Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Your friend could be not only down about her circumstances, but she may also be embarrassed about her situation as well (i. e., too embarrassed to face you). Maybe let her decide when to get together.

This is exactly what I was going to say -- when you feel down and out, it's a hell of a lot easier to go get your hair cut and pretend everything is fine than sit down with a friend who knows what's going on, even when that friend would be nothing but compassionate and supportive.  I think it's good to keep occasionally asking if she'd like to get together, but not so much it feels like you're pestering her, and basically let her take her own time with this.  Because while she probably is making up excuses not to get together, it is unlikely this has anything to do with not wanting to see you because of you; she probably just isn't emotionally ready to see you (or anyone to whom she's close enough to feel awkward around under the circumstances) because of her.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 11

When I don’t have $ I don’t want to go anywhere because I can’t afford it. Maybe why she doesn’t want to meet. Or she is sick or something. 

20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My friend who up until September has been living in Chicago moved back to town. She’s been going through a hard time and I’ve tried to be as supportive as I can, but it’s hard to do only from text. I’ve kept asking if she wants to get together, but it feels like she’s just coming up with excuses to blow me off. The latest one is her parents refuse to wear masks and get the new covid booster and because she’s stuck living with them for the time being, she’s worried it’s not a good idea. Believe, I’m all about being careful so while I understand, it’s hard not to feel disappointed and frustrated. Getting her hair cut was evidently her first big priority when she came back to town, but not seeing me. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

I've skimmed through the Golden Bachelor thread here a few times after being inundated with commercials for the show, so I know what it's about even if Reality shows are not my thing (neither are horror😜).

So now I'm wondering if I'm seeing the influence of The Golden Bachelor on popular fashion among oldsters like me.
Maybe it's just because we're having a few days of weather into the 70s before the below-freezing nights start in a couple of weeks, but today when I went for a walk on the beach, I passed a Golden Bachelor clone throwing around a volley ball by himself, wearing longish surfboard shorts and nothing else except maybe a spray-on tan. I passed him again on my way back to my car, still at it. 
Then, when I got to my car, there was a woman my age-ish (70) getting out of her car with her long hair straightened and, well, golden colored, and she was wearing really high-heeled sneakers.
I hope they found each other, LOL.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
51 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I've skimmed through the Golden Bachelor thread here a few times after being inundated with commercials for the show, so I know what it's about even if Reality shows are not my thing (neither are horror😜).

So now I'm wondering if I'm seeing the influence of The Golden Bachelor on popular fashion among oldsters like me.
Maybe it's just because we're having a few days of weather into the 70s before the below-freezing nights start in a couple of weeks, but today when I went for a walk on the beach, I passed a Golden Bachelor clone throwing around a volley ball by himself, wearing longish surfboard shorts and nothing else except maybe a spray-on tan. I passed him again on my way back to my car, still at it. 
Then, when I got to my car, there was a woman my age-ish (70) getting out of her car with her long hair straightened and, well, golden colored, and she was wearing really high-heeled sneakers.
I hope they found each other, LOL.

I cannot stand it! What the heck is going on with our older generation? But then...what is going on with the generation just behind and their making Halloween a big palooza of a holiday (it used to be just little kids trick or treating and *nothing* else)? When I see huge blown up creatures on lawns, I worry about the very littlest trick or treaters, out there so excited about showing off themselves in their cute costumes. And then coming face to face with OTT gross & scary creatures on front lawns? Give me a colossal break. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I cannot stand it! What the heck is going on with our older generation? But then...what is going on with the generation just behind and their making Halloween a big palooza of a holiday (it used to be just little kids trick or treating and *nothing* else)? When I see huge blown up creatures on lawns, I worry about the very littlest trick or treaters, out there so excited about showing off themselves in their cute costumes. And then coming face to face with OTT gross & scary creatures on front lawns? Give me a colossal break. 

Halloween is almost as big as Christmas in some neighbourhoods.  My son's preschool/Junior Kindergarten was on a street where people went ALL OUT.  It's like bigger is better.  When I was growing up, it was just Jack O'Lanterns.  

• Like 4
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I paid $20 for the year. I pay $2 a month for Hulu through the promotion too. 

I am gonna wait until Black Friday I guess. 

HBO was a few bucks for 3 months as a promo too. 

I am gonna go broke around Black Friday 🤣🤣🤣.

