Type keyword(s) to search

OLTL Outside Llanview: The Cast In Other Roles

• Start Topic

I truly don't believe she would ever return to GH, mainly for the above stated reasons, and also because I don't even think acting is her primary career anymore--I know she was in Melange, Ilene Kristen's show, but didn't she become a real estate agent a few years ago? I know that can be flexible for other careers, but still.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The cancellation of OLTL (ten years ago next month, HELLO) probably pushed her to explore new things in a way she might not have had the show remained on ABC--I distinctly remember, back when it looked like PP would pick the show almost as soon as it left ABC in 2012 (only for it to fall through, before being revived in 2013), that she actually was still among the cast members who were not returning to OLTL once that transition was made, until the move to LA and GH was announced, and even with her joining GH afterwards, she obviously had it in her mind by then to change her life and do something different if she wanted to--if OLTL were still on the air today, I can completely believe that she would still be on the show. She seemed comfortable there, unlike her immediate forerunner in OLTL kid "lifers", Erin Torpey, who left on her own shortly before she turned 22. (Weirdly, they share the same hometown: Doylestown, Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia). 

Edited by UYI
On 3/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, I don't want to see Kristen Alderson back on GH. She was terrible the first time around. GH isn't the right soap for her, no matter who she plays.

I can't believe she won an Emmy for Starr's awful snarling rage when Cole and Hope died (or, more likely, "died").

One point against Roger Howarth returning as Todd - I have to imagine, given the Friz fanatics, they'll try and re-pair the RHs and you absolutely cannot put Liz with gang rape leader Todd, no matter how "redeemed" he is.  Then again, I never thought they'd put Liz with the SERIAL KILLER who kidnapped her newborn son so what do I know.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think they'd still put Liz with Todd. Actually, I think they may actually like the idea of it because of Todd's past.

Never mind the fact that Liz is a rape survivor, and a teenage rape survivor--which is a big reason why I had a problem with her and Franco in the first place, even though I'm no longer watching/Sam's rape was retconned as a "brain tumor".

(And don't forget, Todd raped Carol Swift before he lead Marty's gang rape--so even with the rapemance stuff in 2008 taken out, he's still a two-time rapist.)

Also, I wasn't paying much attention until now, so let me just say--WHAT? Are y'all serious? I must have missed this--they're actually having Roger play Todd again? Were all the legal issues preventing that resolved and I missed it? Good grief, what a terrible idea. 

Edited by UYI
16 minutes ago, UYI said:

I must have missed this--they're actually having Roger play Todd again? Were all the legal issues preventing that resolved and I missed it?

It's just spec at the moment that RoHo will be Todd on GH.

Were all the legal issues preventing that resolved and I missed it? Good grief, what a terrible idea. 

I believe that ABCD has gotten back the rights to OLTL and AMC.  Nora has made a couple of appearances; and David Hayward has also been referenced.

7 hours ago, drtslim said:

I believe that ABCD has gotten back the rights to OLTL and AMC.  Nora has made a couple of appearances; and David Hayward has also been referenced.

We also saw Dimitri Merick's hands a few weeks ago.  

And there was a Serenity Springs mention today!

8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's just spec at the moment that RoHo will be Todd on GH.

Yeah, all we know right now is that Franco is dead (or "dead") and that RH is taking an indeterminate break, but will return eventually.  Whether that's as Franco, Todd, or he gets the Michael Easton Triple Special, we don't know.

Edited by TeeVee329

Wow, now that you said it, I'm kinda surprised they didn't kill Dr. Bensch.  Could have been a lame story for Kiki and Griffin.  Huh.

If we're talking dream OLTL references, I don't actually want them on the show because Port Charles is toxic, but a scene where Lucas laments his lame love life and mentions to someone that his doctor friend from Pennsylvania is adopting a second child with his cop husband would do me just fine.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Alan Locher is doing an Agnes Nixon tribute discussion on Wednesday, March 31st, at 3 PM Eastern. Other than her son, Robert Nixon, it's mostly All My Children people--Susan Lucci, Peter Bergman, Debbi Morgan, and Darnell Williams, along with one of the show's biggest fans, CAROL BURNETT (!!!!--I always knew she was a huge fan and even appeared on the show several times, but the fact that Alan actually got her to appear on his YouTube show to talk about this is actually pretty amazing)--BUT, Erika Slezak will be there, too. I wish there were more OLTL peeps participating in this--someone like Michael Storm (Larry) would have certainly fit for this--but I'm always happy to see Erika again, of course.

