Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Queen's Gambit

• Start Topic

Two Challenge queens seize the opportunity to go after a knight fiercely defending their star. One All-Star confides in an old rival as relationship woes threaten to take over their game. An explosive nominations sends shockwaves through the house.

Air date: May 22, 2024 on Paramount+

Laurel and Nicole are ruining this season. There are some unlikable Challenge people who are at least somewhat entertaining. Those two are anything but. They are just grating and toxic. I have started forwarding through any scene with just the two of them.

Laurel has often been a mean girl and bully, but now she has completely lost her mind. She confides in Cara, Cara comforts her and gives her good advice and then Laurel turns vitriolic on Cara. I don't know if Nicole's hatred for Cara is because she sees her for who she is or just that she rejected her advances on a previous season.

I've always like Kam, but she has lost me this season. Her entitlement is out of control. I don't care about her taking Cara's star. It was the smart thing to do. However, her fake reasoning is just nonsense. It's weird that almost the whole house just went along with it.

The challenge wasn't every interesting to start with and it was even less interesting since the outcome was almost predetermined.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

What is the majority of the house’s issue with Cara Maria? When did she spread false information about Kam and Leroy, or play any more selfishly than the others? If it’s a matter of her being one of the biggest threats in the house, why not just say that (though I think Laurel and Kam have said that, to their credit)?

I’m so tired of Nicole. Laurel at least has some entertainment value, is a pretty interesting and complex person to watch, and is an all around solid competitor.

Jay’s confessional about Avery wanting redemption puzzles me. What does she need redemption from?

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 5
(edited)

I love Kam's plotting to steal Cara's star. I hate that other people aren't plotting and acting like they don't need stars if they want to have a chance at winning. I want everyone plotting!!! Why is Kam the only one plotting???????

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit. Maybe they don't really care about going to the final and winning. Maybe they just came for a good time.

There's a lot of Kam in the first half of the episode, which made me think she was going home.

Cara cracked me up in this episode. Loved it! It was great.

I tend to lean toward minding my own business, but I'm not mad at Cara for telling Nicole off about her effect on Laurel.

Laurel and Nicole, toxic combination. I also agree with Cara that Laurel is not playing much of a game this season which is unlike her.

I loved that nomination though. This Paramount+ uncensored shit is amazing! I went back a few times just to hear Laurel say "I don't wanna fuckin hear it" and "Kam and Tina bitch!" 😂

Cara telling Nicole that needs subtitles is HILARIOUS!!! 😂😂😂

Also, one thing I've noticed is that people have been wearing smart watches. Have they started letting them have devices in the Challenge house? 🤔

I liked the daily challenge and elimination. This elimination would be on the flagship. I think Kam could have beaten Cara in this elimination. I appreciated Kam stating that she would face Cara in an elimination if she needed to.

Kam wins the elimination and takes Cara's star. Now, I need some some get-back. I need Cara to try to get her star back... and from anyone, including Nicole if she wanted. I need someone's hopes dashed.

16 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

What is the majority of the house’s issue with Cara Maria?

From my view, it seems like she’s not really working with anyone in particular so it’s easy to plot against her if it becomes necessary. No one seems to feel any allegiance to Cara.

When it comes to protecting her star, she seems to be willing to sacrifice anyone, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It just makes the politics more difficult for her. There’s no one that is off limits to her or that she’s playing the game with. Jay says he’s playing with Cara but what exactly has Cara done to help Jay in the game? Jay has voted with Cara when he had the chance to give her that, but has that been returned? Not really. Outside of that, Jay is fickle. He was bound to break even if Cara was helping him.

Also, Flora thinks Cara is a crybaby. 😂 On a personal level, I’m not sure if Cara is rubbing people the wrong way. If she is, they aren’t showing it.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Laurel is the type of friend that asks for advice but just wants sunshine blown up her butt. As soon as you tell her the truth she runs back to your other friends and talks crap about you behind your back. Knowing the things that happened with Nicole after this season she has got to be so embarrassed about her behavior.

I too am confused about Cara telling lies behind Kam and Leroy's back. Good for Kam getting that star let's see if Cara can get it back. I'd actually die laughing if Cara went down and won and then took Nicole's star and let Kam keep hers. 

2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Also, Flora thinks Cara is a crybaby. 😂 On a personal level, I’m not sure if Cara is rubbing people the wrong way. If she is, they aren’t showing it.

So apparently during the time that would have been last episode Flora caught Cara and Tina talking some crap about her and it led to a big fight that wasn't shown. Flora has been in an all out social media fight against Cara and even more so Tina. She did say she adored Nicole though which makes me want to disregard her opinion entirely. 

• Like 6
(edited)

I've not even watched the entire episode and I already hate Laurel.  She is psychotic.  "Look around see who the problem is."  Yeah, Laurel, you do that.  The call is coming from inside the house, Laurel. 

She's a mess and Nicole is using that.  Horrible pairing.