Great deals.  I wonder if they will do the same come next month.  Seems everything is going up.

• Like 1

My Lambchop is ready to Trick or Treat as Tigger (and he is very bouncy), but it might ❄️snow❄️:

tigger.jpg.2cea02f054200751320ffbcd4dda7c9b.jpg

I don't like scary stuff, but what was really scary was when Lambchop/Tigger's mom was about 8 years old, we moved to a neighborhood that I discovered that first Halloween was full of scary people without costumes. 
From the following year on, it was strictly school-sponsored Halloween parties. 
By the time she was 12 we were in a very nice neighborhood (single librarians get the nice-but-low rent places) but I think school parties were still the thing because nice neighborhood parents don't trust random candy.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My Lambchop is ready to Trick or Treat as Tigger (and he is very bouncy), but it might ❄️snow❄️:

tigger.jpg.2cea02f054200751320ffbcd4dda7c9b.jpg

I don't like scary stuff, but what was really scary was when Lambchop/Tigger's mom was about 8 years old, we moved to a neighborhood that I discovered that first Halloween was full of scary people without costumes. 
From the following year on, it was strictly school-sponsored Halloween parties.

I thought it was twin babies!

I have two pumpkins to carve, but don't know what to carve into them. I have to get it done by Saturday at 5pm. that's when our town trick-or-treats. Then other local towns do it on Sunday, or the actual day of Halloween.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

When we drive home from one town we shop in, and visit a bookstore (like I did tonight), we pass one home where the front lawn is full of inflatables. They do it for Halloween and Christmas, at least. I should get a picture, before he takes them down. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Another major Costco win for me! I've been in my new-to-me house since July and while I have mini blinds (soon to be upgraded) my bedroom desperately needed curtains but the ones I like are so expensive and I couldn't decide what I wanted.

Long story short, I wandered into Costco for my weekly trip, saw a 2pk of 100% blackout curtains with magnetic closures in the navy blue I've been seeking for $24.99. WIN!

I picked up a third set today (I have 3 windows and each window needed two panels) and saw they went on sale. So curtains for all my windows in the right color for $60 (Costco price-matches themselves within 30 days of purchase.

Based on the other curtains I was looking at, this purchase basically paid for my membership in savings alone.

For those who are interested: https://www.costco.com/oscar-blackout-curtains.product.4000201260.html (note: items on Costco.com are typically a few dollars more expensive than in-store, as reflected in this item).

We just got a costco, in North Canton. We checked it out last Friday, asking about the vaccines (a friend told me that they were free at Costco, but that was only for some with insurance - the lady there, told me to go to the Walgreen's website, if I have no insurance at all). Anyway, dad was thinking we might try for the cheapest membership, at least to get some things in for the holidays. They also had my "calm" magnesium powder in a much bigger size, for the same price I paid at Fresh Thyme. Big pumpkin pies for $5.99, when our stores sell smaller pies for almost twice that much. 

5 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I don’t like Halloween at all. It terrifies me and the movies the everything. Im a scaredy cat.

I love spooky movies and shows, but not many of them scare me. I don't like gore, so I avoid anything like "Hostel". You just reminded me of a cute comic I saw, a few months ago. That one scene in "the grudge" where the girl was hiding under the blanket - *that* got me. Like the very end of Carrie did, when I was a kid. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrD2lixslEl/

Edited by Anela
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I thought it was twin babies!

Thankfully, no. 🙃
But she is going to have another (her last) a couple of days before he turns 2.
🤪
That seems too close together for me.

1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

I don’t like Halloween at all. It terrifies me and the movies the everything. Im a scaredy cat.

I no longer sleep for long enough stretches to get nightmares anymore, but I still loathe all that gory stuff. I'm always relieved when they pull it off the shelves in the stores and stop showing it on TV during commercial breaks.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thankfully, no. 🙃
But she is going to have another (her last) a couple of days before he turns 2.
🤪
That seems too close together for me.

My 2 are 22 months apart. It was hard at first, but as DD got a bit older she and DS really got along and played well together. It really worked out well for me, but it could easily have gone the other way too if their personalities hadn't meshed so  well.

Edited by Gramto6
added "apart" in first sentence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I love Halloween. I have 7 pumpkins to harvest for the seeds. I'm so excited I have a yard to decorate and hopefully kids of all ages coming by for candy. I don't care how old someone is or how dressed up they are, if you knock you get candy.

