Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Just now, Chaser said:

I’m sorry, are there heads floating in the water?!

It wouldn't be the first time. Probably the head of whoever came up with this.

• Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
Just now, Chaser said:

I’m sorry, are there heads floating in the water?!

yeup! why? who knows. CBC is talking about their vacation history LOL

Where is Australia?

• Like 1

Going away from the boats to show Team USA bits isn’t sitting well with me.  Like, I get that this is airing here in the good ol’ US of A, but it’s the opening ceremony.  Focus on the other countries JUST THIS ONCE.

And when they go split screen the chyron doesn’t show the number in the delegation or the flag bearer names, which is annoying.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

yeup! why? who knows. CBC is talking about their vacation history LOL

Where is Australia?

Down by the south pole somewhere.

• LOL 7
5 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Is the masked torch bearer some famous French character that I know nothing about?  (From a book/play/opera/painting/movie?)

If you add video game to the list of options, Assassin's Creed😄 I'm really enjoying the whole parkour thing.

I loved the Les Mis/Metal/Carmen segment. It was fabulous!

• Like 7
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

If you add video game to the list of options, Assassin's Creed😄 I'm really enjoying the whole parkour thing.

I loved the Les Mis/Metal/Carmen segment. It was fabulous!

Someone from the French Revolution I would think. 

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Going away from the boats to show Team USA bits isn’t sitting well with me.  Like, I get that this is airing here in the good ol’ US of A, but it’s the opening ceremony.  Focus on the other countries JUST THIS ONCE.

And when they go split screen the chyron doesn’t show the number in the delegation or the flag bearer names, which is annoying.

Yes, this.

• Like 5
Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

Oh good, I'm not the only one who missed Australia. Pretty sure it's with an A in French as well.

I wonder if Australia will go third to last since Brisbane is hosting the 2032 Summer Games?  Maybe the last three will be Australia, USA, and France?

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
Just now, NUguy514 said:

I wonder if Australia will go third to last since Brisbane is hosting the 2032 Summer Games?  Maybe the last three will be Australia, USA, and France?

Yep

Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

Oh good, I'm not the only one who missed Australia. Pretty sure it's with an A in French as well.

Ah! found it!
Australia is going to be before America (Because they are hosting in 2032)
that one is new for me. I didn't realise they'd go so late. being a host AFTER the other hosts.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Ah! found it!
Australia is going to be before America (Because they are hosting in 2032)
that one is new for me. I didn't realise they'd go so late. being a host AFTER the other hosts.

I only ever remember the Z's and then the host.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Chaser said:
6 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Yep

I think that would be unprecedented since hosts have historically been announced seven years prior to hosting, but Brisbane got them three years ago. 

Uh, I was promised by Peacock that this would be ad-free, yet I'm staring at a commercial for the fucking Kansas City Chiefs.😡

I LOVE Haiti's and India's outfits.

Edited by NUguy514
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Someone from the French Revolution I would think. 

I was joking, but Assassin's Creed: Unity is set during the French Revolution and parkour is featured heavily. 😉

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:

Uh, I was promised by Peacock that this would be ad-free, yet I'm staring at a commercial for the fucking Kansas City Chiefs.😡

Commercial-free for the first hour. After that, it's back to ye olde capitalism.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Commercial-free for the first hour. After that, it's back to ye olde capitalism.

spacer.png

Edited by NUguy514
  • Like 5
  • Wink 1
4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Is anyone else seeing minions right now?

Thank God it's not just me.

The way this ceremony is going, I was thinking someone tossed a bit of acid in my drink.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

I know TV hosts have been criticized in the past for talking too much, but I would appreciate a bit more info on who is performing, what they're singing and why.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Just how close did we come to seeing a ménage a trois on free teevee?

Not close enough.☹️

Mongolia's outfits are amazing, and I love Mozambique's jackets!

USA's outfits are ruined by those ugly-ass jeans.

• Like 7

I'm enjoying these opening ceremonies very much, but while it's wonderful to showcase the Seine, the bridges and the landmarks of Paris, this works best for the television audience. Anyone attending in person only gets to see the part of the ceremonies closest to them. If they want to see everything that occurred, they'll have to watch the replay. It's certainly an oddity.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

I'm enjoying these opening ceremonies very much, but while it's wonderful to showcase the Seine, the bridges and the landmarks of Paris, this works best for the television audience. Anyone attending in person only gets to see the part of the ceremonies closest to them. If they want to see everything that occurred, they'll have to watch the replay. It's certainly an oddity.

I was thinking something similar. Which is why I think it’s missing the mark for me personally. I love the idea of everyone experiencing this one moment together and this is so sectioned. It feels less “Olympic”. If that makes any sense. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

It feels less “Olympic”. If that makes any sense. 

it just feels like an event. not the Olympics.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I know fashion's big in Paris, but still having a fashionshow in the rain on a bridge looks kind of odd.    

I actually recognized about  20 flags.   And the hottie flagbearer (unfortunately, apparently only present in those spectacular pictures of him.  He'll truly be missed).   

LeBron's always been serious.   Coco looks so happy to be the flagbearer with LeBron.   I loved the boat pilots taking photos with LeBron. 

I love the Coca-Cola world comes together ad. 

I'm so confused about the dancing masked torch bearer.  

Surfing is happening in French Polynesia, how cool! I didn't know about that. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I'm talking to my good friend (who lives in Paris) and apparently a lot of people weren't happy about the decisions here. (I mean pinch of salt etc, I still remember people not happy how Vancouver did the Olympics) but he was like a BIG thing for Parisians was the focus on the Seine was a choice (he's like it never even looks like that colour lol)

Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

I actually recognized about 10 flags.   And the hottie flagbearer.   

aww phooey i missed him?

• Like 2