Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Aftermath

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

Reeling from a storm, the remaining participants continue to deal with the consequences of their actions; one survivalist's food supply is threatened, while another reveals a secret that jeopardizes their stay. 

Air date: July 20, 2023

It’s not the first time, but can someone explain the idea of preserving your food by putting it high up in the trees?  Can’t just just about everything get up there to your cache? As happene, now in past series?

It seems like a strange rule that if you accidentally catch a duck in your fishing net you can't keep it, but you can if you shoot it. Poor Alan. I would have turned the camera off an eaten the duck. LOL on his British accent. 

Eww, Wyatt, I do not need to see you squeeze blood out of your arm wound. And Eww, Mikey, I do not need to see you eat raw squirrel brains. Sometimes this show is so gross.

Taz says he wants to win the prize money so he can bring his kids to the states. But he lives in a treehouse. Does he expect his kids to live in the treehouse? 

12 hours ago, Tango64 said:

It’s not the first time, but can someone explain the idea of preserving your food by putting it high up in the trees?  Can’t just just about everything get up there to your cache? As happene, now in past series?

The bears and other little critters wouldn't be able to get up there. Can't remember the name of that thing Alan caught in a snare, it ate half of someone's cache. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Eww, Wyatt, I do not need to see you squeeze blood out of your arm wound. And Eww, Mikey, I do not need to see you eat raw squirrel brains. Sometimes this show is so gross.

Yeah.  Maggots, blood, pus, squirrel brain and more maggots.  Bleccch.  I will admit to turning my head more than once.  A little of that goes too long a way.

Alan was doing great fishing until he lost his first lure.  It seems like there must have been something different about the second one that was letting fish get away.  It also seems like he would have thought of that and made a correction if at all possible. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The bears and other little critters wouldn't be able to get up there. Can't remember the name of that thing Alan

Not trying to argue, but help me understand. As I understand it, bears climb pretty well. So do a lot of small critters. And obviously flies. 
So what’s the advantage?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Got to agree with that.  At least we were spared the death throes and pained chittering of the animals that were hunted this week.  It would go from "Got him" to a later shot of the contestant holding the catch.  That said, it was a fairly uneventful episode.

I think the animal you're looking for is a pine marten. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I really didn't get why the only options seemed to be a) eat the maggot meat & possibly get ass worms, or b) tap out? Like, getting more food didn't seem to enter in the thought process. Not sure that bodes well for long-term survival.

• Like 5

I don't know if I would bother caching and restricting food, I think I would just eat it as I got it to keep my strength and weight up as you never know what is going to happen the next day. I say this as a person who can't diet, example if I am limited to 1000 calories a day, I would eat that all by 7am !!!

Just eat your fish, keep strong to go out and fish again another day. Unless you get a moose or something that you have no choice, you couldn't eat that all at once.

hmmm is not reporting a wound against the rules? I think other contestants have self treated wounds with forest remedies before IIRC. I just won't like it if Wyatt does win but he is DQ'd for breaking the rules.

I don't like Melanie anymore, I like Taz but he has had a lot of bad luck/bad decisions. Between Mikey, Wyatt and Alan , I don't know who to choose. I don't know if Mikey will be able to handle the cold.

Mikey is very creative, that top was great. You would have to carve it perfectly balanced to get it to spin like that.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Not trying to argue, but help me understand. As I understand it, bears climb pretty well. So do a lot of small critters. And obviously flies. 
So what’s the advantage?

And how about birds?  A lot of birds scavenge.  On that alone I'm scratching my head on how the food would be safe up there.

5 hours ago, Blackie said:

I don't know if I would bother caching and restricting food, I think I would just eat it as I got it to keep my strength and weight up as you never know what is going to happen the next day. I say this as a person who can't diet, example if I am limited to 1000 calories a day, I would eat that all by 7am !!!

If you have to eat a calorie restricted diet, you somehow do it.  And you get used to it, too.  I've been on a 1,200 - 1,500 calorie a day diet for 10 months now.  I clearly have a medical issue because I lost 25 lbs. at first but have been stuck on a weight plateau for about 4 months now.  And I'm not going to eat less than that either because it would become unhealthy.  Anyway at first it was very difficult but after a while I got used to it.  And I've had medical issues before with gallstones that made me experience really bad indigestion if I ate any fat at all.  So I was forced to eat very little and everything had to be non-fat.  If every time you ate something you experienced excruciating pain you'd cut way back too.

Anyway, based on my experience with dieting, I feel that the key to survival out there is moderation.  Eat just enough to keep your energy level on a somewhat even keel.  Don't hoard too much food and eat too little or eat in a feast or famine way.  Both are sure ways to deplete yourself of energy and lose too much weight.  That intermittent fasting diet is all the rage because it works.  The idea for survival in an environment where food is scarce is not to do that if you can help it.  Spread your food out so that you never go too long without eating a little more.  I see what happens to these people is they forget that by not eating a little more and thinking they're saving their food for when they really need it they deplete their energy to the point where they have no more left to go out and find more food.  As much as I don't really love Melanie, she caught herself doing that and corrected it by eating from her reserves before she reached a point of no return.  That was very smart of her and it impressed me, although it wasn't smart of her to let it get to that point before she realized it.