My company has a huge fall festival with a costume contest, rides and carnival food.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

The Halloween movie music makes me so scared for real. I can’t deal with it. And is it November 1st yet?

Oh, the scary music was the worst! I enjoy watching old Perry Mason reruns now, but it scared me as a kid because of the intro music. 

9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I love Halloween. I have 7 pumpkins to harvest for the seeds. I'm so excited I have a yard to decorate and hopefully kids of all ages coming by for candy. I don't care how old someone is or how dressed up they are, if you knock you get candy.

My company has a huge fall festival with a costume contest, rides and carnival food.

Ah, yes. The fun version of Halloween.
Making costumes and carving pumpkins: Yay!
Scary stuff: Boo! 
(unavoidable pun?)

Just now, kristen111 said:

Does she know if it’s a boy or girl?

Another boy. So that should be simpler in most ways, but, if it's anything like sisters, more competition than if it was a boy and a girl. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh, the scary music was the worst! I enjoy watching old Perry Mason reruns now, but it scared me as a kid because of the intro music. 

Ah, yes. The fun version of Halloween.
Making costumes and carving pumpkins: Yay!
Scary stuff: Boo! 
(unavoidable pun?)

Another boy. So that should be simpler in most ways, but, if it's anything like sisters, more competition than if it was a boy and a girl. 

My youngest has two boys three years apart.  They are adorable and are very close. 😀

• Love 3
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

My youngest has two boys three years apart.  They are adorable and are very close. 😀

I always thought 3 years apart would be perfect because the older one is verbal enough so you can at least try to explain why the baby is crying etc. And 3-year-olds love to ask "Why?" But they're still close enough to do a lot of the same activities.
But 5 years separated my 3 from each other, so what do I know?

• Like 2
Just now, shapeshifter said:

I always thought 3 years apart would be perfect because the older one is verbal enough so you can at least try to explain why the baby is crying etc. And 3-year-olds love to ask "Why?" But they're still close enough to do a lot of the same activities.
But 5 years separated my 3 from each other, so what do I know?

I have two Sisters, so was dying for a boy.  I have two girls and one boy.  Love them all, but am closest to my Son.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

It's funny reading the Halloween comments here.  When I was growing up a long time ago (I am 70 now) it was just going down the street in whatever costume you got or made up and getting candy.  To my mind it wasn't associated with anything truly horrible or bloody in any scary sense at all.  

Maybe the addition of so much horror movie promotion is the result of cable/streaming TV making it so much easier to watch these things on cue.

I think maybe the shift to Halloween parties started in the 1970s or 80s around the time of the Tylenol poisoning scare (not sure if that was local to the NY area or widespread).  

I know I've mentioned this before, but when I saw Psycho in college, that made me realize that my tolerance for horror/blood/gore on screen is just about zero.  Maybe in a silent or other old film where things are generally more suggested than shown I could manage it.  But anything from the 60s on I definitely will avoid.  

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, roseha said:

It's funny reading the Halloween comments here.  When I was growing up a long time ago (I am 70 now) it was just going down the street in whatever costume you got or made up and getting candy.  To my mind it wasn't associated with anything truly horrible or bloody in any scary sense at all.  

Maybe the addition of so much horror movie promotion is the result of cable/streaming TV making it so much easier to watch these things on cue.

I think maybe the shift to Halloween parties started in the 1970s or 80s around the time of the Tylenol poisoning scare (not sure if that was local to the NY area or widespread).  

I know I've mentioned this before, but when I saw Psycho in college, that made me realize that my tolerance for horror/blood/gore on screen is just about zero.  Maybe in a silent or other old film where things are generally more suggested than shown I could manage it.  But anything from the 60s on I definitely will avoid.  

I used to watch movies like "Scream" with my sister. We watched "Lights Out" the last time she was here (April 2017), before driving her back to Canada. 

I love spooky stories, and used to listen to Ghost to Ghost, on Halloween. Art Bell, when he was on the air. I guess the new host is still doing it, but I always forget to tune in now. 

