Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

When Bob and Abishola go to New York City with Dele for his Juilliard audition, Abishola reconnects with her brother Ade, on the CBS Original series BOB HEARTS ABISHOLA, Monday, April 22 (8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

Aw, Dele didn’t get into Juilliard (I suspect some of Dele’s dance routine was done by a stunt double). But there are other options

I really liked the ending scene with Abishola playing a guitar while her brother played piano. I assume the actress knew how to play the guitar? Or maybe she just learned it for the scene since it seemed like a simple routine

• Like 4
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

Aw, Dele didn’t get into Juilliard (I suspect some of Dele’s dance routine was done by a stunt double). But there are other options

I was kind of glad that they showed him looking at other options.   Abishola was always pushing him to get into Harvard and then Juliard, and they are now ok looking at other options, also she is supportive of him majoring in dance.

11 hours ago, DanaK said:

I assume the actress knew how to play the guitar? Or maybe she just learned it for the scene since it seemed like a simple routine

I've read she's a musician in real life, she even played with David Bowie.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 9
30 minutes ago, karenc3 said:

I was kind of glad that they showed him looking at other options.   Abishola was always pushing him to get into Harvard and then Juliard, and they are now ok looking at other options, also she is supportive of him majoring in dance.

I always hated that they made Abishola push for the most prestigious, hardest to get into schools.  I know they were trying to make a cultural point but I thought it went OTT with her.  I came from a very pressurized, achievement oriented peer group and even their parents didn't have expectations that high.  On top of that I once worked in college admissions at my university, which was not on the stellar level of Harvard and many Nigerians applied there.

That said, SUNY Purchase is a fine school with a fine reputation in performing arts and dance programs.  I know it well having come from the NY area.  I liked that it was mentioned in this episode.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
48 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I always hated that they made Abishola push for the most prestigious, hardest to get into schools.  I know they were trying to make a cultural point but I thought it went OTT with her.  I came from a very pressurized, achievement oriented peer group and even their parents didn't have expectations that high.  On top of that I once worked in college admissions at my university, which was not on the stellar level of Harvard and many Nigerians applied there.

That said, SUNY Purchase is a fine school with a fine reputation in performing arts and dance programs.  I know it well having come from the NY area.  I liked that it was mentioned in this episode.

It bothers me that Abishola had only one school in mind both for Dele and herself.  Juilliard is certainly a prestigious school, but there are many other prestigious schools for dance education that would be equally advantageous for him to attend.  And probably more that have better curricula for the street-style dancing Dele favors.  Same thing with colleges.  Harvard is excellent but there are at least a dozen other schools with equal standing for academic excellence.  I won't even start to explain why her obsession with attending Johns Hopkins for med school without any consideration of anything else is dumb.  Hasn't she heard of having a safety school?

For med school, there are a ton of options that would probably suit her better than Johns Hopkins.  I get the impression that she wants to be a clinician, caring for patients being her primary goal.  Johns Hopkins is a great school for people who want to do research or academics as physicians, the clinical stuff is secondary.  There are a zillion other schools better suited to the sort of medical career she seems to want.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

It bothers me that Abishola had only one school in mind both for Dele and herself.  Juilliard is certainly a prestigious school, but there are many other prestigious schools for dance education that would be equally advantageous for him to attend.  And probably more that have better curricula for the street-style dancing Dele favors.  Same thing with colleges.  Harvard is excellent but there are at least a dozen other schools with equal standing for academic excellence.  I won't even start to explain why her obsession with attending Johns Hopkins for med school without any consideration of anything else is dumb.  Hasn't she heard of having a safety school?

For med school, there are a ton of options that would probably suit her better than Johns Hopkins.  I get the impression that she wants to be a clinician, caring for patients being her primary goal.  Johns Hopkins is a great school for people who want to do research or academics as physicians, the clinical stuff is secondary.  There are a zillion other schools better suited to the sort of medical career she seems to want.

Speaking of Johns Hopkins I'm not missing my weekly mention of how that was not addressed yet AGAIN while the show only has two episodes left.  I did read something on the media thread about how that's going to be addressed in the finale episode so at least I know they won't let it hang with no resolution.

• Like 4
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Abishola suddenly being so agreeable with everything is just weird

It is.  I can see how being with easygoing Bob and being relieved of many of the financial stressors she had before marrying him could cause her to loosen up a little, but this transformation is sudden and seems unearned.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2

I liked the musical number.  No surprise Adele did not get into Juilliard with the same mediocre street dancing they showed a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think that he would have even gotten to the live audition phase. 

• Like 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Not any weirder than Goodwin’s heart growing 3 sizes in the last episode. Right?

Both whiplash-inducing character developments are unrealistic. But I like them as an 11th hour addition to the show, leaving us with an emotional reward for having stuck with these often terrible people who reminded many of us of some of our own family members.

The musical number was great. I saw Kofo briefly. Did most of the cast have cameos?The jazzy improv was nice too. 
It’s nice that the show was able to showcase the actors' other abilities for future roles.

Edited by shapeshifter
missing apostrophe
  • Like 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

having stuck with these often terrible people

I still don't like Abishola's mother, especially after she called everyone she knew and bragged about how rich she was going to be after the sale of MaxDot. I wasn't that thrilled with Christina and Douglas either. It wasn't funny. And where the h*ll has Dottie been?

