Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chafa

• Start Topic

(edited)

I guess I will start with Hawkeye being my second favorite Disney+ MCU series  after Ms. Marvel without seeing season 2 of Loki.

A okay origin story from perhaps the Choctaw was sitting on another deposit of vibranium that they were unable to exploit like the Wakandans and Talokans through the blip period where we now know Kingpin and Daredevil were still in New York. I got a chuckle out of the NYPD stepping out of the way for Fisk. To some scenes from Hawkeye where Maya shot the Kingpin to 5 weeks later with some deep wounds she returns to her hometown in Oklahoma.

I wonder if any Daredevil will go forward? It does seem as if the world thinks Kingpin is dead I guess since the episode ended with a promo before the credits he will appear in the future. We are getting screen shots of Fisk business interest out in the boondocks sort of like Roxxon was used in Agent Carter and Cloak & Dagger.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, tkc said:

Daredevil vs. Echo? I thought Cox fighting was illegal!

Ba-dum-pssh! 😄

For a second It made me think Poindexter was back in the suit and back in Kingpin's employ and was testing Maya

Outside of the opening Choctaw origin segment, I can definitely tell this show is trying to emulate the previous Netflix Marvel shows, compared to the Disney+ ones.  Not just the violence (which, while more graphic than normal, still isn't as bad as some shows can get), but the general feel of grittiness and brutality as well.  We'll see if they can keep it up throughout the five episodes, but it at least helps set it apart.

Glad they inserted some of the Hawkeye stuff again, because I admittedly forgot parts of it like Fisk being the one behind William/Echo's dad's death.  Of course, my favorite callback was seeing the "Trust a Bro" van again.  I kind of miss those merry band of idiots.

Certainly wouldn't mind getting more flashbacks, if this means more William since Zahn McClarnon is the best and should be on as many television shows as he is allowed to be!  Added bonus of getting both Graham Greene and Tantoo Cardinal as well.  Just need to find a way to get Wes Studi here as well...

I knew Matt/Daredevil would show up at some point, but I wasn't expecting it to already happen!  Fight scene was pretty good.

I'm guessing that is Bonnie that Maya is keeping an eye on but refusing to meet.  I'm sure she'll obviously factor in soon since that is Devery Jacobs double-dipping into the MCU (she also voiced Kahhori in this season's What If...?)

Smart enough not to drag out the obvious twist that Fisk isn't dead.  Kingpin will no doubt be out for some revenge and Vincent D'Onofrio has got some scenery to dine on (in the best way possible)!

• Like 3

I went into this just asking for something good enough to wash the bad taste of Secret Invasion out of my mouth, and so far this is off to a really good start. It feels like its been so long since Hawkeye I am really glad that they gave us a bit of a recap what what happened and why Echo "killed" Fisk. I am also really glad that they already confirmed that he's alive by the end of the episode, because...come on of course he is, no one bought that he was actually dead. 

I as wondering if we would see Daredevil show up but I was still really surprised to see him appear so soon, his fight with Echo and the mooks was pretty awesome. You can tell that this show is looking to return to the more gritty Netflix show vibes, not just with the fight scenes and darker tone but even the camera work, which feels much more Daredevil than She-Hulk. I am really not part of the "MCU is dying" crowd who complain about every single Disney show, but I do think that they could use a bit more of that street level grit and I think that this show can provide this. Its a great start, I am already pulled in.

Poor Maya had a really rough day, losing her mom, her leg, and having to move to a totally different place and leave the rest of her family behind. The shows cast seems really solid, I hope that we keep getting flashbacks to William because Zahn McClarnon being on my screen is always a good thing, and maybe we can find out more about what happened. 

Interesting that we started with this more mystical origin of the Choctaw as we head into this mostly gritty crime story, I am very interested in where that ends up going. I would normally say that its more thematic than literal, but its the MCU so this all presumably really did happen and there will be some more magic stuff happening in the background.  

• Like 3

This was my least anticipated show and I was a hard pass when it was announced.  However,  the first episode was pretty good. 

Weirdly enough I'm routing for Kingpin even though he's the baddie.

Nice to see the real Dare Devil show up.

I have inly watched the first episode, so far. I love the fight scenes and Daredevil. I like Onofrio, but a little tired of Kingpin already. He was well developed in the Netflix shows and now what more is there to actually learn? Maybe it is because I didn’t watch Hawkeye, but …. Well, will see how it goes. 

4 hours ago, Affogato said:

Also if echo fights Daredevil, talks to Ronin and Fisk , it means that Daredevil and Fisk didn’t blip. 