I mostly grew up in England, and they didn't really do trick-or-treating. The few times we tried, we got some sweets, but a lot of people turning out their lights, or telling us to quit begging. People bring their kids to our neighbourhood, and some remember our house for different reasons, like the pipe we used to send sweets down to the kids, in 2020. I love that feeling in the air, knowing the kids are happy and enjoying themselves. We once had a little girl that dad asked if she was a good witch or a bad one, and she happily said, "BAD". 😄

I still haven't chosen something to carve into the pumpkins. I'll have to think about it tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, theredhead77 said:

Another major Costco win for me! I've been in my new-to-me house since July and while I have mini blinds (soon to be upgraded) my bedroom desperately needed curtains but the ones I like are so expensive and I couldn't decide what I wanted.

Long story short, I wandered into Costco for my weekly trip, saw a 2pk of 100% blackout curtains with magnetic closures in the navy blue I've been seeking for $24.99. WIN!

I picked up a third set today (I have 3 windows and each window needed two panels) and saw they went on sale. So curtains for all my windows in the right color for $60 (Costco price-matches themselves within 30 days of purchase.

Based on the other curtains I was looking at, this purchase basically paid for my membership in savings alone.

For those who are interested: https://www.costco.com/oscar-blackout-curtains.product.4000201260.html (note: items on Costco.com are typically a few dollars more expensive than in-store, as reflected in this item).

Thank you for this, your timing is perfect!  👏

I just moved into a new place and I was reading through this thread feeling a little chilly and thinking the big windows that I love and were a major reason for my move mean less insulation.  Also the blinds that come with the place are white, like the walls, so it's a bit stark, especially since I haven't put anything on the walls yet.  So, these curtains sound perfect and I immediately ordered some - there are none in my area and only available in blue online, but that's fine, what I would have got anyway.  If they don't work, I'll just return them, but I'm hopeful.  A little more expensive than yours, but still incredibly cheap, so my main concern is that they won't look great in a small space.

Thanks again!!  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Thank you for this, your timing is perfect!  👏

I just moved into a new place and I was reading through this thread feeling a little chilly and thinking the big windows that I love and were a major reason for my move mean less insulation.  Also the blinds that come with the place are white, like the walls, so it's a bit stark, especially since I haven't put anything on the walls yet.  So, these curtains sound perfect and I immediately ordered some - there are none in my area and only available in blue online, but that's fine, what I would have got anyway.  If they don't work, I'll just return them, but I'm hopeful.  A little more expensive than yours, but still incredibly cheap, so my main concern is that they won't look great in a small space.

Thanks again!!  

You seem happy with your new home, @Ancaster, but then, as we used to say: "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog" (or cat, or bird...) and you might have almost as many misgivings about your new place as I had when I moved here 2 years ago (and still have).

I am about to make a decision to move again. 
Any words of wisdom, Chit Chatters?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

You seem happy with your new home, @Ancaster, but then, as we used to say: "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog" (or cat, or bird...) and you might have almost as many misgivings about your new place as I had when I moved here 2 years ago (and still have).

And words of wisdom, Chit Chatters?

I think maybe you mean "Any" words of wisdom?

If you do, then mine would be if you think you need to/should move, do it!  I would have been happier if I'd moved a while ago but I was lazy, and then covid lockdown did bad things to my mental health.  What gave me the final impetus was the knowledge that long Covid is giving me a tendency to depression plus I've started suffering from SAD (seasonal affective disorder), which was exacerbated by my former place's location and orientation.

If you do move, my best advice from the last couple of days is have your bedding, toiletries, a change of clothe, some food, a water bottle, and a flashlight in your car with you and put it straight into a place where it won't be buried by boxes or furniture!

Oh, and a penknife so you can open those thousand and one boxes looking for some of the above-mentioned.  (I have one on my keychain, which helped.)

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And words of wisdom, Chit Chatters?

If it’s to be near your family, do it.  We had a beautiful home in sunny Florida, but moved back to N.Y. to be near our kids and grandkids.  Cost a fortune, but we are happiest being near them.  Life is short.  Just MO anyhow.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

If it’s to be near your family, do it.  We had a beautiful home in sunny Florida, but moved back to N.Y. to be near our kids and grandkids.  Cost a fortune, but we are happiest being near them.  Life is short.  Just MO anyhow.

They also like the help that we give them.  Plus the kids are entertaining.  Concerts, activities, plays, etc.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, kristen111 said:

How far by car are you from your grandkids now?

++++++++

8 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I think maybe you mean "Any" words of wisdom?

