Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Episode 4

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I'm surprised Maeve actually came back for the mother, but I think she probably wanted to quit after Captain Courageous gave his uninformed opinion on her chapter.

I also forgot that Aimes should not be driving. Always forgetting the lens cap is just perfect too. Otis and her were great in the car. They seemed

I have zero problems with Ruby being out for revenge either. O seems like a cold reader more than an actual therapist. Everything she's saying is just so broad. Rudy just being so over the juggler was exactly my look. The actor actually has really good comic timing. 

I'm doubtful the kids at school know O is on the radio or even listen to the radio. Even on the radio, she's just cold reading. I don't know if the show is trying to play her as a fraud or if we're supposed to think she actually knows what she's talking about. 

• Like 2

So how did Adam's mom (forget her name) know that "Martin" on the radio was her ex? That's stretching credibility a bit. 

I'm glad Isaac hasn't been the dick that he was last season. (That said, it was courageous for the show to depict a disabled person that way.) But I hope he and Aimee stay platonic, or have a mentor relationship at the most. 

Are we to assume that it's an "angel" who keeps pooping on Eric -- first when he finds a Bible in the road, and then leading him to work at the soup kitchen? 😆

Given how long they've been married, I don't think it's a stretch for Adam's mom to recognize Martin on the radio. They're a generation that used phones for talking exclusively. I have no doubt my mother could pick us out of the phone like nothing. 

• Like 8

He didn't exactly do a good job hiding his voice, plus he mentioned the separation.

7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I have no doubt my mother could pick us out of the phone like nothing. 

This reminds me: When my childhood best friend was a teenager, she called home upset about some kind of urgent situation. When her mom answered, friend said, "Ma, this is [friend's name]." Her mom laughed. Friend asked, "What's so funny?" Mom said, "Did you really think I wouldn't know who you were?"

Edited by mrsbagnet
On 9/25/2023 at 10:52 PM, arachne said:

So how did Adam's mom (forget her name) know that "Martin" on the radio was her ex? That's stretching credibility a bit. 

He actually said "This is Michael, urr, Martin..." when Jean started his call.  He tried to disguise his voice, too, but as he talked he slowly went back to his real voice.  I didn't have any problem buying that Maureen would recognize him.

• Like 3

I cringe in second-hand embarrassment at how bad at this job Jean is.  It's not an enjoyable storyline, despite the presence of the fantastically funny Hannah Gadsby.

What was enjoyable was Aimee and Otis in the car together, while waiting for Maeve, and the three of them at the end.  I also liked Maeve, who always has to be the grown-up of the two siblings, telling her brother he needed to go see the body alone, that when she saw the body of their uncle, he looked different, and she could never fully remember what he'd looked like alive after that, so she can't see their mom dead.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Shouldn't Hanna Gadsby be directing Jean better though? Or have a beta test program? 

It was very convenient to the plot that the station seemingly hired her without an audition or prior discussion about the structure of the show. Then again, across all seasons, Jean has been portrayed as a competent therapist who's pretty incompetent at everything else.

A lot of the episodes so far was ...because plot. It's hard to buy that she was that bad. Certainly she's been on interviews and done a lot of public speaking. The producer should be providing some structure. 

I mean, I'm no Cicero or even Obama, but you tell me you need 5 minutes, 15, of content that is literally my job, I can stick the landing within reason. I put a timer on my phone, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 

"Introduce yourself about 3 minutes. Then say we're taking calls and give the number. Pick a topic on your mind recently, give about 5 minutes about that while we wait for calls."

To be fair, Hanna mentioned something about needing to fill the spot fast, and Jean is a big name in sex education and therapy, so I can handwave an audition. 

• Like 1

I think the goal here is for us to understand how utterly exhausted Jean is and why maternal leave is a necessity not a luxury - in her normal state Jean could easily do this 

• Like 2
On 9/26/2023 at 5:52 AM, arachne said:

She recognized his voice, or his idioms or intonation?

• Like 1