Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Judgment Day

• Start Topic

gITyAjLsCcyCsID5iOnQJPNADJb.jpg

As threat levels rise, a secret mission to retrieve enemy intel ventures into dangerous territory. An ominous message reaches Earth.

Premiere Date: March 21, 2024    Netflix    

main-photo-2023-11-10t162108-591.jpg

Oh, wow, the destruction of the ship was very well-done! And the visuals at the end were great too.

I'm enjoying the show, but the writing is a bit forgettable. I mean, lots of interesting things are happening, but the way the characters talk about them isn't exactly gripping. I don't blame the actors, who are mostly doing a great job, especially the older ones. 

• Like 8
(edited)

Okay, new day. I'm going to try to be more positive.

-

Those nano fibers are ridiculous... hard scifi...

-

Why would the aliens divolge the plan? Are they stupid? Even if they are incapable of lying (which I doubt), they could just shut up.

Quantum entanglement does not circumvent the speed limit of the universe. Even information between two quantum entangled particles only propagates at the speed of light. Meaning these computers would work with 4 years of lag for every operation... hard... scifi...

Putting that aside, yeah it's not hard to accelerate a proton close to the speed of light. But how do you slow it down? How does it even move? How does it influence anything? It's a damn proton, it has no arms or legs. It's nice that it's in extra dimensions, but that wouldn't help it influence our dimensions.

-

Okay, let's put aside that quantum entanglement doesn't allow for FTL communication and that these computers couldn't move or do anything and thus this is all bullshit. How do these two computers supposedly change the sky? Previously it was said that technology like hubble didn't actually record a change. So I guess they are manipulating human perception, but how can two computers supposedly change the perception of all humans on earth? Also if they can do that, couldn't they just kill all humans? Wouldn't that be easier?

-

Maybe I just need to get over everybody calling this hard scifi and just accept that it's about as realistic as Star Wars.

Guess I failed with the whole being more positive thing... I will say, this is still super pretty, well shot and amazingly acted. That is keeping me watching. It's just also sooooo stupid.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 5
21 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Okay, new day. I'm going to try to be more positive.

-

Those nano fibers are ridiculous... hard scifi...

-

Why would the aliens divolge the plan? Are they stupid? Even if they are incapable of lying (which I doubt), they could just shut up.

Quantum entanglement does not circumvent the speed limit of the universe. Even information between two quantum entangled particles only propagates at the speed of light. Meaning these computers would work with 4 years of lag for every operation... hard... scifi...

Putting that aside, yeah it's not hard to accelerate a proton close to the speed of light. But how do you slow it down? How does it even move? How does it influence anything? It's a damn proton, it has no arms or legs. It's nice that it's in extra dimensions, but that wouldn't help it influence our dimensions.

-

Okay, let's put aside that quantum entanglement doesn't allow for FTL communication, these computers couldn't move or do anything and thus this is all bullshit. How do these two computers supposedly change the sky? Previously it was said that technology like hubble didn't actually record a change. So I guess they are manipulating human perception, but how can two computers supposedly change the perception of all humans on earth? Also if they can do that, couldn't they just kill all humans? Wouldn't that be easier?

-

Maybe I just need to get over everybody calling this hard scifi and just accept that it's about as realistic as Star Wars.

Guess I failed with the whole being more positive thing... I will say, this is still super pretty, well shot and amazingly acted. That is keeping me watching. It's just also sooooo stupid.

I’m not a scientist, but it’s reminding me of V. Where they have collaborators and fuel mistrust in scientists, because they knew that scientists would figure out their secret, and find a way to defeat them. 
it still bothers me that this brilliant young woman, decided to call in aliens, when she had been told that they were dangerous, and became a “true believing” cult leader.  They are no more noble than we are.  

6 minutes ago, Anela said:

I’m not a scientist, but it’s reminding me of V. Where they have collaborators and fuel mistrust in scientists, because they knew that scientists would figure out their secret, and find a way to defeat them. 
it still bothers me that this brilliant young woman, decided to call in aliens, when she had been told that they were dangerous, and became a “true believing” cult leader.  They are no more noble than we are.  

But they have the ability to manipulate our scienctific machinery, making all our experiments useless. And through human agents, they even have the ability to kill inconvenient scientists.

