Type keyword(s) to search

Benedict Cumberbatch: Not Your Father's Sherlock

Hopefully it will work. I know there are worst problems in the world but when I saw Something Rotten this idiot woman in front of me kept texting during the show even when I asked her politely to stop.  When you spend a lot of money to see a show and someone idiot ruins it because they can't turn off their phone for 3 hours....If Benedict's influence works, it will be a nice legacy of his.

• Love 1

I like how, in the picture they used to click on to hear the interview, the blue background matches Ben's eyes and his jacket compliments them.

<on a more serious note>

He's doing as much good as he can while his celebrity star is hot, isn't he? Good on him.

• Love 1

“Out of nowhere came this ‘F*** the politicians’ remark,” one audience member told the Daily Mail. “It’s not quite what you’d expect when you go for an evening with the bard, but it got a few cheers.”

Oh, for Pete's sake.....yes, you just sat through an evening where about 9 people were murdered and gasp he used the f word.  And, please, Bill uses a lot of naughty words in his plays.

Article from The New Yorker about the stage door at the theatre http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/waiting-for-benedict-cumberbatch.  After my Monday night attendance (I went three times), I stood in the crowd but didn't get close at all to BC (got the autographs of two other cast members though).  In order to get close enough to get a signature, you had to get there about 40 minutes before the show ended...which means going when you don't have a ticket or leaving the show during intermission.  Which I heard people say that people did.  No regrets though - I'm glad I saw the entire show. 

The show ended on the 31st - and he never once missed a performance!  His parents and Sophie were there the last night.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

Edited because that article above directly says (without having to cite elsewhere) that after concluding his Strange filming, Cumberbatch will then start filming Sherlock S4. (Cue At Last by Etta James in my brain.)

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 1

In case anyone cares, my father's Sherlock Holmes was Basil Rathbone. My definitive Sherlock Holmes was Jeremy Brett. However, I am enjoying BC's Sherlock too. He said once that he hopes to play Sherlock for many years or decades, didn't he? I hope so!

However, I am enjoying BC's Sherlock too. He said once that he hopes to play Sherlock for many years or decades, didn't he? I hope so!

Both he and Martin Freeman have said many times that they want to keep doing Sherlock for as long as possible and Benedict has said more than once that he'd love to be doing Sherlock into old age.

• Love 1

Jasper Rees of The Telegraph saw the screening on Tuesday and described Benedict’s performance as “dazzling,” saying “he outrageously steals every scene he’s in,” even confiding his darkest secrets to camera, like a medieval Frank Underwood.

I'm sorry but Jasper Rees is an idiot.  Who does he think that Frank Underwood stole that from?  Because I'm pretty sure that Richard III was written before House of Cards. 

I'm really looking forward to see this - even though I'm not a fan of the play RIII (since its just Tudor propaganda and he was innocent!).  Though, the opening line is awesome (Now is the winter of our discontent.....)

• Love 2

Heh, M.Darcy--I think we can safely agree that RIII was innocent, seeing as Nero Wolfe investigated the case and came to the same conclusion! (So did Josephine Tey's Inspector Grant, in The Daughter of Time.)

• Love 1

BC had a busy weekend - he was in NY filming Doctor Strange, he lost the Oliver Award for Hamlet and apparently he's flying back to start filming Sherlock tomorrow (according to a fan who ran into Louise Brealey in Belgium).

Benedict also popped in unannounced--in full costume, and trailed by the crew--to a local comic book store nearby the NYC location. (I'm on my phone so I can't bring the link, but it's easy to find!)

New trailer for Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses https://amp.twimg.com/v/9649b5d5-08aa-40d2-99e2-873ff82b78a7

Also, who are these people who has a full-time job making lists of reason to love Benedict Cumberbatch (like this one), and why isn't one of them me?

I think we would do a better job - some of those are old. There are much better current ones to use. Such as the visit to the comic book store dressed as Doctor Strange and the really great fact that we have yet to see a picture of the baby.  He and Sophie have managed to keep him private. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

I think we would do a better job - some of those are old. There are much better current ones to use. Such as the visit to the comic book store dressed as Doctor Strange and the really great fact that we have yet to see a picture of the baby.  He and Sophie have managed to keep him private. 

IKR? (I did see a photo of Benedict and Sophie walking in New York while Benedict cuddles the baby, but the baby's face was pixilated out.)

(I did see a photo of Benedict and Sophie walking in New York while Benedict cuddles the baby, but the baby's face was pixilated out.)

I never saw those - I did see pictures with Sophie visiting him on the set.   I'm guessing the baby has adorable cheekbones :-)  BC did say on Jimmy Kimmel that Christopher was using the pendant (??) that Doctor Strange wears to teeth on.

• Love 1

You can see a few photos with pixilated baby Cumberbatch here.

BC did say on Jimmy Kimmel that Christopher was using the pendant (??) that Doctor Strange wears to teeth on.

Hahahahaha! I bet the prop and costume departments weren't too thrilled with that, but how appropriate!

FYI, the first part of The Hollow Crown: the War of the Roses airs this Saturday on BBC2 in England.  I don't believe that Richard (BC) is in episode one - I think his first appearance is in episode 2/Henry VI part 2.  But fyi, in case anyone wanted to start from the beginning.  No word yet on when episode 2 airs. 

• Love 1