Ugh. Yes. If I've typed "And" for "Any" once, I've typed it a bajillion times. 
Thanks!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

We are happy where we are for now but if we do move it will be because we'd want to be closer to the grandkids (and the kids too - but mainly the grandkids 😀).  Right now we're about a 45-60 minute drive which means we are a little far for anyone to just drop by.  For some that would be a positive but for me I'd like to be closer.  Maybe not Everybody Loves Raymond closer with in-laws across the street but closer would be nice.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
11 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Right now we're about a 45-60 minute drive which means we are a little far for anyone to just drop by.  For some that would be a positive

🙋‍♀️  (Just kidding, as everyone I know knows better than to pull a pop-in on me -- but if anyone was prone to that, I would be very glad to be outside their drop-by zone). 

My parents are about a 15-minute drive away, which is very convenient.  I normally see them three or four times a month, but for two months now various health problems have meant me going over a couple of times a week -- at this point I wish they were within walking distance!

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

We are happy where we are for now but if we do move it will be because we'd want to be closer to the grandkids (and the kids too - but mainly the grandkids 😀).  Right now we're about a 45-60 minute drive which means we are a little far for anyone to just drop by.  For some that would be a positive but for me I'd like to be closer.  Maybe not Everybody Loves Raymond closer with in-laws across the street but closer would be nice.

My parents live in the same condo building as us, just two floors below.  So yeah, we have convenient (free) childcare, but not "the grandparents live with us!" close (my maternal grandparents lived with us when I was growing up so I grew up with a lot of myths and lies/fake news that my parents didn't know about until I was at least a teenager.  In a way, it kind of messed me up, but not horribly.  I'm surprised I didn't turn out to be a rebel/go through a goth phase!!!  Unless you count me trying to build more muscle, "rebellious."  My grandmother is definitely turning in her grave these days).

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So...what's the problem with your new location?  Didn't you move across country to be near your daughter (and a new grandbaby)? What's going on? 

• Useful 2

All my kids and grandchildren are about 25 minutes away in other towns.  We have been to their dance recitals, school plays, concerts and sports games.  We NEVER go unannounced.  Always call or are invited.  Now, we sometimes visit them in college too.  I never knew my Grandparents at all and missed that.

• Like 7
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So...what's the problem with your new location?  Didn't you move across country to be near your daughter (and a new grandbaby)? What's going on? 

My daughter’s house is 30 minutes away from my condo — the condo I never really wanted to buy. (A 30 minute drive each way is a bit much for me and my chronic shoulder pain and piriformis muscle pain, however, their house does not have a spare bedroom but does have indoor pets and can be a zoo at times — with a lot of barking.)

My daughter’s house is also 30 minutes away from the beaches of Lake Ontario — which are my places of sanity.

Of course seeing my grandson is always a big endorphin boost too.

The current decision is whether to sign a one-year lease to rent a duplex on the Eerie Canal that is 7 minutes from my daughter’s house — in time for the arrival of my second grandchild.

Rent is high. I will sell the condo, but probably not for any profit.

And moving always sucks. I’ve moved 35 times in my life, so I don’t think I’m ever going to not hate it.

🤔🤨🧐

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 7
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

And moving always sucks. I’ve moved 35 times in my life, so I don’t think I’m ever going to not hate it.

Over my lifetime I've moved a lot - I think roughly 25 times but some of those moves were as a child where my parents had to do most of the planning and actual moving.  Moving yearly, or if we were lucky every two years, for my husband's job over the course of about 15 years was hard but fun in some ways but now that I'm older the idea of hauling out packing boxes, disconnecting utilities and getting used to a new area has lost its charm!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hard decision when it’s just you doing the driving and all the work of moving.  Will daughter be in her house for a long time?  You could use a little help with everything should you move.  It’s a lot.  I don’t drive since my back surgery .  I get that 30 minutes is a lot.  Buying and selling is a pita too.  I guess it all depends if you have the energy and mindset to do all this by yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of grandchildren we had two of ours for a few hours this afternoon.  I made the critical mistake of getting my haircut while we had them so my husband took them with him to bulk barn while they were waiting for me.  As I reconstruct the scene later it appears they took a shopping cart and had a happy half hour going up and down the aisles while Granddad bought them candy from almost every bin in the store.  

