Type keyword(s) to search

Deadloch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The town of Deadloch, Tasmania, is preparing for its Winter Feastival when a local man turns up dead. Two detectives and an eager junior constable are sent to investigate the crime.

Deadloch review – ripsnorting whodunnit pumps new blood into old tropes

Deadloch: A brilliant Aussie crime comedy that will have you snorting with laughter

The Get Krack!n creators are killing it in screwball comedy Deadloch

The show premiered on June 2 with the first three episodes dropped at once. This is an eight-episode series; new episodes drop on Amazon Prime Video on Fridays through July 7.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just discovered this little gem and I absolutely love it.
There are moments you literally LOL and that desperate look on the face of  the main lead always cracks me up. She has the patience of a saint!
I wonder why it has a low score in imdb and if "leztopia" (lol!) has anything to do with it.

• Like 3

I'm enjoying it, too. My main suspect after episode 3 is

Spoiler

Dulcie's overly clingy, overbearing, nosey wife. Maybe because I don't like her, LOL.

Fun fact, the claim that

Spoiler

men don't poison,

touted in every second tv mystery, is rubbish.

• Like 4

Just finished the first two episodes. Really funny show, but my big problem with it is that Detective Eddie is played so far over the top compared to the rest of the cast, it’s like she’s in a completely different show. I have to restrain myself from fast forwarding through her scenes.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Eddie actually is toned down a bit and even becomes likable by episode 4.

Actually I can't stand of the wife. Keep calling your partner "sexy" like if she doesn't have a name, it is so damn demeaning, not to mention how possessive and insecure she is.

14 hours ago, ofmd said:

I'm enjoying it, too. My main suspect after episode 3 is

It is too obvious though, isinit?

• Like 5
(edited)

LOL. Obvious? Probably. I mean, we get a bit of background for her behavior in episode 4, but it's still horrible. Boundaries!

I appreciate they are trying to parody the wlw scene, but it's just a bit... much.

Speaking of "sexy," that whole scene with the therapist was hilarious.

"What brings you closer together?"

Maybe we can

Spoiler

set Dulcie up with Kate, the nice forensic pathologist?

I found episode 1-3 Eddie too OTT, too. I'm not at the point of "likeable" yet, but she's tolerable in epi 4.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 3

I enjoy this show so much! 
There is a serious suspect at the end of episode 5, but there 3 episodes remaining so I guess it is another red herring.

the following is not spoilers just a speculation:

Spoiler

I lean to the conclusion there are more than one person involved in the murders. I mean the clues are there, could a single woman carry that cross and hung Jimmy from it? 
I wonder if the whole town or a significant part of this are involved

Anyone knows if this is a single season series or it could have more seasons?

• Like 3
(edited)

I've watched the first three episodes, and I'm liking it.  I agree, Eddie is over the top, but not so much over that it ruins it for me.  I'm just amazed that by the end of season episode 3 she's still wearing the same clothes and doesn't look like she's bathed at all since she got to town.  She must be pretty stinky.  I'm waiting for someone to throw her in a dunk tub at the Feastival or hose her down or something.

I'm a sucker for these quirky small town set ups, like Northern Exposure. 

My only complaint is that I find myself rewinding a lot, to see closed captions, as there's a lot I miss with the accents.  And I'm usually good with accents.  I hate watching continuously on closed caption, so I just rewind when needed, which seems to be a lot with this show.

I'm trying not to binge this too quickly.  I'm glad they are parsing out the episodes weekly now.

Edited by chaifan
changed "season" to "episode". oops.
  • Like 1

So, out of everyone we've seen, Skye seems to be the only person with the smarts to be the SK, but with 3 episodes to go it's not likely. The only other one I would think is the rich lady.

I definitely do not like Dulcie and Cath together. I can see why Cath is insecure if she'd been cheated on and I think that's why she calls Dulcie Sexy. Like she's laying her claim. She does at least voice her problems but Dulcie acts like she can barely stand her. They don't seem a good match. Also, Big Eyes needs to break up with the Douche. 

