Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: ...gotten sweet revenge

• Start Topic

At least Devi’s temper has been pretty consistent the past four seasons. That seems to be her downfall.

I don’t like how Devi may have this bad boy love interest. Didn’t she sort of have this storyline with Paxton already?

• Like 8
(edited)

The bad boy love interest cracks me up so much.  He looks like a member of a boy band.  That's the level of "bad" I get from him.  LOL.

I just realized what this high school reminds me of.  The one in Clueless.  A bunch of rich kids wearing overly fashionable clothes having teen drama.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Now that was much better than the first episode, at least to me. More realistic dialogue and several laugh-out-loud moments. And it's always fun to have Kamala and Devi's grandmother in an episode. I loved how the family all supported Nirmala (I think that's her name). 

• Like 5
On 6/10/2023 at 11:13 AM, Paloma said:

Now that was much better than the first episode, at least to me. More realistic dialogue and several laugh-out-loud moments. And it's always fun to have Kamala and Devi's grandmother in an episode. I loved how the family all supported Nirmala (I think that's her name). 

I love Nirmala, “you don’t think I’m some common harlot?” Was a classic line. 

Michael Cimino gets cast constantly as teen heartthrob because he is very handsome, but has a baby face so he can still play a teen and is non threatening. Thank goodness for Fabiola reminding us that Ethan is a vandalizing jerk.

• Like 7

The show is so much better when there are side plots focusing on Devi’s family or Fab then when it is completely mired in Devi drama. Loved the Nirmala plot and Kamala being both supportive and pointing out the hypocrisy. Loved Nirmala calling herself a GMILF and Kamala pointing she didn’t need to keep saying “white boyfriend”.

Devi’s plot just irritated me because it feels like a retread of last season and a lot of it is just stupid. Like the principal having no interest in who actually vandalized Devi’s car or Devi having to pay for her own New York field trip despite it being presented as vital to her getting into Princeton. I find it annoying that they simultaneously have a toxic masculinity/gatekeeping plot and one (maybe two) pitting to girls against each other over a guy. 

On 6/9/2023 at 11:41 AM, Snapdragon said:

The bad boy love interest cracks me up so much.  He looks like a member of a boy band.  That's the level of "bad" I get from him.  LOL.

That’s it exactly. He’s like a Disney Channel bad boy. 

7 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Devi having to pay for her own trip to NYC was beyond stupid. Totally unrealistic. No way would Nalini let something so important be financed by her daughter. 

Yeah I thought she was saying that to just teach Devi a lesson. I could see her making Devi pay for her spring break trip (for fun/recreation) but college tours were too important. 

• Like 3

"Were you being a stupid bitch?" "Its a valid question." 

I thought that this episode was a lot better than the last one, it better established what the season is going to be about and had a lot more funny lines. I love Nirmala and her white boyfriend and Kamala always saying that she doesn't need to specify his race. Devi's family scenes are always a highlight.

I don't buy at all that Nalini wouldn't pay for Devi to go to new York for college visits, even if she wants to teach Devi to stop making bad choices for five seconds.

Now Devi is crushing on this boy band bad boy who also seems like he's just a huge dick, which is so very on brand. 

• Like 6

I really ❤️ Nirmala. 

I don't care if Devi is crushing on the bad boy. She's a teenager. Also she's not typically known for making the best choices. I did crack up at her going Crazy Devi on them. That's the part of her I relate to, lol. Also I know I've seen new hottie in something before but I can't remember what.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
7 minutes ago, festivus said:

I don't care if Devi is crushing on the bad boy. She's a teenager.

Yea, I could totally relate to that even though my teenage years are many decades in the past. I was a nerdy academic teen, not as competitive as Devi but very focused on getting good grades. I was also dateless in high school (except for being asked out once in freshman year by a creep, and I asked a male friend to go to junior prom with me). But I had a series of crushes on "bad boys" who mostly didn't know I was alive. One of them actually did ask me out, but when he "parked" and tried to make out, he realized I was too prudish (and inexperienced) to go beyond kissing, so there were no more dates. But my crush on him continued for at least a couple of years after high school, even though I never had contact with him. And my first husband, whom I married at 20, was also a "bad boy."

I think the whole bad boy crush is a common thing for girls (and young women) who are raised strictly and are academically oriented. These bad boys represent freedom from expectations and make us feel desirable (if they notice us) or at least like there is more to us than being nerdy. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I came back to say that right at the end of watching ep. 3 I realized bad boy is Victor from Love, Victor! Don't know how I forgot that, I think he might be the cutest kid I've ever seen.

Anyhoo, I try to see this show through the eyes of the teens and although that was a long time ago for me, I will never forget all the dumb shit I did. My first boyfriend in high school was a bad boy, and after him I realized it was all about good boys for me. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, festivus said:

My first boyfriend in high school was a bad boy, and after him I realized it was all about good boys for me. 

LOL, it took me until I was in my late 20s and divorced to realize I should look for the good boys. Luckily, I found one, and we've been married 43 years.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, festivus said:

I realized bad boy is Victor from Love, Victor!

Wow! I knew I'd seen him somewhere, but I completely failed to make the connection!!! 

Very different characters AND very different look, but same eyes and tone of voice.

42 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Wow! I knew I'd seen him somewhere, but I completely failed to make the connection!!! 

Very different characters AND very different look, but same eyes and tone of voice.

Yep, that's how I figured it out, finally got a good look at his eyes. The shaggy hair was hiding them most of the time. I knew I'd seen him before but I watch a lot of teen shows, lol.

• Like 1