Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: See You Next Apocalypse

• Start Topic

When a family refuses to evacuate their property during a massive wildfire that is escalating quickly, Jake is faced with a heartbreaking decision, on FIRE COUNTRY, Friday, March 1 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

letter-f.png.624d132dad047ae436580048508b50e8.png

I should be all over this, because I've said many times that Sharon and Vince are my two favourites.

...but, this episode is peak Fire Country.

We have an awkward episode where a character appears out of the blue just so the show can claim that Sharon had an off-screen incident with this character to create some drama where Vince questions her loyalty to him, Sharon questions his love for her and said character can have awkward tension (and a fistfight) with Vince all to have a story where we see that Sharon really, really, really NEEDS Vince or else she's just an overgrown, whiny, insufferable, baby.

I bet when the writer came up with this story, they thought it was a cute story...and it could have been if the writer and the writing staff bothered to actually put in the work necessary to make it work.

I'll give Jason O'Mara (working with his native Irish accent for a change) played the heck out of the role and the joke about Snake Shelton and Hissy Elliott was quite amusing (if a bit dated).

...but it's yet another example of this show manufacturing stories and trying to fit their characters into them instead of taking what the characters give them and letting the characters guide their stories.

Exploring how Sharon decides to go back to the front line and work under her husband- instead of the other way around last season- should be enough of a concept to really make some interesting dynamics. We saw this last week, when we saw Sharon's pride get hurt when Vince- rightly, I think- sent her home early.

That's something the show could have developed and showed how Vince and Sharon really navigate that new part of their dynamic.

They didn't need an awkward love triangle to make things interesting between the two, even if Vince's joke about a "betrayal scorecard" was as poignant as it was funny.

Like the rest of the characters, Vince and Sharon have plenty to explore if the show would just bother trying to explore it. No need to manufacture anything.

• Like 3

Countdown on how many episodes before Gabrielle ditches Diego for puppy eyes Bode.  I hope it is well before the wedding, although I suspect the writers think the latter would be more dramatic.  Or else have him die while fighting a fire.

• Like 3

I'm curious as to how the drone camera can see down through all that fire and smoke when people can't even see anything on the ground.

Bad advice, Manny.  Eve should not be playing fun games with the inmate crew in a bonding effort.  That way lies disaster.

I was waiting for Super Bode to break away from the crew and run through the fire to help guide the engine back to relative safety.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, buckboard said:

Countdown on how many episodes before Gabrielle ditches Diego for puppy eyes Bode.  I hope it is well before the wedding, although I suspect the writers think the latter would be more dramatic.  Or else have him die while fighting a fire.

We'll see the wedding, only for it to be revealed it was just Gabriella dreaming of that day. Then, the day before the wedding, there's a call. Diego heroically dies in the fire and we get several shots of Stephanie Arcilla trying to cry.

Then Bode comforts her and Gabby and Bode have a date in her wedding dress.

-End season-

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I was waiting for Super Bode to break away from the crew and run through the fire to help guide the engine back to relative safety.

I know, but then Bode would have had something to do in this episode, and the writers this year seem to think Bode doing things is bad.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Like 3

I know it would never happen but the lady refusing to leave and ordering everyone else to stay should have been who they put on the roof.

Sharon was really annoying driving the truck. Wasn't very leader like last year, she was freaking out like a rookie. 

Vince reaction of Liam being drone guy was funny. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, PupCal said:

Honestly, if I were Sharon, I would leave my husband for Liam in a second. That accent, mmm dreamy~!

She can just phone in then.

I haven't watched the episode because I am not prepared for the shit show. Not sure if I will even be ready for another one.

I tried to watch the episode but dozed off many times. I don't think I can continue watching this show. It is getting worse by the minute. I can try and ignore some bad writing in some shows but at least some of the writing needs to make sense. Nothing in this show makes any sense.

The premise is lost, we don't see inmates battling fires and risking their lives for very little reward.

The firefighters are always taking about personal issues int he middle of a "very dangerous fire". They could at lease make them work, being physical, while discussing their problems. The way it is, it is malpractice. 

Not even going to get into the kidney transplant bullshit

Gabriela is in some rotation as a medic but she performs complicated surgeris in a rig, with no support, all by herself. c'mon!

These people are supposed to be friends, but they are always feeling "so hurt" by any comment, then need to apologize to one another for some silly, infantile misunderstanding.

Bode broods or gets angry. Or gets angry brooding. Not a lot of depth.

Diane Farr overacts, in the same way the character overreacts (at least there is consistency). I mean, when Liam comes to the bar, he says something and she SCREAMS at him and pushed him away as if he had touched her or forced himself on her. 

Vince acts like a teenager and starts punching people

Bode, the inmate who should no be back on this selective group of chosen inmates who don't re-offend, is the boss. Vince "fires" drone guy, Bode ORDERS him to fly the drone.

Eve is the captain but she clearly doesn't have leadership skills. 

Bode MAY be a father, and his paternal instincts kick off immediately! Such a good boy he is! UGH

So there, nothing makes any sense. I think I am done watching this. 

• Like 4
On 3/1/2024 at 10:10 PM, buckboard said:

I hated that 'date'.  Sharon trying to come off all innocent, 'how could you misread this?' You don't spend 18 hour days pouring out your soul to someone and it never comes up that, hey, glad we can be friends as I work through my marital angst.

Gabriella is the one being inappropriate towards Bode.   He’s respecting her boundaries while still caring for her( but not acting on or speaking about  those feelings).  She’s showing up at the camp and getting all mad when anyone mentions his name to her.   

• Like 1