Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E03: Toying with Fashion

• Start Topic

Frustrating every unconventional materials challenge when there are top looks from a material that is essentially just fabric, like a tent. Brittney’s dress has been done a million times before and hot gluing a bunch of crap on the top doesn’t make it better. Given it was an unconventional materials challenge, I think she really deserved to be in the bottom.

At least Rami’s kite dress had a story. And I doubt he would have been in the bottom if he had a size zero model. Imagine if Hester tried their outfit w his model? I love having plus side models for the show but the judges really should keep that in mind when judging that clothes are much easier to “shape” when the model has very little shape.

Wish Mila had expressed more of a point of view. Laurance does not seem like she wants to be there. Nina’s “but did you?” killed me.

With the guest judge’s ridiculous eye makeup, it looked like she barely opened her eyes. Could she even see past those lashes?

• Like 13

I loved Victor's look; it was so cute, so polished and put together!  I love how he must have painted a lot of those boomerangs to make them the same color.  Hester's look was very early 00's hot topic, not fashion or whimsical at all.  I was very surprised that Laurence stayed on; her mangy matted hoodie was the worst, where at least Mila had an idea, if she had just managed to complete the skirt.  I find Ana charming, and her completed look was pretty good for the boring material she chose.

• Like 2
(edited)

I was also stunned they didn't get rid of Laurence. But glad, cuz I loved her in her season. I'm sure she stayed because Nina loved her too, because of all her amazing tailored jackets and pants. (I didn't even think Laurence's lowest scoring look from the first epsiode was at all bad.) Hope she can find her energy. But she is a very low key, private type of person, and when Nina asked her "why are you here?????" she was basically saying, "come on Laurence, you need to cough up some tears, or drama or a sob story or something!", and Laurence is just not going to play that, so we shall see if she can last. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, Glade said:

I loved Victor's look; it was so cute, so polished and put together! 

Me, too. It  looked like something you'd wear to lunch at an upscale restaurant in ToonTown. That's whimsy. All the little details he did with the dinosaur scales on the sleeves and the lapels were the perfect finishing touches. I'm glad he had the guts to apologize to Korto, because it's an indication of maturity -- hope it holds during whatever stresses may come.

Prajje's was fine and well made, but not a drop of whimsy.

I agree with nearly everyone above: 

• Rami should not have been on the bottom
  • Mila should not have been auf'd
  • Brittany's dress was expected and boring, but shrug pretty
  • Both Anna's and Hesters' should have been on the bottom
  • Laurence needs a challenge where she can make a kickass moto jacket
Edited by carrps
  • Like 18
(edited)
On 6/25/2023 at 12:20 AM, buttersister said:

Elaine, you're no Heidi. Quit trying to make it your catch phrase. Quit trying so hard in general.

I can't stand her. All talk, no talent, except self-promotion.

I continue to worry about Anna's state of mind. Please send her home and never bring her back.

The editors ignored Kara this episode.

Laurence's determined lack of commitment this season is kind of hilarious.

I think Brandon is sitting back and letting Nina and Elaine have their way with the show, while he takes it easy and collects a fat paycheck.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/23/2023 at 11:01 AM, roctavia said:

The keychain belt was giving me Wendy Pepper strings and washers vibe... 

That's who I was trying to remember!  I was all "We've seen this before!  Be bored, Nina....be bored!"  Hester should have been auf'd for that.  It did not fulfill the brief.  It did not fulfill the definition of a garment either. 

I actually liked the playing card dress.  I thought it was pretty, completely fulfilled the brief, and was tricky to put together to make the graphic pattern. 

Sourcing materials at FAO Schwartz was an easy pitch.  *YAWN*  Designers who really used unconventional materials like the boomerangs, playing cards, and yes, Hester's key chains should have been given a higher level of difficulty bonus points than just making fabric by ripping fabric-y things apart to use as.....fabric.  Even though I did like the tent dress.

• Like 5

Did Kara Saun set a record for the least amount of air time for a designer in a 90 minute episode? Was it even a minute's worth? 

Fabio's and Anna's dresses- one trick ponies. At a minimum, they should use more than just one main element. Rami is an old school contestant so he knows tears/drama will get you far in the competition. LOL.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:20 AM, buttersister said:

In the olden days, it meant something when super model Heidi said that. Elaine, you're no Heidi. Quit trying to make it your catch phrase. Quit trying so hard in general.

Laurence was into it in her season, iirc. This is sad.

I get that this particular challenge wasn’t in her wheelhouse…but why sabotage yourself by putting out a bad design? Time and again you hear designers say they just want to be good enough to get to the next challenge, especially if they’re not familiar or comfortable with what they’re being asked to do presently. Her attitude was bad from the start of this episode. She didn’t even try, and right now she’s at the bottom of my list of the remaining designers.

As for your other observation, I can do without the under-the-breath commentaries as models come down the runway. Didn’t used to be this way. Turn off the mics during the show and discuss later. Like Michael Kors and his  sunglasses, there’s a lot to be said for not knowing what the judges are thinking right away. Brandon can be snarky, which is best left off mic, too.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

I am glad Viktor won - I thought that coat was executed so delightfully! My favorite part might have been the little dinosaur spines down the back. Loved it, and props to him for picking something that really wasn't a fabric-like material at all and making it work! It wasn't super wearable, but none of this stuff is - it's art, not clothes!

I call total bullshit on Mila going and Hester not even being in the bottom. They made some magnet strips! Did that bra top and micro mini even come from FAO? What was that stuff made out of? Big whoop. How were they not offed? I loathed them the first time, and clearly that won't change. I am resigning myself to them being here until the end. Blech...and I am not mad at Laurence for not giving a crap about this challenge and not crying or making a scene over it. I honestly thought hers was better than what Hester did too...

I absolutely loved Britney's but I am glad she didn't win for the reason they cited - she did use muslin underneath, so kind of a cheat. But so darling, and bonus points for the styling. Definitely whimsical!

I am torn by Prajje's look - it wasn't whimsical at all, and although well made, just a jumble of patterns to me. I am glad he didn't win.

I did love the card dress and the one with the tracks on the top and skirt - was that Korto? I would have put that in the top over Kayne's evil queen.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 6/23/2023 at 6:51 PM, meowmommy said:

Do experienced designers get excited by new sewing machines the way they would flip over last week’s 10K prize?

Not over Singers…maybe Juki industrials.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:55 PM, swankie said:

Why do women with new babies even come on these shows?  All we hear is how much they miss their babies.  How about ...STAY HOME WITH YOUR BABY!  That bonding time in the beginning of your baby's life is so important.  Plus, WE GET SO TIRED OF WATCHING YOU WHINE AND KVETCH ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU MISS YOUR BABY!!!  STAY HOME!!!  

<Rant over>

@swankie Thank you!!!! I was ranting at the TV tonight (playing catch-up with last week's show) when Anna started with tears, just because Christian said the word "baby".  I get it, but she has pulled the tears for all of the episodes I've seen.  Just stay home Anna, I'm sure there was some other All Star that  would like to have your spot.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 6/23/2023 at 2:01 PM, roctavia said:

Hester's was a joke... did she use regular fabric for the top and skirt? And then just tack random stuff over it? The keychain belt was giving me Wendy Pepper strings and washers vibe... 

Ahhh!  Wendy Pepper.  Kara Saun's arch enemy!  I hated her in her season, but was very sad when I learned she passed away. 😔  Kara Saun seems to be stuck in costume mode.  I guess being a costume designer makes it very easy to fall back into that mode. I was expecting more from her. 

Edited by swankie
Added more thoughts.
  • Like 1