the DC Comics universe full of superheroes, villains and people just like us, the single-camera series is an office comedy about the exceedingly average employees at an insurance company and their quest to find their own power.

Based on characters from DC, Ben Queen is writer and exec producer, along with Michael Patrick Jann who is also director of the pilot.

But Teen Titans is a no-go at TNT.

• Love 1

I hope it is more in line with the better parts of Sleepy Hollow than the lazy label of 'romance', which tends to equal "soap opera" ( like that's bad) to lots of guys. ( It also turns of gals too, but Freeform may think the Marvel brand could pull more of a family/ appointment watch?)

I liked Cloak and Dagger/ Tandy and Tyrone, so it could be a really good series, since weekly installments would give the story/-ies time to breathe.

Krypton gets a pilot. Yes, really. Between Smallville and Gotham, DC seem into their prequel TV series. I don't really see the appeal. But I wonder if it'll be as crazy and OTT as the Krypton we saw in Man of Steel, or they'll dial it back a bit.

• Love 1

Yes, I know. But why this, instead of going for another B-list hero? I'm not really into DC, but I get that Green Lantern is still poison, Aquaman is taken by the movies, but there has to be someone else good they could use. Or is it a case of the B-listers being taken by Berlanti and friends?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Joe said:

Yes, I know. But why this, instead of going for another B-list hero? I'm not really into DC, but I get that Green Lantern is still poison, Aquaman is taken by the movies, but there has to be someone else good they could use. Or is it a case of the B-listers being taken by Berlanti and friends?

DC has literally hundreds of B listers. Even if we limit ourselves to characters who have had their own books, it's a lot.

It's for Sy-Fy though, so I can see the notion that they can't just crank out another action-adventure take.  It's likely to be REALLY lame because it's getting a go ahead and it's being done by many of the same assholes responsible for bringing us Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. That's the crime. Say what negatives you'll say about Berlanti and his gang, at least they're more likely to be well grounded than anything from the Snyder/Goyer collective of morons. Even if it's more Goyer than Synder this time, Goyer for all that he's written a few good things in his lifetime, clearly doesn't know jack shit about Superman.

Fitting the Sy-Fy environment, I could see a few decent ideas. In theory if he hadn't been taken by that time traveling show, they could have done a different, Science Heavy take on The Atom. The ORIGINAL idea behind Ray Palmer wasn't this stupid CEO one, but a college professor, so you even have a new setting--the fictional Ivy Town and Ivy University where Palmer taught. Or they rebooted Atom in the comics with another professor, Ryan Choi and Ivy Town was even more tied up in the stories. Atom also had a lot of weird sci-fi premises, like microscopic worlds that Atom visited.

Lets see... Doom Patrol. I'd love to see an attempt at that in a TV show. Doom Patrol is infamous, because it's what the X-Men actually arguably copied from. Except... even stranger. If you think the X-Men has a lot of gray areas, Doom Patrol has even more--especially in later reboots when Grant Morrison and got a hold of it. To say Morrison planted seeds that could produce a good, purposefully weird current take?  Understatement.  WB apparently optioned a script for a Doom Patrol movie a few years ago, but nothing ever came of it. Really it would only work in a longer format--a series.

They actually tried to make a Blue Beetle a few years ago, but the limit there was I think how silly the CGI had to look for a big blue character in an armored suit. But if the CGI has improved, I suppose that could have been tried again. But outside of the suit, it's really more of a CW type project, since the best version of the character was a teenager. 

There's often been talk about doing a live action Teen Titans. Huge project though (and like Supergirl, it would have to be worked "around" not showing their more famous mentors on screen). And... I see that TNT had the option on it and gave up. Not surprised. It would be a real pain in the ass to make. If Supergirl was a MUCH bigger hit they might have tried, but with that barely hanging on I'm not surprised they don't want to try something as complicated to implement as Teen Titans.

If Constantine hadn't already existed (and failed ratings-wise at least) as a TV show, then I'd say other characters, like The Question, The Phantom Stranger, The Spectre, etc. might have had some juice in them for adaptations.

Cloak and Dagger might have been on my list too... but I see they're actually going to be doing that, for real.

Anyway, of that whole list?  Doom Patrol. It's the one with the crazy potential IMO. Mostly because so few people know it and you could invent a lot, but also have a shit ton of geek cred (especially because of the Grant Morrison connection--something not many other properties could claim in the same way).