As far as Eddie goes, she was too much for me in the first few episodes but when she put that cardboard shoe on, I started to love her. Now she's wearing all that hideous outdoor gear and it's just hilarious. I also love whatever thing she's got going on with soft spoken dude.

I also love whenever the two teen girls are in a scene. And Sven. Him locked in the toilet reading that awful screenplay was the best.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

Soft spoken dude is on my suspect list, though. Otherwise I like him.

Re_ the rich lady... Why was she so over-zealous for that student to take the scholarship? Weird...

• Like 2

Okay, you know I was expecting a body to float up not bodies. That was a shocker.

Where was it that Miranda got her earrings? Can't remember. I feel like it was the shrink lady that I should have mentioned last post that I have on my killer list. And why is it I wonder that Margaret doesn't want anyone in that cemetery? Her brother is there is my guess. Pardon me if I got any names wrong, I'm terrible with them.

I think this episode was the funniest one yet, I lol'd several times. I think because Eddie's toned down some now she's much funnier. I still love her and Ray,  and Big Eyes still needs to dump the Douche. I hope he's the killer cause I can't stand him. 🤞 Please don't be Ray 🤞

• Like 4
(edited)

Well.... wow, that end was indeed a shocker! I guess the dead bodies were the football boys calling every female a b1tch?
Is now Tom a suspect?
In any case I think the killer of the first victim is not necessary connected to the latest ones. 

Margaret is such a racist control freak... The girl playing Miranda is awesome. 

But the big moment of the episode was when FINALLY Dulcie confronted Cath. Geez,  Cath is worse than the serial killer(s), she is such a manipulative selfish prick. Go Dulcie! And stop letting her storm the Police Station like it's her living room.

I had no clue there were Southern Lights!!! North or South, they are always beautiful...

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, festivus said:

Okay, you know I was expecting a body to float up not bodies. That was a shocker.

Where was it that Miranda got her earrings? Can't remember. I feel like it was the shrink lady that I should have mentioned last post that I have on my killer list. And why is it I wonder that Margaret doesn't want anyone in that cemetery? Her brother is there is my guess. Pardon me if I got any names wrong, I'm terrible with them.

I think this episode was the funniest one yet, I lol'd several times. I think because Eddie's toned down some now she's much funnier. I still love her and Ray,  and Big Eyes still needs to dump the Douche. I hope he's the killer cause I can't stand him. 🤞 Please don't be Ray 🤞

I think Miranda lost her earring doing something illicit, the girls talked about it in earlier episodes. Maybe they were partying on Margaret's property? Whatever they/ she did, I think she witnessed something, or at least Margaret thinks she did, which is why Margaret was so desperate for her to take the scholarship.

And something happened/ is on this island's cemetary...

Remind me, who is Margaret's brother? I'm drawing a blank.

Big Eyes did dump the Douche!

And yes, I'm happy that Dulcie finally told Cath off. I hope they divorce, maybe substitute pathologist lady is interested? Of course I still think Cath might be a killer. How that fits with her not wanting Dulcie to be a detective, I have no idea!

I like Eddie now.

I also think it might still be Ray. Probably mainly because he is so nice and soft-spoken and patient... He mentioned never meeting straight women in Deadloch, maybe he blames the asinine dudes? Maybe they bullied him when he was a kid?

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, ofmd said:

I think Miranda lost her earring doing something illicit, the girls talked about it in earlier episodes. Maybe they were partying on Margaret's property? Whatever they/ she did, I think she witnessed something, or at least Margaret thinks she did, which is why Margaret was so desperate for her to take the scholarship.

That makes sense. I can't remember everything on this show, there's a lot going on! I feel like something was mentioned at one point about nobody having seen Margaret's brother for a while. I believe it's him in that portrait with her that we've seen a couple of times. I almost feel like I want to go back and watch the show again, I'm feeling like I've missed some things.

Dulcie & Cath. I really don't like Cath. I think maybe as a person she's probably quite nice but as a wife she's very insecure and all her actions are because of that. I don't think she's someone terrible but like I said before, these two people are a bad match.  I'm more a Dulcie type and I would not be able to handle my SO dropping by my work all the time and just making all the decisions without me. I'd be mental.