ETA:  Now that I've seen the rest of the episode, Avery is an idiot also.  She could have easily beaten Tina and foiled the whole plan and gotten her star back.  Dumb.

Edited by bunnyface
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Knowing the things that happened with Nicole after this season she has got to be so embarrassed about her behavior.

So...what happened?  I know it was a train wreck, whatever it was.  I don't closely follow social media.  I do know (or thought I knew) that Nicole has been in another relationship for a while now.  

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

So...what happened?  I know it was a train wreck, whatever it was.  I don't closely follow social media.  I do know (or thought I knew) that Nicole has been in another relationship for a while now.  

Nicole told Laurel she wanted to have another go and be exclusive. Less than a month later Laurel takes Nicole as her plus one to Jakk's (From Ride or Dies) wedding and Nicole proceeded to have sex with the best man's sister who was married to a man and had kids. Broke up that family and caused a lot of terrible drama in general. I think those two are still seeing each other. Laurel has been nuclear against Nicole on social since then. 

• Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, WInterfalls said:

Nicole told Laurel she wanted to have another go and be exclusive. Less than a month later Laurel takes Nicole as her plus one to Jakk's (From Ride or Dies) wedding and Nicole proceeded to have sex with the best man's sister who was married to a man and had kids. Broke up that family and caused a lot of terrible drama in general. I think those two are still seeing each other. Laurel has been nuclear against Nicole on social since then. 

Damn.

3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

ETA:  Now that I've seen the rest of the episode, Avery is an idiot also.  She could have easily beaten Tina and foiled the whole plan and gotten her star back.  Dumb.

Nobody wanted to go against the grain. I hate that.

3 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

I'd actually die laughing if Cara went down and won and then took Nicole's star and let Kam keep hers. 

Same! I would love that!

8 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Jay’s confessional about Avery wanting redemption puzzles me. What does she need redemption from?

I asked the same thing. She’s not the one that cried and gave up in the middle of a final.

At this point, is there anyone worth rooting for where you don't have to shower afterward? I'd suggest Steve, but he might be too weird for most people.

8 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Jeez, I can't defend that. How the hell can Nicole do that?!?

Laurel may be a competition beast, but as I said in a previous episode thread, she is a baby when it comes to emotional intelligence.  

Hey, if you want to cry to someone but don't want advice, you need to tell them that.  Most people who care about you at all (and I think Cara was trying to be supportive, and was honest about not liking to see Laurel hurting), say "I'm just looking for a shoulder, not for advice."  If you keep coming and crying about the same thing over and over, the other person is definitely going to try to offer solutions.  

Her screeching so the whole house could hear (and all the wildlife in the area scamper or fly away--funny shots!) reminded me of that time when she jumped around crazedly thinking she had won an elimination (don't remember the season).  

NB Cara is not at the top level of emotional intelligence either, but at least she started this whole contretemps trying to be a friend.  

I never liked Tina that much, but I was enjoying her sassing Teeje at any opportunity (pretending to take offense at "Tramp").  That's the kind of lighthearted interludes I prefer over Laurel-screech.  

• Like 5
(edited)

The fact that I am being forced to root for Cara again for the first time in like probably a decade is really annoying lol.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. These people have convinced themselves, based on literally nothing real, that Cara is a demon rather than just admit they're afraid to compete against her. It happens all the time but it's still so frustrating to watch every time.

Kam's entitlement reared it's ugly head again. It'd be a lot easier to take if someone, anyone, would call her out on it rather than literally playing the game for her while complaining about Cara. Very odd behavior from all of them.

Laurel is not mentally healthy. She needs to seek professional help.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Laurel may be a competition beast, but as I said in a previous episode thread, she is a baby when it comes to emotional intelligence.  

Hey, if you want to cry to someone but don't want advice, you need to tell them that.  Most people who care about you at all (and I think Cara was trying to be supportive, and was honest about not liking to see Laurel hurting), say "I'm just looking for a shoulder, not for advice."  If you keep coming and crying about the same thing over and over, the other person is definitely going to try to offer solutions.  

Her screeching so the whole house could hear (and all the wildlife in the area scamper or fly away--funny shots!) reminded me of that time when she jumped around crazedly thinking she had won an elimination (don't remember the season).  

NB Cara is not at the top level of emotional intelligence either, but at least she started this whole contretemps trying to be a friend.  

Yeah, Laurel is not emotionally healthy, but I question Cara's judgment in getting in the middle of such a mixed up, toxic dynamic. And she and Laurel have a mostly negative relationship, IIRC, so not really worth creating enemies with more people on Laurel's behalf.

I also just super do not get the appeal of Nicole. Marbles in her mouth, rocks in her head, I don't understand how she has the power to destroy people's lives.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I haven't finished the episode yet, but just wanted to say that Laurel is the worst type of friend. She cries to you about her partner and how awful they are, and when you're not friendly with said partner because you've heard all about and seen how shitty they treat your friend, then the friend treats you like the enemy. It's so frustrating! 

