Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/29/2024

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'd like Joy to stop the "I dated (insert historical figure here)."  It's gotten quite stale.  Get some new material, Joy.

True. Used sparingly, it is amusing; used constantly, it is annoying. Same goes for Whoopi's "Deja vu audience" schtick. It is a little in-joke for the audience, so why she says it so often on camera is a mystery to me, because the TV audience isn't even part of that little joke, and it isn't funny. 

While we're asking for the impossible, it would be nice for Sunny to stop reminding everyone that she's Catholic although she won't judge anyone else for things they do that she won't, or at least as it pertains to abortion - I'm pretty sure that she will judge other people for their sins in other areas.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I hope there's time tomorrow for the ladies to give a big congratulations to Katie Ledecky, who is now the female swimmer with the most medals ever in Olympic history. To compare, this is not as many as Michael Phelps, but more than Mark Spitz, who, I think, are the highest medalists in swimming. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I hope there's time tomorrow for the ladies to give a big congratulations to Katie Ledecky, who is now the female swimmer with the most medals ever in Olympic history.

Yes, and going even further, I wish they would have a daily mention of all American Olympians who won medals the day before.  And if it's too many to name, at least put a graphic up to show their names.  Of course, maybe they didn't do that because tomorrow's the last show of the season and the Olympics continue until August 11, but at least they could have named the ones who have already won.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

She should use the term a friend of mine uses:  Mango Mussolini

Careful, because if Ana reads this, she might steal your friend's joke!

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Yes, and going even further, I wish they would have a daily mention of all American Olympians who won medals the day before.  And if it's too many to name, at least put a graphic up to show their names.

This is a great idea for an NBC show.

• Like 7

You might have heard this one already.

Joy repeats jokes cuz comedians do the same show numerous times in different venues, cities, on talk shows, etc., it's usually a sure laugh, plus they have memorized and repeated their schnick so often,  it's like muscle memory to say it again. A catch phrase, if you will. 

Celebrities, politicians, teachers, anyone speaking often in public, etc....also repeat anecdotes on different talk shows,  different venues or groups.

Chances are,  it's new to someone out there. A go-to filler. A reliable old chestnut. Low bar maybe. Lazy. Or their gold standard to get a reaction v. silence.

But then we also re-watch shows as comfort viewing cuz we enjoy them. 

Sure, conscientious, longtime viewers can roll their eyes, sigh exasperated, and complain. But listen to the audience response.  

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
21 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sununu is a hypocrite and a putz.

He's the worst kind because the tone of his voice is so....reasonable and not unhinged. More dangerous, those types. I wish Sunny would have at least paused to see what, if anything, he would have to say about the corporations' price gouging. But once again, all that talking over.

But he's still a hypocrite of the worst order.

17 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

She should use the term a friend of mine uses:  Mango Mussolini

As someone who loves Mangoes, I resent the use of one of my favorite fruits used in such a manner!😝

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He's the worst kind because the tone of his voice is so....reasonable and not unhinged. More dangerous, those types

This.  When I would hear people say he was "moderate" I thought sure Jan.  And here we are with him supporting Trump. 

5 hours ago, Mollywolly555 said:

Sure, conscientious, longtime viewers can roll their eyes, sigh exasperated, and complain. But listen to the audience response.  

The studio audience is primed to respond positively to the co hosts jokes. The only co host I remember the audience audibly reacting negatively to was Meghan. And she sure didn't like that.

19 hours ago, KittyQ said:

While we're asking for the impossible, it would be nice for Sunny to stop reminding everyone that she's Catholic

I can live with that as long as it's relevant to the conversation.  It was Elisabeth who drove me crazy with prefacing every statement with "As a Christian". Elisabeth what flavor of ice cream do you like?  "As a Christian...."

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
38 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I can live with that as long as it's relevant to the conversation.  It was Elisabeth who drove me crazy with prefacing every statement with "As a Christian". Elisabeth what flavor of ice cream do you like?  "As a Christian...."

Vanilla of course. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Part of the show was not shown in favor of a Special Report, so maybe I missed something that was clear and succinct, but the discussion about whether a VP candidate makes a difference seemed to go all over the place from "No, people don't choose based on the VP" to "Yes, a VP candidate can be important because they a) are terrific and popular or b) are annoying and unpopular". I think in general the VP choice doesn't matter to a lot of people, although a candidate who is problematic can sway the voter a bit. 

Menopause conversation - I was sorry they brushed past the low libido effect. First, they said that women post-fertility still are sexual, and then Joy made a joke, but there was no real explanation or recommendation for women who don't feel still sexual due to low libido (or possibly all those physical changes). 

On 7/31/2024 at 2:22 PM, Snapdragon said:

Back in high school, I knew several people who took the ASVAB just to get out of class for the day.  LOL.  

🙋‍♀️

26 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Part of the show was not shown in favor of a Special Report, so maybe I missed something that was clear and succinct,

Good luck hoping to hear something clear and succinct!  😉

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

So true! Unless "as a Christian", you have strict rules like what you can or can't eat, wear or not wear, etc. there's no reason for mentioning your faith for every single thing. I can't think of any denominations, other than the strict fundamentalist ones that have that rules that are so granular.

Granted there are non-Christian religions that have lots of restrictions, but for some reason, you don't hear their members on TV saying, "Well, as a <fill in the blank>..."

4 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I think in general the VP choice doesn't matter to a lot of people

I’m gonna be like Joy in referencing things from over 30 years ago, but do you remember Ross Perot? I had a good friend that absolutely loved him and after she saw admiral Stockdale in the vice presidential debate she joined me in voting for Bill Clinton! Lol…

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
45 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

I’m gonna be like Joy in referencing things from over 30 years ago, but do you remember Ross Perot? I had a good friend that absolutely loved him and after she saw admiral Stockdale in the vice presidential debate she joined me in voting for Bill Clinton! Lol…

Like most generalities, there are exceptions. :-) I also remember Admiral Stockdale. I think he had a hearing problem and seemed to have an acerbic personality, too. Too bad for them.  Sarah Palin was another VP candidate in recent years that didn't do the ticket any favors the more she was in public. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The studio audience is primed to respond positively to the co hosts jokes. The only co host I remember the audience audibly reacting negatively to was Meghan. And she sure didn't like that.

This. And I wonder if The View has a audience coordinator/hype-person. I've seen those in several shows where they signal the audience to clap or cheer.

Perhaps someone here who has attended the show live can confirm.

• Like 3

There was someone here who attended a taping a couple of times. I know from when I saw live tapings of talk shows they would often have someone open… plus I hear they keep the studios  cold.   I saw Leno and Ellen shows live and and we were not encouraged to clap. Only request since Ellen was new it was  that we were not to grab  or touch her while she danced in the aisles and in the audience. It’s exciting to be in an audience and have that experience  . 

38 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I hear they keep the studios  cold

I can verify that. Years ago, I saw a taping of Frasier live, but I didn’t enjoy myself because it was SO cold!

17 hours ago, KittyQ said:

think in general the VP choice doesn't matter to a lot of people, although a candidate who is problematic can sway the voter a bit.

A problematic VP choice?  John McCain would agree. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1