It would have been better for them to just stay in the shadows and continue what they were doing, with humans wondering for 400 years what the hell was going on. Instead they made an elaborate video game (which btw. does seem like it involved story telling, or lying, something they supposedly didn't understand), to tell us all about their plans. That's just dumb.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

But they have the ability to manipulate our scienctific machinery, making all our experiments useless. And through human agents, they even have the ability to kill inconvenient scientists.

It would have been better for them to just stay in the shadows and continue what they were doing, with humans wondering for 400 years what the hell was going on. Instead they made an elaborate video game (which btw. does seem like it involved story telling, or lying, something they supposedly didn't understand), to tell us all about their plans. That's just dumb.

I don’t understand why they believe that they don’t lie. It is stupid.  

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Anela said:

I don’t understand why they believe that they don’t lie. It is stupid.  

Yeah. On the other hand, if they were good at lying and subterfuge, this whole story would make even less sense. On the other other hand it doesn't make any sense anyway. I wonder if the source material makes just as little sense or if this is yet another case of D&D not understanding the source material and changing things that are important to the story. I might actually have to pick up the books after I'm done with this season. Hopefully they'll make me rage less.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 9:13 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

The stakes have certainly been raised, but common sense and logic have left the building. But we're too far in to stop watching now.. 

What was the point of the AI telling the humans of their entire plan?

The talk of humans advancing faster than the aliens in 400 years makes no sense: the aliens in the spaceships headed to Earth are not being affected by the 3 sun problem anymore .. the spaceship aliens can monitor human tech progress and can improve their own advanced tech ..  so dumb..

Edited by shrewd.buddha
clarification
  • Like 3
(edited)

The destruction of the Judgement Day ship was
a) impressive
b) a ridiculously over-engineered plan
c) brutal and merciless (lots scenes of innocent, playful children)  
d) no guarantee that usable data would survive
e) a mess that would leave the below-water half of the ship, and fuel, in the Panama Canal channel
f) a nice special effect .. so, worth it ??

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4
(edited)

One of the things I’m enjoying about this show is a complete lack of gender politics. The world is so full of brilliant female scientists and engineers it’s not even commented upon. (I don’t know if some of the book characters got gender swapped). In this way 3 Body reminds me of For All Mankind after the first season.

Apologies if this was explained and I missed it: how is communication with the radio thing instantaneous if messages back and forth would take four years? Is it an AI or some quantum entanglement hand wavy thing?

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

The talk of humans advancing faster than the aliens in 400 years makes no sense: the aliens in the spaceships headed to Earth are not being affected by the 3 sun problem anymore .. the spaceship aliens can monitor human tech progress and can improve their own advanced tech ..  so dumb..

Maybe they are is suspended animation? Give me 400 years and I’ll figure out how to build a warp drive or a Stargate thing.

6 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

a) impressive
d) no guarantee that usable data would survive
e) a mess that would leave the below-water half of the ship, and fuel, in the Panama Canal channel

g) unnecessary

Just throw a big bomb on it, when it's in somewhat shallow waters, for god's sake. It's about as likely that you'll recover something usable from that wreck as from the sliced ship.

1 hour ago, marinw said:

Apologies if this was explained and I missed it: how is communication with the radio thing instantaneous if messages back and forth would take four years? Is it an AI or some quantum entanglement hand wavy thing?

Explained in later episodes, though not well.

15 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

They probably wouldn't have the resources to do a lot of science on their ships. Though most stayed behind and it seems to be a stable era at the moment. So yeah, they should be able to keep up a lead. Unless their population is much smaller. That might slow progress if there isn't general AI that can do tasks for them.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah I'm curious how sophons changed the sky.

They work at the sub-atomic level!

So they can change other matter quickly and disrupt all electronics all over the world?

That is how they scrubbed Tatiana from surveillance videos, you know super sub-atomic particle just changing pixels or getting into Auggie's optic nerve to impose the countdown?

But there are only two of them yet they can pretty much paralyze the earth, like say take out the power grid of whole continents which would pretty much lead to them spiraling from a modern civilized society into barbarism?

Davos was a boss but Wade is a bossy arsehole.  Maybe that's what the earth needs but you would think regardless of which secret UK agency he works for, organizing a planetary defense would be way above his pay grade.

