Type keyword(s) to search

Monarch: Legacy Of Monsters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/19/2023 at 8:01 PM, MrWhyt said:

we only saw a small portion of the city. It's entirely possible that the reconstruction hadn't reached that point yet. it's also wasn't the point of the story, the episode was about the kids search for/of their dad's office, not the progress of the rebuilding of the city.

Agree on the first part, though the show didn't present the city as having parts that were being reconstructed and parts that weren't. It appears that whole section is just restricted, for no logical reason aside from the fact authorities are doing it.

On the second point, it doesn't matter what the episode was about. All sorts of details go into the theme of every ep. If SF had been painted purple, with no indication of why, that would be something to ask about as well. 

Note: I did go back and watch the 2014 Godzilla movie since I first posted about this. It appears in that movie the authorities are claiming radiation, but there is actually no radiation. Maybe that is happening here? Though the guys patrolling it had no radiation gear. I dunno, maybe it only bugs me.

That all said, I don't understand this Godzilla. In the movie, he hides out in less populated areas for decades? We see him in Japan, and then decades later in Africa. Somehow he moves around the world and no one sees him? And he is what, hibernating? Is he eating anything? So confused on what Godzilla is.

5 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

Episode 7 felt like an unnecessary filler tbh. I don't really care for Cora/May's past or her character in general. Her "backstory" has had no relevance to the actual plot or story. 

Agree. She's a brat. 

Edited by Ottis

So now, there's another mystery organization in the mix? I just sighed.

I thought Cate was worried about May because she's a friend, not a love interest.  It's pretty odd that it's leaning towards May hooking up with both siblings.  I'm glad that May snapped at Cate when she kept calling her by her fake name.  Too bad, the anger didn't last.

I have no idea is she's still a spy or not. 

On 12/23/2023 at 8:22 AM, tired and hungry said:

Episode 7 felt like an unnecessary filler tbh. I don't really care for Cora/May's past or her character in general. Her "backstory" has had no relevance to the actual plot or story.  

Couldn’t agree more.  The character of May/Cora is uninteresting and the actress is just not very good.  Other than Kurt Russell, the “current” timeline of the show is the weaker of the two plots by far.  

The whole episode, I kept waiting for something, anything, to happen!

Overall, I’m really enjoying this show (thanks in large part to the Russell bloodline) but the latest episode was a dud.  

• Applause 1
21 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Couldn’t agree more.  The character of May/Cora is uninteresting and the actress is just not very good.  Other than Kurt Russell, the “current” timeline of the show is the weaker of the two plots by far.  

The whole episode, I kept waiting for something, anything, to happen!

Overall, I’m really enjoying this show (thanks in large part to the Russell bloodline) but the latest episode was a dud.  

The company ‘May’ worked for 

Spoiler

I think created mechagodzilla, or the this universe equivalent

Spoiler

And there was an article I can’t find now that said killing the Titan was a big deal and sets the story up for war between Titans and humans. 

but I agree that there wasn’t a lot if excitement or tension considering how scary it would be living on this world. 

Edited by Affogato
On 11/19/2023 at 12:13 AM, peridot said:

I liked what I have seen so far.  One thing that caught my attention in the first episode - the cab door automatically opened and closed.  Is that actually a thing?

I really liked the slice of life of Godzilla alerts and everyone being on their way after the false alarm.  I can't even imagine living like that.  Of course, there's always that guy who thinks major events are hoaxes.

It was surprising to see that a secret family was living in the Tokyo apartment.  If I was Cate's mom, I would be pissed that my daughter was in another country and kept hanging up on me.

I know in the movies people knew about Monarch, but I guess the show is set before hand?

Yes some car doors do that 

(edited)

So they obviously fall through the portal and survive right? They already mentioned there's a whole world down there.. Keiko and Bill(?)are probably still alive too.

I'm confused now coz at what point does Bill Randa grow older and travel to Skull Island in the Kong movie. Acc to these episodes, they both "die" in the portal (as shown at the end of Ep1) in 1959. The events of Kong: Skull Island take place in 1973 which shows Bill as the head of Monarch and clearly still alive. But right now they are in 2015 when the bomb detonates. Is the Kong Bill who gets eaten by the skullcrawlers this Bill's son or is he the same Bill? Am I understanding something wrong? Can someone make it make sense?

