Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I don’t know a thing about this sport, but thoroughly enjoyed the gold medal match. Made me tear up during the anthems and cheer along throughout, too. How are the players not one big head-to-toe bruise?

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was today years old when I learned that watching Rugby Sevens is a highly enjoyable experience! Any team sport that is over in 14+ minutes I will give a chance, and I'm so glad I did with this! I watched the gold medal match and while I was really sad for Fiji losing because they've never lost a gold medal in this yet, I'm happy for France since it's such a huge deal there. Very exciting, and I liked that they can pretty much do whatever they want, and just because your man is tackled doesn't mean the ball is out of play. Excellent sport!

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 3

I watched rhe men's gold medal match again and feom what I can tell, there are no rules here and anything goes! I want to learn more about this crazy sport!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

I watched rhe men's gold medal match again and feom what I can tell, there are no rules here and anything goes! I want to learn more about this crazy sport!

basically don't die. and it's all good. lol

• LOL 6

Rugby is played with 15 people on each side usually but this is rugby 7s with 7 on each side but the same size pitch. Basically you must not pass forwards but you can kick the ball forward and run onto it. The biggest difference is that being the full size pitch there is a lot of room & a lot of running. 

My father was a rugby player & then referee when I was a youngster (a long time ago) and I remember some of the rules from going to matches with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 4

Since the gold medal match was my introduction, I spent yesterday watching the full replay of the quarter and semi finals, too. Rugby Sevens has become my new, unexpected obsession for the summer games like curling is for the winter. It’s fascinating. And brutal. I’m hooked (and annoyed that this version and regular rugby aren’t more well-known in the US).

• Applause 3

WOW! Canada scores first over France! Let's GO CANADA Let's goo!  And then i go get a clementine and France has 14 points. that literally escalated quickly. but they got another try!! wooo!!!

I will say this. Hockey has nothing on Rugby 7s 
CANADA TAKES THE LEAD!! HOLY CRAP. 

they eliminated France! what an upset!!
poor France. sobs on both sides. 

• Like 1

So mad that I missed the Men's games! I had no idea that they started two days early! Also, one reason I subscribed to Peacock was so I could watch replays of the sports I missed! Well, come to find out that that isn't happening for most sports, just game highlights!

I HATE NBC!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Coraline Jones said:

So mad that I missed the Men's games! I had no idea that they started two days early! Also, one reason I subscribed to Peacock was so I could watch replays of the sports I missed! Well, come to find out that that isn't happening for most sports, just game highlights!

The replays for the men's rugby competition are showing up for me in the Peacock app (for Android devices) and on the website if you go to All Sports -> Rugby.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Coraline Jones said:

I HATE NBC!

I also hate NBC, but I’m happy to report that the replays are avail thru Peacock. It just takes some hunting. I got there by clicking the Paris 2024 logo under “Featured Brands” on the home page. Then did a browse by sport (you have to click further into “All Sports” to find Rugby). Then the Men’s replays are at the bottom of the page. It’s the world feed. 

(Thank you for the help in the swimming thread!)

3 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

The replays for the men's rugby competition are showing up for me in the Peacock app (for Android devices) and on the website if you go to All Sports -> Rugby.

Thanks. They weren't showing up a couple of days ago. Hopefully, it's also available on the streaming channel, I prefer to watch things on a bigger screen.

11 minutes ago, crystalball said:

I also hate NBC, but I’m happy to report that the replays are avail thru Peacock. It just takes some hunting. I got there by clicking the Paris 2024 logo under “Featured Brands” on the home page. Then did a browse by sport (you have to click further into “All Sports” to find Rugby). Then the Men’s replays are at the bottom of the page. It’s the world feed. 

(Thank you for the help in the swimming thread!)

You are welcome. It took me a while to figure it out.

(edited)
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't dislike France, but I was hoping Fiji would win.

Yeah, I'm with you, I was heartbroken for Fiji given this is their national obsession and they are such a small nation with smaller chances at medals, but hey, it gives them a fire to come back next time and win gold. And they still go home with a silver medal.

BTW, I just looked up the rules online and I stil cannot understand how the hell to play this game?!?

Edited by surfgirl
20 hours ago, crystalball said:

Since the gold medal match was my introduction, I spent yesterday watching the full replay of the quarter and semi finals, too. Rugby Sevens has become my new, unexpected obsession for the summer games like curling is for the winter. It’s fascinating. And brutal. I’m hooked (and annoyed that this version and regular rugby aren’t more well-known in the US).

Regular rugby is never going to get much traction in a country that is already football crazy. It's too similar. Sevens is pretty unique and extracts the most exciting parts of regular rugby but may be a hard sell too unless you're coming from a rugby background.

My problem with sevens is that the matches are so short it's almost jarring to watch. Where regular rugby is 80 minutes, soccer is 90 minutes and American football is 60 minutes, a sevens match seems like just a warm up for the main event. 

19 minutes ago, Rickster said:

My problem with sevens is that the matches are so short it's almost jarring to watch. Where regular rugby is 80 minutes, soccer is 90 minutes and American football is 60 minutes, a sevens match seems like just a warm up for the main event. 

Case in point I was going to go watch the Canada/Australia match. 
I go to the bathroom, help my mom with her meds, and went oh okay i have time. and the game is over. Like what?! Hockey has time outs longer than that lmao

but i still enjoy it!
and Canada beat Australia holy crap

• LOL 7

Okay Canada vs. New Zealand. My birth country vs my dream country. 
Black Ferns vs. Les Rouges. LET'S GET READY TO RUGBBYYYYY

okay this is the third time i've seen a girl try to legit pull down another girls pants. lol that's just so amusing to me. 1st try to NZ.

man NZ is no joke.
Canada is looking a bit sloppy

TRY CANADA!!
WOW. NZ made a huge mistake, and CANADA WITH A TRY!! (but it;s under review) IT COUNTS!! they missed the convert!
IT'S TIED AGAIN  (and convert from NZ is good. its a 2 goal lead!)
TRY NZ.. i think Canada is in trouble

NZ defends, and Canada wins silver. you know what. good job. Les Rouges. that was great

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Bronze for the US women..how exciting.

Kind of an understatement for anyone who follows the sport.  The end was the equivalent of a football team scoring a 99 yard touchdown with time expiring, and then kicking the extra point to win it.  Bonus points for it being their first medal ever.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
14 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

I used to enjoy this but it's getting over done this Olympics. IMO, natch.

I love it; it showcases the pride that New Zealanders have in their unique culture and is a beautiful reminder of their indigenous people.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1