• Like 3

I remember that I only half-listened to any of the kids in the beginning as I thought they wouldn't be important... But it's hard to keep track with this show, I'm sure there have been quite a few clues.

• Like 1

Just started watching this, too.  Caught the first 2 episodes yesterday.  Haven't read all the posts here, because I started getting into spoiler territory (nobody's fault but mine for just starting my watch), so I'll catch up layer.

First, that town is wack-a-doodle.  I think the only sane person is the cop.  Not everyone is over the top, but they are all (generalization) borderline wackos.  Fun wackos, mostly.  I was going to say the lesbians that moved in didn't seem that wacko, but then a bunch stood around watching someone sleep sitting-up, so the jury is still out on them.

Second, I don't mind the new detective.  Yeah, she's a little over-the-top, but I'm not sure the town wackos notice.  I'm not upset to hear she tones it down a bit, though.  I don't like to see the home-town cop annoyed so much.  I really like her.  And, I think it will be fun watching them work together - one sane and smart and the other, bordering on wacky, but still smart.  Actually, I think they could have made her seem a bit smarter if she wasn't always jumping to conclusions.  Yeah, suspect the brother, but calling for him to be arrested just because the family is always guilty?  A bit over-the-top and not very responsible.

Third, really enjoying the show.  Waiting for the wife to become more likable, but like the teen girls.

Fourth (just because apparently, I'm numbering my paragraphs), can't wait to watch more eps.

-- re-reading this post, I think the wack-a-doodle might be contagious.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 6/23/2023 at 6:10 PM, ofmd said:

... Of course I still think Cath might be a killer. How that fits with her not wanting Dulcie to be a detective, I have no idea!...

If Cath is the killer:  Probably because Dulcie is the smartest person in the town and has the best chance to figure out the serial killer is Cath.  It was also smart of Dulcie to tell Eddie she needed her because she is too close to most of the residents to be objective.  Also, when Dulcie was a detective, she cheated on Cath and as noted, Cath is very insecure.. which for some reason, makes me think Cath is not the killer.  She would be killing her competition, not men.

I think it's the rich lady, but that's too obvious.  Ooooo, if the latest bodies ARE the football team, then maybe Tammy is the killer.  (that's the girl that wants to go pro, right?)  All these victims, she perceives as standing in her way to play ball.  (can't remember how they all connect to her, but we just might not know right now how they do).

I thought the bodies were just dislodged from the bottom of the lake during the latest feastival event since that was a long time between kills otherwise, but new bodies, and of the football team, is intriguing.

Now, I'm really getting behind Tammy being the killer, but I'm notoriously bad at guessing things, so probably not.

When's the next ep due?

Southern Lights are beautiful, too and it makes sense.  Both poles are magnetic.  Surprised I haven't heard of them before - or if I have, not enough to remember them.

• Like 1

what about that low key girl in the shop? could she be the one?

Btw, why this show has such a low rate in IMDB? not that I trust the specific site,  but still..

(edited)
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

Btw, why this show has such a low rate in IMDB? not that I trust the specific site,  but still..

Idk but it seems to happen to many shows with lesbian protagonists over there.

I think I now suspect everyone, particularly the quiet, nice ones, like Sky's son.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2

I feel like I need to watch this entire show over again just to catch all the little bits that I might have missed.

I don't think that Cath is the murderer but I also don't like her at all. She is using the cheating to get her way over Dulcie.

It can't be Skye, that's too easy. Who did Nadyia get pregnant by?

• Like 3

I've been thinking maybe the therapist, I don't remember her name. She's been in the show but low key. I think she was the one running the naked on the beach thing. Not sure what that was all about. I am thinking about watching again if I have time. I know there's stuff I'd probably catch 2nd time around.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, ofmd said:

Idk but it seems to happen to many shows with lesbian protagonists over there.

I think I now suspect everyone, particularly the quiet, nice ones, like Sky's son.

