Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Date Night

• Start Topic

TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT

Shaun and Lea struggle to balance their parental duties with their personal lives. Meanwhile, Park and Morgan try to find the time and space to reignite their romance amidst the demands of parenthood and work, and Lim's mother makes a surprise visit.

• Like 1

Glassman and Lim's mom hitting it off. That should be interesting... 

Totally thought Jerome was going to use his video chat moment with Asher to propose at the end. Probably wouldn't be as romantic, though, as being there in person. I do feel that's coming soon, though. 

I liked the case with Jordan and her friend. Their interaction was sweet, and I liked Jordan's interactions with Jared as well. I do htink he has something of a point about the types of men she tends to be drawn to, but I also understand why she reacted as she did to that assessment, too. I liked them having dinner together, and the ending with them was a nice touch as well. 

The case with the couple was sad - wrapped up a little more neatly than they were making it seem like it would, but I am glad that they were able to figure out what was really wrong with the guy. Even if you know long-term care in that kind of situation would be beneficial, I still get why his wife was reluctant to go there - the whole "makes it more real/official" thing and all. 

• Like 5

Tonight's episode was all about reminding couples that having a baby changes things!  For Shaun and Lea, it was about them no longer having personal time for them to just have a date night (episode title!) or hang like they use to.  And even when they do get a sitter with Jordan, both of them still can't enjoy it since Steve is always on their mind.  Still, it's good that both are acknowledging this and are on the same page with where their goals are.  Having a baby does change things, but barely speaking with one another isn't healthy long-term, so I'm glad they are at least back to constant communication, even if carefree nights of karaoke and tequila are no longer thing (then again, they changed the brand apparently.  Boo!)

Meanwhile, Park and Reznick are dealing with the classic obstacle of having an active sex life going forward.  Office sex is off the table (pun intended?) due to interruptions and the storage room closet will likely be off limits after they almost destroyed half of the supplies, but they found a solution that was always destined for them: car sex right after they have an argument.  Oh, you two!

Certainly looks like they are hinting at a possible Jordan/Jared romance as well.  We'll see how this goes.  Right now, it kind of feels like a case of them realizing these two characters don't have a love life, so why not?  Maybe they'll surprise me.

I knew the stuff with Asher/Jerome was going to be a misunderstanding, but I figured it was going to be a classic tale of them forgetting about the time difference, and missing one another that way.  Instead it was a combination of jet lag and a dead cellphone!

Both cases were solid.  Interesting seeing Erinn Hayes as the wife of Shaun's patient, because I'm use to her mainly from comedy roles.

Both of the newbies had fine showings here and seem to work well with the respected doctors.  That said, while Park did seem to simply be more supportive towards Charlie, I noticed she was suddenly more behaved around him compared to Shaun.  No constant interruptions or backtalk this go around.  Not sure if that was intentional or not noticed from a writing standpoint.  Still think Shaun was a major dick last week (and will be back at it next week), but it seemed to show that Charlie can tone it down compared to how she acted in the past.

Great seeing Bess Armstrong as Lim's mom.  And... she seems to be hitting it off with Glassman.  Man, I cannot wait to see Lim's reaction to this!  Hell, just go all out: have them get married and Lim has to deal with Glassy as her stepfather!  And don't stop there!  In the show with a major flash-forward where Steve and Eve marry, so that almost half of the gang become an actual family by the end of this!

• Like 2
(edited)

So, uh, two three things:
1. They started to write Charlie better this episode - is it that when they have her with Shaun, they want to have an autism fight or whatever? Or is it because she wasn't in the episode much? I did like when she turned around and said "You two like each other!" Her face afterwards was great

2. HOW BIG ARE THE SUPPLY CLOSETS AT THIS HOSPITAL? That was a gigantic supply closet - they probably could've fit at least 1 or 2 patient rooms in there!

3. Hahaha Glassman and Lim's mom should be fun. I was hoping that Glassman would say that Shaun is almost like his son when talking to her, though.

