Type keyword(s) to search

OLTL Outside Llanview: The Cast In Other Roles

• Start Topic

On 2/1/2022 at 8:42 PM, Panopticon said:

FFS, if you want to do a late-in-life coming out story, don't undo a couple that was itself groundbreaking in the process.

Also, do it with a couple that was actually still on the canvas. Don't chicken out and have it be a couple you don't actually have to write for after the story is done.

Hell, they could have just done it with Jack and finally just write off Jennifer for good. It's clear the show doesn't care about that ship.

He was also apparently super close to getting Jesse Metcalfe's role in the "Dallas" reboot, which would have been fun.

Man, I wish he had. Jesse Metcalfe is cute but compelling actor he is not. My biggest bitch about the Dallas reboot was that I just didn't care about any of the next  generation. I was also too busy being disturbed by how skeletal Jordana Brewster looks.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

Weird OLTL shoutout on "General Hospital" last week.  Apparently, Lord Enterprises, the bigger media company behind The Banner, is downsizing their print editions.  It's mentioned that they're keeping The Banner for legacy reasons, but are selling off some of their West Coast papers to, of all people, Shawn Butler, who's been in the newspaper game five minutes.

It's the excuse to exit Butler's portrayer, Sean Blakemore, from Port Charles and the show.  But...why this, this throwaway nod to Viki's assets being shaky?

Edited by TeeVee329

I mean, the Banner was shaky ten years ago, on the online show. Print media has only gotten worse. I don't think they're trying to drag OLTL though, otherwise they'd have said the Banner folded and Viki was insolvent.

• Love 1

Oh, I didn't think they were trying to drag OLTL, it was just a weird way to get Shawn off the show.  He's owned this Port Charles paper for five minutes,  but now he's ready take on a whole bunch of them in cities he doesn't know.  'kay?

I've been in a soap watching mood lately, but since none of the surviving soaps work for me in their current iterations, I've been watching 1980s Days on YouTube. I've just started 1989, which is widely regarded to be an unusually weak year in comparison to what came right before and what came right after.

One of the many problems with Days 1989 is that the new characters are flops and generally poorly cast. Among these characters is Cal. Cal was MIA/POW for six years and wants to reunite with his fiancee, who has moved on. With that backstory, Cal should be somewhat sympathetic, but he's just not. He's viscerally awful and the actor manages exactly zero layers even when Cal does things like try to take the fall for a crime committed by his ex-fiancee. The actor was so bad I looked him up to see if he ever worked again... and it was Wortham Krimmer, best known as Andrew on OLTL.

I only ever saw a few clips of him on OLTL, and I thought he was fine then. Was he actually fine, or did he remain awful in larger doeses?

• Love 1

I always liked Wortham Krimmer as Andrew. Of course, I was still a kid when Andrew was a contract character, so maybe my memories are a little rose-colored, but I thought Krimmer did a fine job with a character that could be difficult to play. Andrew was a genuinely good man, a man of faith, but he wasn't milquetoast. He had passions and anger and he wasn't perfect, but he mostly avoided (IMO) being a self-righteous hypocrite.

• Love 1

Thanks! That was what I thought, but I had a very small sample size. Maybe he's one of those rare actors who's genuinely better at playing basically good characters as opposed to villains (which Cal definitely is, tragic backstory or no).

There was a Scott Evans reference on Days of Our Lives today.  Leo, the stereotypical gay character, mentioned something about Chris Evans, and Chad asked him, "Chris Evans is gay?"  "No, but his brother is."

• Love 4
(edited)

*shrug* Thought it was a kinda cute wink to OLTL/Kish/Fish, even if I think the story Ron is doing on DOOL is stupid, and one he already attempted (badly) with Brad, Felix, and Michael on GH.

In other Kish news, Brett Claywell (Kyle Lewis) has co-founded some kind of media/tech collective called SOLIS, it made Variety last week because it's financing a slate of films.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/defiant-studios-co-financinig-kodiak-solis-1235213091/

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

There was a Lola Montez shoutout on Days today when Camila Banus’ Gabi needed an alias. If only Ronald was as good at other aspects of writing as he is at cute winks to OLTL. 

(Ron is also currently redoing the Teen Jessica storyline on Days. Except this time the character thinks she's five and in love with someone she didn't actually share scenes with when she was featured as a child character... though to be fair it's reasonable to assume they played together offscreen.)