• Love 2
(edited)

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2021/04/01/rumor-report-abc-nixes-roger-howarth-as-todd-on-general-hospital?fbclid=IwAR0Z2Tn6awrxMlXEShu4DImC1sQQXq4B7ZcYo7jgZL7hAFr28cuoeXeSbTE

I made my thoughts on this known in the Press thread on the GH board, but I've already talked here in the past about how Todd can't work anymore, period (or at least not for many years), and Frank needs to accept it. The network clearly has.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but OLTL was the $1200 Double Jeopardy clue on this past Tuesday 3/30. 
The category was:  Abbreviations in TV and the answer was

”A soap that was set in Llanview. OLTL”.

• Love 1

The show was also in today's Wall Street Journal crossword puzzle. Its clue: Classic daytime series full of knotty situations. The theme of the puzzle was "cut," where the theme answers were randomly broken in two. 

• Love 1
On 4/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, jsbt said:

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2021/04/01/rumor-report-abc-nixes-roger-howarth-as-todd-on-general-hospital?fbclid=IwAR0Z2Tn6awrxMlXEShu4DImC1sQQXq4B7ZcYo7jgZL7hAFr28cuoeXeSbTE

I made my thoughts on this known in the Press thread on the GH board, but I've already talked here in the past about how Todd can't work anymore, period (or at least not for many years), and Frank needs to accept it. The network clearly has.

I think it's absolutely the right call, but also kinda surprising that now's when they decided to draw that line in the sand, because they might have been able to turn a Todd return into some kind of bump.  It's also kinda surprising that now is when they gave up on Franco after the literal years of whitewashing.

It also says to me that Frank is clearly still thinking about/trying to incorporate the other ABC soaps into Port Charles.

(edited)

He'll never stop. It's ridiculous at this point. I love the rich history of the ABC Daytime soaps, I wish there was more opportunity for crossover by virtue of other existing soaps, but when you have only one show left and you're running it into the ground with bad creative choices you do not have the room to be riffing on all the others that you'd prefer to still be in charge of.

I do wonder what made them kill Franco now. It sounds like the network discontent over the character built over time, which would not surprise me given IRL events of recent years and possibly executive turnover (ETA: this is confirmed - two of Frank's longtime superiors were cycled out of ABCD last year). As I've said before, I don't think you could ever allow Todd to be a conventional lead on any soap again. Were OLTL back I'd keep him dead for many years, then only consider resurrecting him in such a way that you could continue to keep his role at a kind of arm's length from the main focus, coming in and out, and not leading the canvas and dominating the show. How exactly you could thread that needle, I don't know.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, jsbt said:

He'll never stop. It's ridiculous at this point. I love the rich history of the ABC Daytime soaps, I wish there was more opportunity for crossover by virtue of other existing soaps, but when you have only one show left and you're running it into the ground with bad creative choices you do not have the room to be riffing on all the others that you'd prefer to still be in charge of.

I think the way they used Nora - just having her come to town for professional purposes and then go right back to Llanview - is the best we can hope for.  I'd love to see Clint used in a similar capacity, as a scheming businessman causing trouble for ELQ.  But as much as I'd die to see Clint come to town with a scheming Kimmie on his arm, or Fish and Kyle suddenly appear as Port Charles' new cop/doctor power couple, I can acknowledge that that's fan service that shouldn't be a priority when the overall narrative of the show is often floundering, even more so than once again giving an OLTL actor a third bite at the character apple.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I think the way they used Nora - just having her come to town for professional purposes and then go right back to Llanview - is the best we can hope for.  I'd love to see Clint used in a similar capacity, as a scheming businessman causing trouble for ELQ. 

I thought Nora was used well, and I wouldn't be mad if they brought her back occasionally. I'd love for Clint to come to town to cause trouble for ELQ, but he'd ultimately lose, and because dumb-fuck Michael is just the bestest international businessman ever. Ugh. No, thanks.

Fish and Kyle suddenly appear as Port Charles' new cop/doctor power couple,

This wouldn't necessarily be fan service, though, given that the PCPD and GH are character centers (or as much as they can be on this fakakta show). But it will never happen.

• Love 2

I didn't mind seeing Nora. But again, these all feel like indulgences of a producer who has run his actual show into the ground while pining for another. It feels inappropriate to the moment. In theory Nora appearing occasionally is fine. In practice, when we're on Howarth's third character and Easton's fourth, come on.

