Type keyword(s) to search

S6.E09: Best Laid Plans

• Start Topic

When a retired FBI agent is tortured and killed while working a security job, Scola and Nina go undercover as a married couple deep in the diamond game as the team tries to find out who is responsible. During the course of his and Nina’s dangerous assignment, Scola is plagued by the possibility that their son Doug could end up parentless.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Very good episode tonight - gripping from start to finish. I liked seeing Nina work with the team again and how they carried out the operation to nail the perps. My only complaint was that NYPD should’ve known there was an FBI operation going down and to not engage - seemed like poor interagency cooperation. Otherwise a very good plot with some nice scenes for each character and the story flowed well from start to finish. I like all of the characters on this show and they work really well together. I also think Scola/Nina are good together, they have a lot more romantic chemistry now than when they first got together. Nice crossover with Nina where they actually used her in the plot unlike Scola’s cameo on MW last week. Good episode.

• Like 10
(edited)

I have to agree with @Netfoot.  Some episodes of this show are dull and they seem to be phoning it in with the writing.  So I zone out and then turn it off.  This was one of those episodes for me.  Most Wanted has better stories, I think.

Edited by EtheltoTillie

I think the FBI’s wardrobe team loves Shantel VanSanten. No matter what shows she’s in, she has the most stylish outfits.

The safe house belongs to the Fugitive Task Force? Why would they need a safe house in Midtown Manhattan?

“So they grab Rosen, take to the warehouse, torture him, force him to access his work portal, the shoot him and dump his body near the railroad tracks.”

“Hey, check it out. Provident Armored. That’s why Rosen was being tortured.”

Geez, thank you Jubal and Maggie for pointing out the obvious.

🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I liked seeing Nina work with the team again and how they carried out the operation to nail the perps.

Those perps badly needed to attend a class in remedial criminality.  😕

Maggie and OA are in pursuit.

"There's too many people around.  This could go sideways really fast.  Let's just get closer before we arrest him," Maggie says.

What!  Here in FBI-land, we yell, "FBI!  Freeze!" when 200+ feet away from the suspect, allowing almost 100% certainty that the suspect will escape.  This writer must be new. Like, new-new.

Tiff acknowledges she needs professional help after last week's total meltdown of appropriate FBI conduct.  So that's something.  Although I'm not sure she would have gotten help after the blown op itself, or if she only did because of the unpleasantness with the wife of her obvious best friend in the world, Hobbs.

I like the reality of Scola and Nina's New York home, i.e. that it's cozy and small.

They are dressing Maggie like Missy might be pregnant again?  I don't mean that as a negative comment on her appearance at all.  I think she looks great and I've gotten past the hump of accepting her bangs.  It's just the telltale baggier button-ups.

• Like 4

I liked the intense firefight, though it was painful to watch all those innocent donuts get it.   The team looked like superheroes running through the streets of Manhattan.

Not so painful to watch Nina.

Whatever happened to Gemma?  They made a big fuss about her early on, now that thread just vanishes ... or is it one of those laying-the-groundwork-for-the-season-finale deals where OA will have to choose between his heart and duty?

2 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

They are dressing Maggie like Missy might be pregnant again?  I don't mean that as a negative comment on her appearance at all.  I think she looks great and I've gotten past the hump of accepting her bangs.  It's just the telltale baggier button-ups.

Her nose looked odd in a couple scenes.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Geez, thank you Jubal and Maggie for pointing out the obvious.

Pointing out the obvious (and telling everyone to do what they should already know to do) is the sole purpose of Jubal on this show. The show-runners should fire him and use the money to hire more agents who have a purpose that extends beyond shouting "All right people! Let's get up on his GPS/ Social Media/ LoJack... Oh, you did it already? Well, why does the show need me, if you can do your job without being told?"

10 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

Here in FBI-land, we yell, "FBI!  Freeze!" when 200+ feet away from the suspect, allowing almost 100% certainty that the suspect will escape.