Edited by Panopticon
On 3/12/2022 at 5:58 PM, TeeVee329 said:

I suspected as much as he posted the other day about heading out of LA for a few weeks, but Scott Evans (Oliver Fish) has booked some kind of new role!: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca_UvCtOekK/

So the role he booked is in a pretty high-profile project, it's the "Barbie" movie being directed by Greta Gerwig ("Lady Bird", the most recent "Little Women") and starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling among others!

https://deadline.com/2022/04/barbie-kingsley-ben-adir-rhea-perlman-emerald-fennell-scott-evans-others-rounding-out-cast-of-warner-bros-mattel-and-luckychap-pic-1235002559/

barbie-girl-barbie-world.gif

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I thought of you when I saw the news! You and your Clint & Kim ship. <3

I've watched him on Alan Locher's show the last two years, and while he was obviously older now (that said, not as old as I originally thought), he still looked and sounded pretty good.

Loved him as Clint, and as Ross on Guiding Light, too.

RIP, Jerry. :'(

• Love 4

Very sad. I had a feeling it was coming based on past talk, but it's still a big shock and a heartbreak.

Most knew JVD best for his wonderful years on GL, but I knew him best from OLTL. I felt he essayed the role of Clint Buchanan very well in turbulent times, making the character his own and evolving it, often rising well above bad writing. His chemistry with Bob Woods and Erika Slezak was different from his predecessor but stellar and crackling, and he was a sage voice both onscreen and in support of the show. But more than all of that, he was an icon and a brilliant brand ambassador for the soaps and soap opera history, a tower of charisma, striking intelligence and class. He'll be so missed.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Very sad. I had a feeling it was coming based on past talk, but it's still a big shock and a heartbreak.

Most knew JVD best for his wonderful years on GL, but I knew him best from OLTL. I felt he essayed the role of Clint Buchanan very well in turbulent times, making the character his own and evolving it, often rising well above bad writing. His chemistry with Bob Woods and Erika Slezak was different from his predecessor but stellar and crackling, and he was a sage voice both onscreen and in support of the show. But more than all of that, he was an icon and a brilliant brand ambassador for the soaps and soap opera history, a tower of charisma, striking intelligence and class. He'll be so missed.

So well said.  JVD was one of the best recasts I've ever seen and just a delight to watch no matter what.

What a loss.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

But more than all of that, he was an icon and a brilliant brand ambassador for the soaps and soap opera history

I remember a great interview he gave - right around the time the whole Clint/Nora/Bo thing blew up on-screen - that it wasn't about special effects or stunts, that if the narrative was there, viewers would watch them perform it in front of a black curtain.  Such a simple but grand statement about the power of soaps.

He also gave a very funny interview, when he got paired with Kim, joking that he finally got to quit dying his hair and embrace his silver fox-y-ness  and he was getting a pairing with a younger woman lol.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5

Erika:

For anyone who knew Jerry verDorn, Sunday, May 1st, was a heartbreakingly sad day. He was a man of such warmth and kindness, talent, intelligence and most importantly humor, that every day spent working with him could hardly be called work. It was joy. He so loved what he did and was so very good at it. I was the very lucky recipient of his last 8 years in daytime and I thank God for that.

He made every day one to look forward to. I will always think of him with that lovely, rather impish, smile on his face, and that will stay in my heart forever. I know that he has gone to a peaceful place, with no pain. I send my love and deepest sympathies to Beth and their sons and their families, of whom he was so very proud. They have lost a great man.

• Love 1

Kristen Alderson (Starr Manning), John Brotherton (Jared Banks) and Matt Walton (Elijah Clarke) are also in the replies on Melissa's post.

I didn't see Kassie's, so here:

• Love 2

Catherine Hickland (Lindsay):

Jerry verDorn has graduated to Heaven. What a wonderful man, so very funny, so very talented, and most important, so very kind. I am sad he left us so early, my thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family, who I'm sure are devastated. I'll never forget him leaving a sticky note on Hilary Smith's [Nora] dressing room that said, "Good News! I found your hormones in my dressing room!" that really made me laugh, he was just adorable. God Speed, Jerry.

Amanda Setton (Kim):

I am so very sorry to hear this news. I was so fortunate to have worked with Jerry early in my career. I learned so much from him. I remember we would often run lines in his dressing room, classical music playing and all. His preparation and commitment to his craft was inspiring. He was an incredible actor, the consummate professional; prepared, present, supportive, and kind. He treated everyone with such respect and admiration. We have lost someone special. I am holding his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Ron Carlivati:

Sad to hear the news that Jerry Ver Dorn has passed away. Jerry stepped into the role of Clint Buchanan in 2005 and quickly made it his own, playing a loving husband and father and eventually a very convincing villain, although the man himself was all heart. Rest in peace. #OLTL

• Love 4
(edited)

Aw, I'm selfishly pleased we heard from Amanda Setton, she doesn't do social media at all so I wasn't sure we would.

Everyone's condolences are so nice.  Unsurprisingly, sounds like verDorn was a lovely guy who was a pleasure to work with.  Sob!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

For anyone who misses the woman of overdramatic screams and hair eating (can you tell Tea bugged me a lot?), May 13th is the day for you:

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I DO think FloLo is a good actress, but it would ALWAYS take me right out of a scene when Tea would have to get upset about something--her screaming and crying was SO over the top that I either started laughing my ass off or worried that I would go deaf. Or both.