• Love 2

Nora works for me because HBS has only ever been Nora, and she's coming to GH as Nora. 

I enjoy thinking that Frank is furious that his OLTL characters haven't worked on GH for various reasons, one of them his own hubris.

• Love 1

WE ARE GETTING A CRAMER WOMEN REUNION! I REPEAT, WE ARE GETTING A CRAMER WOMEN REUNION, THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

(...minus Robin Strasser, despite the picture here, please don't hit me with tomatoes, I'm just the messenger.)

It will be on Saturday, May 1st, at 5:30 PM Eastern.

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

Of course Robin would opt out, lol. What a diva, I love her.

I suppose it's always possible she could show up as a surprise guest, but then Alan would have opted for a photo that didn't include her, so yeah you're probably right lol. 

• Love 1
On 4/16/2021 at 4:46 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Renée Elise Goldsberry (Evangeline Williamson) will be co-starring in "She-Hulk":

https://deadline.com/2021/04/she-hulk-renee-elise-goldsberry-to-join-disney-marvel-series-1234730667/

Which makes her - after Laura Harrier in "Spider-Man: Homecoming" and excluding Friend of the 'Verse Scott Evans - the second alum to join the MCU, unless I'm forgetting someone.

John Brotherton (Jared) was in Guardians of the Galaxy VERY briefly, as a Nova Corps pilot. Alas, I believe he got blowed up.

Oh wait! Tommy Lee Jones was in Captain America as Colonel Phillips, who was a big part of recruiting and "creating" Cap. A much larger role.

Edited by tracyscott76
I forgot Tommy Lee Jones!

Oh right, Tommy Lee!  My touchstone for Mr. Jones is "The Fugitive" or "Batman Forever" so I always forget he's part of the family.

Poor John Brotherton.  Killed off in the MCU (apparently, I don't remember him in that movie at all) and killed off in the F&F universe.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Poor John Brotherton.  Killed off in the MCU (apparently, I don't remember him in that movie at all) and killed off in the F&F universe.

Seriously, it was a tiny role and easy to miss. You only ever saw him in the cockpit of his spaceship a couple of times, and he was just one of many other nameless pilots who all died at the same time. Still cool to see him, though.

"Hey, it's Jared!"

"ohhhh he dead."

Just a reminder: The Cramer Women reunion with Alan Locher is tomorrow afternoon, May 1st, at 5:30 PM Eastern. As always, you can watch it either live or after it's complete (like I usually do).

• Love 1
(edited)

Does anyone remember any of Forbes March's stint on All My Children as Scott Chandler? Was he the Scott who was in a triangle with Leo and Greenlee, or was he the one who was involved with that blonde girl who got pregnant by a guy with douchey hair who I'm pretty sure later played Rafe on Port Charles and anyway was actually in love with one of the lesser Santos girls, one of the ones who wasn't Maria or Julia?

ETA: Bobby Warner! That's who Douchey Boy Band Hair was! And the girl he knocked up was a Martin, I think, and Edmund and Maria ended up adopting their kid. I think Daniel Cosgrove was the Scott Chandler that was involved in that teen scene. So Forbes March was probably the one with Leo and Greenlee. Weird, I remember the two of them clearly but can't picture him at all.

This was random. I don't know why I was wondering about this in the first place.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 1

Forbes was definitely the one with Leo and Greenlee, and he was terrible. Forbes' Scott and Abigail Spencer's Becca were one of Agnes' last attempts at one of her classic teen couple archetypes (rich boy/poor girl) and it bombed; instead, the interlopers, Leo and Greenlee, became the stars. I always liked Abigail Spencer though.

• Love 2

I don't remember Becca Tyree either! I know Abigail Spencer from Rectify, but have zero recollection of her on AMC. I suppose that's not surprising; for whatever reason, I never did get into that show like I did OLTL and GH. Leo and Greenlee, though, that was money.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I don't remember Becca Tyree either! I know Abigail Spencer from Rectify, but have zero recollection of her on AMC. I suppose that's not surprising; for whatever reason, I never did get into that show like I did OLTL and GH. Leo and Greenlee, though, that was money.

I'm one of the very few who preferred Greenlee with Jake, and I never really watched AMC except for the last few minutes before OLTL came on. Although I will concede that I liked the scenes with Leo & Greenlee when JD made his brief return in 2011, so maybe I'd like them better now, who knows.