• Like 8
10 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, Laurel is not emotionally healthy, but I question Cara's judgment in getting in the middle of such a mixed up, toxic dynamic. And she and Laurel have a mostly negative relationship, IIRC, so not really worth creating enemies with more people on Laurel's behalf.

I meant to say that Cara is not that mature emotionally, but she's maybe a preschooler compared to Laurel's infancy, heh.  Agree that she shouldn't have tangled herself in this, but hindsight, blah blah.  Hopefully she learns from it!  

On 5/24/2024 at 11:34 AM, ljenkins782 said:

I think the Laurel/Cara relationship is just really complicated. Part of me wonders if Cara just doesn't have any girl friends to know that when you tell a friend the truth about a toxic relationship they always blame you. Most of us learn that in high school. I do also wonder how much of her desire to interject has to do with her own history of manipulative/ abusive relationships she has been through with Abram and Kyle. That may just be my own projection though. 

• Like 1
On 5/25/2024 at 5:53 PM, Cherry Styles said:

Does Cara switch to a different accent sometimes? It seemed really noticeable this episode. 

I also don't see the appeal of Nicole at all. 

Cara grew up in the same general area as CT. Her accent is not as pronounced but I think during times of stress the Boston accent comes out strong. I can relate because I partially grew up in Mississippi and had a very strong southern accent when I moved away. It's mostly gone now but if I'm tired or angry or drunk it slips out and suddenly I'm very Southern. 

• Like 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Cara grew up in the same general area as CT. Her accent is not as pronounced but I think during times of stress the Boston accent comes out strong. I can relate because I partially grew up in Mississippi and had a very strong southern accent when I moved away. It's mostly gone now but if I'm tired or angry or drunk it slips out and suddenly I'm very Southern. 

My folks are from Georgia. Thankfully, my parents moved to a city and had me. I am not built for rural and small town life. Growing up, I was always told that I talked like I was from "the country." I had to beat that out of me in college. Now, that I've started working remotely and I don't go to the office as much, it's coming back. 😂

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, AntFTW said:

My folks are Georgia. Thankfully, my parents moved to a city and had me. I am not built for rural and small town life. Growing up, I was always told that I talked like I was from "the country." I had to beat that out of me in college. Now, that I've started working remotely and I don't go to the office as much, it's coming back. 😂

I only lived there for 4 years but they were very formative years lol. When I moved I was teased mercilessly so I managed to get rid of it after about a year but some how It still sneaks back in if I let my guard down. 😆

• LOL 1
(edited)

I think Cara is really annoying. In terms of moral compasses, I think hers points north more than most of her castmates, but that doesn't mean she's not annoying in general. She's just a convenient scapegoat when other people want to band together and don't have much common ground, so they use their shared annoyance at Cara.

And while Laurel sucked for pouring her heart out to Cara then bitching and blaming Cara for trying to help (and say some truths Laurel didn't want to hear), Cara should know better at this point than try to stick her neck out for Laurel, ever. Laurel acts like her best friend when it's convenient or strategic to be and no other time, and Cara has seen this play out many times over the last nearly 15 years.

Edited by Tatum
  • Like 2
(edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 8:42 AM, jsm1125 said:

What is the majority of the house’s issue with Cara Maria?

On 5/22/2024 at 1:38 PM, WInterfalls said:

I too am confused about Cara telling lies behind Kam and Leroy's back. Good for Kam getting that star let's see if Cara can get it back. I'd actually die laughing if Cara went down and won and then took Nicole's star and let Kam keep hers. 

Kam was on Johnny's podcast recapping episode 9. According to Kam, Nicole was told that Kam said Nicole was "100 types of dumb" by Cara; Nicole went to Kam crying saying "I can't believe you said all of this stuff about me" and "Cara said you want to take me to a final because I'm so dumb, and that you'd easily beat me."

According to Kam, Cara was also telling the house that if they let Kam and Leroy go to a final and it happens to be partners, one of them will sabotage their partner so the other can win.

Edited by AntFTW
2 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

According to Kam, Cara was also telling the house that if they let Kam and Leroy go to a final and it happens to be partners, one of them will sabotage their partner so the other can win.

I mean, I think that's a valid thing to think about. These people would be absolute idiots to let a married couple go to the finale.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I mean, I think that's a valid thing to think about. These people would be absolute idiots to let a married couple go to the finale.

Also not wrong to say Nicole is 100 types of dumb, so it would not surprise me if Kam did say and was just mad that it got back to Nicole.

• Like 5
(edited)
20 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Also not wrong to say Nicole is 100 types of dumb, so it would not surprise me if Kam did say and was just mad that it got back to Nicole.

Kam said it was a lie and that she never said that about Nicole. Apparently that was one of “the lies” she was referring to in this episode that Cara supposedly told.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Cara actually lied about it to cause some chaos in the house. Considering the arguments between Cara and Nicole this season, we know that’s exactly how Cara feels about Nicole.

If we’re being honest, I think everyone feels that way about Nicole. 👀🤐🙊

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 2