Edit: Ok I thought about this for a while, Lee goes to save them in 1959 when they both fall through to Hollow Earth (he tells Cate that he's been there before) I'm guessing at some point in there, Keiko dies and Bill and Lee travel out of there. Bill adopts Hiroshi and after some years goes to become the head of Monarch after proving their Hollow Earth theory and then ultimately goes on the Skull Island expedition where he gets killed.

Just how old Shaw is supposed to be in all this?

Edited by tired and hungry

Missing in time for 20 years? He should have become the next Captain America!

(Forgive the MCU reference!)

• LOL 1
52 minutes ago, tkc said:

Missing in time for 20 years? He should have become the next Captain America!

Haha it's even funnier when you realize the younger Lee plays Captain America's "replacement" in the Falcon and Winter Soldier series

• Like 1
8 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

Haha it's even funnier when you realize the younger Lee plays Captain America's "replacement" in the Falcon and Winter Soldier series

When I IMDB'd him to see why he looked familiar (besides looking like his dad), I was, "of course!"

And I hate to bring up another MCU reference, but while I wasn't surprised that Keiko was still alive in the Hollow Earth, it reminded me vaguely of Michelle Pfeiffer (can't remember her character's name) in the quantum realm.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Ottis said:

I’m in the ep about “the real May.” Whooooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaares? Geez. Who approved this pacing?

Agreed! She's absolutely irrelevant to the entire story. Apart from hacking into the files that one time when they were in Japan she has had no other purpose. Her entire personality seems to be just whining about everything and making sarcastic comments on whatever's going on. She does not even have a connection to Monarch or anything. 

• Like 1

Ok, so “Axis Mundi” explains the overall mythology behind the show’s world. Interesting (especially when you FINALLY move away from uninteresting character backgrounds). Still, I am amazed at how nonchalant the military is at being around and calling Titans. This isn’t an atom bomb test. These things can turn and move and attack. And they set up chairs and a gallery? 

S01.E10: Beyond Logic

1704795459_header.jpg

(Season Finale)

The team struggles to find a way out of Axis Mundi. Kentaro and Tim make an unexpected alliance.

Premiere Date: January 12, 2024     AppleTV+  

1478x832.webp

I'm going to go ahead and use the spoiler tag for those who haven't watched the episode yet:

Spoiler

Poor Keiko, who assumed one or both of her men would mount a rescue mission for her during what she thought was two months, and came back to a son whose ready for an AARP membership.

• Like 2
Spoiler

I can't stand both Cate and May. I think the acting is the problem with both of them. Kentaro as a character is as annoying as them but the actor is pretty good, so I don't mind watching him. 

I'm glad Keiko is back. She's my favorite on the show by far and the actress did a great job at showing Keiko processing the shock and grieve.

Is Bill Randa really dead in this universe? In the first episode he was shown to still be alive and I'm kinda hoping Bill and Keiko would reunite and Lee, as well. I enjoy watching young Bill, Keiko and Lee the most in terms of storyline. Unfortunately that timeline seems to have ran its course. The 2015 people are not interesting enough. I have no idea which direction the showrunner will take the show next season, if there's even one. This season is already quite a mess in terms of storytelling.

• Like 1

The monsters and the mythology are great, really enjoy learning more about that. The “family” stuff continues to be grating. Having Keiko realize how much time has passed and her dealing with that realization was good. Having her then decide not to return because “my son grew up without me” was ridiculous. Especially since that discussion delayed their departure.

I enjoyed the first season overall but I was much more invested in the past storyline.  I’m sorry but the “kids” just lost my interest and the actors are just bad, especially May and Kentaro.

If it gets renewed for a second season, I will only watch if the Russells are on it. 

I did really enjoy the Godzilla fight!

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

The writing let this show down. This was one of those where nearly every conflict could've been solved by people actually having a 5 minute conversation about the issue.

• Love 1