Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Long Time Gone

• Start Topic

thewayhome-ep5-3038-rt.jpg

Founder's Day in Port Haven brings up memories for Del, Alice and Elliot; Kat finds herself caught between two worlds in her search for answers.

Premiere Date: February 25, 2024      Hallmark   9 pm 
thewayhome-ep5-3562-rt.jpg

thewayhome-ep5-2832-rt.jpg

Del still being rude to Mr Handsome Neighbor.

The further this goes, the less I like Elliott. Was his father an alcoholic or just a jerk?  I feel like most of those Eastern seaboard towns were fishing-centric in the early days, so why was his father being such a baby about not being a farmer?

Either way, Elliott has no idea what Kat has been going through but he was so quick to accuse her of "ruining" Suzanna's life.  Seems that the Augstine genes were a better quality back in the day.

Now we know who painted My Katherine. And obvi there is something brewing there.  Kat has way more chemistry with that guy than she does with Elliott.

The clothes Kat dug up-bad writing, meant to alarm us. 20 some odd years later, in that climate, they’d be unrecognizable. They looked as if they were buried yesterday. Understandable to get rid of the modern clothing. The ship Jacob delivered must have been for the US navy..why? More money makes no sense as at that time the US was flat broke. 

• Like 1

This show has a lot of promise, but JEEEEEEEEEEEZE, both seasons have felt like it was just treading water until we moved a half inch on the Jacob front. 

Every fight Kat and Elliott has feels manufactured as hell. I get where she's coming from, but Kat sounded like a crazy person, going on and on about the past to Elliott during their dance. 

I also don't get what's up with the Goodwin kid and Alice's new love interest who just sort of pops up every now and then.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Daff said:

The clothes Kat dug up-bad writing, meant to alarm us.

I don’t even understand why we’re supposed to be alarmed by this. We know Jacob is there somewhere and we know he came in modern clothes. So?…

Also, why are the clothes buried in a farm field? If they wanted to get rid of them, why not just burn them? If they didn’t want to destroy them, why not just stash them in the cellar or storage shed or whatever, I don’t get that at all.

Which brings me to them mucking around in a barren field. It’s the first day of harvest. Shouldn’t they be picking plants?

They're doing a bangup job of making Kat and Elliott an unpalatable potential couple if they’re going for Kat and that Thomas Coyle guy (who I hadn’t even realized was the one who shot her until she said so), because Elliott is being a huge pill about all of this. Just leave town again, dude, if this time travel shit is such a huge problem for you.

49 minutes ago, jmonique said:

I also don't get what's up with the Goodwin kid and Alice's new love interest who just sort of pops up every now and then.

I guess they’re trying to give Alice some friends in present day? Though she’s barely talked to Casey at all, so maybe it’s just about food truck guy being a love interest that’s actually viable. Casey has been relatively pointless so far, only existing to be horrified about family history. Well, history is ugly, Casey, I don’t know why you’re surprised.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, bunnyface said:

Well, swell.  She just got her long-lost brother arrested by the British.  Smooth move, Kat.

I think they were there ready to arrest him no matter what, but screaming his name really seemed a bit crazy. Jacob hasn't seen her in 24 years, who knows what memories he has, and she definitely looks different. I'm sure he didn't get to do an age-progressed drawing of her. Maybe wait until he is on land and approach him in private?

6 hours ago, DMK said:

I don’t even understand why we’re supposed to be alarmed by this. We know Jacob is there somewhere and we know he came in modern clothes. So?…

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Maybe if she found the clothes before talking to anyone she could have thought Jacob died. But she knew he didn't, and two seconds later we hear about the ship being back.

Looks like a romance brewing between Kat and Thomas Coyle. Him painting her makes much more sense than Jacob calling his sister "My Katherine."