I just hope this show doesn't end on a flashforward like New Amsterdam.

Edited by bros402
  • Like 3

Word to the wise: if you have a medical condition that has led to you being hospitalized and almost dying because the staff misdiagnosed you and you couldn't tell them what was happening: WEAR A MEDIC ALERT BRACELET!

https://www.medicalert.org/

Emergency workers are supposed to check for them, and it's really simple. 

---

I didn't understand why the guy with the tumors that were causing him to lose his hearing was saying he didn't want to risk losing his hearing from removing the tumors that had already impaired his hearing and were going to continue to do so and get worse and also kill him. 

---

Park and Resnik can afford to rent a hotel if all their problem was that they needed a place away from their baby. Or, you know, use some other room in their house. But I guess the real problem was that they like conflict.

---

Charlie was completely different this week. I think if she acted this way with Shaun, he would not have been so annoyed by her. So it's totally weird that she is blaming him for not believing in her as though nothing has changed.

---

I know it's not realistic, but I've been relieved they aren't killing off the patients this season. I'm maxed out on misery. So, since this show was never about realism, I'm actually appreciating that they doctors are questioning diagnoses and looking for innovative solutions. As someone with a complicated medical history, I wish more doctors would persist when things gt confusing, and think outside their boxes. It's a total TV fantasy, but this week I"m deciding to regard it as aspirational, and also as a bit of a critique of the terrible system we have that doesn't always do that and is driven by cost and everybody being in a hurry.

---

I don't know what to make of Lim hating her mother. Does she actually need help? Or does her mom just get all her self-esteem from being a caregiver and smothering people? Unclear. 

What is clear is that she and Glassman had a nice time. I'm not his biggest fan, but he was good with her, and if she doesn't leave town I figure that will exacerbate the problem between her and Lim.

---

Kalu definitely has a thing for Jordan. I notice he's trying to take care of her, though. So is he's just reversing the role, and he's also a caregiver type? Does he like a woman who he dominates? He was basically negging her for not liking olives, for godsake! I love olives, but his tone with her was really condescending. Olives are not for everyone, okay? Let her know herself and stop trying to convince her she doesn't!

---

The other newbie didn't seem bothered by blood this week. Unexplained magic! 

---

• Like 4
9 hours ago, bros402 said:

I was hoping that Glassman would say that Shaun is almost like his son when talking to her, though.

Yeah, that was disappointing and I felt sad that he didn't say that. Is his relationship with Shaun so damaged that he doesn't think of it that way anymore? I thought they had repaired that. Also, expected Shaun and Lea to leave Steve with Grandpa Aaron when they went on their date. 

I can handwave him not mentioning Shaun to Audrey's mother because it's a little complicated-- not a formal adoption, makes for a long story-- and he was trying to keep things simple. But it was still disappointing.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

Word to the wise: if you have a medical condition that has led to you being hospitalized and almost dying because the staff misdiagnosed you and you couldn't tell them what was happening: WEAR A MEDIC ALERT BRACELET!

https://www.medicalert.org/

Emergency workers are supposed to check for them, and it's really simple. 

---

I didn't understand why the guy with the tumors that were causing him to lose his hearing was saying he didn't want to risk losing his hearing from removing the tumors that had already impaired his hearing and were going to continue to do so and get worse and also kill him. 

---

Park and Resnik can afford to rent a hotel if all their problem was that they needed a place away from their baby. Or, you know, use some other room in their house. But I guess the real problem was that they like conflict.

---

Charlie was completely different this week. I think if she acted this way with Shaun, he would not have been so annoyed by her. So it's totally weird that she is blaming him for not believing in her as though nothing has changed.

