Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: God U

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

0433ee73afe971942e6580f5240683d582da83b0

Congratulations! You have been chosen for admission to Godolkin University! We’re thrilled to be a part of your journey to discovering what kind of super you are! Since its founding in 1965, God U has produced some of the best and brightest superheroes the world has ever known, including three members of The Seven! And who knows? Maybe you’ll be next!

Premiere Date: September 29, 2023      Prime Video       
1q6D4CU9Bt6ahThKuGJhfpsEAtE.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well this is definitely a Boys spinoff. 

The gender fluid power is interesting, do they have different powers? Is one defense and the other offence. 

Didn't expect Clancy Brown to only last one episode. 

Nice seeing Roz and Ambrose from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina together again. 

Bloodbending is a gross superpower but it fits with the universe. I wonder how far they'll take it. And if it'll be like Avatar the Last Airbender universe. Where they can control people. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Didn't expect Clancy Brown to only last one episode. 

Right? I expected Marie to get into his class and there would be a season of Super Scooby-Doo hijinks. After the suicide warning in the beginning, I thought it was going to be the tiny roommate. I got both of those wrong. 

I really enjoyed the first episode. Reminded me of the first season of the Boys. 

• Like 1

What a great first episode to begin with. I was wondering with Patrick Schwarzenegger was only a recurring role, but I guess that takes care of that. What I do like about The Boys universe is that they're not afraid to get bold and do unexpected twists like this. 

There was great development from characters like Marie and Emma that makes me interested in their journey this season.

I had been interested in the visions that Luke was having, if it was the kid sending them himself or maybe Luke's girlfriend, who seems to have mental-based powers, but I guess we won't directly find out from Luke. Like, that's a risk they took, killing off a character like that in the first episode, but one I think will pay off. 

Jordan was an interesting character. There wasn't a whole lot of development on their character, but enough where I'm curious to see what their arc is. 

Solid premiere; it's gotten me interested in the series, that's for sure. I like that the series feels very much like The Boys, even without the constant references, but still has its own unique tone. 

• Like 5

I too was surprised that Golden Boy died so early.  This actor is an unknown to me but he has the Schwarzenegger name so I figured he was supposed to be the lead.

The interesting thing about "The Boys" is that it actually addresses real-life consequences of certain powers.  In particular, that to use them, people end up naked, and don't seem to care.  Translucent (invisibility), Hughie (teleportation), Termite (shrinking), Golden Boy (pyrokinesis).

Golden Boy was in the #1 position and not one scientist at the university was able to give him a flame retardant suit?  Why did it take almost-graduating in order for him to merit being given a suit by Brink so he doesn't have to be naked all the time?  I guess he obviously doesn't mind.

• Like 1

Marie's powers are gross.  Why does she need to slice her palm so much.  Wouldn't a nick to the finger be enough?  What happens to the blood, does it get absorbed back into her body?  It appears that she doesn't lose the blood while it is outside of her, she doesn't seem to get faint at all.

Does she have healing powers?  Do her cuts close on their own?  She also seemed to be able to control the blood of the woman that Andre cut and put it back.  So she can control any blood of anyone?  If she can control blood, it seems like a formidable power to be able to drain an enemy of their blood.  That seems a lot less messy to her personally than cutting herself and using her blood like Venom's tendrils.

• Like 2
On 10/5/2023 at 5:12 PM, blackwing said:

I too was surprised that Golden Boy died so early.  This actor is an unknown to me but he has the Schwarzenegger name so I figured he was supposed to be the lead.

The interesting thing about "The Boys" is that it actually addresses real-life consequences of certain powers.  In particular, that to use them, people end up naked, and don't seem to care.  Translucent (invisibility), Hughie (teleportation), Termite (shrinking), Golden Boy (pyrokinesis).

Golden Boy was in the #1 position and not one scientist at the university was able to give him a flame retardant suit?  Why did it take almost-graduating in order for him to merit being given a suit by Brink so he doesn't have to be naked all the time?  I guess he obviously doesn't mind.

I was surprised because of the media coverage he got, but that makes sense. Giving someone a lot of coverage makes it worth his while to be only on for an episode or two. I've noticed this in other shows, as well.

On 10/5/2023 at 5:18 PM, blackwing said:

Marie's powers are gross.  Why does she need to slice her palm so much.  Wouldn't a nick to the finger be enough?  What happens to the blood, does it get absorbed back into her body?  It appears that she doesn't lose the blood while it is outside of her, she doesn't seem to get faint at all.

Does she have healing powers?  Do her cuts close on their own?  She also seemed to be able to control the blood of the woman that Andre cut and put it back.  So she can control any blood of anyone?  If she can control blood, it seems like a formidable power to be able to drain an enemy of their blood.  That seems a lot less messy to her personally than cutting herself and using her blood like Venom's tendrils.

I don't know if you are familiar with the (GRRM edited) Wild Cards, but that is also a comic book type universe (originally stories and novels written by a group)where people have often gross and disturbing transformations and powers that seem to be related to their self image and other psychological issues.

spoiler for Wild Cards, if you care:

Spoiler

The actual powers are telekenetic and the telekenesis has allowed the victims of the Wild Card virus to transform their bodies

Anyway I think something similar is happening in the Boys Universe. I bet that Marie is not aware she is gathering substance from those around her to make her blood whips, just like I imagine that Emma isn't actually throwing up her whole body mass or eating that amount.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, AnimeMania said:

0433ee73afe971942e6580f5240683d582da83b0

Congratulations! You have been chosen for admission to Godolkin University! We’re thrilled to be a part of your journey to discovering what kind of super you are! Since its founding in 1965, God U has produced some of the best and brightest superheroes the world has ever known, including three members of The Seven! And who knows? Maybe you’ll be next!

Premiere Date: September 29, 2023      Prime Video       

If you look at this picture Brinkman is looking at his protege lustfully, isn't he?

On 10/5/2023 at 4:12 PM, blackwing said:

Golden Boy was in the #1 position and not one scientist at the university was able to give him a flame retardant suit? 

Brink showed him the mock-up for a hafnium-carbide alloy suit.   GB described it as "low 8 figures, easy.  No one is gonna pay for this".  So a durable suit was possible just too expensive for anyone to bother until he got a NYC to pay for it. .  

• Like 2

I waited until all the episodes were out so that I could just binge it all at once.

This episode was... something. It is unapologetically a part of The Boys universe. It is just as odd and weird... and yet, I still watch.

On 9/29/2023 at 7:01 PM, Sakura12 said:

Bloodbending is a gross superpower but it fits with the universe. I wonder how far they'll take it. And if it'll be like Avatar the Last Airbender universe. Where they can control people. 

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. Who cleans this stuff up after she practices?

I can see that being a Homelander-ending superpower... unless his blood somehow can't be manipulated.

• Like 1