I took Kat finding the clothing to be confirmation that her Jacob really did end up there, in that time. Not as something to be alarmed by. Though I assumed Jacob was the one who buried his clothes to hide his secret, and considering how young he was originally, it would explain why they weren't buried well and deeper. However, that should also mean that the clothing should have been discovered way before now considering the farming they do every year. 

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I think they were there ready to arrest him no matter what, but screaming his name really seemed a bit crazy. Jacob hasn't seen her in 24 years, who knows what memories he has, and she definitely looks different. 

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Maybe if she found the clothes before talking to anyone she could have thought Jacob died. But she knew he didn't, and two seconds later we hear about the ship being back.

I agree, they knew it was Jacob and not Thomas so they were going to get him either way.

I think the thing about the clothes was just finally confirming to Kat that it is in fact HER Jacob.  She was reasonably certain but this was a 100% confirmation.  I think she just didn't want anyone to see because she didn't want any questions.

(ETA posted at the same time as Eyewatch)

Edited by sskrill
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, bunnyface said:

Well, swell.  She just got her long-lost brother arrested by the British.  Smooth move, Kat.

How many times can she see that messing with the past doesn't work?

I still enjoy the show.

30 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I took Kat finding the clothing to be confirmation that her Jacob really did end up there, in that time. Not as something to be alarmed by.

26 minutes ago, sskrill said:

I think the thing about the clothes was just finally confirming to Kat that it is in fact HER Jacob.  She was reasonably certain but this was a 100% confirmation. 

Ok, that works for me. Y’all are right, up to that point, she wasn’t 100% sure that the Jacob she was waiting for was her brother. It could have still been some random orphan kid that had wandered in. It’s not like Jacob is an uncommon name, especially back then. So she found the clothes and then saw him in the boat, looking like her computer aged picture and was definitely sure.

37 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I assumed Jacob was the one who buried his clothes to hide his secret, and considering how young he was originally, it would explain why they weren't buried well and deeper.

I don’t know, I don’t think he was old enough to have the sense to hide his origins like that so quickly. Even Kat didn’t have the sense to change her clothes the first couple times.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Jacob hasn't seen her in 24 years, who knows what memories he has, and she definitely looks different.

Jacob does have a memory of the adult Kat. She found him during a town celebration when he was walking home. She didn’t identify herself as his sister (back from the future would have alarmed him). She walked him home and seemingly watched him go in the house and that was the night he disappeared.

5 hours ago, sskrill said:

I think she just didn't want anyone to see because she didn't want any questions.

I did laugh at her attempt to hide the sneaker. “What manner of footwear can this be?” (Bright red Converse from the 1990s). I think they’d know what rubber was at the time (maybe), but not used by a cobbler.

7 hours ago, Daff said:

Jacob does have a memory of the adult Kat. She found him during a town celebration when he was walking home. She didn’t identify herself as his sister (back from the future would have alarmed him). She walked him home and seemingly watched him go in the house and that was the night he disappeared.

Yeah, and since he knows he time traveled to get there, seeing adult Kat wouldn’t be entirely a surprise. I wonder, though, did Jacob try to go back to his time through the pond and it wouldn’t let him?

7 hours ago, Daff said:

I did laugh at her attempt to hide the sneaker. “What manner of footwear can this be?” (Bright red Converse from the 1990s). I think they’d know what rubber was at the time (maybe), but not used by a cobbler.

Rubber was around but it was soft. Vulcanization, which allowed it to be hardened and used in shoes and tires, was not invented yet.

26 minutes ago, DMK said:

I wonder, though, did Jacob try to go back to his time through the pond and

Maybe Isaiah kept him away from the pond?

38 minutes ago, DMK said:

Yeah, and since he knows he time traveled to get there, seeing adult Kat wouldn’t be entirely a surprise. I wonder, though, did Jacob try to go back to his time through the pond and it wouldn’t let him?

Rubber was around but it was soft. Vulcanization, which allowed it to be hardened and used in shoes and tires, was not invented yet.

