Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E08: Whitney Houston Night

• Start Topic

Hmm I don't think it's cricket that one team gets called out and the other team doesn't.  Val is not being judged specifically on his dancing but he is being judged on his choices as a choreographer. He made a choice to lipsync which affects the choreography as so many point out. After all  both pro and celebrity each receive a Mirrorball. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, realdancemom said:

think Billy Porter was just making a point that it's distracting to him and others have also commented on it in previous weeks.

It was distracting to me also. I totally get the singing along to the song, it’s just distracting to me and it drew my attention away from his joyful, enjoyable dancing.

• Like 1

I watched Xochiti's Tango for the first time tonight. Given the many comments I thought it was going to be exceptional. I was underwhelmed. I thought her top line needed to be stronger and her footwork was muddled, heel leads were hap hazard and turning crosses not fully engaged. As a performance it was fine, the musical theatre background shines through. However, Val was far more strict with other younger dancers like Zemdaya who really benefited from the drills. This to me was not the 10 standard from last season. Charli is an exceptional dancer, not only because she performs well she paid attention to finishing her movement. Xochiti needs to work on the details. She legit lost to Charity for that very reason in the dance off

• Like 2

So, I finally had a chance to watch, and I call shenanigans and bullshit.

Barry and Harry should have been against each other, with Alyson against Jason.

I think Harry should have been gone this week, and Barry next week. I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I feel like Barry earned the chance to be there one more week. I'm getting serious Bobby Bones vibes, and I hope like hell that that isn't going to happen.

Hopefully Harry will be gone after next week, followed by Charity.

Arianna has grown on me, I like her dancing.

I really like Jason, but I feel like he's kind of plateaued. I hope he steps it up because the potential is there, and I would love to see him do a freestyle with Daniella.

Alyson gets my vote for most improved

Edited by marykat71702
  • Like 6
8 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Barry and Harry should have been against each other, with Alyson against Jason.

I'm not really sure how they matched up these pairs. If it was based on cumulative scores it should have been Xochitl & Val v. Jason & Daniella, Charity & Artem v. Alyson & Sasha and Barry & Peta v. Harry & Rylee.

And if it had been based on last weeks scores it should have been Xochitl & Val v. Charity & Artem, Jason & Daniella v. Alyson & Sasha and Harry & Rylee v. Barry & Peta. There's no scoring I can come up with that puts Jason against Barry.

And I know it wasn't random because the producers wouldn't risk having something as uneven as Xochitl v Harry because that's not suspenseful. 

Edited by vibeology
  • Like 2

This show has never been about fairness it's a show to create ratings and increase awareness and fanbases for the participants.

Who knows what the machinations were but I could see an immature guy like Harry thinking no way am I competing against an old man. Or Barry didn't want to compete against Harry. The show wanting to appease and still get ratings flipped the script.

To counter Barry's dance-off win Harry's delusional fans have created a gif for when he opened his shirt and post it constantly, creating an illusion that whatever Barry did Harry did it better. Yeah right.

Barry went up against a perceived front runner and beat him. That did wonders for Barry as a participant, and to me left the impression there is no doubt Harry is by far the worst dancer and should have went home

As an opponent Harry might have had a tantrum and his crazy ass fans be relentless on Harry losing to Grandpa Barry. I think the show went with the dramatic choice that the participants could live with.

If Jason went up against Xochiti and lost there would be no redemption arc, game over the best of the top scorers won. As for Xochiti she also lost her Dance off. She can also get redemption although not as dramatic as Jason's since she also got the first perfect score of the season.

People might not be as curious to see how everything turns out by the freestyle if the dance-off match ups were different.

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 2

Given the dramatic dance Jason has on TS night I'm more optimistic for that as the beginning of an uphill trajectory than  I was for the Samba. I just had a feeling that regardless of how he did there are a lot of technicalities in that dance that can get heavy scrutiny.

If he does well, then the semi finals could be a lot of fun. Normally it's a ballroom and Latin dance and he would hopefully get the opportunity to dance to one of his own compositions for a beautiful waltz or Viennese waltz because that's all the ballroom he has left to dance.

• Like 2

Given the last article I read in People about Jason and DWTS it sounds like he's thrown in the towel. When it becomes a "job" it's not fun anymore. I don't blame him. He's been pretty constantly kicked in the ball change. I'll miss him he could have been the reason I'd buy a ticket for the tour. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I often wonder how much the celebs understand about the nature of the judging.  Does Jason understand that they are trying to manipulate his scores for a reason or does he believe their shite?  Is his "towel-throwing" feeding into the show's narrative or is it real?  I can never suss what the celebs think is going on.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Andiethewestie said:

Given the last article I read in People about Jason and DWTS it sounds like he's thrown in the towel. When it becomes a "job" it's not fun anymore. I don't blame him. He's been pretty constantly kicked in the ball change. I'll miss him he could have been the reason I'd buy a ticket for the tour. 

