Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: ...had my dream stolen

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Devi is exhausting. 

She is. I know she’s 17 and she’s not an evil or malicious person but she’s SO unreasonable. How she treated Fabiola wasn’t okay. Yes she did apologize, but I get the sense everyone walks on eggshells around Devi and it was probably like this even before her Dad died. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Yes, we have all been around or have had friends like her- when the world revolves around only them and only their needs matter. Devi has really grown since the first season but she can still be very selfish. I’m glad she realized this and apologized to Fabiola for being a terrible friend.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Devi is exhausting. 

37 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

She is. I know she’s 17 and she’s not an evil or malicious person but she’s SO unreasonable. How she treated Fabiola wasn’t okay. Yes she did apologize, but I get the sense everyone walks on eggshells around Devi and it was probably like this even before her Dad died. 

5 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yes, we have all been around or have had friends like her- when the world revolves around only them and only their needs matter. Devi has really grown since the first season but she can still be very selfish. I’m glad she realized this and apologized to Fabiola for being a terrible friend.

I thought I recalled Mindy Kaling saying Devi was based on her own teenage self. 
This article corroborates that in part, but not entirely: 
npr.org/2020/04/27/845440741/mindy-kaling-brings-a-new-nerd-to-tv-and-finds-she-was-not-alone-as-a-teen

I do think most of us think like Devi as teenagers, we just don't announce it to the world so loudly. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought I recalled Mindy Kaling saying Devi was based on her own teenage self. 
This article corroborates that in part, but not entirely: 
npr.org/2020/04/27/845440741/mindy-kaling-brings-a-new-nerd-to-tv-and-finds-she-was-not-alone-as-a-teen

I do think most of us think like Devi as teenagers, we just don't announce it to the world so loudly. 

Thinking something and saying it out loud are two different things. I think it would be more realistic if we got half of this as an internal monologue/stream of consciousness of Devi’s. She’s got not an ounce of impulse control.

I mentioned in other seasons I cannot BELIEVE she is so disrespectful to her elders. Thinking the stuff is understandable, saying it is another level. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I agree. You can really tell because Fabiola perfectly predicted Devi’s exact reaction to finding out. 

41 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thinking something and saying it out loud are two different things. I think it would be more realistic if we got half of this as an internal monologue/stream of consciousness of Devi’s. She’s got not an ounce of impulse control.

I mentioned in other seasons I cannot BELIEVE she is so disrespectful to her elders. Thinking the stuff is understandable, saying it is another level. 

This is my biggest issue with Devi. It’s not that she has those thoughts but that she expresses them loudly while feeling completely justified. She is repeatedly has to be smacked in the face by the consequences of her own actions. If it hadn’t been Fab she would have stayed furious at some random person for “stealing” her spot.
I loved Paxton pointing out how Devi’s actions completely altered his life and he forgave her. 

4 minutes ago, Dani said:

I loved Paxton pointing out how Devi’s actions completely altered his life and he forgave her. 

Paxton's line to Devi about her negative impact on his future should have been a major wake-up call for her, but I don't think we saw that, probably because the show was about Devi growing on her own. 

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Dani said:

I think the Devi/Paxton scene was my favorite of the episode. I don't think Devi would have forgiven Fabiola as quickly as she did without the push from Paxton, reminding her that he also had big college expectations that were permanently thwarted by her actions, yet he forgave her. Devi still has a chance at Princeton. Paxton's Stanford ambitions were permanently and devastatingly taken from him.

I've only watched up to this episode, so I don't know how anything turns out from here, but based on the lovely scene with young Devi and Mohan, it would seem that the Princeton idea was put in her head by her Dad and became a fixation for Devi from that point on. I'm betting that circumstances may shake Devi away from that fixation and that Princeton won't end up being her endgame. 

• Like 6

Fabiola should have been upfront with Devi about Princeton, but I cant even fully blame her for hiding things, she knows how Devi would react. Devi of course loses her shit and makes everything about her, which is very much on brand I think for a teenager but she really just takes it to another level. Very glad that they already made up and Devi apologized, I was worried that it would drag on for a few episodes. 

This friend group really does have major communication issues. 

Knowing that part of why Devi is so obsessed with Princeton is because of her dad makes a lot of sense. I can imagine that by the end of the season she'll realize that she doesn't need to go to Princeton to honor her dads memory. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I loved seeing Pete Gardner, albeit in a small role.

Not that this really matters, but there's never any plot explanation why Devi is convinced that someone at the school must have gotten into Princeton if she didn't. While the earlier scene with Fabiola and her mom establishes their belief that it's statistically unlikely that two students from the school would get in (which is true enough), that's not a rule; and for that matter, there'd be plenty of US high schools with zero Princeton admissions per year.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

there's never any plot explanation why Devi is convinced that someone at the school must have gotten into Princeton if she didn't.

I think it was Ben who said that one student from their high school had gotten into Princeton, and Devi thought she was that student until she found out she wasn't. 

• Like 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, SeanC said:

Not that this really matters, but there's never any plot explanation why Devi is convinced that someone at the school must have gotten into Princeton if she didn't. While the earlier scene with Fabiola and her mom establishes their belief that it's statistically unlikely that two students from the school would get in (which is true enough), that's not a rule; and for that matter, there'd be plenty of US high schools with zero Princeton admissions per year.

The Guidance Counselor seems to be convinced (or at least agree) that only one person from their school could get into Princeton.
From Episode 4 "...wrecked my future": 

[FABIOLOA TALKING WITH HER MOM AND THE GUIDANCE COUNSELOR]

• Well, I can't do Princeton. That's Devi's school.
  • So I'm sure she'd love for you to go to school together.
  • Mom, Princeton is insanely selective. They're not gonna take more than one person early from a mediocre public school in the Valley. No offense.
  • No, no, no, that's pretty accurate.

Edited by shapeshifter
Didn't read OP's question carefully.
  • Like 1

Oh, Devi, one episode I like her and the next I'm back to wanting to strangle her. I'm glad Paxton pointed out how she ruined his college plans and that he forgave her after she flipped out on Fabiola. I like that she realized he was right and went to apologize to Fabiola.  

And calm down on your mom.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1