Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E20: Irish Exits

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Frank worries about his longtime friend Lenny Ross (Treat Williams) when he suspects the former officer is hiding his true reason for returning to the city. Also, Danny and Baez investigate when Baez and her daughter are targeted by a criminal Baez once put away; Eddie gives her partner, Badillo, relationship advice when his ex-girlfriend is physically attacked; and Anthony is sucked into the inner workings of an underground crime ring when his chaotic cousin, Joey, begs him for a favor, on BLUE BLOODS, Friday, May 12 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

Here's where the reality of TV productions really runs hard into the reality of how people interact with each other. In real life, the chances of Danny and Baez NOT becoming a couple are extremely slim. Two single cops in their 40s who clearly love each other (even if is currently a platonic love) are GOING to get together. However, if they get together, they can't be partners anymore, so the show isn't going to suddenly tell Marisa Ramirez that, "Oops, sorry, because you and Danny are together, you will go from appearing in 16 out of 22 episodes to appearing in, like, 3 episodes a season as his girlfriend" (as they sure wouldn't follow Baez on her own cases). 

So instead, they have to go juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust to the point of being a couple without actually having them get together. It's annoying, but completely understandable, and I know it's for the best for Marisa Ramirez, so fair enough.

• Like 7

Good summary! I won't mind if they get together in the last couple episodes of the last season. Danny being the father of a daughter will make his head explode.

So Frank takes away Treat Williams's daughter's courtesy card, and gives her HIS courtesy card. Enabling much, Frank? So many "rough patches!"

The main plot of the guy out to get Baez was underwhelming. She knew who the guy was. They got the guy. No red herrings, no false accusations (The Danny Reagan Special), and where the hell did a guy just out of prison get the money to buy fancy flower arrangements and a house IN CASH? 

I like the relationship Eddie has with her partner; they go well together without having to worry about "chemistry." And yes, Jamie IS Sergeant Flawless!

• Like 4

Has Danny ever called Baez "Maria" In such a concerned (and lovingly? ) manner before?

If they were to become a couple, wouldn't they still be allowed to work together, in the same way Jamie and Eddie were?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, MDL said:

Has Danny ever called Baez "Maria" In such a concerned (and lovingly? ) manner before?

If they were to become a couple, wouldn't they still be allowed to work together, in the same way Jamie and Eddie were?

The Jamie/Eddie thing was "solved" by making him a sergeant so they wouldn't ride together anymore.  It was already skirting propriety when they continued to work in the same precinct.  That wouldn't work for the two detective partners, as they are not going for promotions. 

5 hours ago, MDL said:

Yeah, as noted, the Jamie/Eddie thing already doesn't really work, but they came up with reasonable enough workarounds (not really, but close enough) by making him a sergeant and giving her a new partner, but that wouldn't apply here. At the VERY least, they couldn't be partners anymore (more likely, they would have to switch precincts), and that's fair enough, but they've already split Eddie and Jamie's plots up, they really don't have the room to split up Danny and Baez's plots, as well (while hiring two new actors to play their respective new partners), so they're really kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, where either they continue doing this "Will they or won't they?" deal until right before the show ends (as @kwnyc notes, it wouldn't have to be literally the last episode, but it would have to be near the end of the series) or they just screw Marisa Ramirez over by making Baez Danny's girlfriend and effectively dropping her from the cast (there's not many scenarios on a TV show where two characters becoming a couple means one of the characters gets dropped from the cast, but this is one of them).

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Yeah, as noted, the Jamie/Eddie thing already doesn't really work, but they came up with reasonable enough workarounds (not really, but close enough) by making him a sergeant and giving her a new partner, but that wouldn't apply here. At the VERY least, they couldn't be partners anymore (more likely, they would have to switch precincts), and that's fair enough, but they've already split Eddie and Jamie's plots up, they really don't have the room to split up Danny and Baez's plots, as well (while hiring two new actors to play their respective new partners), so they're really kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, where either they continue doing this "Will they or won't they?" deal until right before the show ends (as @kwnyc notes, it wouldn't have to be literally the last episode, but it would have to be near the end of the series) or they just screw Marisa Ramirez over by making Baez Danny's girlfriend and effectively dropping her from the cast (there's not many scenarios on a TV show where two characters becoming a couple means one of the characters gets dropped from the cast, but this is one of them).

