Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: One Day

• Start Topic

(edited)

I enjoyed the episode. Deborah is very mild to Ava, which is a nice change. And their "Why are you doing this to me" chorus had me lol.

Btw, what did their young rescuers want Deborah to buy them?

ETA  Forgot to mention: Deb's speech about aging was dead on.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ofmd said:

Mike’s Hard (lemonade). Funny, this was like the third time in a day or two that I’ve heard that mentioned in the context of being a stereotypical underage drinker favorite. 

• Thanks 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, ofmd said:

I enjoyed the episode. Deborah is very mild to Ava, which is a nice change. And their "Why are you doing this to me" chorus had me lol.

Though I wonder how old the writers are who wrote that piece of dialog.

The show runners are much younger than Deborah but older than Ava.

I forget the exact line but Ava expressing disbelief at the reason Deborah gave for not taking her phone was that it would leave lines on her pants was funny.

It was really touching, the concern they had for each other, first after Deborah fell and then Ava.  Then Ava suggesting that she go ahead and look for help and Deborah pleading with her not to leave her and Ava saying she won't.

Then as they rode on the back of those motorcycles, they grabbed each other's hands while "Lonely People" played and you saw relief and joy on Ava's face.

While they were stranded, they talked about climate change and at the end, Deborah decides to build a studio so she wouldn't have to fly as much and change her investments to green energy.

Not necessarily because Ava convinced her on the merits of the arguments but because she saw that these issues really mattered to Ava.

Inside the Episode, the show runners said that they wanted to do an episode which wasn't about her trying to get the late night gig around half way into the season.  They also said it's a real thing, to yell "Why are you doing this to me, I don't even know you!" instead of "HELP!" though the exact phrase may not be what this supposed research showed would be more effective.

BTW, Deborah mentions James Gandalfini as one part of her ideal man.  That line is a nod to The Sopranos Pine Barrens episode.

Edited by aghst
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

This was a touching episode.  Shows the growth of their friendship that Deb can talk so honestly about her feelings.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, aghst said:
23 hours ago, ofmd said:

Though I wonder how old the writers are who wrote that piece of dialog.

Carol Leifer was one of the writers of this episode. She is 67, so I would bet she wrote that speech. For those who aren't familiar with Carol Leifer, she started out as a stand-up comic (she was dating Paul Reiser, who was just starting out in stand-up and decided to try it herself) and appeared on Letterman many times. Then she mostly pivoted to writing. She wrote for a lot of shows, including SNL and Seinfeld. The character of Elaine was partially based on her.

I guess this could be considered a filler episode since it didn't really advance the storyline, but I loved it. Ava has really softened Deborah and their relationship has really deepened.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I guess I'm the only one that didn't love this. I think I've seen too many episodes like it, where a couple of characters take stupid risks in the unfamiliar outdoors...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, wendyg said:

I guess I'm the only one that didn't love this. I think I've seen too many episodes like it, where a couple of characters take stupid risks in the unfamiliar outdoors...

No.  You're not the only one.  There were some good moments but it had some contrivances I'm not usually a fan of.  The minute Deborah caused Ava to drop her phone in the stream, I was a little annoyed.  Especially because don't most phones come waterproof these days?  Enough to handle a quick drop under water? 

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, wendyg said:

I don't like these episodes either. The minute they got lost, and were going to use the entire episode to find their way I was out. Feels like a filler episode.

Edited by juno

I think there were good exchanges between them, some funny lines and the two characters showing vulnerability to each other.

So it's not a filler, it is another episode in their story.

Even though they were worried about finding their way back to their car or finding help, the nature of their communication had substance.  It was about more than them feeling and acting hapless.

Because it focused almost entirely on the two characters, in an unusual circumstance, they saw each other in new ways.

As they said, it was a nod to Pine Barrens, which also had a lot of funny moments but Pauly and Christopher learned that they couldn't trust each other under some dire situations.

• Like 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, wendyg said:

I didn't love this episode ether.  Their getting lost felt very predictable and as soon as they headed into the woods I expected an "they're going to get lost and have some deep conversations" episode, which I feel has been done a lot by a lot of shows .  But the next episode was really good, and the roast episode was one of my favorite in the series. 

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2
On 5/17/2024 at 3:18 PM, aghst said:

I forget the exact line but Ava expressing disbelief at the reason Deborah gave for not taking her phone was that it would leave lines on her pants was funny.

What Deb said is that she doesn't put anything in her pockets because it ruins her lines. I don't think she was referring to literal lines being visible on her pants due to the presence of something in her pocket, so much as meaning her visual lines, like how something visible in her pockets would ruin the sight lines of her from the front, the side, or the back.

• Like 3