Type keyword(s) to search

Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story Of American Gladiators - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Netflix 5-part docuseries streaming June 28

Chronicles the meteoric rise, dramatic fall, and gripping behind-the-scenes stories of one of the biggest spectacles on television during the height of the ’90s. Told first hand from the stars who lived through it, this five part series reveals untold stories of the iconic American Gladiators’ triumph, turmoil, and ultimate price of fame.

• Useful 3

Aw, my mom and I used to watch this on Saturday mornings when I was in like 8th/9th grade.  I don't remember much about it, or what had us hooked on it.  I'll definitely have to catch this series.

Looking forward to this, especially seeing what the Gladiators look like now.  Nitro, Laser, Gemini, Turbo, Zap, Lace, Sky, Jazz, etc.  So many other names I've forgotten but would probably recall if I saw their faces.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Looking forward to this, especially seeing what the Gladiators look like now.  Nitro, Laser, Gemini, Turbo, Zap, Lace, Sky, Jazz, etc.  So many other names I've forgotten but would probably recall if I saw their faces.

I read that quite a few of the former Gladiators turned down the offer to appear due to the creator that's still allowed to speak about the show.

• Useful 2

Watched the first two episodes last night. I was maybe around 12 when I first remember watching the show, so I was probably the exact target viewer. So far the big shocking things were how crappy the pilot was. Like they had no idea what they were doing. And even the first half season was awful. I can't believe how crappy the games looked, how little the producers cared about safety (they didn't even have an on-site medical team) and how there was only 3 male and 3 female gladiators so they basically had to do everything.

Also did I hear it right that due to the difficulties in setting up each event they would do like all the joust events for each episode all in one day. That would have to make it super boring for the studio audience.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 6/6/2023 at 6:50 PM, Jaded said:

I read that quite a few of the former Gladiators turned down the offer to appear due to the creator that's still allowed to speak about the show.

The first and main Gladiators that I remember are in the show. One early fired cast member given the story of why he was gone with the onscreen text of his refusal to appear. The later Gladiators and international cast are basically just mentioned in the concluding episode.

Along with cast they got a fair amount from producers and the main director. And went into a live national tour by the group.

I still haven't seen the 30 for 30 episodes on this subject.

Edit to add:

Hawk being the most prominent in my memory of the Gladiators just seen in the background without their participation.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 6/6/2023 at 9:50 PM, Jaded said:

They weren't involved in the 30 for 30 not this one for the post part. Other than say Gemini and Sabre, there aren't that many major Gladiators on that one.

Not to be shallow but the women aged remarkably well. Especially Ice and Blaze. No knock on the guys. Most of them look great too. Then there is...Tower.

Just joking. He aged well enough. It just also looks like he literally shrunk.

Edited by Racj82
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Not to be shallow but the women aged remarkably well. Especially Ice and Blaze.

I think Ice is hotter in the current interviews than she was on the clips from the show. Although that frizzy 90's hair style did not help. 

Overall I think this might be my favourite of the Netflix sort of lighter pop culture documentary series I have seen. Although I think that when they talked about how the show ended it was just sort of a changing of the times thing and I don't think they could have really done much to stop the drop in popularity. I am kind of surprised that they didn't mention the 2008 revival and I kind of wonder if the current writer's strike keeps going if it will get brought back again.

Also that arena tour sounded brutal. But the tour manager guy did seem kind of stupid. 

And lastly I did love how they showed the clip from the Simpsons of Milhouse's mom dating Pyro. But they should have shown the one where she was cheating on him with Gyro. Because whenever I think of American Gladiators, Pyro and Gyro is the first thing I think of.

• Like 4

I too loved American gladiators. I probably was too young to watch it, but what the hell. 
I was interested to see how they all look now. Overall I thought it was pretty boring. Like yea they all took drugs and steroids. Duh.  
the guys did get me a little teary with their issues and coming to terms with them. So good on them!

• Like 1