---

I know it's not realistic, but I've been relieved they aren't killing off the patients this season. I'm maxed out on misery. So, since this show was never about realism, I'm actually appreciating that they doctors are questioning diagnoses and looking for innovative solutions. As someone with a complicated medical history, I wish more doctors would persist when things gt confusing, and think outside their boxes. It's a total TV fantasy, but this week I"m deciding to regard it as aspirational, and also as a bit of a critique of the terrible system we have that doesn't always do that and is driven by cost and everybody being in a hurry.

---

I don't know what to make of Lim hating her mother. Does she actually need help? Or does her mom just get all her self-esteem from being a caregiver and smothering people? Unclear. 

What is clear is that she and Glassman had a nice time. I'm not his biggest fan, but he was good with her, and if she doesn't leave town I figure that will exacerbate the problem between her and Lim.

---

Kalu definitely has a thing for Jordan. I notice he's trying to take care of her, though. So is he's just reversing the role, and he's also a caregiver type? Does he like a woman who he dominates? He was basically negging her for not liking olives, for godsake! I love olives, but his tone with her was really condescending. Olives are not for everyone, okay? Let her know herself and stop trying to convince her she doesn't!

---

The other newbie didn't seem bothered by blood this week. Unexplained magic! 

---

Yup - I bought a medical ID bracelet from Lauren's Hope before traveling at the start of the month! I also carried a sheet on me with my medications, medical conditions, and doctor contact info.

Yeah, tumor guy confused me too.

I wish that whoever wrote Charlie this week had been writing her since the start - this is great material (comparatively) for Kayla Cromer! This is what I want to see her do on this show! I hope that for the final 6 episodes (assuming she is on it through the end - I did see she was credited as a guest star), we get this version of Charlie! I hope Kayla Cromer gets something good after this that actually respect autism (Or maybe she'll go for a non-autistic role - I was reading Lillian Carrier talking about how some autistic actors are trying to get NT roles to prove that autistic actors don't need to be pigeonholed into only playing autistic characters)

I think the writing staff, collectively, just has problems with their mothers. Have any of the characters had genuinely good mothers? I think even Lea's wasn't that good?

Obviously being around Shaun's autism cured his hemophobia?

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, that was disappointing and I felt sad that he didn't say that. Is his relationship with Shaun so damaged that he doesn't think of it that way anymore? I thought they had repaired that. Also, expected Shaun and Lea to leave Steve with Grandpa Aaron when they went on their date. 

I can handwave him not mentioning Shaun to Audrey's mother because it's a little complicated-- not a formal adoption, makes for a long story-- and he was trying to keep things simple. But it was still disappointing.

I also expected them to leave Steve with Glassman - but it ended up they wanted it to tee up Jordan and Kalu for being together at the end of the series.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, that was disappointing and I felt sad that he didn't say that. Is his relationship with Shaun so damaged that he doesn't think of it that way anymore?

It is just another writer's fumble. When the scene or plot is not about their relationship, they ignore it

I liked Charlie in the episode too. She didn't correct all intrusive quirks but the interactions were well written enough that I ca go out on a limb and see her thinking about a situation before being indiscreet on personal matters.

Besides, her comments on personal matters of doctors in front of patients is very mainstream for TV medical dramas

Can a benign tumor grow so big that it will kill someone? I thought this alone is not a reason to operate. Observe and wait for a decision so drastic. And please! "I might be going deaf but I will not go deaf to save my life" What?

I liked the story about the couple only because I like those graphics when Shaun is working the solution, and his reaction to it. Don't care if it is far-fetched,  I just like that in the show

Now, Jordan saying to a patient that god wants him to live was way out of line. Even in religious hospitals they avoid this. They do ask about religion but don't mention god in the middle of a medical diagnosis. As an atheist, it irks me

• Like 3
7 hours ago, circumvent said:

Can a benign tumor grow so big that it will kill someone?

Yes-- in particular, anything that presses on the brain can cause serious problems. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22121-benign-tumor

I can't remember if the show said what kind of tumor it was, but look at the meningioma section of the above article, for an example.