• Like 5
On 7/20/2023 at 10:26 PM, Tango64 said:

Well, we now know that maggots can! 🤮

I'm torn as to whom I want to win. I really like the Canadians. 

I continue to love this show! Ninjas, Survivors, and Naked Fraidy-Cats can all just take a seat. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Tango64 said:

So what’s the advantage?

There aren't any branches though so it's basically just a very tall pole. I don't think a bear could shimmy up something like that, hence the ladder. That said, yeah, birds and squirrels can definitely get up there.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, tljgator said:

I really didn't get why the only options seemed to be a) eat the maggot meat & possibly get ass worms, or b) tap out? Like, getting more food didn't seem to enter in the thought process

They're not the only options, but I'm sure having that happen was very discouraging.

20 hours ago, Blackie said:

Just eat your fish, keep strong to go out and fish again another day. Unless you get a moose or something that you have no choice, you couldn't eat that all at once.

I'm sure it's nice to know that you have something leftover to eat tomorrow.  But if you do keep eating and keep strong, maybe that increases your chance to get a big game animal like a moose or something.  I guess it's all what kind of strategy you want to employ.  Last year's winner won by deciding to fast completely.

15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

If you have to eat a calorie restricted diet, you somehow do it

Its not that I can't eat low cal, actually I find fasting not hard. And generally I probably don't eat more then 1500 cal per day, I just don't think about it. Its psychological. If I  had 1 fish (2 fillets) , I couldn't save one for tomorrow, I couldn't do it.

11 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I'm sure it's nice to know that you have something leftover to eat tomorrow.  But if you do keep eating and keep strong, maybe that increases your chance to get a big game animal like a moose or something.  I guess it's all what kind of strategy you want to employ.  Last year's winner won by deciding to fast completely.

It would be easier for me to eat my food as I got it and then fast the next day if  I had too. That would be  my strategy.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Blackie said:

I'm sure it's nice to know that you have something leftover to eat tomorrow.  But if you do keep eating and keep strong, maybe that increases your chance to get a big game animal like a moose or something. 

Don't forget that one guy a few seasons back who had an entire shelter filled with smoked fish that he wasn't eating. He got pulled by medical because he was starving himself to death and didn't even realize it. He thought he was doing just fine, so something psychological is happening when you go into starvation mode. At least it did to him. Anyone who saw that season should have taken away the lesson, eat don't hoard. 

• Like 7
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Don't forget that one guy a few seasons back who had an entire shelter filled with smoked fish that he wasn't eating. He got pulled by medical because he was starving himself to death and didn't even realize it. He thought he was doing just fine, so something psychological is happening when you go into starvation mode. At least it did to him. Anyone who saw that season should have taken away the lesson, eat don't hoard. 

That was Dave from season 3.  He had a starvation induced psychosis, something often discussed in relation to people with severe eating disorders like Anorexia.

Here you are!  I was posting back in episode one.

I'm bored to tears with this season.  Maggots are new.  No more heads off birds thank heavens!

I'm doing a lot of fast forwarding.  Nothing new.

• Like 2
On 7/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, iMonrey said:

There aren't any branches though so it's basically just a very tall pole. I don't think a bear could shimmy up something like that, hence the ladder. That said, yeah, birds and squirrels can definitely get up there.

This- and they scrape the bark off  so there’s not a whole lot to grab onto (making the ladder the most reliable way to access it.)

On 7/21/2023 at 5:22 PM, Tango64 said:

So what’s the advantage?

What the others said above.  Cut off branches and strip the bark.  That is the traditional way used for centuries to cache food in the wilderness.  And see below about smaller critters...same as the bird-proofing.  Just couldn't keep out maggots.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, tljgator said:

I really didn't get why the only options seemed to be a) eat the maggot meat & possibly get ass worms, or b) tap out? Like, getting more food didn't seem to enter in the thought process. Not sure that bodes well for long-term survival.

Getting more food is what they try to do every day weather permitting.  But it doesn't always happen.  You can go days without scoring a fish or squirrel or finding another patch of berries.  And when the weather is really bad you can't even try on those days.  Nature isn't like the local grocery store.  Takes a lot of time effort and skill to find even a little to survive on and you burn a lot of calories trying.

On 7/22/2023 at 2:38 AM, Yeah No said:

And how about birds?  A lot of birds scavenge.  On that alone I'm scratching my head on how the food would be safe up there.

He made a wooden lid and put it on top that kept out the birds.