I read he hadn't been well, so was  lacking  the energy right now. I'd love him or Alyson to win.

• Like 5

Eh, I think it's a bit of both. His humour tells me he's definitely understanding the assignment, but I think he's tired. He's worked hard not only on learning but helping out with other aspects beyond the learning  such as recording the vocals for the QS or bringing in the choreographer for the Jazz.  There is so much energy needed for this kind of collaboration that with getting little praise he's gotta be asking why bother? Harry for example gets voted through on less than half the effort.

Edited by Andiethewestie

If the show grows a pair the dances Harry says he has next are his Waterloo.. Two rhythmical dances for a guy who has no rhythm. The comedy will be the gymnastics the judges will give in trying to explain anything higher than a 6 

https://pagesix.com/2023/11/17/entertainment/dancing-with-the-stars-taylor-swift-night-harry-jowsey-rylee-arnold-take-page-six-inside-rehearsals/amp/

ETA: I hope Jason finds the energy  to push through since he does have at least one solid comeback dance style assigned for TS night. No hints at the second one, but if it's a relay

vs Harry it's no contest as Harry has two dance styles that Jason has crushed earlier and should give him some bonus points, hopefully enough to stay in the hunt.  I'm Still Team Jason until  Harry buries everyone in the vote count.

Edited by Andiethewestie

This season is interesting since we don't know who could go home at any week. Except for Harry, I would be ok if any of the other contestants win for various reasons. It doesn't mean that I I don't have favorites. Getting the first big Len Goodman Mirrorball Trophy is a big deal so it would be a shame if Harry won. That article linked above states that Taylor is voting for Harry and it sounds like she's encouraging others to do so too. Yikes!! I didn't know Harry before and I don't know why he has such a big fan base. However, even an old person like me, knows Taylor and we don't need her influencing young people to vote for Harry even more.  

Edited by realdancemom
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, realdancemom said:

That article linked above states that Taylor is voting for Harry and it sounds like she's encouraging others to do so too. Yikes!! I didn't know Harry before and I don't know why he has such a big fan base

I think it's worded in Harry's best interest but I have a feeling Taylor will have something to say about all the contestants. I agree with you it would be a disgrace for Harry to hoist the Mirrorball in Len's name. Ratings haven't really changed so I don't get the fascination with a fanbase that doesn't watch the show, or alienates those that do.  I wasn't interested in Seasons 26 27 28 or 29 and didn't watch, but I heard about the Bones fiasco, hopefully this isn't a repeat.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The contestants have announced their dance styles on social media  and the Swifties have suggested the following songs based on visual clues  

Paper Rings  

Look What You Made Me Do

Don't Blame Me 

You Belong To Me 

August 

Ariana was the only one to announce both style and song together a rumba-. Song is Cruel Summer

There's also at least one other dance, a Jive which is likely tho not confirmed  a relay to Shake it Off 

• Like 1

Why is Alyson getting free points going against Harry again? She needs to go against Jason or Charity. I don't find her dancing interesting, so I hope she and Harry are the next two to go.

I'm meh on Taylor Swift night. She seems like a sweet person, but I don't know any of her music. I wish they would go back to songs appropriate for the dancing and shelve the theme nights.

And didn't Charity get cha cha last week?

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Why is Alyson getting free points going against Harry again? She needs to go against Jason or Charity. I don't find her dancing interesting, so I hope she and Harry are the next two to go.

I'm meh on Taylor Swift night. She seems like a sweet person, but I don't know any of her music. I wish they would go back to songs appropriate for the dancing and shelve the theme nights.

And didn't Charity get cha cha last week?

Agree with all your points. I had to look up some of the music because I didn't know it. Charity already had Cha Cha as a dance and a dance off so this will be her third go at it against Jason who danced it two months ago in week 1.  Alyson being a big Taylor fan I guess is getting the narrative of most improved even tho it's nothing special. If she danced against any of the others it would be glaringly obvious but since she probably won't open her shirt time to go the easy route. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 1

Dani posted last evening that both her and Jason are sick and feel terrible but they will be there Tuesday. I hope they have the stamina to pull through but I think that post was to let us know to prepare for an elimination.  I feel sick for them, but that's showbusiness  Dammit I was hoping for a cool freestyle maybe partially on roller skates 🛼 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Sad 3
On 11/16/2023 at 11:56 PM, Andiethewestie said:

I watched Xochiti's Tango for the first time tonight. Given the many comments I thought it was going to be exceptional. I was underwhelmed. I thought her top line needed to be stronger and her footwork was muddled, heel leads were hap hazard and turning crosses not fully engaged. As a performance it was fine, the musical theatre background shines through. However, Val was far more strict with other younger dancers like Zemdaya who really benefited from the drills. This to me was not the 10 standard from last season. Charli is an exceptional dancer, not only because she performs well she paid attention to finishing her movement. Xochiti needs to work on the details. She legit lost to Charity for that very reason in the dance off

I just watched a video of all Charli and Mark's dances. I didn't watch that season but Charli looked like a pro to me. I looked her up and read that Charli danced competitively for ten years.

