Type keyword(s) to search

S16 E01: The Gang Inflates / S16 E02: Frank Shoots Every Member of the Gang

• Start Topic

I forgot to record the first episodes of the new season, so I wound up watching On Demand. Fun stuff . . . inflatable furniture, Mac's nut allergy, Charlies trying to show that he's smart, Frank waving a gun in a restaurant and nicking Dennis and Dee in the faces, the family legacy quests for Mac and Charlie, and Mrs. Mac being the absolute worst. Oh, and Charlie has sisters, and it turns out they're awful. Thanks to ASMR and OnlyFans, they're also rich.

Nice scene with Frank misinterpreting Dennis and Dee's intentions, as they give him a great day in order to butter him up and get his gun. Of course Frank would shoot at the ocean for no real reason, and that the other beach-goers didn't react. Of course Frank would piss on two fire hydrants. Danny DeVito goes all out in being disgusting. It's quite a sight. And we'll be getting his wife next week!

Any opinion on Dennis being dumb when the plot needs it? I mean, of course Mac would give Frank a $10 bill to get $5 as a lesson in inflation, but Dennis? He's a sociopath, but not a dumb one.

Dee gluing her hand to a door and getting hung up on by the Gang? Great stuff.

Anyone else catch either or both episodes?

• Like 2

Mac looks really different. He’s lost weight again, but perhaps he also crossed some aging event horizon.

Incredible that there’s a second room in Charlie’s apartment. Moving camera reminded me of “Charlie Work”. And in a later scene in the bar, I’m sure I saw the otherwise steady shot tremble a bit, then settle down. 

The reveal of the bathroom and bedroom in Charlie's apartment was INCREDIBLE.  And there are 2 more doors!!!!!!!!!  WHAT'S BEHIND THEM.

Also, if anyone knows the source of Dee's jacket in episode 2, please and thank you.  I was dying of envy the entire episode.

• Like 1

Good start to the season. I still don't get FXX's reasoning in burning these episodes off in one-hour blocks though.

I thought last season was a bit lackluster but the first episode here was back in great form. The reveal that Charlie's apartment has not only a bathroom but a whole other room was hysterical. He's such a little weirdo. That on top of Mac's increasingly bloated lips had me in hysterics. The second episode wasn't quite as good but I still got a kick out of it. We've never heard of Charlie having sisters before, have we? Mrs. Mac is always good for a laugh. Uncle Donald McDonald, heh.

The reveal of the bathroom and bedroom in Charlie's apartment was INCREDIBLE.  And there are 2 more doors!!!!!!!!!  WHAT'S BEHIND THEM.

I think there's only one more door, the one near the front door that Dee glued her hand to. I would assume that really is a closet, there doesn't seem to be much room for it to be anything else.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Good start to the season. I still don't get FXX's reasoning in burning these episodes off in one-hour blocks though.

I think it was just the one night that will have 2 episodes. The rest of the weeks will only have one episode released.

The screech I made when Charlie brought out the TMNT Pudding Pies. Oh, those brought back so many memories. He even quoted the commercial!

I was laughing right from Frank saying "just a second" and instantly hanging up on Dee. I agree that the second episode wasn't as good, but I still really enjoyed it.

23 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Frank waving a gun in a restaurant and nicking Dennis and Dee in the faces

Frank was using the toe knife before the gun, too!

And I loved everything about Donald McDonald of Hamburger, New Jersey. Played by Luther's actor, too. What a shame that a queer family member wanted to connect with Mac, and he wasn't having it.

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We've never heard of Charlie having sisters before, have we?

That was a deep callback from all the way from season 1's "Charlie Gets Molested." Even got the same actors to come back, apparently.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

Mac looks really different. He’s lost weight again, but perhaps he also crossed some aging event horizon.

Incredible that there’s a second room in Charlie’s apartment. Moving camera reminded me of “Charlie Work”. And in a later scene in the bar, I’m sure I saw the otherwise steady shot tremble a bit, then settle down. 

Dennis and Mac both look very much older. 

I loved the second episode.  First one was just ok beyond the reveal of the two doors. 

So is macs uncle gay? The actor looked so much different than as his dad. 

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The screech I made when Charlie brought out the TMNT Pudding Pies. Oh, those brought back so many memories. He even quoted the commercial!

I was laughing right from Frank saying "just a second" and instantly hanging up on Dee. I agree that the second episode wasn't as good, but I still really enjoyed it.

Frank was using the toe knife before the gun, too!