I think we knew about Fisk from Hawkeye. This confirms that Matt Murdock didn't blip

13 minutes ago, Affogato said:

I never watched Hawkeye, maybe I should. 

The episode was essentially a recap of Maya on Hawkeye plus  another half of fresh content.

• Like 1

OMGEE!!!  Snow Bird * reunited with her son Walks On Clouds! After what? 30 Years!

*Tantoo Cardinal and Zahn McClarnon played mother and son (Cheyenne) on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

Ahem. 

And Charlie Cox too! And here I thought I had to wait for the next Dare Devil show to see him again!

Watched this last night and it was pretty good. Way better than I expected based on how terrible Secret Invasion was plus just thinking after Hawkeye that Maya didn't really seem interesting enough to warrant her own show. Hopefully it is good enough for me to ignore that Maya has a prosthetic that looks similar to what people can get in our world. I mean sure I don't expect it to be as good as Bucky's arm, but in a world where that arm exists, even basic prosthetics should be way better.

The fights were really well done. I always prefer more brutal looking fights since PG-13 fights where there is no blood or real pain always look kind of dumb.

I could have done with a bit less Hawkeye flashbacks. Although the Maya kid flashbacks were interesting. But I thought for sure, after they talked about dragons, that they were also going to show Maya's version of the Chituari invasion.

One thing I was a little confused by was exactly who was the guy Maya met at the roller rink. At the start they said they said her other cousin was Biscuits, the guy who she met up with at the house. But who was the other guy.

Also I wonder if "who cut the brakes in mom's car" will be an ongoing mystery or just a thing to show that dad was into some shady shit. And for that matter. I also wonder if we will find out why Bonnie seemed to be raised by her grandparents. 

Also of course Maya's dad is a criminal, he is the head of the Fargo mob since the 1970's. 

29 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

One thing I was a little confused by was exactly who was the guy Maya met at the roller rink.

I think he was her uncle-father's younger brother. They have the same last name?

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

One thing I was a little confused by was exactly who was the guy Maya met at the roller rink. At the start they said they said her other cousin was Biscuits, the guy who she met up with at the house. But who was the other guy.

12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think he was her uncle-father's younger brother. They have the same last name?

Henry Black Crow Lopez. It does seem as in Echo the titles refer to the actual familial relationships and they are not just generational. Although the grandfather Skully seems to be the grandmother's boyfriend  or perhaps another spouse after the daughter's, Maya's mom, father.

Edited by Raja

So I have never seen a Marvel movie or tv show but I was intrigued to hear the show is about a deaf indigenous women with a prosthetic played by actress who is the same.  Okay, so I saw the Daredevil movie and first Iron Man 20 years ago.  I was pleased to be able to mostly follow what was going on.  Was some of this from a different show?  Maya has appeared before?  What's a blip?

Maya is an interesting character.  I didn'r realize she was an anti-hero but I like her vibe.  I'm probally going to binge the whole show this weekend.  

(edited)
33 minutes ago, greycoupon said:

So I have never seen a Marvel movie or tv show but I was intrigued to hear the show is about a deaf indigenous women with a prosthetic played by actress who is the same.  Okay, so I saw the Daredevil movie and first Iron Man 20 years ago.  I was pleased to be able to mostly follow what was going on.  Was some of this from a different show?  Maya has appeared before?  What's a blip?

Maya is an interesting character.  I didn'r realize she was an anti-hero but I like her vibe.  I'm probally going to binge the whole show this weekend.  

Most of the scenes came from the Hawkeye miniseries which introduced Maya as the leader of one of the gangs that worked for Kingpin. The "track suit mafia" as we see her father in a track suit in the "historical scenes". Some scenes might be from the Netflix Daredevil series where the Kingpin was introduced and where he was the major antagonist over its 3 seasons but I can't say for sure without re watching and taking notes.

The "blip" is the MCU timeframe between the time the Avengers, including 2008's Iron Man Robert Downey Jr. lost to Thanos in Avengers Infinity War and half of all life supernaturally vanished up to Avengers Endgame when Thanos was defeated and the supernatural disappearance of that half of all living beings was reversed.  To those who disappeared and reemerged it was like "a blip" in time. So for MCU fanatics with just about every character not in the Avengers movies who we are not sure of their status during the blip is among the first things asked about.

The Daredevil movie itself with Ben Affleck, Colin Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan while the same root story as the Charlie Cox's Daredevil , the one fighting Maya, are by a separate studio and filmmakers and not linked to this.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1