I wondered about that too.  "I got here through this, I wanna go home!"  But we did get one brief scene of him standing by the pond with an older woman and she said something along the lines "I know this place calls to you but you must not go in."  So maybe they kept him from going in until he grew up and kinda forgot?  Not that he would totally forget but as we age, memories from childhood become dimmer.  

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, Daff said:

True, but since he doesn't know that was Kat, he may not be relieved at seeing her. He may not even remember since it was a brief meeting when he was 8 and she was just some adult who walked him home.

12 hours ago, DMK said:

Jacob was younger than Alice when she first time travelled. He seemed like a smart kid, but a child who falls into a pond and wakes up in a vastly different time think to try going back in the pond? He probably thought he was going insane when he went home and it was the 1700s. Maybe by the time he thought to try, the pond wasn't working anymore?

No one has mentioned Kat, with her ridiculously gigantic button seeing Susanna and Coyle at the present day founder’s celebration. I keep pondering over it. Was it her imagination, or were they really there?

3 hours ago, Daff said:

No one has mentioned Kat, with her ridiculously gigantic button seeing Susanna and Coyle at the present day founder’s celebration. I keep pondering over it. Was it her imagination, or were they really there?

I'm going with imagination.  When she looked again, they were gone.  Didn't Elliot see his dad too?  Also, if Susanna and Coyle were really there, I think they'd be looking around like "wtf is going on here?" instead of simply staring at her.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

I'm going with imagination.  When she looked again, they were gone.  Didn't Elliot see his dad too?  Also, if Susanna and Coyle were really there, I think they'd be looking around like "wtf is going on here?" instead of simply staring at her.  

Elliot’s vision was obviously a flashback, (embarrassing at the time), and made him ad lib a new speech. I’m wondering if Susanna and Coyle have been to other founder’s day celebrations. Their dress would allow them to wander unnoticed, as some attendees came in period costume. Could be as simple as you say, but I can’t help but ruminate over it. 

9 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I thought it was her imagination, didn't they disappear after a minute? And in an earlier episode, Alice kept seeing young Kat and Elliot hanging around present day. So it could be a side effect of time travel.

(edited)
On 2/26/2024 at 9:01 AM, jmonique said:

Do we not think the girl is from another time? The way she pops in and out and has unconfirmed connections to the town reminds me of Alice, so I’m assuming it’s her daughter. Unless anyone else has been shown to interact with her, and I missed it (likely…this season has been a snooze for me).

Edited by RedInk
On 3/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, RedInk said:

Do we not think the girl is from another time? The way she pops in and out and has unconfirmed connections to the town reminds me of Alice, so I’m assuming it’s her daughter. Unless anyone else has been shown to interact with her, and I missed it (likely…this season has been a snooze for me).

Ooh, Casey (they said they were non-binary) being Alice's child from the future would be interesting. They have interacted with others onscreen, both Kat and the lady that owns the restaurant, but that doesn't mean they aren't a time traveler. 

But, they did mention being asked to represent the Goodwin family at the Founder's Day thing, so that lady running it would have reason to trust them. Plus they were all upset about the Goodwins from 1800s doing bad things. So they do seem to be from that family line. There is something odd about their storyline though, maybey they'll be more important later.

• Useful 1
21 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Ooh, Casey (they said they were non-binary) being Alice's child from the future would be interesting. They have interacted with others onscreen, both Kat and the lady that owns the restaurant, but that doesn't mean they aren't a time traveler. 

But, they did mention being asked to represent the Goodwin family at the Founder's Day thing, so that lady running it would have reason to trust them. Plus they were all upset about the Goodwins from 1800s doing bad things. So they do seem to be from that family line. There is something odd about their storyline though, maybey they'll be more important later.

Ah! Thanks! Clearly I’m only half-paying attention. I just feel like someone will be repeating this cycle from the future, and Casey seemed modern enough/vaguely from “out of town” to be a contender 😉

• Like 1