Granddad being retired now may be a joy for the grandkids but it's going to hit our pocketbook.  Badly!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

My daughter’s house is 30 minutes away from my condo — the condo I never really wanted to buy. (A 30 minute drive each way is a bit much for me and my chronic shoulder pain and piriformis muscle pain, however, their house does not have a spare bedroom but does have indoor pets and can be a zoo at times — with a lot of barking.)

My daughter’s house is also 30 minutes away from the beaches of Lake Ontario — which are my places of sanity.

Of course seeing my grandson is always a big endorphin boost too.

The current decision is whether to sign a one-year lease to rent a duplex on the Eerie Canal that is 7 minutes from my daughter’s house — in time for the arrival of my second grandchild.

Rent is high. I will sell the condo, but probably not for any profit.

🤔🤨🧐

Oh, geez...I'm feeling wiped out just thinking of what you're contemplating. I wish I could help you with decision making and moving. You need a break (a peaceful abode and a closeness to those grandbabies).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Speaking of grandchildren we had two of ours for a few hours this afternoon.  I made the critical mistake of getting my haircut while we had them so my husband took them with him to bulk barn while they were waiting for me.  As I reconstruct the scene later it appears they took a shopping cart and had a happy half hour going up and down the aisles while Granddad bought them candy from almost every bin in the store.  

Granddad being retired now may be a joy for the grandkids but it's going to hit our pocketbook.  Badly!

Ha, tell me about it.  Husband always insists on bringing a Carvel cake, Dunkin Donuts, chocolate or whatever.  Then I sometimes slip them some $$ as they love $$.  I remember my Mother giving our kids a few bucks here n there.   But, I rather be with them than being in Florida playing canasta or mahjong.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
On 10/23/2023 at 1:37 AM, Ancaster said:

I can't be the only person who is not surprised to hear that hair relaxants have been found to be carcinogenic and that law suits are starting.  Didn't people wonder what might be in a product that can make curly hair straight?  Like formaldehyde?  And that maybe it's not a good idea to be introducing that and other unpronounceable chemicals into your body via your scalp or your hands or fumes?  Think of the people who work in hair salons in constant contact with this stuff.   How were these products were even allowed to be sold in the first place and why haven't people questioned something that causes such a drastic (unnatural) change that they're handling and exposing themselves to?

I have had three Brazilian blowouts in my life. Despite the fact my vain ass considered plastic surgery, I won't ever again have a hair treatment with formaldehyde. I can live with frizzy, dry hair. I've known a lot of people who've had Brazilian blowouts and similar treatments. Stylists I've spoken to insist they're safe, that various things are much more harmful, that the salon is well-ventilated, that you can mask, blah, blah. The treatments are so common and the fact stylists expose themselves to the chemicals constantly can make folks assume they're safe. 

I had fabulous smooth hair that was easier to style, but I will never get a Brazilian blowout again. Be careful everyone. Your health >>> your hair. Baby it with conditioners. Try to take it easy on heat styling. Use heat-free styles. Try the heatless straightening and curling methods. It requires more time and creativity, but you can have beautiful hair without such health hazards.  

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4

Anyone have comforting words for me? I got into an argument with a guy friend from work. I like the guy and think he's good at heart, but I called him out on the way he speaks around women in the office not being gentlemanly or appropriate. He likes to bring up boobs, butts, Playboy, his sex life, stuff that I don't think is respectful to us. (He dials it back around certain people but has always been crude around me.) I've also told him the way he talks will run off nice women. He's been with several women who've been crazy and/or cheated on him. (He's also admitted to cheating but makes excuse for it.) I think because he puts out the  vibe that he's all about sex, he is going to attract women who are mutually all about sex. He had excuses of everything-that he was going through a rough time when he said this, that he was just joking around when he said that, that since we're friends he thought it was cool to say that, that this particular woman dressed this way so he said that, that this woman who spoke about that way treated him like that, yet he insists those weren't excuses when I said they were excuses. 

He got upset with me yesterday, and I dread dealing with him next week. I've known him for quite awhile , and it's not the first time we've been candid or I told him I don't like the way he speaks. But he got really offended this time. I'm always leery of becoming friends with anyone in the office, but sometimes it just happens. There are people I go back with for several years now, have to interact with a ton, travel with, etc. Sometimes you develop somewhat of a bond and can see the good in them even if they have sides you don't think are pretty. I am going to try to be better about maintaining boundaries and minimizing any chat that's not work-related, but I sure miss when I could just work remotely every day. 

• Hugs 5
  • Applause 1