Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Janitor's Boy

oompa
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

They don’t have any knowledge that they’re on a planet or anything? No knowledge of how the outside world around them even works?

Why would they? They've been underground for over a hundred years and all the records of the Before Times have been conveniently destroyed. I'm intrigued by Cafeteria Guy.  Either the rotation of the Earth  (if that's where they are) is part of a simulation or only the vegetation looks dead.

The memorial service was interesting. They waste nothing.

• Like 2

I ended up a little confused. Was that really Kennedy’s apartment, and Juliette tricked the shadow guy (can’t remember his name) into thinking he planted the evidence in the wrong place, or had it been handed over to an older couple, as she said (or do we even know).

Regarding the stars outside, while I was surprised he didn’t know what they were, I’d suspect there are people in the silo who know more about what’s going on than gets shared with the general population.

• Like 5

So... people on the Silo don't even have a clue about what a planet is, what a sky is, what stars are....
Did this happened on purpose? or because the rebellion destroyed all history?
But really.. I can't just accept that people who knew about history till the rebellion, they din't pass it orally to the next generations.
So I can only assume they keep them ignorent on purpose. 
The truth is we do not even know if it was rebellion who destroyed the history archive or they just pinned it on them.
And why the Pez is so important?

In other news, if you live in the Silo and you have knees issues...

• Like 8

I admit that I fast forwarded through much of this episode. So, were they threatening to kick someone out to clean? Have they explained what happens to people who they kick out to clean who refuse to clean?

I am guessing most will clean in hopes that others will see that there is a green planet out there. Being the person I am, this would make me suspicious why someone they forced out will willingly clean the lens. Maybe I misheard and only those who ask to go clean leave to do it.

Anyway, with each episode I become less interested and think that Common is not a very good actor.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Zaffy said:

So... people on the Silo don't even have a clue about what a planet is, what a sky is, what stars are....
Did this happened on purpose? or because the rebellion destroyed all history?
But really.. I can't just accept that people who knew about history till the rebellion, they din't pass it orally to the next generations.
So I can only assume they keep them ignorent on purpose. 
The truth is we do not even know if it was rebellion who destroyed the history archive or they just pinned it on them.
And why the Pez is so important?

In other news, if you live in the Silo and you have knees issues...

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Some of the higher ups must have knowledge about the world that they are keeping hidden for some reason. It seems like at least some of this would still be passed down.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Rickster said:

I ended up a little confused. Was that really Kennedy’s apartment, and Juliette tricked the shadow guy (can’t remember his name) into thinking he planted the evidence in the wrong place, or had it been handed over to an older couple, as she said (or do we even know).

Regarding the stars outside, while I was surprised he didn’t know what they were, I’d suspect there are people in the silo who know more about what’s going on than gets shared with the general population.

We were just as confused about that apartment issue. 

When Kennedy's wife died, they put him to a smaller apartment and put a couple in his old one. This somehow didn't go on the records and when the Judicial agent tried to frame Kennedy he put the "evident" in the wrong apartment (his old one). 

14 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am guessing most will clean in hopes that others will see that there is a green planet out there. Being the person I am, this would make me suspicious why someone they forced out will willingly clean the lens. Maybe I misheard and only those who ask to go clean leave to do it.

It is up to each  person to clean it or not. Which is why the ones watching from inside celebrate when someone cleans.
But I suspect most of people indeed cleaned cause they see a different scenery when they are outside and they think by cleaning the lenses others will see as well.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Not a spoiler (as I haven’t read the books), but are the shadowy figures who actually run the silo pulling the “wool” over everyone else’s eyes?

(edited)
On 5/27/2023 at 6:54 AM, marinw said:

Why would they? They've been underground for over a hundred years and all the records of the Before Times have been conveniently destroyed. I'm intrigued by Cafeteria Guy.  Either the rotation of the Earth  (if that's where they are) is part of a simulation or only the vegetation looks dead.

It seems that the image seen through the cafeteria "window" is actually a video being played on a loop. We saw it glitch when they turned off the power. The "daytime" image that displayed very briefly during the glitch was the same one that Holston saw in his visor when he went out.

Neither the Silo inhabitants nor we the audience know what it actually looks like "out there".

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 4

Surprising that they don't cremate people when they die. But I guess composting is the next best thing. The apples tossed into the grave didn't make sense to me though. Do rotting apples help with the composting?

Do deputy Hank and Juliette have history? She was acting a bit coy with him.

The sheriff's secretary is kind of insubordinate. Can Juliette not fire her or does Juliette realize she needs her institutional knowledge?

Man, you really have to be in good shape to be running up and down all those stairs. How is everyone not thin? Maybe most people tend to stay within a few floors.

Hah, I knew Trimble was getting tossed over the ledge. Weird that judiciary security would kill one of their own guys, but apparently it was necessary to head off Juliet's investigation. Judicial is like the mafia but luckily Juliette is onto them.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Surprising that they don't cremate people when they die. But I guess composting is the next best thing. The apples tossed into the grave didn't make sense to me though. Do rotting apples help with the composting?

In a world of extremely limited resources, where everything is recycled, cremation would be a waste of good organic material. Composting is the best thing to do with a body.

I think the apples are just a gesture. Just a guess, I don't know.

• Like 2