A big example would be when she confronted Todd after Victor Jr.'s funeral, and when she realized that they were still in the church, she started SCREECHING about them being on "sacred ground", and how he had to "GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!"

(In fairness, it's been a LONG while since I've seen it, and for the sake of my eardrums, I prefer to not find out if I'm right about that last part or not, at least not at this time of night.)

The fact that, as I mentioned before, that she literally got a chunk of hair in her mouth that she had to basically spit out as she started yelling at him cracked me up, too. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
(edited)

I love Florencia, and over the years there were times I really enjoyed Téa. They didn't always write her well but FL always delivered onscreen, had great rapport with a lot of actors, and she was an essential element for me by the time of the online show. Téa was also a character who FL always knew better than the writers, so whenever she still needed to be inserted into a story as a scheming lawyer with less overbearing morality than the others she could do it (and still could). I will be watching.

Edited by jsbt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, jsbt said:

I love Florencia, and over the years there were times I really enjoyed Téa. They didn't always write her well but FL always delivered onscreen, had great rapport with a lot of actors, and she was an essential element for me by the time of the online show. Téa was also a character who FL always knew better than the writers, so whenever she still needed to be inserted into a story as a scheming lawyer with less overbearing morality than the others she could do it (and still could). I will be watching.

Well said! Tea was nuts but I loved it. Looking forward to what Florencia has to say.

• Love 3

Agreed.  Tea could be A Lot (she was THE WORST during the Widow Delgado era towards the end of the ABC run), but FloLo always tore into it.  And ditto what @jsbt said about always enjoying Tea when she was in shark lawyer mode.

• Love 4

Tea was a lot more enjoyable when the writers stopped treating her like she was always right. Girl was fucked. Up. That was the thing to lean into. Flo did but for way way way too long the writers did not.

• Love 1

Agreed! Tea was crazy as hell (and, often, annoying as hell). Flo played it to the hilt, although sometimes she got too shrill and/or weepy for me. She worked well with Kassie. I liked Tea more when she was written as a grey character. It made her more three-dimensional. I liked when she and Blair were written more as equals, like on the online show. At best, Tea is an anti-heroine and even that is debatable. I'll be sure to tune in. 

• Love 3

Josh Kelly (Cutter Wentworth) is the latest OLTL-er to land at "General Hospital":

https://deadline.com/2022/05/general-hospital-josh-kelly-cast-abc-drama-1235020568/

On one hand, I really grew to enjoy Kelly as Cutter towards the end of the show, and I'm here already for him being paired with Kelly Thiebaud's Britt.

On the other, I really hope that the speculation that he's a recast Jason isn't true because that would not be a good fit IMO, just make him a rascally paramedic!  

On yet a third hand, get him in scenes with Amanda Setton immediately so I can pretend I'm watching my scheming Wentworth sibs!

• Love 4
(edited)

If JK is playing Lucky or Dillon Quartermaine, then he's a solid choice. If he's anyone else it is a waste of space on an already very overcrowded show. I do think it's a shame his primetime career hit the skids so fast.

I highly doubt that he is Jason. He's a shade too young and they're unlikely to make the same mistake twice with recasting. They will want to keep the door open for God-King Steve Burton despite his incredible IRL selfishness that IMO meant the character should be dead for good, but they aren't likely to feel that way. Unless he completely nukes his bridges they will hold the role for him.

I've only watched part of the Florencia interview but she gushes about Kassie a lot. And she looks great unmade up. Hard to believe it's been almost ten years. She also talks about the terror of Live Week, which IIRC was her first airdate on her 2002 return. (I seem to recall her flubbing her lines on Day 2.) And gushes about working with Robin Mattson who she grew up watching, and Kim Zimmer on OLTL. Then starts going in about Linda Dano! I didn't know FL was such a child of the soaps - she's very passionate about them.

Florencia is now a playwright as well as a performer. Frankly the soaps could do worse than importing executive talent like that, as they once did with others like Francesca James.

Edited by jsbt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/25/2022 at 6:31 AM, TeeVee329 said:

Per Instagram, Scott Evans (Oliver Fish) has booked a multi-episode guest arc on an Amazon series: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfK-Y7fF2yT/

No word yet on the show, my first thought was maybe "Reacher"?

So the Amazon series he's joining is "With Love": 

https://deadline.com/2022/07/with-love-scott-evans-cast-amazon-1235061138/

I've never seen it, but it's from the creator of the Netflix "One Day at a Time" (which I loved) and the first season is only 5 episodes so I think I'm gonna check it out and get ready for Scott's appearance.

Edited by TeeVee329