And I loved everything about Donald McDonald of Hamburger, New Jersey. Played by Luther's actor, too. What a shame that a queer family member wanted to connect with Mac, and he wasn't having it.

That was a deep callback from all the way from season 1's "Charlie Gets Molested." Even got the same actors to come back, apparently.

I did recall him having a sister from that episode but thought it was just one. Also was wondering if they were the same actresses was going to look it up.  

So wondering if the whole season we will get these obscure callbacks and unknown tidbits.  Charlie's sisters.  Macs uncle.  Charlie's two doors. 

So for a whole year Charlie let Mac dennis dee and old black man sleep together in a bed and never told them he had an extra room.  I know it was part of the bet but still....

Macs mom looked way different too. Also a callback to Charlie pulling his own teeth so easily. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
5 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The recap page on TV Tropes said the same thing, but I watched that episode again just to make sure because it's been a while, and there were the twin girls at Charlie's intervention! He even says in the next scene that one of them screamed "Charlie touched my vagina!" so I guess they were always awful, it's a wonder he doesn't talk about them. Hopefully the Kelly sisters return in another fifteen years.😆 I also loved the reveal of that whole other room in Charlie's apartment.

I'm dying between the "get your nut" and Mac eating all the nuts. And asking if the tree is fancy.

Everyone being totally incredulous about the giant room in Charlie's apartment. Would there be a kitchen somewhere. 

I liked Dee being smart and gluing to the wall instead of the door because they just removed the door.

The first episode had me dying! And there are two more doors that need to be opened!!

I didn't laugh quite as hard at the second episode but the scene with the mom's in the living room was funny as hell. And I completely forgot about the existence of the sisters but Charlie dealing with Amy of his family is always the most adult Charlie. And his comments on Mac and the uncle ... like seriously dude.

(edited)

"The Gang Inflates". Dennis and Mac get into inflatable furniture to deal with the economy's inflation, while Dee tries to find a place to crash after being evicted by her greedy landlord and Charlie wants to pitch Frank his crypto/online investment idea.

Wait, Charlie had a bathroom and a bedroom all this time? Who'd have thunk! 😲

What happened to Mack? 😲

TMNT Pudding Pies were a real thing? I did not know that! I did enjoy how Charlie's stupid plan ended up working on Frank, of all people!

"Frank Shoots Every Member of the Gang". After Frank shoots Dennis and Dee, they resolve to take Frank's gun away; Mac and Charlie go on a road trip with their moms to get their inheritances.

Was Donald McDonald from Hamburg NJ played the same actor as his father? He kinda looked like him but I remember him having died. Also, I thought Mack had come out, so it was odd how he behaved. I do not remember Charlie having sisters, but I see why he never talks about them. They managed to make Gail the Snail likable!

Edited by Gharlane
11 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Wait, Charlie had a bathroom and a bedroom all this time? Who'd have thunk! [LOL]

What happened to Mack? :-O

TMNT Pudding Pies were a real thing? I did not know that! I did enjoy how Charlie's stupid plan ended up working on Frank, of all people!

Was Donald McDonald from Hamburg NJ played the same actor as his father? He kinda looked like him but I remember him having died. Also, I thought Mack had come out, so it was odd how he behaved. I do not remember Charlie having sisters, but I see why he never talks about them. They manged to make Gail the Snail likable!

Yes....the voice gave it away for me. Gregory Scott Cummins plays his dad and uncle. 

11 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yes....the voice gave it away for me. Gregory Scott Cummins plays his dad and uncle. 

I didn't realize it at the time, but Mack was looking so hard for a relationship with his father that he brushed off his uncle trying to start one with him. 🥹

On 6/11/2023 at 8:20 PM, Gharlane said:

I think they were just the hostess fruit pies but just green. They were real though. I wonder if they actually found real ones or just made them up for the show. 

I like it when Charlie actually knows things. He's screaming about how he has to walk so far to the door from the spare room, but he's yelling at Mac about the uncle. "so we're just going to leave this?"

On 6/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think they were just the hostess fruit pies but just green. They were real though. I wonder if they actually found real ones or just made them up for the show. 

They had to be made for the show. Hostess stopped making them thirty years ago, and they'd do worse than just crumble in your mouth.

On 6/22/2023 at 7:30 AM, callie lee 29 said:

I wonder if they just took some regular hostess pies and just dyed them green?

The show or Hostess?

I assume the latter dyed the pudding from the vanilla or lemon pies.