Type keyword(s) to search

Benedict Cumberbatch: Not Your Father's Sherlock

I think everyone's main question is going to be what the hair will look like. 

I'm also wondering if its going to be traditional or modern.  Heh, I still remember years ago when I saw Kevin Kline in Hamlet I was a little disappointed it was a modern dress production - I wanted to see Kevin in the tights.  He did look nice in the suit of course but not the same.

Good news for those not able to go see Hamlet and would like a program or poster - the Barbican tweeted this morning that the Hamlet shop will be available online.   

And, it seems like returns are coming in so it looks like there might be some tickets available for sale again on their website. 

The media is acting like is so shocking.  We've known about it since the beginning.  Plus, I'm relieved.  After 3 hours of Hamlet, the thought of waiting around in what would have been a madhouse would have been exhausting.  But the media is trying to make us seem like crazed fans who won't know how to behave at the theatre.

Here is a very nice article about the fans - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/30/theater/benedict-cumberbatch-a-hamlet-whos-one-hot-ticket-in-london.html?_r=0

• Love 1

(For the record, I've been going to performances of Shakespeare since high school--roughly as long as Benedict has been alive. I imagine a reasonably high percentage of his fans can make similar claims, even if not all of them have been alive quite that long.)

Edited by rereader2

Yeah, its like they expect we are losers who never leave their houses and don't know how to behave in public.  We are going to spend all this money and not sit quietly, listen and watch one of the greatest plays ever written.  Grrr.

Last night at the first preview, the fans were fine.  It was the press that was the problem.  A few papers actually published reviews of the play today....after one performance.  Which if you don't know theatre, its just not done.  Plus, one paper took pictures during the performance and published them.  Again, not done - on both counts.  If fans had done that, the papers today would be mocking us.  Jerks.  Which is why I'm not linking to any reviews.  I will wait until the official opening. 

On a happier note, Benedict's parents and Sophie were at the first performance.  Hee, I'm guessing the baby stayed home.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

A few papers actually published reviews of the play today....after one performance.  Which if you don't know theatre, its just not done.  Plus, one paper took pictures during the performance and published them.  Again, not done - on both counts.  If fans had done that, the papers today would be mocking us.  Jerks.  Which is why I'm not linking to any reviews.  I will wait until the official opening.

SO VERY not done. Remember the enormous todo there was when some papers gave up and published reviews of the Spiderman previews, despite the fact that the thing had been running for ages with full-paying audiences. Previews are PREviews, and the regular run of the show hasn't begun yet, and the performances (let alone the technical aspects) aren't finalized. Boo.

To be fair, some BC fans at the Frankenstein show were jackasses.

Yeah, there are always a few people who don't have manners in any group. They don't necessarily define that group!

It was quite a first week.  An actor got sick during one of the performances and the understudy came in mid show, they had technical difficulties and now that.  But that's previews. Which is why you don't review the show during previews.

I'm surprised that they waited until this week to bring in devices to prevent filming. 

• Love 1

It was quite a first week.  An actor got sick during one of the performances and the understudy came in mid show, they had technical difficulties and now that.  But that's previews. Which is why you don't review the show during previews.

I'm surprised that they waited until this week to bring in devices to prevent filming. 

EXACTLY!! 

And yeah. I guess they had hoped they wouldn't need to bring in the electronic policing? But it's everywhere--several Broadway actors have thrown fits (however polite) IN THE MIDDLE OF SHOWS about it. Can't people just enjoy an experience in real life any more?

Can't people just enjoy an experience in real life any more?

Exactly! When I see Hamlet, I want to actually have all my attention on what's happening on the stage and not watch if via my itouch.  Plus, its super rude to the people around you and the actors.  If you want to really see it and can't get to London, its being released in the theatres in mid October.   You don't need to have people post it on the internet.  

FYI, if you wind up making a last minute trip to London, every so often tickets become available via the Barbican website.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

Lord.  Its just a show.  Its only the second week and so much controversy. Though, now I think some of the articles are just lets find something new to criticize.  Heh, if she thinks the Barbican are over policing, she should attend a Broadway Show.  Those ushers really make sure the audience is behaving.

• Love 2

Heh, if she thinks the Barbican are over policing, she should attend a Broadway Show.  Those ushers really make sure the audience is behaving.

Seriously! I took my niece to see Matilda last week (it's wonderful), and the ushers were pretty much climbing over the backs of seats to make people turn off their phones, and they are not in the least bit apologetic about it. (For which I say THANK YOU USHERS!)

• Love 1

Actually just heard the first criticism directed to BC's performance on BBC world news ... mild and correctable, that his Hamlet lacks sufficient vulnerability, not quite "shattered" enough, to encourage the sort of empathy to move the audience's relationship with Hamlet to that next level. Tennant was mentioned.  Mostly this Hamlet appears a bit too in control of himself and his destiny to be that wobblingly torn or paralyzed fellow we identify with. Most of the criticism I've seen has been all about the production and sets ... too clever for its own good, distracting, distancing, for instance, focused lighting of Hamlet with a halo-effect interfering with observing the interaction with other characters and Hamlet and staging interfering with observing between other characters (the finale play within a play) ... who knows. Audience apparently loved it, but it sounds like the physical spectacle won-out over the play, story and characters  ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower

I've read a half-dozen reviews and Cumberbatch is fairly universally getting praised ... and the 'production', affectations and curlicues are getting drubbed ...

with quick mention that similar productions catering to the youth audience have been very successful and made lots of money and satisfied their intended audience ...  who don't care about the "story" and have no frame of reference except perhaps someone else's performance on Netflix or Amazon ... 

Saw some short video clips of Richard Burton ... goodness he was a great compelling black-hole of riveting actoring ... 

• Love 1

Benedict and Sophie's name for the baby was in the British press this weekend.  Its Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch. 

Hee, its a lovely name but I keep thinking the first time he's gets in trouble, that is the perfect name when he gets the Mom lecture and she uses his full name.  And, of course, by trouble I mean normal trouble all kids get into.  Christopher Carlton Cumberbatch - why haven't you eaten your vegetables.

• Love 2