Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Peaches & The Jilted Bride

• Start Topic

Jilted bride Laura arrives on the island still in her wedding dress, having just been stood up at the altar. She's never felt worse in her entire life, and her fantasy is to just feel better. The Island surprises her with her childhood imaginary friend, Peaches, in real human form and helps Laura rediscover that her inner child is exactly who she needs to move on from her heartache. Isla tells Ruby about the complicated past between her people and the Roarkes. 

Premiere Date: April 24, 2023       FOX       9pm 
Jessy Schram as Laura
fantasy-island-season-2-episode-11c.jpg
Kyla Pratt as Peaches
Chuck McCollum as Arthur
Judy Kain as Melanie
Nick Thompson as Brad
Bryan Cid Borrero as Harrison
Onix Serrano as Dave

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Uh oh, Isla is messing with Ruby’s memories

Is it dumb to be skeptical that a White girl would have a Black girl as an imaginary friend?

I think that would depend on what kind of music she was into, I think the imaginary friend would be based on a cool celebrity you admire.

53 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Is it dumb to be skeptical that a White girl would have a Black girl as an imaginary friend?

Why wouldn’t she have any imaginary friend she wants? Or real friends for that matter.

14 hours ago, DanaK said:

Well, the supportive Black bestie that exists to prop up the main character's self-esteem is a pretty common trope in movies and TV shows. 

I can't believe that Kyla Pratt is 36 yo! 

I love Ruby’s hair. 

Ooooh, not Ruby roasting Roarke's white suits, lol.

Good intentions aside, Elena does have a bad habit of making decisions for people instead of having frank conversations with them. It's happened twice with people she cares about, and it's ended up hurting them and making them distrustful of her. 

• Like 3

This is a good episode. A Hallmark princess plays a jilted bride, how refreshing!

It’s easy to go for a cliché and blame the groom for everything. So, it’s nice for Laura to finally realize what actually drives him away. Her parents are really sh!tty.

Isla and her people? How many mermaids are there in Fantasy Island? Ruby definitely has a fishy taste when it comes to love.

Javier is right. Elena cannot be making decisions for him and Ruby, they are not the island’s guests. Elena needs to learn to trust people she cares about.

• Like 7

It seems that if Ruby wants to be with Isla, she will need to join her in Isla’s world and in doing so, will become an entirely different being. It also seems that Elena knows this. I believe that if she chooses to go, Ruby will not be able to keep her memories of her past life, in addition to ceasing her current job on the island. She should be aware of that before she chooses, but no one seems willing to explicitly state that. Tough choice, considering how she seems to treasure her memories of her kids and her marriage.

Maybe Elena will have learned her lesson about interference, and can provide factual information to help Ruby make an informed decision.

• Like 4

It is not Roarke's position to make decisions for other people (although to be fair, that's kind of her role on the island). But Ruby can't make an informed decision because Isla is influencing her. First it was the song that Isla put into her head that Ruby couldn't get out. Now she is removing Ruby's memories of her life before Isla such as the memory of her upset over the napkin colour and maybe moving on to her live with Mel.

Of course, it would help if Ruby had more maturity. Right now, she is still functioning at tween level.

I would like to thank the show for supporting my fashion choices. Last week Alley Mills wore the tan leather sandals that I got from Simons, this episode Laura had on my Joe Fresh striped shorts. Go Canadian fashion.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:42 PM, DanaK said:

That's what I wondered too, but while less likely, it's possible that there was a Black character in a movie or TV show that appealed to Laura and that she based Peaches on. Kids are much more accepting than adults

• Like 3
  • Love 2

So the main plot in this one was way better than the previous episode. Peaches was fun AND helpful! Kyla Pratt can still pass for a twenty-year-old! Like someone else mentioned, I liked that it wasn't just a case of the groom being a jerk; and I'm glad that the bride worked out her issues and got back together with him.

Yeah, I don't know why they feel the need to make Elena and Ruby's relationships complicated.

• Like 2

I haven’t read your posts. I just started watching this episode.  I’m supposed to believe the bride has been wearing her white wedding dress for three days and it’s still clean? 

The sound cut out during Javier’s and Elena’s conversation about Helene. What was the upshot? Never mind - I read the posts above and  I think I understand the point of the conversation. 

Edited by mythoughtis
On 4/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, statsgirl said:

But Ruby can't make an informed decision because Isla is influencing her.

Isla isn't just a mermaid, she's a Siren.  That's what Siren's do - the Siren Song.  They make sailors forget about their lives on land so they will join them in the sea.  In general, Sirens are bad.  (I am not bothering to google this, this is all from memory, so my apologies if I'm getting a bit of Siren lore wrong.)  I'm actually surprised Roarke wouldn't tell Ruby this point blank - hey, your girlfriend is an evil mythical creature who is using magical powers to get you to fall in love with her.  Run away, girl!

On 4/25/2023 at 3:25 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Ruby definitely has a fishy taste when it comes to love.

Ha ha.  I see what you did there.  😄

My first impression of Peaches is that she was modeled after Raven Symone in That's So Raven.  Early 2000's sitcom. 

The main thing I learned from this episode is that advance reservations are not necessary for Fantasy Island.  You can apparently drop in at a moment's notice. 

Loved Roarke's cut out dress!  But I was amazed to see her standing in the sand in the opening scene with Ruby.  They had a full length shot, and there must have been a board under the sand, because her damn high heels weren't sinking into the sand.  (I can twist an ankle and fall by just looking at uneven pavement, so I see these things and just cringe as to what would actually happen in real life.) 

• Like 1
On 4/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, DanaK said:

I was thinking that too. I guess it depends on what the girl's influences are, what she is watching, listening to, where she grew up etc. For me it was more of an eye roll thing as it was just a means of marking the ever precious diversity box. 

I'm not the least bit interested in Ruby or Isla. 

On 5/3/2023 at 11:01 PM, chaifan said:

Isla isn't just a mermaid, she's a Siren.  That's what Siren's do - the Siren Song.  They make sailors forget about their lives on land so they will join them in the sea.  In general, Sirens are bad.  (I am not bothering to google this, this is all from memory, so my apologies if I'm getting a bit of Siren lore wrong.)  I'm actually surprised Roarke wouldn't tell Ruby this point blank - hey, your girlfriend is an evil mythical creature who is using magical powers to get you to fall in love with her.  Run away, girl!

If that is the intention then they need to cast a much more charismatic and better looking actress. I don't buy the woman they have in the role as making men want to run their ships aground. 

• Like 1