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

It is not sudden. There were many episodes focusing on Dele's undeniable desire to be a dancer and they clashed over it many times. Whenever they argued about anything, Abishola always lost and had to give in to Dele in the end - just think of the haircut fiasco - it seems she learned with time to just be supportive and leave it at that. Which, I don't think she should do. I still think Dele's dream to be a dancer is extremely stupid. There are so many viable career options that would provide a better future and he goes for that? And Abishola doesn't stop him? Pathetic. But I know this is a feel good TV show, so whatever.

Edited by Harvey
(edited)
17 hours ago, Harvey said:

It is not sudden. There were many episodes focusing on Dele's undeniable desire to be a dancer and they clashed over it many times. Whenever they argued about anything, Abishola always lost and had to give in to Dele in the end - just think of the haircut fiasco - it seems she learned with time to just be supportive and leave it at that. Which, I don't think she should do. I still think Dele's dream to be a dancer is extremely stupid. There are so many viable career options that would provide a better future and he goes for that? And Abishola doesn't stop him? Pathetic. But I know this is a feel good TV show, so whatever.

In the end, Dele is an adult, or will be soon.  At his age with no dependents or responsibilities, it is the ideal time to try out a dance career.  He seemingly hasn't ever been in any sort of organized dance training.  If so, doing a rigorous curriculum in dance is going to be a real eye opener for him and he will soon discover if he has the talent, the stamina, the drive to actually give it a go.  Or, he'll realize that dance at a professional level is not his thing and move onto something else.  He may discover that teaching dance, choreography, or other auxiliary role is right for him.    If nothing else, he will learn discipline, stamina, dedication; things that will help him whatever career he chooses.

Dele is at the age where a kid should give his dreams a go with his parents' support.  Now, if he still needs full support in 10 years; then, yeah, time to rethink the career. Maybe he'll end up like Abishola's brother, earning a living in the arts, but just barely.  Her brother seems quite happy and satisfied with his life.   There are worse things than having a job that doesn't pay well.

And, yeah, at some point, Dele may get married and start a family and perhaps his dancing won't be enough to support that; at which time he can move into a better paying career.  I've got several friends who were professional musicians when they were young and single who eventually got married and moved into 'real' jobs to support their family.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 6

I like that the show took the wind out of "everyone must go to Harvard or Juilliard" and "everyone will get in if they want to". I find both ideas obnoxious, so I was glad they did that.

• Like 6
23 hours ago, Notabug said:

In the end, Dele is an adult, or will be soon.  At his age with no dependents or responsibilities, it is the ideal time to try out a dance career.

its almost like you blocked out all of the culture of his because it doesn't matter how old he gets his mom and grandmother will always have an input

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

its almost like you blocked out all of the culture of his because it doesn't matter how old he gets his mom and grandmother will always have an input

Sure, they have input, but they don't have control.  Even Abishola's awful mother was apparently unable to force her son to give up his musical career for something more secure.

I have no problem with Abishola, or even Bob, expressing reservations about a career in the arts and making sure Dele understood how limited the options are in that area as well as how difficult it is to make a living. But, in the end, cultural factors or not, Dele has been raised in the US where Nigerian cultural norms are not observed and is probably going to go his own way no matter what his mother wants.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Sure, they have input, but they don't have control. 

again they do have control IF we are going by what has been established the 4 seasons before this .. this season they suddenly "softened" her and its 100% out of character ... the parents and elders in this shows world 100 % still have a say

On 4/23/2024 at 3:02 PM, Harvey said:

Which, I don't think she should do. I still think Dele's dream to be a dancer is extremely stupid. There are so many viable career options that would provide a better future and he goes for that?

But a lot of times 18 year old kids don't make the best decisions for their future career path. One of my former foster kids wants to go to college for theater/acting. Is this smart? Not at all. But it is a means to a college degree which ultimately will benefit her as a whole. 

I appreciated that Dele didn't get into Julliard because so often on TV anyone who wants to go there gets in even when their skills and talent don't match the rigorous requirements. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2024 at 9:41 AM, Notabug said:

Sure, they have input, but they don't have control.  Even Abishola's awful mother was apparently unable to force her son to give up his musical career for something more secure.

I have no problem with Abishola, or even Bob, expressing reservations about a career in the arts and making sure Dele understood how limited the options are in that area as well as how difficult it is to make a living. But, in the end, cultural factors or not, Dele has been raised in the US where Nigerian cultural norms are not observed and is probably going to go his own way no matter what his mother wants.

Right, it's fascinating how neither Abishola nor her mother never mentioned the "lazy" musician brother until he became a plot point.

However, someone still has to pay for his tuition, and Bob won't do it if Abishola doesn't approve.

On 4/23/2024 at 1:50 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I liked the musical number.  No surprise Adele did not get into Juilliard with the same mediocre street dancing they showed a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think that he would have even gotten to the live audition phase. 

And it's silly that parents get to watch the audition, or that a child would want their parents to do so.

Where were Dele and Abishola's brother sleeping when Abishola and Bob were playing Dele's audition video over and over again /talking while in her brother's bed, only a few steps from the couch and kitchen area? In the bathroom?

• LOL 1