22 hours ago, Andiethewestie said:

I think it's worded in Harry's best interest but I have a feeling Taylor will have something to say about all the contestants. I agree with you it would be a disgrace for Harry to hoist the Mirrorball in Len's name. Ratings haven't really changed so I don't get the fascination with a fanbase that doesn't watch the show, or alienates those that do.  I wasn't interested in Seasons 26 27 28 or 29 and didn't watch, but I heard about the Bones fiasco, hopefully this isn't a repeat.

I would hope the show sees it that way too as far as Harry hoisting the first Len Goodman trophy. Agree. I would be a disgrace.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I just watched a video of all Charli and Mark's dances. I didn't watch that season but Charli looked like a pro to me. I looked her up and read that Charli danced competitively for ten years.

I'm quite certain it wasn't ballroom. Charli's trained in contemporary/jazz and while strong is probably not as good as say Amy Yakima.

Amy  was that great dancer from So You Think You Can Dance and of course danced competitively for many years but ballroom was not her specialty. When she tried ballroom it didn't look anywhere as good as Charli. Why? Because Charli has a talent for ballroom and a great coach in Mark Ballas

Any and Fiction  put a lot of contemporary in their Viennese waltz to hide their lack of skill in ballroom. Maybe if they had Mark Ballas drilling them for weeks on ballroom fundamentals they might get as good as Charli. Compared to Charli there's no contest.

Amy and Fiction 

Charli and Mark 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 1

I am beyond annoyed - wtf with Jason's scores?????  There is no way he should be at the bottom of the board with the amount of content he had in his routine! And I agree that the song was atrocious for a Samba! I would rather see someone totally balls out committed to the performance mouthing the words than that robot Charity going through the motions and not connecting at all! Booooo!!!!!

I am so flabbergasted that Harry is still in this - he looks like Frankenstein trying to dance. I laughed when Billy called him a tree trunk. Truer words were never spoken. I have no idea who is voting for him - kids don't really watch this show, it's all old people. Who is doing this??!???

Boooo to Barry going home. I absolutely loved him! Great attitude and surprisingly spry. I wanted Jason to get those extra points, but Barry went for it!

I feel like Xochitl is going to win, and I couldn't be more bored by that no matter how good she is. It feels like a repeat of last year with Charlie.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I feel like Xochitl is going to win, and I couldn't be more bored by that no matter how good she is. It feels like a repeat of last year with Charlie.

I preferred Mark and his choreography over anything Val has done 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 2

Charlie was good, but she won because of her massive social media following. No one this season even has a fraction of that. That's why I wouldn't worry too much about Harry winning. He has fans, but so does everyone else.

Last season was so boring because there was no competition for Charlie in either fanbase or ability. This season, it's up for grabs so I'm liking this season more.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Charlie was good, but she won because of her massive social media following. No one this season even has a fraction of that. That's why I wouldn't worry too much about Harry winning. He has fans, but so does everyone else.

Last season was so boring because there was no competition for Charlie in either fanbase or ability. This season, it's up for grabs so I'm liking this season more.

I am enjoying this  season more as well because it feels like a more level playing field, but two years in a row with the teen phenom winning is a boring outcome. Even worse if Harry wins.....

• Like 5
On 11/20/2023 at 4:29 PM, Andiethewestie said:

I'm quite certain it wasn't ballroom. Charli's trained in contemporary/jazz and while strong is probably not as good as say Amy Yakima.

Amy  was that great dancer from So You Think You Can Dance and of course danced competitively for many years but ballroom was not her specialty. When she tried ballroom it didn't look anywhere as good as Charli. Why? Because Charli has a talent for ballroom and a great coach in Mark Ballas

Any and Fiction  put a lot of contemporary in their Viennese waltz to hide their lack of skill in ballroom. Maybe if they had Mark Ballas drilling them for weeks on ballroom fundamentals they might get as good as Charli. Compared to Charli there's no contest.

Amy and Fiction 

Charli and Mark 

I figured Charlie was not a ballroom competitive dancer for all those years. If she were, she should not have been cast for this show. Charlie is a beautiful dancer and she surely did well with ballroom and Latin. I agree.....having Mark Ballas as a teacher is what made her excel.

Agree about Amy and Fiction.

• Like 2