And we wear slick, all-black outfits wherever we go, emblazoned with the FBI logo in 1,200 point script! Just so as not to draw attention to ourselves!

8 hours ago, millennium said:

I liked the intense firefight, though it was painful to watch all those innocent donuts get it.

Four highly trained FBI agents fire 194 rounds each (with Ben Cartwright's pistol because I didn't see much in the way of reloading) and all they hit was a couple donuts. I think they need more range-time.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

And we wear slick, all-black outfits wherever we go, emblazoned with the FBI logo in 1,200 point script! Just so as not to draw attention to ourselves!

In neon yellow typeface against the black.
This time I interpreted it as:
Neener neener neener. Can't say you didn't know you were shooting at FBI.
But now I'm thinking that probably wouldn't matter.

• Like 1

I thought the episode was pretty good. I like seeing Nina and Scola together but the argument/debate over mitigating risk seemed stupid considering they both have super dangerous jobs and are always getting shot at. If Scola was that worried about risk and ensuring that little Dougie didn't end up an orphan, then one of them should be taking a desk job. 

I may have missed it, but I thought there were 3 people involved in the torture and kidnapping of the retired FBI guy. They got the 2 brothers, but did they ever say who the third person was? I don't think it was that older white guy, or was it? 

Also, it seemed strange to me that Nina kept saying they had to book flights to Napa. For most people, if you are going to Napa, you would fly into the Bay Area or Sacramento, maybe Santa Rosa, but not many commercial flights into Napa itself unless you're rich and flying a private plane to their small airport. I live here so something like that stands out to me. But speaking of being rich, didn't Scola at one time say that he had made a lot of money in a previous job? I like seeing them as a family in a more realistic small apartment, but I thought he would have more money for something more spacious. Maybe even in a house in the suburbs. 

• Like 4

Scola has expensive clothes and watch, but since he lived alone didn't bother buying an expensive house (probably still has most of his money invested).

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, AnyTimeFromNow said:

My first thought was, "What a waste of donuts!" 

Same. Even day-old donuts are edible. I used to bring home a box after work to my grateful my neighbors (shared kitchen in a college town rooming house).
But I guess there's a lot worse waste on these shows that are always blowing up stuff and shooting up places and torching cars.

• Like 2
On 4/18/2024 at 3:47 PM, GiandujaPie said:

I thought the episode was pretty good. I like seeing Nina and Scola together but the argument/debate over mitigating risk seemed stupid considering they both have super dangerous jobs and are always getting shot at. If Scola was that worried about risk and ensuring that little Dougie didn't end up an orphan, then one of them should be taking a desk job. 

I thought that Nina was a bit overly dismissive of Scola's concerns - which to me, weren't all that unreasonable.  Yes, they are both in dangerous jobs, and yes, either of them could get killed on the job.  But the odds of both of them dying on the same day on the job are a lot less than say them both dying in the same plane crash.  Unless of course they're working together undercover.  It's all about reducing the risks that their kid will be orphaned, not about getting rid of them altogether. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I thought that Nina was a bit overly dismissive of Scola's concerns - which to me, weren't all that unreasonable.  Yes, they are both in dangerous jobs, and yes, either of them could get killed on the job.  But the odds of both of them dying on the same day on the job are a lot less than say them both dying in the same plane crash.  Unless of course they're working together undercover.  It's all about reducing the risks that their kid will be orphaned, not about getting rid of them altogether. 

So 2 people with children together should never travel together on a plane? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GiandujaPie said:

So 2 people with children together should never travel together on a plane? 

I think my daughter with the kids and her husband mentioned in passing the concept of both parents not flying on the same plane (but they do fly together).
But I do think it's one of those memes that made its way into this episode plot.

Do neither Scola nor Nina have any remaining parents or siblings or close aunts or cousins? I know it makes it easier to not have to cast them, but maybe they're going to need at least one godparent who doesn't get shot at every week because they are seemingly the only crime fighters in the city, and who are not on call 24/7/365.