Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E14: Don't Be Fooled

• Start Topic

It's a race to the finale, as the chefs are faced with a Hell's Kitchen Grand Prix challenge with a twist. During dinner service, the chefs are put to the test to see if they have the attention to detail it takes to run a kitchen with a few tricks thrown in by Chef Ramsay. Tasked with impressing guest diners including NY Jets Solomon Thomas, Superstore's Lauren Ash, Hot One's Host Sean Evan and former Journey lead singer Jeff Scott Soto, find out which chefs will be taking a victory lap, and which ones will fall flat.

Airdate: 01/18/2024

I don't know why I am still watching this, other than the fact that I love all food shows.  The final 4 compete to see who has the most sad sob stories, rather than arguing who is the best chef.  Blecch.

• Like 2
(edited)

Tonight was the first time in a long time I just put HK on as background noise.  Sack of shit Jonathan still being there just pisses me off and I don’t even care about this season anymore.  It was obvious he was going to win the challenge when Gordon tasted his dish last.

Ryan talking back to Sammi on the lobster was BS.  He would have never done that to Gordon and I really wish Gordon called him out on it.  The lobster was under and he just couldn’t believe it.

I guess at this point I’m rooting for Sammi but I won’t be surprised when Gordon eliminates her next week.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, susannot said:

compete to see who has the most sad sob stories

Agreed, this has nothing to do with culinary performance, it is just fluff for people to be impressed by how complicated, dedicated and pitiful these people are,  and to pad out the show.

25 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Sack of shit Jonathan still being there just pisses me off

While I understand why Carmen got cut, I think it should have been a toss up between her and Jonathan - her for inexperience (and throwing Dahmere under the bus by lying about him that he never told her his meat item needed more time) while Jonathan has come so close to complete emotional break down (Daddy Gordon was mean to me! Wah wah) plus he missed the wrong fish at the pass.

25 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I just put HK on as background noise. 

Yeah, this episode was just boring. Part of it is the amount of irrelevant fluff that pads out the show and it often seems like the show is over loaded with commercials. Since I recorded this episode and I have a digital video editor, if I feel ambitious tomorrow I will actually map out the show versus commercials. 

Edited by DoctorK
punctuation is important

I think it sucks to eliminate someone for not being experienced enough for the job if their performance doesn't show that inexperience. And Carmen's performance didn't seemingly reflect her inexperience. Don't cast someone who effectively has no chance of winning!

Ryan IMO probably deserved to go this time around based on actual performance -- not only did he botch two lobsters, he talked smack to Carmen for calling him on it. If I were Ramsay, I wouldn't want someone who would give lip when he's wrong as my head chef.

I would love it if the Ryan vs. Jonathan finale that they've been foreshadowing at least two or three episodes gets derailed and Sammi competes with and preferably beats one of these arrogant jerks. Sadly, I think we are going to be stuck with Jonathan vs. Ryan, with Ryan taking the win so he can talk about how his American dream came true. 

• Like 2

Yes, Carmen wasn't my favorite but Ryan should have probably been eliminated and agree, I don't need to hear Johnathan making rude remarks about how Gordon makes him feel.

I'm guess I'm pulling for Sammi but I get the feeling she'll the first one out next epi.

Just a random question-if they have to tie back their hair while cooking, why doesn't Johnathon have to put a hair net over his beard?  

I would prefer Ryan or Sammi for the win over Johnathon as Johnathon really doesn't seem ready to lead a kitchen.  He is fine when winning but just can't take any criticism.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Just a random question-if they have to tie back their hair while cooking, why doesn't Johnathon have to put a hair net over his beard?  

This is a good point although I doubt that the culinary community will change current practice. I have a beard and mustache and both shed. Whenever I had to go into clean rooms (e.g., microchip fabrication facilities) I had to wear a cover for my hair, disposable covers over my shoes, and a beard guard; higher level clean rooms required a full body disposable garment. The logic is on your side but it seems to be an issue that is ignored. On the same topic, I have seen chefs on this show and other GR shows who have tied their pony tails back but still had about a third of their long hair hanging down loose over the food. I just try not to think about this when I eat out.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Like 3

After Gordon not sending Jonathan home over an almost-breakdown last week I can't complain that he didn't send Ryan home for something relatively minor by comparison.  Ryan has been solid all through the competition and crushed working the pass and identifying the "sabotages".  Also, the editing made me suspect that Carmen was being a little too hyper-vigilant about the doneness of the lobster and Gordon knew it but let it pass.  That would explain why he didn't chastise Ryan for claiming his lobsters were done.  Gordon sees everything and factors it into his decision, but the editing sometimes doesn't show us the full picture.

• Like 5
(edited)

I understood why Carmen left but I thought Sammi should have been the second to advance. Johnathan is a bit irritating but he isn't Jason bad. Hopefully either Ryan or Sammi can win it.

Jonathan's comment about being stiff was just strange. There is a lot of sob story stuff.

Edited by xcrayon2215x
  • Applause 1

The thing that bothers me most about Jonathan (and a lot of contestants) is their "I'm the chosen one" attitude.  Like they are the only person destined to win and anyone else winning goes against everything in the universe.

• Like 1