Also: Even though I was the one who posted most of the reminders about the Cramer Women reunion earlier this month, I have yet to watch it, but I will soon and will post my thoughts here!

I do know LBK/Cassie became a life coach, though; I've seen her social media accounts where it says that in her profile. I have always wondered if she ever asked by anyone at OLTL to return to the show permanently, and if she turned it down because her experience of getting fired by JFP midway through her maternity leave made it too painful to come back on a regular basis; she probably had a good case for a lawsuit against JFP/ABC at the time (a la Hunter Tylo/Aaron Spelling), but given how close she was to giving birth by then (again, having been fired after going on her MATERNITY LEAVE, UGH), I can understand why she probably just chose to let it go and move on. 

Leo and Greenlee had 'the bet' about Becca that he could get her into bed (I think she was a virgin?) right? Forbes was terrible as Scott. I was big into Leo/Greenlee but as far as triangles go Jake/Greenlee/Leo was a decent one. 

Anyway, RH's new character, a doctor named Austin, has started on GH and neither Maxie or Liz has commented that he looks like Franco so it seems they're just gonna ignore that (unless it happens today.) 

3 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Leo and Greenlee had 'the bet' about Becca that he could get her into bed (I think she was a virgin?) right?

Ah, a Cruel Intentions kinda thing. That rings a faint bell, but I still can't remember Becca. Besides being Greenlee's true love,  I remember Leo trying to seduce some European heiress for her money and being good friends with Bianca and marrying Nutty Laura because she was dying or something (I think she ended up with European Heiress' heart?) and Palmer mistaking him for Vanessa's boytoy though he was actually her Scandalous Secret Son and there was the whole very confusing Proteus thing that I don't think I even followed at time.

Wait, what thread am I in? Um, Ryan Phillippe, aka Billy Douglas, starred in Cruel Intentions.

8 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Wait, what thread am I in? Um, Ryan Phillippe, aka Billy Douglas, starred in Cruel Intentions.

Opposite Sarah Michelle Gellar, Kendall Hart from "All My Children"! ;)

Jumping into this conversation late, I never saw Forbes March as Scott (I feel like when I started watching, it was deep into Leo/Greenlee/Laura) and the only Scott I recognize is Daniel Cosgrove from the last year or so, I loved him and Madison as a more grounded, B-level couple.

12 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Anyway, RH's new character, a doctor named Austin, has started on GH and neither Maxie or Liz has commented that he looks like Franco so it seems they're just gonna ignore that (unless it happens today.) 

I have to admit, I groaned when Doctor Roger Howarth came upon Maxie and started babbling about bears or whatever the hell.  I'm just kinda over his schtick, and there's really no reason for him to still be on GH. *shrug*

• Love 1

This...not great EW article on grounding LGTBQ storylines on soaps of course talks Billy Douglas: 

https://ew.com/tv/daytime-dramas-lgbtq-characters/

It's just super clear the author had no context/did not watch these shows, i.e. no mention of how Bianca's groundbreaking marriage to (awful, terrible) Reese ended a day later because Reese kissed a dude the night before. 

And no mention of Fish and Kyle having soaps' first on-screen same-sex love scene, WTH!

• Love 1

I mean, Billy Douglas did get a whole section, but they could have mentioned there that Billy opened a door that led to Kyle and Fish having the first same-sex on-screen sex scene, that that was Billy's legacy (we'll forget about Daniel Colson and what's-his-face from the Love House and, you know, the way Frank scapegoated Kyle and Fish out of town).

• Love 2

Speaking of Fish, Scott Evans (Oliver Fish) gets a few lines as a concierge in brother Chris' 2014 directorial debut "Before We Go".  The movie itself is a charming if slight romantic dramedy in the "Before Sunrise" vein.

• Love 1

I watched a 1986 movie, Saving Grace, for the first time in many years today; It's about the Pope essentially wandering off to another village where he can help the people on the ground, rather than act as essentially  a figurehead. It co-stars Patricia Mauceri (Carlotta 1.0).

The Catholic aspect of the movie made me think about how crazy PM's departure was from the show; objecting to the idea of Kyle & Fish being a couple/not thinking she would accept Cristian as gay (when I think he was pretending he was for some reason or another? I can't remember why, though), to the point where she actually re-wrote her dialogue (!!!!!!). Just wild.