Edited by Kromm

Amethyst could be fun, if done right. It's original run was very much a lighter GoT/ medieval knights-and-magic, but its cast was primarily female ( and had a talking Pegasus, iirc.) Apparently, the subsequent runs have gotten a bit darker, but Big Questions have been asked in addition to the action and relationships. The cool thing is that Amy ( her Earth self) doesn't have to be a blonde white girl, and I say that as a fan of the original run. All that is needed is an American teenage girl.

I think it's time to move past the horrible movie and give Barb Wire a chance at TV. Yes, she's not DC, but the character fits into many of the current nets' boxes that she'd be at home on amc as well as Starz or HBO.

Isis also could be rebooted. If they are looking at Shazam for the big screen, go deeper with Isis on TV.

I also think Jade could be an interesting subject of a dramedy with the cool addition of intergalactic fight action here and there. Or a sitcom centered on Fire and Ice, of the 80s version of the Justice League. Tone down some of the OTT-ness, highlight the ladies' friendship, and explore how two superheroines deal with the world when they aren't saving it from various bad-intentioned folks. 

On 5/10/2016 at 11:43 PM, Joe said:

Krypton gets a pilot. Yes, really. Between Smallville and Gotham, DC seem into their prequel TV series. I don't really see the appeal. But I wonder if it'll be as crazy and OTT as the Krypton we saw in Man of Steel, or they'll dial it back a bit.

You know..., has there been any other TV show set on an alien world, not connected to Earth or humans? I can't come up with one right now. Everything at least has humans in the main cast. Just wondering how unique this premise might be.

• Love 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Trini said:

You know..., has there been any other TV show set on an alien world, not connected to Earth or humans? I can't come up with one right now. Everything at least has humans in the main cast. Just wondering how unique this premise might be.

Lets do both TV and movies for this. Gives us more to play with.

Battlestar Galactica, arguably, if you go with the theory that they're not humans but a parallel race--both Earthlings and them being descended from the same source but separate.So they'd be cousins, but not us.

Dune, maybe. What I don't recall (so long since I saw it or even tried reading the books) is if Earth exists in that universe or not.  

EDIT - Nope. I just looked it up. Earth DOES exist in Dune as a dead planet.  So strike this one.

Star Wars, perhaps? I mean I'm trying to recall if we ever hear the term "human" or not. So that's a maybe.  At the very least there's no concept of Earth (unlike Battlestar Galactica). If this is so--that they're not called "humans" exactly, then this even counts towards TV thanks to "Star Wars Rebels".

EDIT 2 - Okay real judgment call on Star Wars/SW: Rebels. Why? I found a few sources and they all agree that apparently they DO call them Humans in the movies and show, but they define humans as "natives or descendants of the planet Coruscant". What I think is going on here is that it's just a convention that since they aren't really speaking English, we're just hearing the translated species name. So... they're not really us, ergo IMO any fruit off the Star Wars tree are not the same species as us.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Dune, maybe. What I don't recall (so long since I saw it or even tried reading the books) is if Earth exists in that universe or not.  

EDIT - Nope. I just looked it up. Earth DOES exist in Dune as a dead planet.  So strike this one.

Yeah, the Fremen are specifically mentioned as having come from Earth in the distant past.

7 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Well.  This is certainly not the Archie comics we all know and love.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-in-gods-name-is-going-on-in-this-riverdale-synopsi-1777821851

I wasn't totally against the overall notion of a serious version of Archie, but there are a few too many eyerollers in that synopsis. Leading with a murder? Ms. Grundy being not only young, but banging boots with Archie? Cheryl Blossom being a mean girl? (okay, I suppose if they won't allow Veronica that role, someone has to be... but...) And I'm even a bit unsure of Josie & The Pussycats being so tightly bound in. I mean I liked that idea initially, but am having my doubts now after seeing the rest of this. 

Greg Berlanti working on another DC comic book show:

In a pairing that resembles a superhero team-up, I have learned that Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, has partnered with The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil for Black Lightning, a drama series based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden. I hear the project, from Warner Bros TV and studio-based Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions, is currently being pitched to networks.

... Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/black-lightning-dc-superhero-series-greg-berlanti-mara-brock-akil-salim-akil-1201811892/

• Love 1

Cant wait for Black Lighting, I know some are worried about saturation but I feel Comic/superhero has become a genre in its own right, so they can never be too many shows. They are plenty of cop, doctor, lawyer shows, comedies, soaps etc, there is something for everyone.

Which network do you guys want to see this show on? 

And the trailer for Cloak and Dagger:

"Marvel's Cloak & Dagger" is the story of Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph) - two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers which are mysteriously linked to one another. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

The network has ordered 10 one-hour episodes slated to debut early 2018.