They can also cause blockages-- just by pressing on something, they can occlude circulation-- or cause pain and mess up all kinds of stuff.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

I liked Charlie in the episode too. She didn't correct all intrusive quirks but the interactions were well written enough that I ca go out on a limb and see her thinking about a situation before being indiscreet on personal matters.

Besides, her comments on personal matters of doctors in front of patients is very mainstream for TV medical dramas

Can a benign tumor grow so big that it will kill someone? I thought this alone is not a reason to operate. Observe and wait for a decision so drastic. And please! "I might be going deaf but I will not go deaf to save my life" What?

Yeah - she just felt like she was masking enough for the workplace (as much as it sucks that she has to mask, most autistics need to mask in a professional environment) while still stimming a bit. I hope that we get her and the hemophobic med student together on a case - since in the first episode with them, we did see him nudge her when she was being inapproprate.

Benign only means it isn't going to spread to other parts of the body (and that it doesn't look irregular). 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I can't remember if the show said what kind of tumor it was, but look at the meningioma section of the above article, for an example.

I have a meningioma but it is calcified.

I can understand the need to operate, I guess it is just one of those "right now" things that the show loves so much that annoys me. But the creativity ib=n the writers room is limited to super drama, I should expect

On 3/27/2024 at 12:07 AM, possibilities said:

He was basically negging her for not liking olives, for godsake! I love olives, but his tone with her was really condescending. Olives are not for everyone, okay? Let her know herself and stop trying to convince her she doesn't!

I despise olives. You could deep fry them and serve them with bacon and I'd still turn my nose up at them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 3/26/2024 at 9:26 PM, thuganomics85 said:

That said, while Park did seem to simply be more supportive towards Charlie, I noticed she was suddenly more behaved around him compared to Shaun.  No constant interruptions or backtalk this go around.  Not sure if that was intentional or not noticed from a writing standpoint.  Still think Shaun was a major dick last week (and will be back at it next week), but it seemed to show that Charlie can tone it down compared to how she acted in the past.

She still got a bit unprofessional encouraging the patient to ask Jordan out. But Charlie was a lot more likeable this episode. Mostly more amusing than annoying. I hope that trend continues. It seems like maybe she and Shaun just bring out the worst in each other.

Glassman and Lim’s mom do seem to be hitting it off, but it would be so cliche if they start dating. Just because they’re around the same age doesn’t necessarily mean they have a lot in common.

Speaking of cliches, attempted sex in the supply closet—what is this, Grey’s Anatomy? Are we going to have lots of elevator conversations now too? Or someone’s panties tacked to a bulletin board?

• Like 5
5 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

She still got a bit unprofessional encouraging the patient to ask Jordan out. But Charlie was a lot more likeable this episode. Mostly more amusing than annoying. I hope that trend continues. It seems like maybe she and Shaun just bring out the worst in each other.

Glassman and Lim’s mom do seem to be hitting it off, but it would be so cliche if they start dating. Just because they’re around the same age doesn’t necessarily mean they have a lot in common.

Speaking of cliches, attempted sex in the supply closet—what is this, Grey’s Anatomy? Are we going to have lots of elevator conversations now too? Or someone’s panties tacked to a bulletin board?

I mean the closet WAS large enough - maybe it had a portal to Narnia the hospital on Grey's Anatomy in it?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

please no!  i have no interest in seeing these 2 trying to have sexy time - they have no chemistry and it's just a waste of time

It was all tied up a bit too neatly at the end, but I am really glad they realized that the guy didn't actually have  and they could help him, that's just such an awful series of events for one couple to deal with. Wife almost dies of aggressive cancer, then seeming right after the husband gets extremely early onset Alzheimer's before 40 just as she gets pregnant then she almost terminates the baby they clearly wanted because of the terrible circumstances, what mummy did these two anger to get that kind of curse? 

Lim's face when she realizes that she accidently set up her mom and Glassman because she didn't want to go on a short shopping trip with her is going to be priceless. 

• Like 3