Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E07: A Thousand Yards

• Start Topic

NCIS comes under attack by a mysterious enemy from the past; Vance tries to mend fences with his estranged son by explaining why, despite the ongoing dangers of his job, he still chooses to stay at NCIS.

Episode 1000! Airs Monday, April 15 on CBS.

Not how I would have expected Jared to look when he grew up. Decent ep. I liked it, think all the call backs were appropriate. Glad Fornell was the one who solved the case. Wish Parker had slipped Leon a knife while in the hospital. Guess they didn't think Vance's life was still in danger. Which is probably the ep weak spot. Plus how the young girl got all the old case/personal info on NCIS.

• Like 4

I nearly shouted "Hodgins!  Who's the King of the Lab!" when that actor showed up as the Elon Musk stand-in.

I also loved that the nerds really won the day, since the IT Troll proved to be pivotal in the investigation, and his shot at interrogation was awkward actorly gold, and Tim McGeek gets to be interim director--a role he took with zero dissembling and great confidence.

Loved the callback to the original episode with Air Force One.  Nicely done.

The montage of former NCIS players was missing a few....no Abby?  No Ducky?  No Jenny Shepard?  No Gerald?

• Like 9
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I nearly shouted "Hodgins!  Who's the King of the Lab!" when that actor showed up as the Elon Musk stand-in.

I also loved that the nerds really won the day, since the IT Troll proved to be pivotal in the investigation, and his shot at interrogation was awkward actorly gold, and Tim McGeek gets to be interim director--a role he took with zero dissembling and great confidence.

Loved the callback to the original episode with Air Force One.  Nicely done.

The montage of former NCIS players was missing a few....no Abby?  No Ducky?  No Jenny Shepard?  No Gerald?

I think my favorite part was the little "look and point" that Vance gave McGee in the hospital and next scene,  McGee is interim director again

• Like 2

I cringed when McGee just nonchalantly pointed to the outlet when the app nerd needed a charge. Of course he knows about electronic hacks so he should have known better. We all have known about them since they were exposed,  revealed, and reported in airport charging stations years ago. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Neat callbacks and solid episode with some weak points. Added to the ones already listed: veterinary assistant becomes sniper in three months.

And shout-out to the poster who predicted Curtis would get a more significant part soon.

While adult Jared did not look one bit like kid Jared he looked a lot like mum. Good casting.

image.png.d9577070c3b13c76e60471d57cecdff0.pngimage.png.3a8a13870810e08a615aa280c757a8ee.png

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 7

While I enjoyed the episode, the resolution regarding Jared's mindset change/understanding, and the final dialogue in the hospital room, read like a propaganda reel for NCIS. Makes me wonder why, and why now. Is the real NCIS having a shortage of applicants? Has the real NCIS's reputation taken a hit lately from something? It was so heavy-handed and random, that I can't help but think there must have been a reason.

^"Heartfelt" writing is the main genre that ncis writers know.

Did they seriously give 35% of this episode to Curtis, who has no historical or celebrity significance?

Once again, I am underwhelmed. Fornell had 10 seconds to be adorable with his fellow slightly-younger chum (Parker).

Someone noticed the parallel between Fornell crashing on Gibbs' couch, to sleeping on Parker's couch now. No one in their 70s is sleeping on any couch though.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Neat callbacks and solid episode with some weak points. Added to the ones already listed: veterinary assistant becomes sniper in three months

Yes!  I kept waiting for that to be explained — how in the world did she become an expert, long-range sniper???

• Like 4
On 4/16/2024 at 8:00 PM, MerBearHou said:

Yes!  I kept waiting for that to be explained — how in the world did she become an expert, long-range sniper???

Some folks hit the range at basic training and can't even zero their sights, others are just naturals at that particular skill.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:27 PM, LuvMyShows said:

While I enjoyed the episode, the resolution regarding Jared's mindset change/understanding, and the final dialogue in the hospital room, read like a propaganda reel for NCIS. Makes me wonder why, and why now. Is the real NCIS having a shortage of applicants? Has the real NCIS's reputation taken a hit lately from something? It was so heavy-handed and random, that I can't help but think there must have been a reason.

I don't know if the real NIS/NCIS ever had a great reputation. Since they called back remember the new TSA  airport security thought Gibbs and DiNozzo  had counterfeit never heard of them badges. Unlike the show with Secret Service, FBI, CIA and ATF agents transferring in it is portrayed like the US Postal Inspectors as the last resort federal agency  if the big three letter agencies turned you down. Many local and state agencies are having  recruit shortages I don't see why other than FBI federal law enforcement wouldn't also have problems.

Of course going back to the beginning having a Secret Service agent say all is good, what do you navy cops know. What do they the NCIS TV Secret Service know, that two cars can crash their perimeter to potentially suicide bomb Air Force One on the roll without their CAT team taking those cars out, really.  You can only hope the Air Force was just moving the plane without the President on board.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:29 AM, mammaM said:

I think my favorite part was the little "look and point" that Vance gave McGee in the hospital and next scene,  McGee is interim director again

It was more my least favorite with all sorts of high ranking folk turning up in Los Angeles the thought that you have a director and the next level is to just point at a field agent and place him in charge of the entire agency instead of the layers of bureaucracy that are over him stepping in. 

• Like 2
On 4/11/2024 at 11:22 AM, chitowngirl said:

NCIS comes under attack by a mysterious enemy from the past; Vance tries to mend fences with his estranged son by explaining why, despite the ongoing dangers of his job, he still chooses to stay at NCIS.

I was thinking more like its been 15 years, after J. Edgar Hoover we don't let top cops stay in place forever anymore.