Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Relic

oompa
  • Start Topic

(edited)

There are 4 episodes left and this show moves slower than an catatonic slug.

I like the  world they have built, most of the acting and the cinematography are great and I wouldn't mind the slow pace  if there were 20 episodes..or if I could binge watch it
Maybe this "rhythm"  works better in the books, I dunno..

8 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

What was Juliette doing with her fingers behind her back when they were walking to Judicial?

Nothing, it wasn't Juliette, it was her deputy, holding his hand tightly so it won't start trembling (because of the "syndrome")

So the Janitor's room is apparently the heart of surveillance. Does Judge knows or   the "Janitors" work or their own?

Do people In the Silo know what video recording is? i guess not..
Oh, and the are pets in the Silo! we saw a cat and Juliette mentioned dogs.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Agreed that this show is moving too slowly.

I'm guessing the Judge has the Syndrome too.

Are we ever going to learn why Martha never leaves her quarters?

The Janitor's room seem more technologically advanced than the rest of the Silo.

I did find Juliette looking at the old book quite moving.

• Like 13
27 minutes ago, marinw said:

I did find Juliette looking at the old book quite moving.

Yes it was...

I wonder if IT has two different departments, the public one and the secret one, cause the "Janitors" really need IT help to maintain all this surveillance equipment. Is Bernard a "double agent"?
We also established that the Silo is located in Georgia..

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

This was the first episode I felt like was mostly filler. Just a lot of character backstory until the very end. I haven't minded the pace at all, up until now. I've been engrossed enough up to this point. But I've binged the first six episodes over the past couple of days, so that probably does make a big difference. I might be less patient with it otherwise. Or going forward.

I'm also sick to death of Sims and his ever menacing presence looming over everything. He's probably my biggest complaint, story-wise. He just seems too much like a cartoon villain.

And my God, Harriet Walter is in just about every single show I watch or ever have watched. I swear, she must have Hermione Granger's time turner to do so many shows at once. She's in this, she's in Succession, she's in Ted Lasso, she was in Belgravia, The Spanish Princess, Downton Abbey, Black Sails, The Crown . . . the list goes on. And she does NOT do a very good American accent, either. There are a lot of Brits and Aussies that have impeccable American accents, and then there are some like Walter who lean too heavily into the hard "R" and end up sounding like pirates.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I have no knowledge of the books, but I could see where this might be planned to run more than one season, with some sort of cliffhanger and/or partial plot resolution at the end of the current season. Might explain the pace.

• Like 2

that wall of monitors reminded me of Big Brother  LOL

Maybe that's on the outside - some kind of experiment or something - maybe when those that leave the silo collapse, they're not dead but just unconscious and people on the outside get them and take them somewhere to come to.  Then they put the empty spacesuits back on the ground to make it look like they're still laying there dead.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, headhoncho said:

Then they put the empty spacesuits back on the ground to make it look like they're still laying there dead.

Except when the scenery flipped to lush, green foliage, there were no bodies. And Holston didn't see any when he went outside. But I think both sets of scenery are computer simulations.

On 6/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, meep.meep said:

To me Harriet Walter almost sounds like she's being dubbed.  Why are they all American when half the cast is British?

The show was filmed in the UK, hence all the British actors. Seems like they should have just made all the characters British, I don't know why it was imperative they should be American, unless there's some plot significance to it. Rebecca Ferguson really slips in and out of her accent.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Juliette is so unlikeable. She only cares about what she wants and all she wanted was to find out what happened to George. She doesn’t seem curious about anything except as it relates to her quest. 
I will keep watching but it is obviously set up for more seasons and this has been a slog. I had high hopes after the first episode but haven’t really been enthusiastic about any of the subsequent episodes.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, gibasi said:

Juliette is so unlikeable. She only cares about what she wants and all she wanted was to find out what happened to George.

I guess her arc is to evolve from someone almost being "autistic" in Mechanical, to be able to see the bigger picture, which is something most people in the Silo do not seem to want to, maybe cause they are afraid they will end up "cleaning".
Holston also did not really seem to care about the rest of the ppl, I mean he decided to go outside to "find" his wife, it is not that he tried to find the truth and share it with the citizens of the Silo. He just left some clues to Juliette..which was a big "if".

• Like 6

Ok,I’ve been watching this just to have some background noise. I’m not really interested, barely paying attention, and I don’t feel it’s very interesting… until the end of this episode. The guys in the tech suite. So is this all some kind of gruesome experiment?

• Like 2

I wish I liked this more. I'm still invested enough to keep watching, but some of the dialogue is laughably bad, and Sims is an utterly cartoonish villain.

I'm surprised at Graham Yost's involvement precisely because the dialogue is so bad. And the situations feel so simplistic. Juliette stomps around with no attempt to be subtle and seems shocked that people are corrupt or lying to her, when people are so visibly... corrupt and lying to her!

For me none of the parts are coming together cohesively or believably. I'm interested enough to keep going, but at this point I'm watching while I work and do other things.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:23 AM, meep.meep said:

To me Harriet Walter almost sounds like she's being dubbed.  Why are they all American when half the cast is British?

My question too. And it's very distracting, because they are all varying degrees of competent at the accent. I always hate directors forcing accents on people. No matter what the script demands, when they're bad at it? Just add a line of dialogue about it and move on. Unless they're perfect at it. Oyelowo was really good, but Ferguson, Walter, and others are just off enough that it makes the entire thing feel weird. It breaks immersion for me.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, iMonrey said:

The show was filmed in the UK, hence all the British actors. Seems like they should have just made all the characters British, I don't know why it was imperative they should be American, unless there's some plot significance to it. Rebecca Ferguson really slips in and out of her accent.

To me it's even weirder because Ferguson has that slight Swedish AND English accent, neither of which she is completely suppressing here.

On 6/8/2023 at 2:06 PM, gibasi said:

Juliette is so unlikeable. She only cares about what she wants and all she wanted was to find out what happened to George. She doesn’t seem curious about anything except as it relates to her quest. 

I want so badly to like Juliet, and despite her uneven accent here, Ferguson is a terrific actress, but I am not invested in Juliette. I just find her kind of maddening and frustrating.

• Like 1

A simple Pez dispenser causing so much trouble.

The syndrome is interesting. Some kind of nutritional deficiency or is it psychological? If it were congenital you'd think they could sort of predict who's likely to get it. Maybe that's why reproduction is controlled, to breed out problematic conditions.

• Useful 1