You'd think it would be some American who eventually is put in charge.

But he didn't trust Raj or Auggie, told each of them to double check the other's work.

So nano fibers are apparently virtually invisible except they have infinite tensile strength?

It's sub-molecular!

I'm guessing they find a way to cure the cancer of the one guy?  Or maybe after this season, the cast turns over except they somehow find a way to get a couple of characters to be around way beyond their lifespans to still lead the cause.

Saul is suppose to be a brilliant scientist but every other scene he's in, he's hitting  the weed.  Have we seen him do any science?

Speaking of gender politics, yeah the brilliant scientists and engineers are women.  Wade questioned whether Auggie would be ruthless enough to kill to accomplish the mission.  So Jin will be tested?  But just as Wade wouldn't be leading the effort, I would think they'd call in all the best scientists, many of them much older and probably male, instead of relying just on Jin to come up with some science-based strategies.  She's a theoretician on multi-dimensional worlds yet she's going to problem-solve a technological deficit?

• Like 3

One of the things that really annoyed me was the cynical approach of "let's (brutally) kill innocent people and children for the greater good".  
I don't know if they followed the book in this one or they just wanted an impressive horrific mass killing sequence, I wouldn't surprised if it was the latter.
They get into so much trouble for nano technology attack to slice everyone in pieces instead of maybe use other means, like gas and put everyone in the ship to sleep?   
In any case, this approach is horrible  and quite used on TV and makes me wondering how much it has affected people tolerating same situations happening in real life. We seem to be ok/get used to it/shrug with massive loss of innocent lives.

• Like 4
On 3/22/2024 at 5:54 PM, Helena Dax said:

I'm enjoying the show, but the writing is a bit forgettable. I mean, lots of interesting things are happening, but the way the characters talk about them isn't exactly gripping.

I'm finding the show a slog to get through. The premise is intriguing, but the characters are not. In fact they are quite boring. The entire story of Will having pancreatic cancer and inheriting Rooney's fortune seemed like a pointless waste of time. Auggie is boring, she is entirely one-note and I know next to nothing about her. 

Now, the ship getting sliced to ribbons with the nano-fibers was pretty cool, I'll admit. But it didn't make a lot of sense compared to easier options. 

• Like 3
On 3/22/2024 at 9:48 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

I'm not convinced that the aliens on the way to Earth ("Our Lord") are the same aliens/party who made the video game interfaces. I may just be stupid. 

On 3/24/2024 at 7:53 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

a) impressive

LOL. Yes, there had to be 20 different, simpler ways to get that data disk. I admire the show for wanting to give us that visual, which was awesome. But I was chuckling for a lot of it because it was such an over-the-top solution. 

On 3/30/2024 at 11:41 AM, Zaffy said:

One of the things that really annoyed me was the cynical approach of "let's (brutally) kill innocent people and children for the greater good".  

I actually liked it, because it is part of the whole "who really are the good guys here?" theme. I sure as heck can't tell, yet. Maybe humans are indeed no longer capable of rising above our limitations. Or maybe the aliens suck. Or maybe the guys with the nanofiber are acting like good guys but are not ... maybe they just work for other aliens. I really don't know.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:47 AM, iMonrey said:

The entire story of Will having pancreatic cancer and inheriting Rooney's fortune seemed like a pointless waste of time.

It feels like the guy with cancer is going to be tempted by a miracle cure soon, to help one side or the other. And the money will be key.

I'm really enjoying the visuals and way this show is shot overall. The scene on the beach, the canal, the video game, all really drew me in.

2 hours ago, Ottis said:

I'm not convinced that the aliens on the way to Earth ("Our Lord") are the same aliens/party who made the video game interfaces. I may just be stupid. 

No, they are. The video game was made by the same cult. I guess the aliens, who sent the "I'm a pacifist on this planet" message, could be different aliens, but that wouldn't make sense since they'd also have to be within about 4 light years.

• Like 2

Pretty convenient how the ship veered off course all the way onto the ground so as to not disrupt traffic in the Panama Canal for the next few weeks/months.

If the last level of the video game was the "grand plan reveal", what was the point of the earlier levels? Fake sympathy for their plight?

• Like 2
On 3/24/2024 at 4:53 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

IMO this whole show is special effects. 

• Like 1