Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

Hottie flag bearer didn't make the team this year. I haz sadz. 😢

That's just rude, they should have thought about us!

It's nice to see the surfers.

• LOL 9

I’m surprised the Seine isn’t more lit. I was expecting all the buildings along the banks to be decked out. It’s so dark. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Not really an answer but I'm sat here thinking "this is all very French", meaning nobody has any idea WTF is happening.

Same here!  I did like Lady Gaga's routine and I am intrigued by the mystery torch carrier, but the whole thing is very "French", in other words, I am confused by a lot of it :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

They couldn’t have given Mike Tirico a sheet with the name of the vocalist and the pianist performing “Imagine”?  He was like “uhh this is ‘Imagine’ on the Seine with fire.  Enjoy!”

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)

Since I'm not really listening (how unusual...) and don't know if they said this on the TV, the NYT says that's Joan of Arc on the horse.  

So far, the best part of the whole thing.

Edited by ebk57
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Okay. that Olympic Montage. the Barcelona Archer. Mohammed Ali. Cathy Freeman. It's here. my heart is racing. 

Olympics are here. 
Let's Do This. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2
(edited)

All of the masked/hooded people remind me too much of the Death Eaters from Harry Potter.  Takes me right out of the moment

Is this the part where the Olympic flag is usually brought in by past Olympians, or is that later?

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Like 2

Somehow Tirico seems very unprepared to be commenting on this. Manning has barely said more than a couple of sentences for the past three hours. Maybe they’ll tighten it up for the evening summary when they can do voiceover after the fact?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

The only thing I didn’t like about the flag raising was how long they made her walk after riding the horse through the water and then on land, and then a half mile walk?  No sir.

Maybe since they said the performers didn’t rehearse, Mike, Peyton and Kelly weren’t able to do any prep and are just making noises on the fly.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The only thing I didn’t like about the flag raising was how long they made her walk after riding the horse through the water and then on land, and then a half mile walk?  No sir.

😄

3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Maybe since they said the performers didn’t rehearse, Mike, Peyton and Kelly weren’t able to do any prep and are just making noises on the fly.

That's very kind of you... because why would they have basic advance info for something that's been in the works for years. 😉

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 4
7 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Barcelona is still the one to beat…

Forever #1.
Sydney's Waterfall one is #2 (For me)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
Just now, NUguy514 said:

Get fucked, Thomas Bach, but I will cry when you declare the Games open.

why do we hate him?

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

What happens to the people who don’t speak French or English?  Do they just not understand these speeches?

Google translate! 😁

• LOL 4

I didn't realize that NBC was airing this live so I watched a bit of the parade down the Seine and decided to wait and watch the whole thing tonight when it airs. In the meantime, my immediate thoughts in no particular order are:

* What the actual fuck is Kelly Clarkson and Peyton Manning doing with Al Roker? There are scores of former American Olympians who could have been tapped to co-host with him and who have actual sporting knowledge firsthand! I don't give a shit what either of these two think about anything Olympic related.

* I also DGAF about Snoop being at the Games. Why the hell is he even there let alone being given the task of a torch bearer? Why aren't all the torch bearers athletes? This makes no sense other than to suck up to celebs. I also don't care what Snoop or whatshisname have to say about sports. It's like asking Paris Hilton to give her thoughts on sports, who cares?

* I LOVE the idea of the boats on the Seine, the parade of nations is so tired these days and the commentators just talk over them anyway so doing something unique looks good to me.

* I don't understand why Celine Dion and Gaga are entertainment. As others have said, it seems to me that the French should put highlight their national entertainment treasures. You don't need to be a worldwide phenom to be worthy of being called upon to entertain when your country is hosting the Games, at least not IMO.

• Like 7
(edited)

Some of the athletes look bored.  Someone should run the speeches like the Emmy Awards, 2 minutes and you get your mic shut off, and the orchestra drowns you out. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, surfgirl said:

* I also DGAF about Snoop being at the Games. Why the hell is he even there let alone being given the task of a torch bearer? Why aren't all the torch bearers athletes? This makes no sense other than to suck up to celebs. I also don't care what Snoop or whatshisname have to say about sports. It's like asking Paris Hilton to give her thoughts on sports, who cares?

He funds the Fencing team.

• Useful 16

Okay I am gonna just say this.  I get it. you want to be inclusive and open and celebrate everyone. but you are telling me for your Lightning Ceremony you couldn't find several FRENCH athletes?

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

Ok.  Paris is gorgeous.  I’ve had fun.  But my husband is champing at the bit to go to dinner so can we GET ON WITH THIS ALREADY.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)

So does France have no legendary Olympians?  Being inclusive is great, but the final legs of the torch relay should really be done with your country's best.

Also, is it just me or is the audio kind of spotty at times?

Edited by baldryanr
  • Applause 6
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Okay I am gonna just say this.  I get it. you want to be inclusive and open and celebrate everyone. but you are telling me for your Lightning Ceremony you couldn't find several FRENCH athletes?

Maybe when they get wherever they are going Zinadine will have Uber’d over and will be waiting.

Like, some of these athletes have to compete tomorrow!  They need their sleep!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m lot saying I disagree with anything you said but it’s Mike Tirico, heh.

I thought this morning I saw Roker with them? Annnnyway, Mike Tirico is no Bob Costas and that's all I'm gonna say about that!

I do love Mary Carillo's usual local flavor stories but she's commentating tennis this Games so I am sad we probably wont get her weird stories coming in. Ditto Cris Collinsworth, who also used to do a lot of the local flavor stories, I love him at the Games,he always seems slightly buzzed!

• Like 1
Just now, baldryanr said:

So does France have no legendary Olympians?  Being inclusive is great, but the final legs of the torch relay should really be done with your country's best.

that's what I'm saying. 
I could sort of see Rafa. sorta. He adores Paris and he won French Open a record 14 times. (Serena was only twice). but like no one on that boat is French. Like. what's up with that?)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

He funds the Fencing team.

I didn't know that, but still, funding a team does not make you a commentator on all things Olympics.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1