Type keyword(s) to search

Season 21: Episode Live Chat

• Start Topic

Top Chef fans, here's the episode live chat topic.

A moderator will unlock the topic in the afternoon or early evening of the day of the episode and will lock it again once the episode has finished airing on the West Coast. (If there are any members from Alaska or Hawaii who would like to have the thread open longer, please notify a moderator and we will adjust the lock-time).

As always, episodes should be discussed in their respective episode topics in between episodes.

As the overall impression of the Top Chef forum is that of a green-lit forum and last season's live chat has been officially green-lit, we trust that you'll nudge each other politely at the off-chance that an episode discussion ensues before or after an episode's airing and that you'll handle disagreements and discuss competition and contestants as respectfully as in the rest of the forum.

Thank you and happy live-posting.

Between Kristen “hopping” into the quickfire challenge and faking everyone out with the start, I’d say she’s knocking it outta the park.

• Like 4

I've  never worked with hops, but I wonder if blanching them would remove/reduce the bitterness. I always do that with broccoli rabe, before using it in a dish.

1 minute ago, Pandora said:

Between Kristen “hopping” into the quickfire challenge and faking everyone out with the start, I’d say she’s knocking it outta the park.

I laughed hard as the chefs came rushing toward them. Kristen pushed Joe F. out of the way and said, "Run!"

• Like 3

I wonder if Kenny getting the one ingredient he had no idea for is going to be a disaster or he's going to knock it out of the park (or, of course, somewhere in the middle).

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love Rasika mentioning But I'm a Cheerleader.

I love Rasika kind of nerding out over Carla Hall too.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had to pee and missed what happened with the slippery floor -- who spilled?

Charly spilled some cream. He tried to wipe it up with a kitchen towel, but I don't think he got it all. He did announce to the other chefs to be careful in the area. Laura then slipped (didn't fall) but had a pot of melted cheese with her and some overflow fell on the floor. She tried to get there to wipe the floor, but Dan fell just ahead of her getting there.

• Useful 2
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

what happened with the slippery floor -- who spilled?

There were two different spills -- first, Charly spilled (and didn't seem to clean it up at all), then Laura slipped in what he spilled and some of the very hot, heavy contents of what she was carrying spilled. Then Dan fell in the aftermath. All of that seems like it could've been a lot worse than it turned out.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had to pee and missed what happened with the slippery floor -- who spilled?

Dan slipped and fell. Someone spilled cream, I don’t know chefs names yet. 

Edited by Straycat80

I feel sorry for these chefs. I live in Illinois, Wisconsin has basically the same weather, it’s got to be July judging by the corn fields. Hot, humid, dry and buggy. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Where were the p.a.s to cleanup?

I wondered that, too! I mean, you'd think they'd clean stuff up with haste to avoid any potential horrible outcome (and lawsuits, lol)...

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Where were the p.a.s to cleanup?

I think they only do so afterward, not during a cook. 

3 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I've been waiting to see Michelle's. I love collards!

Yes, other than all the potato dishes (purely personal preference; I hate potatoes), I would be all over this food, but hers was the one I'd most like to taste, so I'm glad she won.

• Like 2
(edited)

I didn't like Kenny's lacy looking chip on his dish.   Michelle's looks fantastic, all of the judges love it.  I like that the judges and crowd agreed.  

I like Kristen more each week.  Three favorites Kaleenna, Michelle, and Dan.   Winner is Michelle, and I'm so happy for her, the crowd loved her dish, and so did the judges. 

Bottom three Kenny, Manny and Kevin, they are the crowds' least favorite, and also the judges.  Kenny's dish sounds awful after the judges critique it, and Kevin's does too.   Manny was a failure of time management. I love how the other contestants are consoling the bottom three.  Bye-Bye to Kenny.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

The "seemingly similar but strikingly different" (great title) concept -- wasn’t that a challenge in another season, to make two dishes that looked the same but tasted different?

• Like 3
(edited)

The result was telegraphed so hard from the beginning there was no fun watching what should have been a brilliant episode.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Looks like Alisha and Kaleena got their wish about not being in the middle and treading water…..

Edited by bosawks
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Seelouis said:

Wow. They won’t even pretend there’s a debate about who loses. 

I know, right.  A clear losing team.  Ouch. 

Okay, my favs so far are Michelle, Rasika, Alisha and Dan. 

Edited by VintageJ