Yes, probably due to lesbians being main characters and also I can see the language turning some people off.  I tend to wince sometimes at it, myself.  Especially the c-word is pretty distasteful.  It depends on what you accept in your daily life and how much it affects your viewing pleasure.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Zaffy said:

I just looked at the IMDB ratings, and I think the overall rating is skewed due to low ratings on the first episode.  The last 3 episodes all got 8.8-8.9 ratings (vs 6.4 for the first episode).  Looking at the user reviews, people either love it or hate it.  The "love it" reviews are mostly from people who watched more than 1-2 episodes.  The "hate it" reviews are (naturally) mostly from those who only watched only the first episode, and the majority of those hate Eddie. 

I will admit to having no idea who the killer is at this point.  I think Margaret is a red herring - I think she's hiding something, but the ominous music played around her just seems too obvious to tag her as the killer.  Skye also seems too obvious, and hey, it's never the first person they concentrate on, right?  I think Cath would be a weird choice, and would have to involve a complete retcon of her character to make it work.  But who is it?  I really don't know, and I actually like that!  

• Like 2

I agree with Cath being a weird choice. It could be anyone else but I will seriously side eye if it's Cath. It would come out of nowhere and would make no sense. I also wonder if we're getting misdirected and it is a man. Either way, I'm enjoying that I have no idea who it is! I usually pick the killer by ep. 2 of something. 

• Like 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Johannah said:

Yes, probably due to lesbians being main characters and also I can see the language turning some people off.  I tend to wince sometimes at it, myself. 

20 hours ago, chaifan said:

I just looked at the IMDB ratings, and I think the overall rating is skewed due to low ratings on the first episode.  The last 3 episodes all got 8.8-8.9 ratings (vs 6.4 for the first episode).  Looking at the user reviews, people either love it or hate it.  The "love it" reviews are mostly from people who watched more than 1-2 episodes.  The "hate it" reviews are (naturally) mostly from those who only watched only the first episode, and the majority of those hate Eddie. 

I doubt it would be language.  It definitely could be the lesbian aspect of it, as that's something known to happen to LGBTQ content.  On the other hand, this is a pretty niche show I doubt it has been targeted for review bombing.  I tend to think it's mostly people who gave up after the first episode or two.  I almost gave up on it until I read in this thread that many were enjoying it so I went back to continue.

I think the first couple of episodes were so disjointed.  There was this serious detective that could go into almost any detective drama and fit right in. Then there's this brash detective who is just annoying.  They're surrounded by not just comedic characters but practically slapstick characters that might easily fit in a show like Angie Tribeca.  It was too much of a mish-mash.

But later episodes rounded Eddie out, toned down the slapstick, and built out the mystery.  It became much easier to watch.  I still think the episodes might be a little better if they were a little shorter, but it has definitely found a more cohesive groove.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4

Episode 7:  Damn.  Best episode so far.  This just keeps getting better and better.  I can't believe there's only one episode left.  Why did the camera pan down to the one man's shoes on the bus, and what was sticking in his shoe?  And can someone give me a reminder on that's the deal with Margaret's brother? 

When the men folk were going through town with their pitchforks and torches, I really wanted Dulce to say something like "Well, we know the killer is only targeting abusive, asshole men.  Anyone who's an abusive asshole, come with me and we'll put you in protective custody.  The rest of you have nothing to worry about.  Go home."

I really want douche forensics guy to somehow be mortally embarrassed and dressed down, not necessarily killed.  Have the killer go after him, or think the killer is after him, and he turns into a whimpering baby, pissing himself and begging for his life, and get it all on tape for the the whole town (and Tedx) to see. 

• Like 4

OH HELL NO. How dare those dick nuggets use You're The Voice as their rallying cry. 😆

Yep, I was starting to think we'd been misdirected and it was a man. I hope it's the Douche and if it's not I hope he's the final victim. I think either it's Margaret's brother or she was sent his tongue. Either way something is going on in that island cemetery and she knows it. I wonder if those jars she was giving away a couple of episodes ago contain tongue meat. 🤮

• Like 2

So many twists and turns! I am going with Ray Pies now for the murders, only because he didn't like the nickname that Eddie gave him. It also easily be Gez.