Did you miss the preview for next week’s episode? Danny’s former partner appears. She didn’t look too perky, so maybe it’s just a one-off guest appearance, to give the actress familiar work.

7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

But if Baez became Danny's girlfriend, they'd have to invite her to Sunday dinner--and her kid too.

But that's even more reason for them to NOT do it, ya know? Because you're right, they'd have to pay her to show up for a few minutes at the end of the episodes, while also paying another actor to play Danny's new partner. This is a show that is forcing everyone on the show to take a significant pay cut for the show to get renewed, I don't think they're looking to ADD cast members, ya know? 

1 hour ago, Daff said:

Did you miss the preview for next week’s episode? Danny’s former partner appears. She didn’t look too perky, so maybe it’s just a one-off guest appearance, to give the actress familiar work.

Yeah, that's great to see. I did an article about it, it's nice to see that they're making up with Esposito, as there was some real hard feelings when she was let go. There are two more returning actors in the finale!

https://www.cbr.com/blue-bloods-season-13-finale-jennifer-esposito-sami-gayle-return/

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 5/13/2023 at 2:17 PM, kwnyc said:

Danny being the father of a daughter will make his head explode.

At the age she is now it would not make his head explode, but give it another decade and yeah. It's the classic, "I know what guys that age are like, I was one of those guys." 

On 5/13/2023 at 2:17 PM, kwnyc said:

I like the relationship Eddie has with her partner; they go well together without having to worry about "chemistry." And yes, Jamie IS Sergeant Flawless!

Me too. It's a genuine friendship/partnership with no romance at all, which is great to see. I love that Sergeant Flawless is Jamie's official nickname at the precinct. When talking to friends, I had been borrowing Al's description of Sam as "the original boy scout" from Quantum Leap. 

On 5/13/2023 at 2:46 PM, Maverick said:

Not quite.  He has bad taste in tropical shirts.  

It would have been awesome or horribly cheesy (I can't decide which) if they had Jamie wear one of the prints that Selleck wore back on Magnum P.I . 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Danny to Baez:

“Your daughter can’t make it without you. Neither can I.”

Is this the most romantic line that BB writers can come out with??! Not ballsy enough heh. 🙄

What Frank did to find out about Lenny’s medical condition, that isn’t cool. Lenny is entitled to his privacy and Frank should respect that. Frank did the same thing with Grandpa Teeth’s diagnosis before.  

• Applause 1
On 5/16/2023 at 2:12 PM, zapper said:

did no one else notice the complete absence of Baker? Neither my wife or I heard a toss away about why Baker was not at the "dream team" meeting.

Ha, I didn't notice.  I was not paying attention to that story line.  Snooze.

On 5/16/2023 at 2:02 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

What Frank did to find out about Lenny’s medical condition, that isn’t cool. Lenny is entitled to his privacy and Frank should respect that. Frank did the same thing with Grandpa Teeth’s diagnosis before.  

That WAS pretty freakin' weird, right? "Oh, the doctor can't break privilege, he'll just tell you the names of two other patients whose diagnoses you know, so you will know what he has...which is, of course, PLANILY breaking privilege."

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 5/15/2023 at 1:23 PM, Sarah 103 said:

It would have been awesome or horribly cheesy (I can't decide which) if they had Jamie wear one of the prints that Selleck wore back on Magnum P.I . 

Yes! That would've been hilarious! Total missed opportunity!

• Like 2
On 5/16/2023 at 2:02 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Frank also snooped into Reddick’s medical condition in a different episode…apparently if you’re the PC, doctors have no problem breaking patient confidentiality.  I get Lenny is dying but Frank giving the daughter his card is probably going to make her be more demanding when she gets pulled over not less.

The Danny-Baez thing was corny, I think it’s better they don’t put them together or do so when the show ends.  Wasn’t Danny “dating” the retired police officer or was that just a one-time thing to show he was willing to date again?

• Like 1

I think she was a one-time thing. The psychic also looked to be a potential match, but i guess audience polling didn't pan out.

and then there is always the ride into the sunset by joining partner #1 Jackie in her small town life village.

• Like 1
On 6/23/2023 at 1:16 PM, kwnyc said:

RIP Treat Williams.

I know!   I’m just getting caught up on the last 2 of this seasons episodes. I didn’t realize he had filmed this episode so I just thought they would either never mention Lenny again or just have him pass away in Florida (I think that’s where he was).