I really need James to get his. Abby is way too good for him, she is practically the brains of this entire operation.

I have no idea what was in that mans sock, I thought it might be pentbarbital to kill the loudmouth who keeps saying Mayorette and Copette and generally being a misogynist. He is gross but probably not a physical abuser.

• Like 2

I did not think I was going to like the show as much as I do once Eddie showed up and was so over the top. But the character change after the first couple episodes was great. I can’t remember the last show that made me laugh so much.

I am surprised in such a small town more people aren’t genetically related.

Who did James call about the boat when Abby left? Are we supposed to suspect he is involved? Maybe because he is so desperate to be the center of attention and annoyed no one ever says thank you to him. 

Who actually fingerprinted the saponified body to identity Sam? And was Sam wearing red shoes like Margaret’s brother in the photo? 

It would have been nice if the vacationing forensic scientist played more of a role. Her looking at the file and then leaving didn’t seem to add anything to the story.

Why did Dulcie keep insisting the killer used poison? No one was poisoned. 

Getting every possible victim in one vehicle was moronic. I enjoyed Dolph’s secret boyfriend telling off the bully. 

The hints about the church deserving to be burnt down because of what happened under the Father Douglas or whatever still being unresolved is driving me nuts.

And how did the screenplay end? Did the part about “Samantha” offering to fellate the priest mean that was something Sam actually offered to Father Terrance?

Add me to the suspicious of Ray Pies list. His comment about bad experiences with women in the past was a red flag. And why he would choose to stay and rent a home in Deadloch makes no sense. 

• Like 2

Wow..this episode was the most serious so far..but a great one at the same time.

I really have no clue who the killer might be. I am not even sure for Margaret's brother who owns the "bobbies" car.

The commissioner is a moron, how on earth he will charge suspects that have alibi?

On 6/30/2023 at 8:54 AM, chaifan said:

Episode 7:  Damn.  Best episode so far.  This just keeps getting better and better.  I can't believe there's only one episode left.  Why did the camera pan down to the one man's shoes on the bus, and what was sticking in his shoe?  And can someone give me a reminder on that's the deal with Margaret's brother? 

When the men folk were going through town with their pitchforks and torches, I really wanted Dulce to say something like "Well, we know the killer is only targeting abusive, asshole men.  Anyone who's an abusive asshole, come with me and we'll put you in protective custody.  The rest of you have nothing to worry about.  Go home."

I really want douche forensics guy to somehow be mortally embarrassed and dressed down, not necessarily killed.  Have the killer go after him, or think the killer is after him, and he turns into a whimpering baby, pissing himself and begging for his life, and get it all on tape for the the whole town (and Tedx) to see. 

I didn't even notice the shoe thing, and you're right, I wish she had told the men with pitchforks and on the bus that they were safe if they weren't jerks.

I wish they'd stop deciding that the killer HAS to be a certain sex.  It's just a guideline.  Profiling is generalities.  It might help to narrow down the killer, but you shouldn't wear blinders and eliminate suspects because of that.  And I realize you have to use something to narrow down the suspects, but if their alibi is a friend/lover/anybody that can be intimidated by the person, take it with a grain of salt.

When Dulcie was looking at the cops and realizing that the killer wanted recognition (and therefore was a man), I thought she was suggesting that the main cop-guy was the killer.  But I guess it was just that watching them congratulate each other made her think of her newest profiling generalization.

Why did the women keep the tongues?  Even if I was grateful that someone got rid of my abuser, I would get rid of the evidence.

Can't remember her name (Val, Vic, something totally different?), but I felt sad that she felt the men abusing her were giving her life meaning.

There's just one more episode, right?  I hope it all gets resolved because I hate when the major plot is carried to the next season.  I tend to just stop watching.  I was burned by an entire summer of "who shot JR" and when they didn't reveal the killer in the first ep of the new season, I stopped watching.  Glad I did, too, because I heard the killer wasn't even in season 1, so impossible to guess after having everyone guess all summer.  Turned me off of shows that don't resolve by the end of the season and soaps in general.

41 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Why did the women keep the tongues?  Even if I was grateful that someone got rid of my abuser, I would get rid of the evidence.

I got the impression that the women didn't even know the tongues were in their freezers - that they had been planted there by the killer very recently.  I could be wrong on that.  But, if I'm right, that means that the killer would have to be tied to law enforcement and would have to have known the police were going to be arresting the women and searching their homes.  But, that pretty much narrows it down to Sven, James or the Commissioner.  None of those seem like likely suspects to me. 

• Like 1

OMG! I was right! I am never right when try to guess these things. I thought it was weird how he was bothered by something that was pretty obscure, at least to me.

I also loved that he could not understand that while he said he was helping the women by murdering the men, he still thought they were helpless people who couldn't do anything for themselves and they needed a big strong man to step in and take care of things. Typical.

• Like 1

Bummer about Ray.  For a while, I thought it might be Cath when it tied back to Sydney years ago.  At least she got a bit of a talking to.  If there is a second season, hopefully she'll be less annoying. 

And they did nicely set up a second season. I knew as soon as she got that call about her ex-partner that it'd be the basis of a S2.  I do wonder if this means everyone else in Deadloch won't return or if we'll see some of the cops again.

On 7/1/2023 at 4:32 PM, Johannah said:

I hope it all gets resolved because I hate when the major plot is carried to the next season.  I tend to just stop watching.  I was burned by an entire summer of "who shot JR" and when they didn't reveal the killer in the first ep of the new season, I stopped watching.  Glad I did, too, because I heard the killer wasn't even in season 1

JR wasn't shot until the end of S3 and the character who shot him was in that season so people could (and some did) guess.  Coincidentally, the fourth season was delayed by a writers' strike.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And they did nicely set up a second season. I knew as soon as she got that call about her ex-partner that it'd be the basis of a S2.  I do wonder if this means everyone else in Deadloch won't return or if we'll see some of the cops again.

Same! And not a bad idea/ setup either.

I would hope we'd at least see Abby and Sven again, I'd miss them

Also... HA! I called it!

Nice acting, Ray actor.

This was a very good finale and I really hope they'll get a second season. what with the bad ratings at imdb et al.

The only thing that bothers me a tad is I'd wished for Dulcie to get rid of Cath. (Also, the dog is NOT ugly, you freak!) Alas, the heart wants what the heart wants...

And I was kind of proud of Eddie for pretending, for her partner's sake, to like Cath. Growth! The beginning of a beautiful friendship! Yay!

"Do you not know my name?" - perfect ending.

• Like 3

This was a fun show.  A little Northern Exposure nuttiness with a good murder mystery.  This is very much my genre, and I will be hoping and waiting (and waiting and waiting, most likely) for a second season.  (I would also be so in for a Northern Exposure reboot.)

Where were Dulce and Eddie at the end of the episode?  Outside Sydney?  I presume this will be the new location for Season 2 (if there is one).  So I don't expect much of the Deadloch regulars, but I hope they are close enough to keep Sven and Abby in the mix.  Though, based on Sven's car discussion, he may not be sticking in law enforcement much longer. 

I did not expect Ray, and I thought it was a little out of the blue.  Honestly, they could have given just about any one of the men the same backstory at the last moment.  But still, I liked how it all wrapped up.  Though the whole side issue with Margaret was a bit clunky.  Was she so invested in Miranda out of guilt?  What was with that?

My earlier theory - that the killer was part of law enforcement - was wrong.  But how did Ray know to plant the frozen tongues in the women's freezers just before the police raids?

I love that Sven used the mini bus to get all the women to the farm.

I wonder... can you reattach a tongue if you get to it soon enough?  Or are Phil and James forever mute?

• Like 2

I enjoyed this show so much! so much!
Please tell me there will be a 2nd season? Pretty please? with sugar on top?

6 hours ago, chaifan said:

Where were Dulce and Eddie at the end of the episode?  Outside Sydney?

I guess Darwin, to investigate Eddie's partner murder.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:58 PM, Irlandesa said:

JR wasn't shot until the end of S3 and the character who shot him was in that season so people could (and some did) guess.  Coincidentally, the fourth season was delayed by a writers' strike.

Well, apparently, I only watched the one season, and didn't realize it was the third.  It was very long ago.  I got the info on who shot him from word-of-mouth (no internet back then), so when told, I hadn't heard of the character, so if she was on the season I watched, she was forgettable.  Whatever.  I still don't like when shows don't resolve a season-long mystery that season.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:38 AM, Irlandesa said:

I think the first couple of episodes were so disjointed.  There was this serious detective that could go into almost any detective drama and fit right in. Then there's this brash detective who is just annoying.  They're surrounded by not just comedic characters but practically slapstick characters that might easily fit in a show like Angie Tribeca.  It was too much of a mish-mash.

But later episodes rounded Eddie out, toned down the slapstick, and built out the mystery.  It became much easier to watch.  I still think the episodes might be a little better if they were a little shorter, but it has definitely found a more cohesive groove.

Agreed completely. I wasn't really sold till the fourth episode, but I liked the cast and wanted to find out who the culprit was, so I decided to finish it. Figured I'd do it slowly, but ended up doing a final-3-episode binge very quickly because it got so good. I think it settled really really well and finally got its tone sorted out, so I hope that earns them another season.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:47 AM, festivus said:

Either way something is going on in that island cemetery and she knows it. I wonder if those jars she was giving away a couple of episodes ago contain tongue meat. 🤮

I was so surprised to learn there really were deadly snakes on that island!

On 7/6/2023 at 10:58 PM, Irlandesa said:

Great set-up, especially not showing us the wife so that they can have time to cast someone great in that central role! I don't understand the geography, but I hope there's a way to tie it back to the town of Deadloch. I want to see everyone again!

On 7/7/2023 at 7:21 AM, ofmd said:

The only thing that bothers me a tad is I'd wished for Dulcie to get rid of Cath. (Also, the dog is NOT ugly, you freak!) Alas, the heart wants what the heart wants...

I got defensive on the dog's behalf too. He was cute! And what's done is done, they better love that dog. (Also who will get custody of Donkey Lou?) Maybe they can successfully make Cath less annoying in the second season, too.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, chaifan said:

Though the whole side issue with Margaret was a bit clunky.  Was she so invested in Miranda out of guilt?  What was with that?

I have a lot of questions about that subplot.

Really enjoyed this show. I especially liked that it wasn't just a shallow reversal (i.e., the women are all perfect heroes and the men are all idiots, victims, or monsters) and was fully of messy folks of all identities. Also, perfect and hilarious needle drop for that Tatu (sp?) song in the finale. In general, the use of pop music references in this was pretty great. (I think the "Lightning Crashes" rendition at the funeral was so tummy-grabbing funny that it's what kept me from checking out in the earlier, clunkier episodes)

• Like 3

I kept thinking that the first victim having steak in his stomach (even though the tuna dish for dinner was mentioned several times) would be some kind of clue, but no. So why was it even in the script? 

I watched the first episode a while back and it didn't really grab me (like most people, I found Eddie much too annoying and over-the-top), but I kept hearing good things, so I picked it up again this week. I started really enjoying it in episode four when Eddie got somewhat toned down and started being useful, and I binged the last four episodes in just one day. I'm satisfied with the resolution and I'd definitely watch a second season revolving around Bushy's murder!

I think "Big Eyes" Abby was my favorite character -- I loved seeing her get more and more confident and capable over the season and end up surprising the killer by dumping her shitty fiancé all on her own!

• Like 7

Big Eyes ended up being my favorite too. I loved that she showed a real capability for the job. I also think the actress that played Dulcie was very very good. Loved her simmering frustration with all the shit she had to deal with. Eddie was quite funny when she toned it down some but I get what they were going for, she was not dealing well with Bushy's death. Her getting Dulce to wear "the shoes" at the end was hilarious.

Here's hoping "Sexy" gives Cath the boot if there is a season 2. They are not a good fit. 

• Like 8